Lips Of Faith - Le Terroir - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-23-2005

A sour beer barrel-aged for two years and then dry-hopped with Amarillo and Cascade hops for 8 days.
Reviews: 435 | Hads: 2,058
3.92/5  rDev -8%

22oz bomber with no freshness date poured into Maudite stemmed glass, reviewed on 4/9/11

A: Pours a pretty clear golden orange with fluffy white head and good retention.

S: Strong, sweet grapefruit aroma is abundant from the dry hopping with some tang and funk in the background. The citrus is really pleasant and the tartness hints of some sourness in the taste.

T: This is a lot more tart and sour than the aroma lead me to believe. A big sour, tart bite with some acidity, lots of grapefruit, lemon and other citrus flavors.

M: Sweet and sour up front and finishes dry. Nice carbonation adds to the tingle on my tongue. Not mouth puckering sour but sour enough that I find myself licking my lips after each sip.

O: Great tasting sour that really showcases the hops in the both the smell and taste. I'll be buying more of this for sure, solid all around and costs significantly less per ounce than most sours around. (924 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured into my Duvel tulip- no bottle date. pours a transparent gold color, nice fluffy white head that recedes slowly. Smell- tart apricot, mango, peaches, some brett flavors. Taste- extremely sour citrus! I'm shocked at some of the reviews on this one that complained about lack of sourness. Its crazy sour. mango, lemon, bretty funk, carbonation is light, only thing I'm really missing is the dry hops here. some very mild acetone flavors, some sour apple and sour peaches here maybe? The sour is so overpowering that it makes it tough to pick out the individual flavors.

Mouthfeel- I have a feeling this bottle is a little old, could use more carbonation.

Drinkability- wow this is a sour bomb but overall I would seek it out again. (739 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -7.7%

Heck of a beer. I'm immediately hit with a tangerine and clementine - big fruit citrus with even the peel and seeds in there. Seriously, it's like fresh fruit. There's there's a peppery-lime tang with a balanced (not too big, not too small) sour hit. This is a juicy beer, but not too thick and on the drinkable side of sours. (326 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -7.5%

Served in New Belgium tulip.

A: Pours a lightly hazy yet luminescent deep gold. Head rises and falls, leaving splotchy lacing.

S: Sharp, overly ripe fruits tweak nose: peach, tangerine and oranges. Sour candies. Something musty lurks at threshold of smell.

T: The elements in the beer's smell blend seamlessly with taste, which is mainly sour and acidic. A blend of unsweetened peach, orange, grapefruit and pineapple juices. Citric acid sizzles across palate. Dry, fruity finish. Oak/wood/barrel are noticeably absent.

M: The body is a little lighter than medium, and the carbonation is tight and prickly, accentuating the citrus and sour/acidic notes very nicely. Clean and crisp.

D: Le Terroir is an engaging and uniquely American take on the sour ale style. The citrus of the hops work wonderfully with the sour and acidic taste. A fun and interesting beer to drink on a pleasant spring evening. (904 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -7.3%

(22oz bottle). Pours hazy apricot color with chunky off-white head. Aroma has lots of citrus, ripe summer fruits, and funk along with some florals. Wow, this is quite acidic/vinegar-like and I didn't expect that. Medium bodied with a dry finish. I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but the sour fruitiness is very refreshing. I like this quite a bit. (350 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -7.3%

Taken from notes on 3.11.11

A - pours a bright hazy orange with a bright cream colored head.

S - Smells of old citrus fruit.

T - Sour oranges, cherries, and grapefruit.

D - Starts sour, but smoothes out nicely.

O - This one left me longing for more. (254 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

New Belgium Le Terroir is a very interesting take on a wild ale. Citrus hops and sourness combine for a grapefruit-like effect. A clean and refreshing beer. This would be a great summer beer!

A: Orange colour and a head that fades to nothing really fast. 3.25

S: The smell is lovely. Some nice hop aroma as well as a little sour funk. 4

T: This beer is so unusual with it's mix of citrus hops and sour funk. The mixture makes for a clean, grapefruit-like flavour. Clean, dry, bitter finish. 4.25

M: I'd prefer more carbonation. 3.5

O: 3.75 (544 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -7%

I’ve been wanting to try a sour ale, and kinda bought this one on a limb.

L (4) – Pours a nice clear orange/copper color. Little bit of head on top.

S (4.25) – Smells really good. Get a citrus and hoppy aroma.

T (4) – They aren’t joking when they say “sour.” It’s very sour. I didn’t get a whole lot of the hop flavor, but I enjoyed it. I wasn’t sure at first, but I kept grabbing the glass for more.

F (4) – This beer is very carbonated, almost like a champagne. Maybe not quite that much, but a lot.

O (4) – Overall, I’m glad I got this beer. 22oz is a lot, and I’d have probably preferred it to have been a 12 oz bottle! I have no other sours to compare to, but I would drink this again. (737 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -7%

this didn't quite live up to the hype for me. a cool sour, highly prized, and finally scored. it pours a clearish orangey resin color with a good inch or so of just off white foam. the nose on it s quite sweet, and this beer is in fact a sweet and sour package. starts sweet in both taste and nose. mango and peach are obvious, possibly from the hops, possibly from something else. the sour part is the second half, lactic and puckery, but not as intense as it might be. its a good late summer palate, and a much more mild type of sour than I was expecting, and certainly when compared to la folie. bright fruit and sour go well together, but I found this a touch too sweet. it hurt my teeth and left my mouth feeling strange, like eating too many sour patch kids. dry as dry champagne too. the carbonation is nice though, and the body is right on medium. I am glad I had some friends to share this with, a whole bomber would have been too much. (945 characters)

22oz poured into a tulip, split 3 ways

A: Hazy golden yellow with a rocky 3 finger head.

S: Huge floral and citrus hop notes, with solid funk underneath also some apricots and peach notes.

T: a hoppy acidic sour with a piney notes from the hops, horse funk and lemon.

M: Perfect carbonation for this beer, enough to get flavors going but not too much.

O: not what I was expecting but surely it was enjoyable. Will look forward to having again. (449 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -6.8%

Aroma has some definitely tart cherry and apple notes on it...with citric grapefruit-type hop notes also being quite evident from the dry hopping. Actually reminds me somewhat of a red wine in a way.

Pours quite golden, which surprised me a little. Little head to be found.

Taste is very puckeringly tart, with something resembling apple cider vinegar combined with sucking on a lemon. While this beer says that it is dry hopped for 8 days, I wouldn't necessarily say that this is a hoppy beer at all. During the drink, the grapefruit taste of the hops peeks through the tartness a bit but never really imparts a bitterness on the tongue. It just serves to add complexity. Really, it's just tart from the start through to the finish. It isn't much less tart than sucking on a lemon. It's so tart that I found my mouth watering for quite a while after each drink automatically.

I'm somewhat new to wild ales, but I tend to like sour things so I enjoyed this one quite a bit. As I explore more, I'll hopefully find out if this is exceedingly tart for style or not. (1,065 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -6.8%

Bomber poured into a Duvel tulip. Hazy light amber with a surprisingly foamy off-white head 2 fingers or so. Decent retention and scattered patches of soapy lacing.

Nose is a nice balance of tartness- underripe grapes, green apples- and dusty/funky notes. Plenty of citrus zest thanks to the dry hopping. Not a ton of funk flavor, but enough to keep things interesting for sure. Loads of tart orange, lemon and green apple. Some sweetness lingers in the background. More tart than sour, which aids in drinkability, along with the crispish finish. A bite of bitterness toward the swallow, then bread and some tartness linger.

Overall impression: Nice little wild ale here. Recommended. (686 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -6.8%

Very good sour beer for those that have trouble with heavy-duty, vinegary sour beers. Purchased last summer at Chip's Beer and Wine on the Outer Banks.

Poured from 22 oz bottle into a Stone Imperial Russian Stout tulip. Bright orange color, hazy with a medium sized delicate, bubbly white head. The head fades fst and leaves minimal lacing.

Aroma is real nice, mostly sour fruit...more acidic citrus sourness rather than vinegary. Tastes good, even better as it warms up. Sour fruit.. a jolly ranchers type of fruit sourness that is more inviting than a blast of vinegar. There is some funk but I have had more with other Wild Ales. A little bitterness at the end and it is overall a very approachable Wild Ale.

Mouthfeel is light, nicely carbonated. The sourness is well within reason and the touch of hops at the end helps too.

Overall a nice beer for sipping. I had no trouble finishing the bottle myself. Nice! (919 characters)

22oz brown bottle
7.5% abv

Lips Of Faith Le Terroir was golden orange in color and hazy. It had an off-white head with decent retention and a little lacing. The smell was quite interesting with sourness and citric hops. The taste was tart with grapefruit flavors (sort of like a tropical fruit sweet-tart). It finished dry with some sourness on the tongue. It was medium light in body with mild carbonation. Overall this is a very interesting and refreshing beer. This beer is definitely worth a try. (501 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured from a bomber into a becker glass.

A: Slightly hazy, light orange-amber color with over one finger of eggshell-tinted foam head. Light spotty lacing remains on the glass.

S: Surprisingly mild, with crisp herbaceous and medicinal hops, a fine thread of acetic tartness, and a persistent whiff of old, dusty oak. Some fresh nectarine fruit develops as the beer warms.

T: Begins dry, with juicy grapefruit flesh that is enhanced--practically made three-dimensional--by balanced sourness and delicate hop aromatics. There is also just enough pine involved to merit mention. Bright stone fruit, more temperate than tropical, is revealed as the beer warms. Aggressive wood, well-cured but aromatic, emerges into the middle where it briefly dominates the palate. Some sweetness also develops, with toasted malt accents. The finish is mild compared to earlier parts, kind of hard to pin down, with lingering phantom acidity and some sweet malt, but little bitterness.

M: Medium viscosity; its favorable wetness, stickiness, and succulence is largely nullified by a deep and lasting acidic burn at the back of the throat; with moderate carbonation.

D/O: History tells us that New Belgium is much more adept at harnessing sourness than hops, yet this beer's flavor makes something amazing out of both--and it happens simultaneously. The attraction is found early in the flavor of the cellar-temperature beer; it may taste more like real grapefruit juice than any other beer tasted so far. Unfortunately this beer's pleasant but unremarkable smell is not its lowest point--the burn of acidity builds on the palate over time, becoming uncomfortable. Still, the flavors win out; they are impossible to resist, the resultant burn being a cost worth paying. (1,754 characters)

3.99/5  rDev -6.3%

Draft at Stone, drank this as a palate-cleanser alongside several vintages of Stone IRS. Poured into a tumbler, the beer appears a murky, hazy orange. The head is small and disappears quickly. The nose is funky and fruity, musty brett alongside aromas of plums and ripe strawberries. There's a ton of acetic acid, some lactic sourness and a touch of sweetness. The ripe fruit character pairs beautifully with the acetic sourness. The taste opens with a ton of lactic sourness and fruity sweetness. Strawberries, vinegar and a faintly herbal hop flavor come out in the mid-palate, with a bit of grain flavor beneath the sourness. The finish is sharp and very vinegary, more than I generally like, but this is really enjoyable in small quantities. (745 characters)

3.99/5  rDev -6.3%

Generously shared by PWoods. Pretty nice move by PimpP!

Light gold in color with ruby highlights in the glass. Little if no head at all.
Smell is very sour/tart, with a good amount of light fruit.
Taste is more tartness. But there are some insane, huge, juicy fruit flavors. Mango, peach, very nice and refreshing.
Bittering in the mouth. A bit more vinegar in the flavor than I care for.
Enjoyable, nice sipper. (414 characters)

3.99/5  rDev -6.3%

3.5 is what I gave the bottle I had in Vegas.

Full review for the bottle I bought at Liquor Shed for under $10.

A clear gold with an inch of foam, very good lacing.

The dry hopping is up front in the nose followed by the tartness that was lacking in the other bottle I had.

My, that dry hoppy goodness DOES go well with the sour notes. The dry hop to me consists of tropical fruit; a good compliment to the sourness, I reckon.

Medium body and carbonation, it's a smooth brew to my palate.

Nice. Not something I'd want very often, but nice. (547 characters)

ST: 22 ounce bottle purchased from Small Batch Liquor in Denver

A: Light amber color, creamy white carbonation, with slight hazy.

S: Citrus, dry-hopped nose with a mild acidic finish. The two smells blend very nicely.

T: Resembles a dry-hopped, malty pale ale, with an intense, but not overwhelming, acidic and sour finish.

M: A dry, acidic bite with a tiny, creamy effervescence.

O: An exceptional beer that places a unique dry-hopped twist, on a sour ale. We'll worth a try or two. (493 characters)

Poured from the bottle a clear golden yellow with a thin wet head. Light lacing left behind.

Aroma of sour apple, white wine, yeast and barnyard funk. A tropical fruit note appears as it warms.

Agressive sour apple taste with white wine and cider vinegar notes. Finishes with a bitter tinge.

Thinner bodied with a sharp carbonation.

This one is a definite acquired taste which I'm still acquiring. (401 characters)

This was delicious. Decent sour/tart pucker as well as the bright notes from the dry-hopping. As I sat with my buddy trying this one, we agreed that this would be an awesome brew to try and clone, and that it would be a great house beer. I am new to sours, and this convinced me to take a further plunge. Lips of Faith series rocks! (332 characters)

Poured from 22oz bottle. The only numbering on the bottle is "140819091", Possibly 08/19/14, so possibly a bit over two months old.
Color is a nice orange-golden body with a thin residual head staying throughout the glass. Nice legging, fairly sticky.
Smells of sour fruit, berries, apples and grass and the taste follows. A little more subtle than I prefer my sours, but I enjoyed the interplay between the Amarillo and Cascade hops and the fruity notes. Very nice. Lots of beautiful citrus notes, plum, raspberries, currants and everything else you would want in a nice sour.
Medium body with a slightly lactic finish. Overall, very enjoyable - easily my favorite from New Belgium. I would love to see them expand their lineup with these styles. (748 characters)

Last bottle of this beer - had it when it was first released in the Spring - lets see how it has aged.

A - Looks a bit like a DIPA - muddy orange and honey-color with a finger or so of head that dissipates quickly. Fair degree of lacing.

S - Not nearly as vibrant as when fresh - unfortunate. Still has remnants of the fruitiness from Amarillo hops, along with apple tartness and overripe fruits.

T - The fruitiness of the nose is up front, followed by pretty puckering sourness. Finishes with more of the apple cider vinegar notes. Solid sour - doesn't compare to what I remember from March or Russian River's offerings.

M - Medium bodied, crisp carbonation almost soda-like in effervescence. Nice and refreshing.

Found this beer to be much better and fuller in flavors and aroma when it was fresh. It has definitely mellowed and balanced out a bit but I miss that fruit-forward character it had a few months ago. Still worth seeking out. (944 characters)

Orangish pour light head. This beer smells awesome. Hoppy and fruitastic. Here is where things go south for me. The taste punches you in the mouth. I'm not a fan of sours. The thing about this one though is that there is some tasty stuff going on after the initial kick in the pants. It has a complex taste that I think would grow on me if not for the sour kick. I think this is probably right up the alley of all of the sour drinkers. Not for me, but I think it has some tasty aspects to it. (492 characters)

Poured into a pint glass at Barley and Hops

The beer is a hazy amber color with a thin coaster of white foam atop it. The aroma is lemon zest and light funk. Taste features big citrus notes, bitter hops and acetic tartness. Starts out sweet and fruity followed by a very nice hoppy bitterness and a sour, tart finish. Feel tends toward the lighter side with a nice level of carbonation. Overall I found this to be a very enjoyable offering from New Belgium. Light, refreshing and very easy drinking. (500 characters)

Lips Of Faith - Le Terroir from New Belgium Brewing