Lips Of Faith - Le Terroir - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-23-2005

A sour beer barrel-aged for two years and then dry-hopped with Amarillo and Cascade hops for 8 days.
Reviews: 435 | Hads: 2,058
3.71/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2013 bottle shared at Proof. Pours a pale gold with some white head. Medium white collar, and no lacing. Aroma of citrusy hops and a bit of pine, lots of fruity funkiness. Taste is mouth wateringly sour, in a good way. Some of that fruit ester funk in the taste too. Light body, sour bite on the tongue, and low carbonation. (324 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

New Belgium Lips of Faith Series La Terroir 2013.... this beer is incredibly balanced....hops are noticeable but transparent...the citrus tones come in with an intense lactic acid sour...little to no head...smell isint all that...but this beer is STUPENDOUS!!! Very light refreshing lemon mango and apricot tones come in with a nice dry finish along with some light oak flavors...superbly crafted sour beer...,.first time i hae had this beer.. very mouth watering every sip... Just superb...8 thumbs up out of 9. (512 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -12.2%

22oz bomber poured into a duvel tulip, translucent orangish producing 1 1/2 fingers of white bubbly stickage that is here and gone to a thing ring, with spotty lacing.

A - Not the most familiar with the style making it difficult to compare but here we go, first whiff smells like absolute shit of rotten pineapple, old cheeses and butchered fish...not much cascade hop aroma. im not sure if the smell grew on me or i just got used to it but there are a lot more things i'd rather sniff

T - Very tart, almost make-a-weird face tart, although somehow i find it pleasant, lemony flavors yeasty earth tones. like biting a lemon almost but not as simple, not much of a hop flavor nor malts. This beer for some reason had me laughing the whole time so strange but it grew on me throughout.

M - minimal carbonation, medium to light bodied...kind of prickly in the back. mouth feel is not amazing but whatever.

O - quite an experience, i wouldn't mind having more or seeing what some age will do. Interested to try more of the style. (1,030 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had on-tap at Boat Works in St. Clair Shores, Michigan.

Appearance: A fairly clear orange/amber sort of color with only a few bubbles of foam on top of the beer. Minimal lacing. Not much to it.

Smell: It's always been hard for me to describe sours... uh. Funky? It has that odd wet trunk sort of vibe. A fruitiness I can't quite describe. Leather or something like that. Just that really odd "I probably shouldn't be drinking this." smell that for some odd reason actually doesn't smell shitty.

Taste/feel: Funky, but a bit different from the smell. The first thing I notice is the surprisingly high carbonation with a really sour/tart note, followed by the flavors I can hardly describe... I just always go back to that wet trunk comparison, likely from the yeast+barrel combination. Fruitiness from a fruit that I can't pinpoint.

Sours are clearly still not my forte, but they're something I could easily see myself liking more in the future as I drink them. A year ago, I'd've rated this beer considerably lower. (1,019 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -12%

22 oz bottle from Chuck.
American wild ale.
A:pours a great 2 finger white head, golden straw body, some stringy lacing
S: sour musty hay, honey suckle, citrus, mango, peach
M: medium light
T: sour, sour, sour, some hints of citrus, lemon
O: not a big sour beer drinker but the are growing on me. This one has some great aroma but most of the taste is a strong sour. (367 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle. Poured into a New Belgium tulip glass, how appropriate! Pours an ever so slightly hazed copper straw color with a a finger off white head. Hops in the nose right off the bat of a more fruitful note, with grapefruit and some tropical aromas. Behind all that is a medium level of sourness with lemon like notes. Medium/light mouthfeel. Decent sourness and sweetness in the upfront, some mustiness as well, with an ending lingering bitterness from the hops. As it warms, an earthy/oaky flavor makes itself known. For the price, this is a solid brew. The lingering bitterness is interesting. The 7.5 abv is not noticeable at all. No real lace. (647 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -11.7%

22oz. bottle served in a DFH signature glass. Shared in line at the FFF XV Anniversary Party.

A:Pours a clear, deep straw with some orange undertones. A one finger frothy white head forms on the pour and leaves some splotchy, spotty lace on the way down.

S: Some light citrus hops are present and slightly tart orange and apple peals. Nothing outstanding.

T: Taste is much better. Great tartness and some sour fruit skins are balanced with a nice sweet citrus hop undertone. There is a little woody oak with a slighty vinegar-like pucker on the backend.

M: Light bodied with a slightly drying mouth and tiny pucker on the finish.

O: The dry hopping really added a nice citrus hop undertone to this and I'm glad I was able to still get a little pucker out of it. (766 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -11.3%

Pours a hazy, very dark golden orange color with golden yellowish orange hues when held to a light and a 1.5 finger pllowy white head. Good retention, slowly fading into a thick lasting ring. Sporadic spots of lacing left behind.

Earthy aroma with a balance of oak barrel character and floral citrus hops. The dry hopping is very prominent n the nose with lots of floral, resinous hops and a lot of sweet tropical an citrus fruit notes. Hints of grapefruit, mango and orange peel countered by a sly pine needle character. Lots of wood and vanilla character from the barrel but I'm not picking up much funk or barnyard notes. It's there underneath the other notes but pretty faint. Very unique aroma.

Medium bodied with and odd balance of tart sourness and earthy bitterness. Slightly puckering but not acidic with a sweet lingering vinegar presence in the finish. The tartness up front is accented with hints of light berries and subtle creaminess. As in the aroma, the barrel character is prominent with lots of dry earthy wood and faint vanilla notes. Also, the dry hopping adds a very strange bittersweet character which I have never encountered in the style. It adds some sticky, piny dryness to the barrel notes but also counters with lots of sweet tropical/citrus flavor. Hints of mango, orange peel and a ton of grapefruit.

This beer is really different because it starts off tart and puckering before being countered by the dry, sweet hop presence which again gives way to a lingering mouth puckering vinegary finish. I've been let down by the Lips of Faith series but this beer is a very interesting take on the style and something that I would like to drink again. (1,678 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.8%

A - nice clear copper color with a finger of fizzy head that dissipated quickly.

S - dry hopped notes come out strong, along with some peaches and cherries. Definitely leads you to think this is more of a farmhouse ale.

T - wow sour... Kind of overwhelming... But at least there are no off favors like some other wild ales.

M - definitely puckering, evaporates on the tongue... No lasting negatives

O - good wild ale although it's somewhat two-dimensional... Dry hop aroma and sour... Nothing more (501 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.8%

Pours a mostly clear golden-yellow with a frothy whitish head. Looks tasty.

Smell is predominantly citrus hops, with some nice mildly funky sour coming in behind it. As it warms up, the sour asserts itself more. Nice and fruity; tangerine is the fruit I get the most of, followed by lemon.

Straight up lemony sour, though a very pleasant, tart, soft-edged sour. I don't get much sharpness, which is nice. But unfortunately, I don't get much beyond the sour. Where are those lovely fruits I picked up in the nose? I get almost none of the hops anywhere in the flavor. Finish is a bit sweet and a bit acidic.

Mouthfeel is medium-light and well-carbonated, which I think goes quite well with the sour flavor.

I like this beer. I like the sour flavors, and I like the citrus hops in the nose. But I want more from the flavor than the initial punch of sour. Just not as complex as I was hoping. (893 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.8%

Light golden body. Three fingers of white head. Dies down to a slim head leaves decent lacing behind.

Smells of jam like mango and peaches. Tart, a touch vinous, some tea notes.

Taste follows smell citrusy lemon tartness, mango and peach jam, some tea, and some spicy oak.

Tart and dry. Very interesting to say the least. Worth trying for sure. (347 characters)

On tap at The Flying Saucer in Nashville, TN

A: A deep orange with copper highlights. Solid finger white head. Plenty of carbonation as I see bubbles rolling up from the bottom of the glass.

S: Bitter apple, vinegar, and grape.

T: Very heavy in the vinegar acidity, large tart apple notes along with some citrus orange. Light bitterness on the finish.

M: Medium in body, with good carbonation leaving a light crispness.

D: A super sour brew. Needs a bit more complexity for me, maybe some sweeter flavors of vanilla. (523 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -10.3%

Thanks to GrizzlyAdams for this trade. Review from notes from awhile back.

A: Golden blonde pour with some plum flesh tinting. A small frothy head forms and dies very fast and only leaves a bit of lacing.

S: Very tart and sour. Lots of acidic fruits and even more tartness.

T/M: The tartness is amped up even more in the taste. Lots of juicy fruits, mango, pineapple, green apples, lemon. The sourness starts to come out more as it warms, definitely some cider vinegar going on. Body is light but the carbonation is a bit weak. Pretty dry throughout.

D: Very tart and sour... this is borderline too much for me(edit: back then it was... would still be potent but it would be more drinkable and more enjoyable for me now). (725 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -10.3%

Received as one of several generous extras from jconrick1, thanks!
Pour is a little darker that I expected with little head retention though overall it still looks appealing with a cloudy pine sap color. The dry hoping is notable but not dominant, surprisingly it mixes well with the mild acetone tartness. There is also a little mustiness and a tropical fruit profile in the aroma, any concern about a mediocre NB commercial sour has been put aside now, I can tell this will be enjoyable. The flavor is soft amalgamation of peach, apricot, grain, lemon zest, and grass with none of those flavors coming through more than any other. This beer is more tart than sour but as a sour lover this easily scratches my itch for sour beer. Also the acetone detected in the aroma is not nearly as prevalent in the flavor as it was in the aroma, which is a good thing. Mouthfeel is moderate, could stand to be lighter but thats nitpicking abit. As far as drinkability goes this reminds me of a Berliner Weiss in that it is flavorful and refreshing without being overbearing or cloying, very satisfying. I would buy this if it were available to me locally. Recommended. (1,157 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -9.9%

Big thanks to awalk1227!

A: Golden straw in color, rocky white head. Nice retention.

S: Weird combo of juicy hops and musty funk, sort of clashy. A nice suggestion of tart fruitiness (mostly lemon) shines through, but as a whole the aroma comes off vegetal - almost onion like. I'm not totally convinced here. The combination of hops and funk doesn't necessarily work for me.

T: Much better than the aroma. Initial flavors include mouthwatering tart lemons coupled with some ripe peach. Quite juicy, a refreshing wild. Hops are subdued until the finish, where a marked hop bitterness now seems to fit quite nicely. Really high marks on the taste.

M: Mouthfeel is light and bubbly, champagne like. On the mark for a sour.

D: Perceived alcohol is much below actual ABV. Refreshing and enjoyable to drink, definitely something different. (840 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -9.6%

Review from notes. 22oz bottle shared at a recent tasting. It poured a bright, amber orange color with a thin white head to it.

The aroma has a very interesting mix of juicy hoppiness and funky, musty sourness. I get a little bit of a grapefruit and mango notes out of the hoppiness.

The taste shows more of the citrusy and fruity hoppiness to it up front with some notes of pineapple and mango to it. Towards the finish some bold tartness and mild sourness really come out. The sour, tartness and the hop bitterness combine to give it a pretty powerful finish. It's a very interesting mix of flavors.

The mouthfeel is on the lighter side with carbonation being high. Overall it was a pretty cool beer with some very interesting and unique flavors to it. Very flavorful and pretty enjoyable as well. (805 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -9.4%

Brown yet translucent, it looks good and refreshing. A relative fizz (unforgiving pour) settles to a yummy, succulent looking head that laces my glass like legs on a wine. It looks becoming...like a winner.

Smells sour. The smell is pretty pungent to me--so reminiscent of a Flanders I consider backing up off of it and sitting my cup down. The smell is more of a warning than an invitation.

The taste is more subtle than smell. I can't say I identify dry-hopping, but it's mouth-puckering appealing. It's refreshing in the same way as other appealing sours--it cleanses the palate beautifully. It certainly makes you take notice! It feels just sour enough, without a menacing kind of face you might expect from a relative sour rook. Compared to the sour way it tastes and smells, the feel is negligible.

The drink is incredibly interesting. I'm glad I bought it, and glad to have another one. As I suspect is normal for the style, I wouldn't wanna drink a whole bomber alone, much less take two! Great beer to share, certainly, and a good experience! (1,057 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to Jeff for this one. 22oz. bomber into Tired Hands stemware. Shared with schen9303.

Pours a 2 finger foamy white head with moderate retention. Beer is a clear slightly cloudy bronze. Lacing is stringy and web-like with great stick. Outstanding for the style.

Nose is slightly tart citrus and pine with a light booziness, resin, and pineapple. Papaya puree too. Fresh, crisp and clean.

Opens citrus, lemon zest and hop bitterness. A light sweet and tart mandarin in the middle with a sap and resin hop presence. Ends bitter and tart with a zesty finish and aftertaste. Decent but the dry hop presence is a bit awkward.

Light bodied with ample carbonation. Prickly and lively in the mouth and goes down bubbly and crisp. Finishes filmy and messy with a lingering aftertaste. Solid.

A very nice beer up and down but the flavor profile combination just doesn't work for me here. Worth trying but I'm personally not that big a fan. (940 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -9.2%

Night of the Sours '11 is nearly upon us!

Golden/copper pour, plenty of white head. Strong hop aroma greets my nose right away. Peaches and other citrus follow, with tart yeast bringing up the rear.

Tart peach and citrus, interesting hop profile behind. I think the beer works pretty well, but I'm not a big fan of peaches so it only goes so far for me. And it can't touch La Folie. (384 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -9.2%

New Belgium Le Terroir

A: Hazy golden orange, fluffy off white head with good lacing and carbonation.

S: I could smell this beer the moment the cap hit my counter. Hoppy, juicy, earthy overtones, backed with a strong pineapple scent and tart cherries, followed by whiffs of candied sugar, oak, and sweet caramel malt. Very nice.

T: My first sour, but I thought that this beer would be less tart. My god it tastes like barely diluted cherry juice, lemon juice and citric acid. I can't taste much malt but probably because I'm not used to the style and my palette's wrecked.

MF: To me this has a thin mouthfeel, crisp and wet and bitter and finishing with dryness.

O: Probably a great sour for people that are into this style. I ranked it based on the quality of the beer, which I believe is good. My palette just wasn't ready for it. (838 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

In the world of wild ales, this is more a somewhat tame one. Leather and barnyard tones. Mostly leather with a minimal hint of the barn. This is okay. I don't know if this was meant to be aged in order to bring out more character, but I feel like it could be bringing a lot more, but just isn't. Glad to try it, but not really doing anything for me. I prefer La Folie over this one. (382 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

A: A somewhat hazed yellow/orange hue topped with a bone white head which would seem to have pretty nice retention minimal to ok lacing.

S: Lemongrass and lemon peel going on and the nose does pack a punch. Funky fruity notes ... tropical and citrus, think the sour not pleasant to eat kind though, crabapple perhaps. This is smelling very lactic to say the least but not in an overall unpleasant way.

T: I think I just about nailed it with crabapple. This is like biting into a ripe crabapple. I actually have always liked them as a kid I ate them all the time off the tree, but the tartness turns many away. Hidden behind stronger sour overtones are some herbaceous notes of grassy like flavors as well. I would kind of like to see how this stuff ages actually. There are some mild spice notes that hint at wanting to come out but might be able to develop with some time if other more powerful flavors subside.

M: sourpuss

D: medium plus (945 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

22oz. bottle served in a Blvd. Tank 7 tulip. Poured a light gold with a couple of fingers of white head. Lots of carbonation. Citrus and hops in the aroma along with a slightly vegetal scent like green pepper. Nice tart bite, plenty of tropical fruit. Dry and light bodied. Hops come through in aroma, but not bitterness. Easy drinking. Nice beer, though the aroma dinged my rating a bit. (388 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -8.5%

from 22oz bomber.

A: pours slightly murky golden yellow. nice two fingers of head that leave a bit of lacing.

S: earthy hops, a bit of pine and citrus (tangerine?), followed by an untraditional funk - almost cheesy, a bit of sulfur. Later, the lingering smells off the tongue are overwhelmingly lime jello (aka the nuclear green mix flavor), then bits of pineapple, citrus, and the smallest of strawberry vanilla. the after-sip smells may be the best thing about this. On second pour, the cheesyness may be a bit medicinal.

T: sour and bitter, a strange mix of citrus and hops, perhaps amarillo. complexity of fruity sour and bitter mix well but not exceptionally. orange sherbet plus lime dominates the aftertaste. Wow I wonder how this would taste paired with meringue pie or carrot cake.

M: light-medium body. a nice tingle of carbonation but finishes very acidic. a puckering mouthfeel afterwards is similar to a sweetart's aftertaste in that the tongue feels extra mucousy.

O: I'm pretty sure I've eaten this flavor in ice cream form, when it came in some orange and green color. There's a huge candy-like component. I feel the dry-hopping added some aromatic complexity to what would have been an otherwise one-dimensionally citrus sour, albeit a tasty one. This isn't the best sour, but it's certainly one I'd order again and one I'd love to attempt to brew. (1,374 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -8.2%

429th review on BA
Bottle to tulip
650 ml

App- Hazy, fuzzy orange with a very nice two finger head. Some dots and a line of lace is all that lingers and a little bit of bubbles on top of the beer as it goes down each sip.

Smell- A very tart aciditic with both the dryness and oak coming through. It took a long time for scents to develop and reveal themselves.

Taste- This is damn near the best into sour I have seen. It's very pleasant with the cutting dryness against the wetter tart citric acids. Well balanced with the dry hops flavors. The taste was so sour to drive people away en mass but was so mind blowing to bring them in en mass either.

Mouth- Medium bodied with a medium/high carbonation. A dry peach aciditic taste lingers.

Drink- Great craft intro sour. This was balanced, tart, crisp, aciditic and dry all at the same time but it all worked. I would like to have this one again. (899 characters)

Lips Of Faith - Le Terroir from New Belgium Brewing