Lips Of Faith - Le Terroir - New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - Le TerroirLips Of Faith - Le Terroir

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  7.50% ABV

A sour beer barrel-aged for two years and then dry-hopped with Amarillo and Cascade hops for 8 days.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-23-2005)

3.8/5  rDev -11.6%

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Orangish pour light head. This beer smells awesome. Hoppy and fruitastic. Here is where things go south for me. The taste punches you in the mouth. I'm not a fan of sours. The thing about this one though is that there is some tasty stuff going on after the initial kick in the pants. It has a complex taste that I think would grow on me if not for the sour kick. I think this is probably right up the alley of all of the sour drinkers. Not for me, but I think it has some tasty aspects to it.

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

22 oz bomber poured into a tulip glass. 2014 version.

A - Translucent orange with ruby highlights. Small half finger head that moves to a thin lace.

S- Aromatic hops! Peach, apricot. No hint of sourness.

T - And there's the twist. Sourness on a slightly below medium level. It does stay consistent with the nose at first, until the slight sourness and vinegar take over. You also some get some blueberry underneath.

M- For a sharp and dry and finish, it is suprisingly low on the carbonation.

O - A good tasting sour, great aroma.

4.19/5  rDev -2.6%

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

Delightfully tart. Subtle pickup of the Amarillo hops. Yeah, I'd drink this one again. And again.

3.52/5  rDev -18.1%

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

I picked up a bottle of New Belgium's Le Terroir a few weeks ago for $14.99 at The Lager Mill. I've very interested in trying this beer and I've heard more than a few good things about it, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks good, it's got a nice design to it that goes well with the name and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a slightly clear golden amber color that took on more of a amber color when held to the light with a little over two fingers worth of bubbly slightly off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some patchy and spotty lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a fruit aroma being the first to show up with come citrus and tropical fruit aromas, but to me it's the apricot that shows up the most and it goes straight to a sour cherry aroma with the sour aroma starting to take over and it develops more of a sweet tart candy aroma to it. Up next i get some of the hops which I think were where some of the fruity aromas came from and there's also a light floral and light spicy hop aroma showing up in the background. This beer had a very good aroma, the hops seemed to add just enough complexity to it.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with some floral and spicy hops showing up a little and it leads right into the sourness which is on the high side and it has a slight vinegar aspect to it, but it still retains all the sweet tart candy aspects that it had in the aroma. Up next comes the fruits with the apricot showing up just for a second and it goes right into the sour cherrys which are really nice and more sour than cherry. On the finish the sourness lingers into the aftertaste along with some fruity and lightly hoppy flavors. This was a great tasting beer, the hops added just enough complexity to it.

M- Fairly smooth, a little acidic, a little crisp, not too dry, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a good mouthfeel that worked well with it.

Overall I thought this was a very good beer and I thought it was a very nice example of the style, I have had hardly any dry hopped sours, but to me this is what they should be all about, it's a sour beer first and once the sourness starts to fade just enough hops show up to remind that there is indeed some hops and this beer and I think it adds complexity to a style that can sometimes be to dominated by just sour and not much else. This beer had nice drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little acidic, a little crisp, not too dry, not filling at all and the taste did a good job of holding my attention, I think one glass is the perfect amount for me, I might be able to drink the whole bottle, but there's a good chance that the acidic aspect would start to wear on me. What I liked the most about this beer was how well the hoppy aspects worked with this beer, it's got some nice hop flavors and some really nice hop aromas with out adding bitterness which I think would really clash with the sour. What I liked the least about this beer was how acidic it was, I know that comes with the territory when it comes to sours, but if it was toned down just a little I think it would help the drinkability. I would for sure buy this beer again and I wouldn't mind seeing how it ages, but I'm not sure it would get any better since it's dry hopped. I would recommend this to any sour fans, it's for sure worth a try. All in all I was happy with this beer and I was little impressed with how well the hops worked with the sour, they used the hops in such a way were it accents the fruity sour flavors and it's far from dominating. So far this in now one of my favorite beers from New Belgium and in the lips of faith series, it's one of the better sours I've had and it's now the best dry hopped sour I've had. Great job guys this is one tasty beer and I really enjoyed drinking it, keep up all that hard work.

Lips Of Faith - Le Terroir from New Belgium Brewing