Lips Of Faith - Le Terroir - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-23-2005

A sour beer barrel-aged for two years and then dry-hopped with Amarillo and Cascade hops for 8 days.
Reviews: 456 | Hads: 2,185
4.1/5  rDev -4%

Pours a clear golden yellow. A decent amount of white head foams up.

Aroma: Very acidic with a light funk profile. It has some peach and apricot flavors with some lemon and acidicness going on. Can't really taste the hops. It reminds me of a gueuze.

Taste: Again, this beer really reminds me of a gueuze. Funky, sour, and acidic. Peaches, green apples, and lemon citrus. Solid stuff.

Mouthfeel: Sour and tart. Lighter bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Ends a tad dry.

Overall, this was a solid brew from NG. Very drinkable and one of their better sours. I could definitely drink a lot of this.

4.34/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Bomber into a Weyerbacher tulip.

A: Almost completely clear amber body with a finger of coarse white head. Ok retention, spotty lace. Not bad.

S: Pungently sour, with lemon and white grape floating above a solid foundation of lactic sourness. I'm not getting any hops, but I'm fine with the serious sourness.

T: Nowhere near as sour as the nose promised, but still amazing. Peach, pineapple, lemon, and zesty citric tartness. Funking awesome.

M: Smooth, light body; almost no carbonation. The sourness really shines, but I'd still like some more life.

O: Terrific sour, especially for the money. I'll be drinking it again for sure.

4.17/5  rDev -2.3%

Had this out of a Duvel tulip split with oglmcdgl, thx.

Le Terroir pours out a juice colored bright orange with some faint peach within. A nice billow of an inch of white foam firm on top, some suds on the sides. After a bit stillness.

Smells quite earthy with citrus hops and an earthy scent. I get a tang juice scent it's quite large. The Amarillo shows more than the cascade with grapefruit, apricot, etc. A small sweet malt with bread. Quite bold scented and bright.

A nice mix of hops and sour, the dry hop comes out with amarillo type citrus taste. I had this a few months ago and it has lost a bite. The sour is on the lactic side, while brett may be there. Peaches, grapefruit, earth, sour, nice.

Feel is quite tart in the mouth. A pucker if you will. The acidity mixed with hop bitterness is a bit of a pain. The body is on the low side while this is quite lively.

This is a great sour, besides some work on the mouth feel, no qualms. I would not want to kill a whole bottle of this as I would be scortched mid way palate wise. I would drink these up and stock one or two for some cellaring.

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

A bottle split with onix1agr in honor of black dog.

A- a stead pour yields a good two finger of bright white head that holds for a bit then settles to a thin skin and a solid ring. slightly hazy sunset orange in color with a sweet golden yellow glow at the edges when held to the light.

S- funky sour and amarillo hops hitting you at the same time. Vegetative and mildly earthy with some lemon peel and sour orange. Light spice quality. Very interesting nose.

T- grassy herbal hops and a bracingly sour one two punch. Lemon juice and a touch of grapefruit rind. Light dry scone malts and a touch of floral honey sweetness.

M- medium body and light carb. Great juicy pucker and a nice tannic dry finish.

O- this is a great american wild ale and the bold dry hopping is killer. I really wish new belgium would come to philly where the beer flows like water.

3.68/5  rDev -13.8%

Served on-tap in a New Belgium Globe.

A - Lightly hazed tarnished yellow-orange capped by a finger and a half of foam that thins out pretty quickly. Leaves light lacing down the glass.

S - Apricot and peach moves into both a lactic and acetic sour smell. Very light funk. Perhaps the funk most others mention isn't as prevalent in the draft form as the bottle.

T - Same balance between lactic and acetic sourness, with a nice peachiness. I like how sour it is while still being pretty balanced. A sweetness at the end that is a bit much. A little citrus from the hops (I assume).

M - Moderate body with nice carbonation, but the cloying sweetness at the end clings to my tongue and mouth, not driving me to want to drink as much of this.

All in all, a good Wild Ale, with the issue of not being dry enough IMHO. A little dryer and the drinkability would go up. Could also use a little more funk, but like I said, maybe I'd get more of that in the bottle.

3.93/5  rDev -8%

Poured into my Duvel tulip- no bottle date. pours a transparent gold color, nice fluffy white head that recedes slowly. Smell- tart apricot, mango, peaches, some brett flavors. Taste- extremely sour citrus! I'm shocked at some of the reviews on this one that complained about lack of sourness. Its crazy sour. mango, lemon, bretty funk, carbonation is light, only thing I'm really missing is the dry hops here. some very mild acetone flavors, some sour apple and sour peaches here maybe? The sour is so overpowering that it makes it tough to pick out the individual flavors.

Mouthfeel- I have a feeling this bottle is a little old, could use more carbonation.

Drinkability- wow this is a sour bomb but overall I would seek it out again.

4.27/5  rDev 0%

A: The beer is slightly hazy yellowish orange in color and does not have any visible carbonation. It poured with a thin layer of bubbles on the surface that quickly faded away.
S: There are light to moderate aromas of sourness in the nose.
T: Like the smell, the overall taste is quite sour and has some hints of citrus from the hops.
M: It feels medium-bodied and somewhat tart on the palate with a light to moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The beer is quite easy to drink for the style because it’s not too sour.

4.36/5  rDev +2.1%

22oz bottle poured into a New Belgium globe. Bottle generously provided as an extra by thagr81us in the 'Nice Piece of Glass CIF', thanks a ton Calton!

A - Pours a golden orange color with a torrent of rushing carbonation rising from the etched bottom to the surface. On top of the liquid rests a creamy, 2-fingered eggshell head with great retention for the style. The lacing is awesome as well, with a majority of the glass having remnants of the head left behind as it passes.

S - The name of this beer is very apt given what the nose provides. It's earthy and grassy, and has a noticeable funk and must to it. It smells old yet strangely refreshing. The dry-hopping also leaves a good amount of hops in the nose, with a ton of citrus and tropical fruits, including pineapple, mango, and peaches. An interesting twist, and I whole-heartedly welcome it.

T - Wow, if the nose gave off any impression of sourness, it was understated. Here, it's very sour, and up there with Russian River in that regard in my opinion. It starts off pretty malty in the front, before the bugs and hops kick in. There's no note of the alcohol here, and the finish is sublime, end with a huge peach and mango flavor that lasts and lasts.

M - Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with high carbonation. Even after letting it sit and being mesmerized watching the carbonation stream beautifully, it never seems to lose any mouthfeel or pop. A little mouth-puckering and zesty, and finishes rather dry.

D/O - Drinkability is moderately high. This is an interesting beer and I think the dry-hopping really adds a lot to this beer. I'm not sure of the age on this, but I don't think this has been released for a while, but even still, the hops still add a good amount of nose and flavor to this. The tartness makes it a slow-drinker, but the sustained mouthfeel and unique finish keep this one in my hand.

4.4/5  rDev +3%

I've indulged this on tap a couple of times, once at Steingarten LA, the other at Library Alehouse. Delicious. This review will pertain to bottle.

Into a tulip, pours a white frothy head atop a dark golden body, exhibiting tinges of amber. Thicks legs as I tilt, lots of foamy lacing down the side.

Aromas of peach, citrus, and mild Brett funk, the latter just enough to create an edginess to the bouquet. Intense, and wonderfully complex.

Incredibly tart flavors including peaches (and cream), apricot, mild funk, with a nice crispness on the finish. Complex and smooth, though as it warms a tad bit of vinegar does begin manifesting, reminding me greatly of Rodenbach.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, with a rich fullness I speculate is based from the hops.

Overall, among the best sours I've consumed. Highly drinkable, very smooth, fruity, tart, well-balanced, with the citrus dovetailing perfectly with the dried-hops. For all that, however, I could probably only consume two per sitting, as the combination of hops and funk appears to knock the taste buds out cold. Who would've thunk it?

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at Fountainhead.

A - I have no idea what color the brew is, Fountainhead is dark. In this lighting, it looks good, sorta like an IPA served in a Trappist goblet, replete with frothy head and lace.

S - The nose is quite hoppy (for the style), and I can definitely pick up on the citric-tropical notes imparted by Amarillo, and especially and overripe peachy note. As it airs out, I get more musty-earthy acetic notes than I do fruit.

T - The flavor is exactly like it hypothetically would be, in my mind: a tart-fruity sour beer with bright notes of medicinal pinapple-y brett fusing with bitter tangerine peel, overripe peach and sticky-sappy mango. As I get deeper in the glass, I pick up on apple skins, lemon pith and tannic oak.

M - Nice carbonation and body; it feels as much like an IPA as it does a Champagne-like Sour.

O - Very nice; this is one of the best Lips of Faith brews, if not the best, that I've had.

4.39/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A thanks goes to fsvan for recommending this as I probably wouldn't have purchased otherwise.

A: Light orange in color, slightly hazy. Had a nice soapy head to begin with, but quickly faded. Pretty much no cap or lacing left behind.

S: Smells sour, but balanced by the sweet dry hopped smells. Peach, funk, citrus. I've not had many sours/wilds so it's hard for me to really put this into words, but I like it.

T: Pretty sour, at least for me. It doesn't quite make me pucker, but my eyes squint a little. There's a spicey sweet quality to this that I want to say is cinnamon, but that doesn't seem quite right..like sour red hots maybe.

I like the taste a lot, but it's hard for me to articulate what I'm tasting. A previous reviewer mentioned a salt water like taste that I would have to second. There's certainly a pineapple quality to this as well...juicy.

M: Sour, sticky and dry.

O: Hard to say this is very drinkable because of the tartness, but it's damn tasty. I wish I had purchased a couple more of these before they sold out everywhere. This is a really nice beer and welcome in what is otherwise a sour/wild poor market(Nashville).

3.95/5  rDev -7.5%

Taken from notes on 3.11.11

A - pours a bright hazy orange with a bright cream colored head.

S - Smells of old citrus fruit.

T - Sour oranges, cherries, and grapefruit.

D - Starts sour, but smoothes out nicely.

O - This one left me longing for more.

3.68/5  rDev -13.8%

bottled on: unk

A: Pours a light golden ale with near excellent clarity. A single finger of fine off-white head falls over a couple minutes to a centrally capped sheet of the same with a collar of central depth. Scattered cobweb lacing.

S: Brett dominates the initial draw. Then subtle tones of the dry hop come out: tropical fruits, citrus fruits. I cannot press how subtle this is - a mere thread. Mostly sour ale with hints of hay, earthy clays. Decent.

T: Ha! Quite tart, love that! Nice citrusy, lemony, sharp sour tones hit me in the forefront. Just what I was hoping for. Now let's see what else is in there.... Okay, a bit of a salt-water flavor underlying, a bit of grain and some sweetness, but nothing in comparison to the sourness. I really dont give a shit about the hops in this, the beer tastes great.

M: Thin body and medium to hi carbonation. Good, dry and mouth-watering finish.

O: This beer exceeded my already slightly inflated expectations. Good beer. Glad I have three more to sit on. Yum!

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

Standard pint glass.

A: Hazy orange-copper color complete with a one-finger off-white head.

S: Citrus aromas and tropical fruit hops.

T: Tastes very similar to how it smells. But the tropical smell is now the refreshing taste of mango. Slightly tart

M: Very good.

D: Want more, please.

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

On-tap at Leon’s Full Service in Atlanta.

Pours a slightly hazy orange-copper color with a one-finger slightly off-white head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of medium malts with large amounts of tart citrus aromas. Also present are slight amounts of tropical fruit hops and slighter amounts of funk.

Tastes very similar to how it smells. Medium to light malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by moderately tart fruits – berries and pears if I had to choose, although it’s not terribly close to either one. Joining in midway through the sip are bright citrus hops that fade out into a moderately tart ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It’s got a nice thickness with solid carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass very quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall I had to have this beer again after being a big fan of it from the bottle, and it didn’t disappoint. The slight age does temper the the hops a bit, I'd be interested to see how this tastes in a year or two, although I can't imagine it getting better. Well worth a shot however you find it.

Poured into a pint glass at Barley and Hops

The beer is a hazy amber color with a thin coaster of white foam atop it. The aroma is lemon zest and light funk. Taste features big citrus notes, bitter hops and acetic tartness. Starts out sweet and fruity followed by a very nice hoppy bitterness and a sour, tart finish. Feel tends toward the lighter side with a nice level of carbonation. Overall I found this to be a very enjoyable offering from New Belgium. Light, refreshing and very easy drinking.

4.7/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

"Wild ale?" Really? Doesn't anyone at BA think this might get confused with beers with wild, or fresh, hops?

Enough editorial. On to a fabulous beer. The light pilsner like malt sense is simple a barren stage, a light frame, for the main act: the sour and cascade/grapefruit hops sense. A bit of lime too. The balance is perfect.

Clarity a bit hazy: may be my fridge... or not. Bud color. head good. Nose and mouthfeel exactly like taste. Pilsner malt way in the background: taste or nose.

Bear in mind. I'm a New Belgian skeptic. Most of their beers I've had are inadequate and pale versions of what they should be. This Lips of faith edition is incredible. The grapefruity Amarillo/Cascade hop mix works perfectly with the sour. These are the stars of this show and they dance across the palate quite well in a Flemish-like/America pale hop dance.

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

This beer was reviewed blind as part of the blind beer bif #5

Out of order #12 from johnbjaeger

A - pours a light golden yellow with a nice fluffy white cap that seems to be hanging out for a while to see how I like it. There seems to be a good amount of carbonation rising to the surface.

S - The aroma seems very familiar. Its slightly sour, some fresh citrus and light barnyard funk. It just smells so inviting, I can't wait to dive in. Maybe a berliner weisse?

T - The taste is slightly underwhelming but still really nice. This is a beer I could sit on my front porch and yell at those damn kids all summer long. Its light and citrusy with just a hint of some funkiness, slightly sour, slightly barnyard.

M - Very light and refreshing mouthfeel, it dries out slightly in the finish but there is enough juicy citrus to remind you of sucking on an orange after a hard quarter of elementary soccer.

D - Really, I could drink alot of this. Its just damn tasty and enjoyable

So lets see what this bad boy is...
New Belgium Le Terroir!

Nice, one of my wants and wow, I'm really enjoying this one. Thanks John for the chance to try this one. I'm really looking forward to the day that the Lips of Faith series comes to PA.

4.37/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

22 ounce bottle. Served in a tulip glass, the brew pours a slightly hazy golden/orange color with about a half inch off-white head. Head retention and lacing are both good. Aroma is fruity and sour, it smells like tart apples, apricots, peaches, lemons, and some vinegar. The taste is similar to the aroma, but I notice some white grape and a bit of pine/citrus hop flavors, too. The sourness isn't overpowering but you definitely can tell it's a mostly sour brew. I know it's a dry hopped brew, but I pick up more sourness than hops in both the aroma and taste. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's well carbonated and also dry. I think this is a pretty good overall beer, I'll definitely buy this again the next time I find it.

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours hazy gold, with a thin, receding wisp of white head. A thin collar sticks around through the whole glass, surprisingly, leaving spotty brussels lace.
Smells very fruity and perfumed. Wonderful floral hop character, with a spicy wildness and lots of apricot and peach fruitiness.
The flavor opens with a flicker of sweetness, quickly moving into dry, sour apricot. Soft peach, strawberry and green apple, as well. Lots of fruit presence in this brew, with bone-dry, moderate sourness in the finish. My eyes aren't watering like they do with some Cantillons, which is a good thing to me. Medium bodied, with buoyant, champagne-like effervescence keeping this one lively. Very finely bubbled, I'd say 320 grit. Just a trace of alcohol in the finish. I think this is terrific, and will happily buy another bottle on my next trip to the store.
New Belgium does most of their beers well, but they really seem to excel at sour ales. I'm wowed every time I try a new one, and each has it's own distinct character. This one is almost..."clean" for a wild ale.

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

22oz bottle poured cold into my Maudite snifter.

Appearance-Looks like an Imperial IPA. Light orange, 2 finger white fluffy head that dissipates fairly quickly, resting on a top a nice white film with bubbles popping.

Smell-Tart fruits, Tangerine, Mango, Lemon, Grapefruit. Some nice dry hop aroma...some earthiness and floral notes.

Taste-Wow, this is my first Sour, and I know why it's called a Sour, and i love it. Tons of sweet and tart fruits, it's like drinking liquid Sour Patch kids. Tons of tangerine, tropical fruits, light hops and malts to balance it out. I'm getting a lot of tartness and sourness that has never tasted so nice.

Mouthfeel-Clean and refreshing, very acidic. Medium bodied, moderate carbonation.

Overall-Awesome beer, only reason why this isn't an A+ is because it's my first Sour and need to leave room for improvement. I will be buying this beer often. Unbelievable achievements with this beer. I could probably only drink one bottle, but wow, this is a treat.

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from 22oz bomber into a mini challis.

A: Light orange with 1 finger pearl white head with nice, fine bubble structure. Lacing was good, as was retention, which stayed until the bottom.

S: Smells great. Nice lemony scent and strong Amarillo hops. Very grassy, in a good way.

T: Up front it hits with tons of citrus and other light fruits. Lemon, peach, and a touch of apricot. Toward the middle of the palate some grassy hops emerge and finishes decidedly sour and tart. I love that you can barely get any yeast flavors or brett flavors. It's a great blend of a little hoppy flavor and strong sour tartness. Yum.

M: Mouthfeel is average. Nothing special, medium to low carbonation and bone dry.

O: A great sour. Polished off a whole bomber by myself, which I usually can't do with most sours. I think the lack of gut-rotting yeast was what allowed me to enjoy this brew all the way to the bottom. At 7.5% this one will sneak up on you because it's so drinkable.

4.07/5  rDev -4.7%

22oz. bomber served into a white wine glass

Pours a witbier-like light orange color with a bit of haziness. I've seen Gueuze beer that is similarly colored. Very bright and sunshiny. I'd say only about 1/4 of a finger of eggshell white head forms, leaving lacing in little stops and starts. I'd like to see more activity from the foam, but this is a fine looking wild ale.

Wow. There's like 13 different things going on at once on the nose. I first pick up on the obvious acetic sourness from the bacteria, but my mind quickly became concentrated on the hop character. Hop resin and dried peaches and nectarine lupulin aromas waft up from the glass as if this were a west coast IPA. But the hop aromas are just great accents to the tart lemon juice and cider vinegar that make up the majority of the nose. This would be a fine, if basic, aroma for a wild ale: plenty of sharpness, much more focused on the lactobacillus and pediococcus than than brettanomyces. But the hops, notably the aroma of dried peaches, plays so incredibly well with the base nose. There's also a slightly syrupy malt scent here too; it comes across like sweet tea. The peach hop aroma plays very well with the sweet tea character.

The taste follows the nose to a large respect, but the interplay between the hops and bacteria is slightly less successful than it was for the aroma. The hop flavors are even more of an accent on the palate. In fact, I find that the sour and tart flavors overwhelm the hops, at least on the initial attack through the midpalate. Some peach juice flavor that has had a bunch of lemons squeezed into it is the dominant flavor. Maybe even some kiwi. Le Terroir is very juicy and vibrant. Plenty of tartness but its never overwhelming. There's a sweet bubblegum like character that arrives in the midpalate. The hops manage to make themselves known during the finish: there's a bit of a leafy character and an almost-bitterness. The sourness swallows up all of the bitterness, but it almost pokes through on the finish. I'd characterize the finish as ultimately soft and sweet, as the tartness fades pretty quickly. I wish the overall flavor were more complex -- this is a pretty straightforward beer -- but it is tasty and refreshing.

The body feels a bit thicker than I'd prefer. The problem is that it is underattenuated; the light carbonation makes this beer take on some unnecessary weight. Overall, this is one of the best beers from New Belgium that I've had. It's pretty unique and really tasty. If you like peaches then you should love this beer. Definitely pick one up if you see it.

4.54/5  rDev +6.3%

For a long time this has been one of my favorite sours, this batch is the first time that I have had it out of bottles. Dark Golden appearance with a small lacing that forms on top. My favorite smelling beer, strong smell of hops, a floral earthy hops. Woody smell on the back end but a small amount. With each sip, a sweet floral start is overtaken by a tart earthy lemon. Very tart on the end with a earthy hoppy aftertaste. This one is sharp and dry on the tongue. Light bodied. This is a great beer that is light enough to be very drinkable. Perfect for spring.

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into my Drie Fonteinen tumbler.

Faintly hazy orange peel liquid with a lasting smattering of ivory. Delicate lacing.

Citrus and herb laden hops in the nose, along with a vinuous floral quality from the barrel aging. Further murky complexity is aroused once the beverage warms.

Bracingly sour palate entry suggesting lemon, kiwi, pomegranate, and more. Faint rosé wine notes give way to a mild bitterness and an increasing wave of hop flavor. I'm reminded of the immense quantities of hops utilized in lambic brewing, though here, they are allowed to retain and contribute substantial flavor, making this unmistakably a domestic rendition of a traditional sour. Finishes tart, dry, and lightly mineral in nature.

Light bodied, well carbonated, spritzy, but with a touch of creaminess as well.

Another success from New Belgium's Lips of Faith series - wonderful for a hot day, so grab it while you can.

Lips Of Faith - Le Terroir from New Belgium Brewing