Lips Of Faith - Le Terroir - New Belgium Brewing

pDev: 10%
New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  7.50% ABV

A sour beer barrel-aged for two years and then dry-hopped with Amarillo and Cascade hops for 8 days.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-23-2005)
3.68/5  rDev -14.4%

22oz bottle served in Duvel tulip.

Huge thanks to Brian23456

A: Pours a hazy golden orange. Big fluffy head dwindles slowly.

S: Strangely sour. Scent is pleasant, but unlike other sours. The sourness is somewhat herbal, almost medicinal in some way. Band-aids? Actually got a whiff of cheese here and there. Odd, but nice.

T: Zesty, bracing citrus initially. Very tart green apple skin. Various milder sweet fruit flavors appear, if only fleetingly. Some mango, maybe apricot and a bit of nectarine. Crackery malt peaks out from behind the sourness from time to time. Finishes with a unique juiciness and then almost completely dries out.

M: Well carbonated, a little prickly. Could stand to be slightly more effervescent. Finer carbonation would benefit this beer.

D: Pretty easy to drink. This is an interesting beer. It's taken me over half the bottle but it just hit me that this reminds me a little bit of Cantillon Iris. Not nearly as good as Iris, but similar.

3.68/5  rDev -14.4%

22oz poured into snifter

A - Pours a light orange with white head, decent lacing but not a lot of retention

S - Very floral and fruity, grapefruit, lemon, and some blue cheese like funk.

T - To me it tasted very grassy, and sour! Almost too sour, masking some of the more delicate fruit flavours. I did pick up some lemon, apricot, papaya. This reminded me of chokecherries for some reason.

M - Light, dry, pretty refreshing.

D - A summer sour for sure, decently drinkable. Solid but not the best out there. I would pick up another bottle for sure.

3.7/5  rDev -14%

Served on-tap in a New Belgium Globe.

A - Lightly hazed tarnished yellow-orange capped by a finger and a half of foam that thins out pretty quickly. Leaves light lacing down the glass.

S - Apricot and peach moves into both a lactic and acetic sour smell. Very light funk. Perhaps the funk most others mention isn't as prevalent in the draft form as the bottle.

T - Same balance between lactic and acetic sourness, with a nice peachiness. I like how sour it is while still being pretty balanced. A sweetness at the end that is a bit much. A little citrus from the hops (I assume).

M - Moderate body with nice carbonation, but the cloying sweetness at the end clings to my tongue and mouth, not driving me to want to drink as much of this.

All in all, a good Wild Ale, with the issue of not being dry enough IMHO. A little dryer and the drinkability would go up. Could also use a little more funk, but like I said, maybe I'd get more of that in the bottle.

3.71/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2013 bottle shared at Proof. Pours a pale gold with some white head. Medium white collar, and no lacing. Aroma of citrusy hops and a bit of pine, lots of fruity funkiness. Taste is mouth wateringly sour, in a good way. Some of that fruit ester funk in the taste too. Light body, sour bite on the tongue, and low carbonation.

3.73/5  rDev -13.3%

bottled on: unk

A: Pours a light golden ale with near excellent clarity. A single finger of fine off-white head falls over a couple minutes to a centrally capped sheet of the same with a collar of central depth. Scattered cobweb lacing.

S: Brett dominates the initial draw. Then subtle tones of the dry hop come out: tropical fruits, citrus fruits. I cannot press how subtle this is - a mere thread. Mostly sour ale with hints of hay, earthy clays. Decent.

T: Ha! Quite tart, love that! Nice citrusy, lemony, sharp sour tones hit me in the forefront. Just what I was hoping for. Now let's see what else is in there.... Okay, a bit of a salt-water flavor underlying, a bit of grain and some sweetness, but nothing in comparison to the sourness. I really dont give a shit about the hops in this, the beer tastes great.

M: Thin body and medium to hi carbonation. Good, dry and mouth-watering finish.

O: This beer exceeded my already slightly inflated expectations. Good beer. Glad I have three more to sit on. Yum!

3.74/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had on-tap at Boat Works in St. Clair Shores, Michigan.

Appearance: A fairly clear orange/amber sort of color with only a few bubbles of foam on top of the beer. Minimal lacing. Not much to it.

Smell: It's always been hard for me to describe sours... uh. Funky? It has that odd wet trunk sort of vibe. A fruitiness I can't quite describe. Leather or something like that. Just that really odd "I probably shouldn't be drinking this." smell that for some odd reason actually doesn't smell shitty.

Taste/feel: Funky, but a bit different from the smell. The first thing I notice is the surprisingly high carbonation with a really sour/tart note, followed by the flavors I can hardly describe... I just always go back to that wet trunk comparison, likely from the yeast+barrel combination. Fruitiness from a fruit that I can't pinpoint.

Sours are clearly still not my forte, but they're something I could easily see myself liking more in the future as I drink them. A year ago, I'd've rated this beer considerably lower.

Lips Of Faith - Le Terroir from New Belgium Brewing