Lips Of Faith - Le Terroir - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-23-2005

A sour beer barrel-aged for two years and then dry-hopped with Amarillo and Cascade hops for 8 days.
Ratings: 2,023 | Reviews: 450
4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

not as big a fan of dry hopped sours as I thought I would be. This is a good example of the style though.

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

On-tap at Sheffield's pre-FoBAB party. Served in New Belgium tulip glass.

A - A murky dark orange color. One finger of off-white foam that dissipates to a mostly solid cap and thick ring. There's a little bit of lacing too.

S - Big sour acetic vinegar character, some sweet bretty funkiness, a touch of pediococcus lactic flavor, and some light floral and citrus hop notes. It really comes alive as the brew warms, with more barnyard coming out and an odd spicy aroma as well that I didn't dig all that much.

T - A rare beer where I find the taste is eminently better than the smell. More tart, with a lot of lemony character. Still a good amount of sour vinegar and funkiness. There's a brief hint of peachiness and then it dissolves into a light oak and Granny Smith apple finish.

M - Texture was good - my only knock was the carbonation had a little too much grit and not enough champagne style spritz. Otherwise a nice medium body with a great dry finish that has a touch of residual stickiness.

D - The 41cl(!) glass was a good serving size. I could have gone for another, but I need to save my liver for FoBAB tomorrow. Still it was hard to stop reaching for the glass. Nothing really inhibits drinkability other than having to reach for some Tums later in the evening.

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

A: Pours a somewhat hazy orange/brown with a decent white head

S: Has a tart funkiness to it, but also some oak and a hint of vinegar, not really getting much of the hops as others had described - if they're there, they're definitely taking a back seat to the other smells

T: The sourness definitely stands out most in this beer, especially up front, with a bit of vinegar as well; there's definitely some citrus hoppiness on the back end though - it's subtle, but it actually works really well with the other flavors, very different finish from any wild ale I've ever had which makes this one stand out

M: I love the mouthfeel, it's got a lot more body than most sours and really coats your mouth

O: This is probably the best of all of the New Belgium wild ales I've had and definitely unique among wild ales in general. I was worried that the dry hopping would create a weird IPA/wild ale hybrid that didn't seem at all appealing, but the wild ale characteristics definitely stand out most prominently with the hops hanging in the background and integrating themselves in very well.

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

22 oz bottle into a (New Belgium) tulip.

A: Pours a slightly hazy amber color. The head is a one finger off-white shade. It doesn't have the thickest-looking texture, but it's retention is excellent for a sour. A surprising amount of lacing is left behind. Considering it's a sour ale, it looks damn good.

S: I actually get more of the hops than I do the sourness. Hops provide notes of apricot, peach, grapefruit, mango, pine, and some distant herbs. Tartness lies in the background; personally I was hoping for it to be as sour as La Folie, but I can't deny that this is a quality aroma. Come to think of it, it kind of smells like a soured version of a beer Lagunitas would make. That's a huge compliment.

T: A nice profile of hops open this up nicely. Like the aroma suggested, it's heavy in apricot, mango, and pine, with just a subtle suggestion of herbs. The finish is...well, it's sour - in particular, it displays mostly a lemony tartness rather than a cherry tartness. Not suffocatingly sour mind you (or really, even as sour as La Folie), which simply means the interplay between the hop flavors and the tartness is superb. That's this brew's modus operandi in a nutshell: it takes two desirable qualities (hops and sourness) and balances them beautifully. Hell, I even pick up a malt backbone!

M: Tannic, dry, and puckering. It isn't really drinkable, but God is it wonderful to savor. So very, very wonderful. Carbonation takes a back seat to the palate puckering. On the plus side, the tartness isn't so overpowering that it strangles the tongue.

O: Fuck, this is tasty. Normally, a brew I really adore (for example, Troegs Perpetual IPA) I just want to guzzle 'til the cows come home, but this is something I'll savor happily - and still wish I had another bottle to drink. I need more of this in my life, right now.

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Had this one on tap at the Stone Sour Fest 09.

The beer was a hazy orange color with a half inch of foam.

Fruit salad sourness on the nose...a mixture of oranges, nectarines, apples, and peaches.

Sweet and vinegary upfront with some citric sourness and a nice dry puckering finish, oak tannins and bits of vanilla in the back. A bit salty. Some red and green apples, as well as some sour grapes. Low carbonation but quite dry in the finish making it very refreshing and easy to drink. I'd love to have this one more often. One of my favorites at the festival.

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a nice golden color with a funky floral, citrus, grapefruit pine aroma. Taste is like nothing I’ve had before. It starts off like a solid IPA and then slowly melds into what a sour ale should be. Tastes of lemon, grapefruit, oranges and lime on the hop notes. The sour starts when it crosses from pine into the citrus flavors that complement this beer perfectly as it transitions into mango and peach.Tons of tropical fruit flavor in this. Mouthfeel is very nice and refreshing.

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

22 oz. bottle from The Beer Mongers, shared with neighborhood beer buddy 3.28.11, poured into Delirium Tremens tulip.

One finger slightly rocky white head, medium dissipation with significant lacing. Multiple streams of rising carbonation quite a bit of which clung to side of glass, orangish amber clear body. Nose features a fairly significant hoppiness due to dry hop, citrusy, which compliments the sourish aroma. Taste mirrors the nose, more sour re vinegar than tart, big dose of citrus re meyer lemon on the back end but balanced by a Jolly Rancher sour apple (!), sweetish pears, dryish malt profile, damn funky. Mouthfeel is medium very good effervescence, not sticky. This was my buddy's first 'sour' and he was certainly intrigued. I liked the citrusy hoppiness of this which aided in drinkability and approachability. This was a very pleasant surprise, I wish I'd have grabbed more bottles, though I suspect the hoppiness won't hold up to prolonged cellaring. Another winner in the Lips of Faith series. A must try for the adventurous palates. One of the better beers I've had so far this year.

4.36/5  rDev +1.4%

22oz bottle poured into a New Belgium globe. Bottle generously provided as an extra by thagr81us in the 'Nice Piece of Glass CIF', thanks a ton Calton!

A - Pours a golden orange color with a torrent of rushing carbonation rising from the etched bottom to the surface. On top of the liquid rests a creamy, 2-fingered eggshell head with great retention for the style. The lacing is awesome as well, with a majority of the glass having remnants of the head left behind as it passes.

S - The name of this beer is very apt given what the nose provides. It's earthy and grassy, and has a noticeable funk and must to it. It smells old yet strangely refreshing. The dry-hopping also leaves a good amount of hops in the nose, with a ton of citrus and tropical fruits, including pineapple, mango, and peaches. An interesting twist, and I whole-heartedly welcome it.

T - Wow, if the nose gave off any impression of sourness, it was understated. Here, it's very sour, and up there with Russian River in that regard in my opinion. It starts off pretty malty in the front, before the bugs and hops kick in. There's no note of the alcohol here, and the finish is sublime, end with a huge peach and mango flavor that lasts and lasts.

M - Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with high carbonation. Even after letting it sit and being mesmerized watching the carbonation stream beautifully, it never seems to lose any mouthfeel or pop. A little mouth-puckering and zesty, and finishes rather dry.

D/O - Drinkability is moderately high. This is an interesting beer and I think the dry-hopping really adds a lot to this beer. I'm not sure of the age on this, but I don't think this has been released for a while, but even still, the hops still add a good amount of nose and flavor to this. The tartness makes it a slow-drinker, but the sustained mouthfeel and unique finish keep this one in my hand.

4.36/5  rDev +1.4%

Complex sour with tropical aromas.

Nice lacy appearance in the chalice with good carbonation in the mouth. What is that suddenly familiar aroma? I flashed on cutting a passion fruit in half and smelling it. More nose of pineapple guava. Tart profile is obvious from first dip of the tongue, but has a real underpinning of interesting tastes. Not exactly rich, but complexity includes some malt as well as the well balanced hops. Not overly bitter, but more like a green sour apricot taste. Hops and sour funk in the back of the mouth, like candied grapefruit peel.

One of the best and most interesting beers I've tried this year. I'm a big fan of New Belgium, and I'm glad to find an accessible and intriguing sour. Pizza Port in San Diego (Ocean Beach) had this.

4.36/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours a hazed golden orange with a 1-finger white head. Weak retention and lace.

The combination of the intensely fragrant hops and the sour aromas make for quite a bright and delicious smelling nose- intensely tropical with leafy hints of green tea, very ripe apples, fresh apricots, tart red grapefruit and melon rind. A subtle touch of buttered biscuit malt as well.

The palate flips the hop-driven character of the nose with a big, sour delivery of tart mandarin orange, peach and mango flavors. There's enough bitterness to balance but it never once outshines the tartness, while some floral flavors and a bit of mid-tongue resin (or are those wood tannins?) join in on the long, tart finish.

Definately very clean for a sour ale, without those earthy yeasty tones, but the brightness and intensely tropical vibe make this so nice on a hot summer day. The flavors in this are simply out of this world.

4.36/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2013 vintage. Tulip glass.

A: Pours an opaque, pretty gold hue with a half finger of off white head, champagne like carbonation. Good retention but no lacing.

S: Nice fruit (cherry, orange, apricot, mango), some sugar and grass, cherry Kool Aid, lacto sourness. Really nice stuff.

T: Moderate, sour lemon warhead-like sour, fruit (orange, mango, lemon, and light apricot).

M: Medium body, and medium-high carbonation which complements the sour flavor nicely.

O: Very tasty, with a nice level of sourness and great supporting fruit flavors. The combination of hops and sour works nicely. Highly drinkable and a great value. I’d keep this in the regular rotation if it were more easily available.

4.37/5  rDev +1.6%

Extremely happy to finally see this bottled, it's been about 3 years since first trying it at a fest then waiting for this day.

Hazy saturated orange body, effervescent carbonation rises from below. The offwhite eggshelll foam has a creamy texture, and laces in delicate patterns against the glass.

Aroma is very fruit dominated, and not by any single one. Peach, lemon, starfruit, lime, mango... it's an intoxicating tropical melange. Some contrasting oak and fresh yogurt notes are there too, lending some harmonizing 'wild' elements without getting too funky.

Flavor is moderately puckering, tart and verging on lemony sour. Some very light orange wafer cookie malt sweetness is there around the edges to contrast, with dry tannic bitterness in the finish. Carbonation is light, yet scrubs the palate clean. Hop elements are present though indistinct in the mix, lending some possible leafy orange tea notes, and residual bitterness. Dry hopping lends to the aroma only though, not the taste.

Le Terroir is a unique Wild Ale, fruit-forward and quenching, only moderately tart. Should appeal to a wide audience without losing any street cred.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

22 ounce bottle. Served in a tulip glass, the brew pours a slightly hazy golden/orange color with about a half inch off-white head. Head retention and lacing are both good. Aroma is fruity and sour, it smells like tart apples, apricots, peaches, lemons, and some vinegar. The taste is similar to the aroma, but I notice some white grape and a bit of pine/citrus hop flavors, too. The sourness isn't overpowering but you definitely can tell it's a mostly sour brew. I know it's a dry hopped brew, but I pick up more sourness than hops in both the aroma and taste. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's well carbonated and also dry. I think this is a pretty good overall beer, I'll definitely buy this again the next time I find it.

4.37/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2013

Hazy, rusty orange with a small white head that amounts to a loose collection of frothy bubbles. Tart, fruity aroma with some acetic notes coming through to join a touch of wood, while citrusy hops and grass waft above. Peaches, flowers, bergamot, and lime, getting better as it warms, adding a subtle tea-like smell to the equation. Sour flavor with a definite peachy, fruity hop element. Lots of stone fruit, grapefruit, and lingering sour lemon. Such a smooth melding of hops and sourness. Refreshing and drinkable, but not super acetic, which is pleasant. Very smooth and well rounded. Dry and slightly puckering, leading to some dryness on the gums. I could drink a lot of this if given the opportunity. I had to keep restraining myself from taking huge gulps. Seems less super dry and funky than Felix on its own, thanks to the lovely fruity and floral integration of hoppy goodness. Good stuff!

4.37/5  rDev +1.6%

I picked up a bottle of New Belgium's Le Terroir a few weeks ago for $14.99 at The Lager Mill. I've very interested in trying this beer and I've heard more than a few good things about it, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks good, it's got a nice design to it that goes well with the name and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a slightly clear golden amber color that took on more of a amber color when held to the light with a little over two fingers worth of bubbly slightly off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some patchy and spotty lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a fruit aroma being the first to show up with come citrus and tropical fruit aromas, but to me it's the apricot that shows up the most and it goes straight to a sour cherry aroma with the sour aroma starting to take over and it develops more of a sweet tart candy aroma to it. Up next i get some of the hops which I think were where some of the fruity aromas came from and there's also a light floral and light spicy hop aroma showing up in the background. This beer had a very good aroma, the hops seemed to add just enough complexity to it.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with some floral and spicy hops showing up a little and it leads right into the sourness which is on the high side and it has a slight vinegar aspect to it, but it still retains all the sweet tart candy aspects that it had in the aroma. Up next comes the fruits with the apricot showing up just for a second and it goes right into the sour cherrys which are really nice and more sour than cherry. On the finish the sourness lingers into the aftertaste along with some fruity and lightly hoppy flavors. This was a great tasting beer, the hops added just enough complexity to it.

M- Fairly smooth, a little acidic, a little crisp, not too dry, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a good mouthfeel that worked well with it.

Overall I thought this was a very good beer and I thought it was a very nice example of the style, I have had hardly any dry hopped sours, but to me this is what they should be all about, it's a sour beer first and once the sourness starts to fade just enough hops show up to remind that there is indeed some hops and this beer and I think it adds complexity to a style that can sometimes be to dominated by just sour and not much else. This beer had nice drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little acidic, a little crisp, not too dry, not filling at all and the taste did a good job of holding my attention, I think one glass is the perfect amount for me, I might be able to drink the whole bottle, but there's a good chance that the acidic aspect would start to wear on me. What I liked the most about this beer was how well the hoppy aspects worked with this beer, it's got some nice hop flavors and some really nice hop aromas with out adding bitterness which I think would really clash with the sour. What I liked the least about this beer was how acidic it was, I know that comes with the territory when it comes to sours, but if it was toned down just a little I think it would help the drinkability. I would for sure buy this beer again and I wouldn't mind seeing how it ages, but I'm not sure it would get any better since it's dry hopped. I would recommend this to any sour fans, it's for sure worth a try. All in all I was happy with this beer and I was little impressed with how well the hops worked with the sour, they used the hops in such a way were it accents the fruity sour flavors and it's far from dominating. So far this in now one of my favorite beers from New Belgium and in the lips of faith series, it's one of the better sours I've had and it's now the best dry hopped sour I've had. Great job guys this is one tasty beer and I really enjoyed drinking it, keep up all that hard work.

4.37/5  rDev +1.6%

I poured some of my 22 oz bomber into my New Belgium globe glass...

The beer is a hazy, orange, copper color with a thin, white bubbly head. You can smell a lot of acidity, some peachy aroma from the amarillo hops and I detected some tart apple and tangerine as well. When you take a sip there is lots of sourness on the tongue, taste consists of green apples, orange and white grapes, tart flavors pucker the sides of the mouth. This beer has low carbonation, it's medium bodied and bites at the tongue leaving a dry, sour mouth. I thought this was a wonderful brew, it's the first sour beer I've had and I look forward to having many more.

Cold 22 oz bomber into tulip

Appearance - Totally hazed over tawny golden, 1 finger head doesn't stick around for long, but leaves nice lacing

Smell - Faint but nice: sweet and sour tropical fruits and citrus, some honey malts deep in the background

Feel/Taste - Explosion of crisp and sour/tart fruity and citrusy up front, like biting into a granny smith apple mixes with sour cherries and lime all at once! After initial tart burst, flavors quickly mellow out and show deep complexities of tropical and stone fruit (pineapple, peach, mango) hops, earthy wood, and toasty, semi-sweet cracker malts melding together beautifully. Ample, spritzy carbonation on a medium body carries the flavor and scrubs the palate nicely, finishes dry and a bit hoppy. 7.5% ABV is nowhere to be heard of. A very slight aftertaste of oakiness mixed with lingers on and on...

Overall - My first foray into sours, and I must say, I'm veryimpressed with this beer. It's a sensory delight with a big blast of tartness up front that quickly mellows into a brew with many elements and complexities. I may not know a lot about sour beers right now, but I can tell this is a beautifully crafted beer in general.

4.37/5  rDev +1.6%

A: Pours a clear golden/orange color color. A two finger white head quickly forms. The foam gently recedes and leaves some light lace.
S: I love the aroma. Tart fruits all the way. Like a tart tropical fruit punch. Pineapple, peach, apples. Some wood/barrel character comes in toward the end, along with a bit of sweetness.
T: Tart and acidic pineapple. Wood and some sweetness. For the most part just full on pineapple juice. I like it a lot.
M/D: A medium body that is crisp, clean, very dry, and refreshing. So easy to drink. All day with this one. Especially during a hot day.

This is excellent. One of the most fruit dominate beers I have had. Add the tartness and the complexity of the wood makes for a great beer. Well done New Belgium, and highly recommended.

4.37/5  rDev +1.6%

I had my reservations, but this beer really surprised me. The strong fruit (mango, papaya, grapefruit) blasts through at first, and then the sour hits hard on the back end. Realy, really unique sour and definitely worth the $16 price tag.

4.37/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a tulip out of a 22oz bomber.

Pours a hazyy light brown with just a tiny white head that quickly fades away. really no lacing either.

The smell more than makes up for the lackluster appearance. Loaded with juicy peaches and cherries along with a healthy dose of funk. Some dankness there along with a touch of wood, mango and pineapple. Really nice.
Tartness and funk up front in the taste. This along with a flavor of wood and peaches. Cherry quickly follows along with mango and other tropical fruit. The dry-hopping is quite evident here. Some musty grapes and stone. Mouthfeel is tart and puckering finishing with just the slightest bit of stickyness.

Overall, an excellent beer from New Belgium. I love sours and the dry hopping just adds that added bit of complexity making this beer very interesting. Definitely one to pick up.

4.37/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours a slightly hazy golden orange. Good initial egg-shell white head that lingers for a bit before dissipating to just a ring. No lacing.

Strong sour aroma. White vinegar, sour apples, earthy hops, and a hint of sweet citrus. Some hop bitterness on the initial pour and after it warms more. Interesting mix of sour and bitter.

Mouth puckering sourness upfront, but settles down towards the middle. Finish is a mix of sour yeast and bitter earthy and floral hops. Not a huge hop presence but seems to balance the sourness. Nice tart finish with a lingering hoppiness.

Medium body with higher carbonation. Clean finish.

Very interesting and unique flavor that keeps me wanting more. Good level of sour flavor. Really enjoyable.

3/3/2011

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this on tap, now out of the bottle for a review. Fairly fresh, just showed up on the shelves.

Nice looking hazy neon orange with ample carbonation.

Acetic sourness with some green apple hits first. Peaches and citrus give it a tangy, hoppy vibe, even some pine shows up. I started thinking "IPA sour." Lots of brain pathways crossing on this one, a lot going on and combining tastes and smells that are usually mutually exclusive, at least in my experience.

Not overly sour, but some puckering and the lactic beats out the acetic in the mouth. (I think I would have liked this more if it were less sour, more fruity and IPA-like, like a New Glarus "sour" with a unique hoppy vibe.)

Overall, I like what they did here. Good execution on an interesting idea.

edit: had another. on second thought, I wouldn't change much. The hops had started to fade, but the beer overall is quite tasty. Upped the score some.

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

pours a nice amber orange. smells a bit strange due to the dry hopped sour. very crisp. really enjoy this taste as the sourness is mild and the hops mesh well.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle, Lips of Faith series.

Pours a slightly hazy golden with a big bubbly beige head that recedes quickly but leaves a clump in the middle being fed by a steady stream of bubbles from the bottom.

Aroma is initially hoppy but that's swept away by the big funky brett character and some vinegar as well. There are lots of tropical fruits underneath after the initial funk subsides with pineapples and oranges and some spicy oak.

The taste completely puckers my mouth with the first sip. Massive fruity tartness in combination with the acidity and earthy funk. After the initial sour onslaught, the toasted malts and lemony hops start to shine through, maybe some grapefruit and apricots. Finish is dry and oaky with plenty of lingering funk.

The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with good carbonation and exceptionally crisp and clean.

Overall, this is a great sour, but be prepared for the big sour blast on the palate, because if you are, you're rewarded with a complex and very drinkable beer. Big fan of this one.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bomber into tulip.

A: Straw colored, fairly clear with slight clouding body. White head that dissipates quickly leaving wisps of lace in the middle and clinging to the edge of the glass.

N: Sour funk, almost like spoiled milk and citrus.

T/M: Citrus and funk; very dry and very citric, like lemon juice, in the forefront. Definitely a sour beer. I do not pick up on the "IPA flavors" I have had so many tell me I would find, but i do note that there part of the citric profile comes from the hops. I mostly find this beer to be very dry and very sour, which is what I like.

This was definitely an interesting and complex beer; very refreshing for a warm evening drinking on the porch or in the back yard.

Lips Of Faith - Le Terroir from New Belgium Brewing