Lips Of Faith - Le Terroir - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-23-2005

A sour beer barrel-aged for two years and then dry-hopped with Amarillo and Cascade hops for 8 days.
Reviews: 435 | Hads: 2,062
2.74/5  rDev -35.7%

Very excited to get a shot at this one. With all the glowing reviews I have high hopes. Split into globe glasses.

A: Golden orange amber. Two fingers of dirty white head. Modest lace.

S: WTF! Sweet and sour chicken? We joked about smelling Chinese food in this but it's a sad reality. Full on hop blast. Moderate lactic sour but the hops just drown it out.

T: The flavor isn't much better. Weak all the way around. Mild sour bite along with loads of citrus hops. Sour hops is pretty much all I get. Very strange.

M: Medium body with mild carbonation.

O: I have no idea where all those high scores came from. This stuff is nowhere near a solid wild ale. I had high hopes. Sadly my hopes were dashed. (706 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +1.4%

A - Poured out a clear, golden amber color with a one-finger, off-white head of foam. It left thin rings of head.

S - It smelled funky with some barnyard-like smells. Peach aromas with some other sweet/sour fruits.

T - Sour fruits - apple, peach and cherry with a good spice bite.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A medium bodied ale with a dry finish.

D - This is a very nice wild ale. I'm glad it finally made it into my hands/beer glass! (447 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -5.2%

I will preface this review by saying this is my first ever sour beer, so I don't have a lot to compare it to in the style, and may revisit sometime down the road after I've tried more beers in this style. As a hophead I figured this would make a good introduction to Sours.

22oz bottle, January 2011 bottling date. Served cool in a tulip.

Pours lightly hazy orange with a fair white head that recedes to a small cap. Leaves only a little short-lived lacing.

Aroma is citrus hops with apricot and peach notes, quite fruity, some bread, yeast, and perhaps a hint of funk. Good to very good strength.

Flavor is kind of like a sour peach, quite tart and puckering, a lot of fruity and citrus notes, lemon in particular, a touch of funk underneath.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, oily and quite sticky, medium to high carbonation.

Interesting to say the least for this sour noob. I really like the aroma in particular and the flavor is quite good, just need to get used to puckering tartness in a beer. At the very least this has me intrigued to try other Sours and Wilds. (1,071 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -9.4%

Brown yet translucent, it looks good and refreshing. A relative fizz (unforgiving pour) settles to a yummy, succulent looking head that laces my glass like legs on a wine. It looks becoming...like a winner.

Smells sour. The smell is pretty pungent to me--so reminiscent of a Flanders I consider backing up off of it and sitting my cup down. The smell is more of a warning than an invitation.

The taste is more subtle than smell. I can't say I identify dry-hopping, but it's mouth-puckering appealing. It's refreshing in the same way as other appealing sours--it cleanses the palate beautifully. It certainly makes you take notice! It feels just sour enough, without a menacing kind of face you might expect from a relative sour rook. Compared to the sour way it tastes and smells, the feel is negligible.

The drink is incredibly interesting. I'm glad I bought it, and glad to have another one. As I suspect is normal for the style, I wouldn't wanna drink a whole bomber alone, much less take two! Great beer to share, certainly, and a good experience! (1,057 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -21.6%

22 oz bottle split and poured into a New Belgium Globe glass.
7.5% ABV, 01/30/2011.

How kind of Beerwolf77 to not only share this beer with me, but allow me to stroke my tick at his kitchen table!

A - Faintly hazy, the color is a bronzy golden hue topped with an off-white, well-retained head. Nice lace is left caked to the glass.

S - Dry-hopped to high-heaven, this is loaded with delicious juicy grapefruit hops that unfortunately takes a turn for the worse when the good aroma is swapped with that of Chinese food. This smells like lemon chicken doused with sweet and sour sauce with cooked celery on the side.

T - The malt profile consists of an overwhelmed caramel sweetness and toast. The hops burst out with potency that has an underlying citrusy fruit flavor. The Chinese food comes through in the flavor but no where near as much as the off-putting aroma (and I even love Chinese food! Just not in my beer). This finishes with a lactic bite.

M - Very nice sour finish with a lactic kick and medium body. A little thin mid palette though.

O - The sour finish is very good but the food aroma is pretty terrifying. The flavor pulls the overall up a lot more but it's just an ok beer. At first experience I really wouldn't get it again, but seeing so many positive reviews coming off this one, I'd love to nab another bottle and see what the deal with this one was. (1,377 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Shared by the late chswimmer (RIP). Thanks, Ted.

I confess I enjoyed it a lot more than I told the guys at the tasting. They seemed less enthused about it, so I kept quiet and kept taking pours of it "for research." I didn't let on that I enjoyed it, but I really did. It's surprisingly delicious. I stress, "surprisingly."

A: Pours a clear orange-gold with 1 finger of off-white head.

S: It's very floral, blending seamlessly into vibrant pineapple, peach, apricots, and lemon, with a light funk. There's a lactic sourness in the nose. It's mildly tannic, as well.

T: I go absolutely nuts for pineapple, peach, and apricot flavors in beer. This one is no exception. I'm guessing all of those flavors are from the dry-hopping that Ted mentioned. This must be a super-fresh bottle then. It's vibrant and delicious. I'm impressed that it's simultaneously peach-sweet and pineapple-sour. It's mostly lactic on the palate, though there is a mild acetic burn in the finish, accentuated by tannins.

M: Light-medium bodied. It has spritzy carbonation; maybe a little too much, as it winds up being kind of foamy on the palate.

O: Again: SURPRISINGLY tasty. (1,190 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours a clear orange with a short pure white head that fades quickly.

Nose is an assertive and unique fruity pine. There is a light sour orange/sour tangerine character in the nose.

Mouthfeel is bright and medium sour with a wonderful acidic and sour quality. Very drinkable and inviting.

Flavors on this one really rock. Assertive lightly sour and acidic tangerine, sour apricot and oranges. Loads of citrus flavors with a very consumer friendly sour character.

This is a very well made beer; a really nice sour right now and one that should be tried fresh and enjoyed before we all jump to age it. It will likely age well but perhaps lose some of that wonderful tangerine/orange/apricot fruit character. One of my favorites of the Lips of Faith Series. I really like this one. (786 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

I horribly underrated the cask version of this.

POurs a bright orange-y brown-ish gold. Smells like abundant fresh apricots, sour tang-y wood/oak, a bit of fresh citrus and grass, and a biting, lemon-y tartness.

Taste is excellent. The apricot and citrus and hops OH MY just spill all over themselves. It really gives you a palate work-out, as it manages the rare trick of being both woodsy/lemon-y sour AND citrus-y sour with some fruit sweetness at the same time.

Nice bubbly mouthfeel. Really enjoyed it. (510 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +13.6%

Wow, really amused by some of the recent reviews. Makes me wonder if we're drinking the same beer!

Pours a hazy golden/amber color with mild white head.

Nose is intense. It's this bizarre medley of typical sour funk, combined with juicy tropical fruit hops -- the hops definitely make a big appearance in the nose.

The nose was wonderful, but the taste brings it to a whole 'nother level. This is smack-you-in-the-mouth intense. Sourness is brutal, and the intensity is ratcheted up because of the dry-hopping. Take the intensity of a dry-hopped IPA and combine it with a mouth-watering sour, and that's what you got here. Loads of tropical fruitiness - citrus, tangerine, etc. Freaking phenomenal. It's really a tremendous interaction here - the sourness and tropical fruitiness play off of eachother and make one of the most epic tastes I've encountered yet in craft beer.

Mouthfeel is about what you would expect. No problems. Appropriate carbonation, etc.

La Terroir has instantly become one of my favorite sours. It sparked by interest, so I tried a La Folie a couple days later (I'd had one sitting in the fridge for ages, but never tried it). Let me tell you - La Terroir blows La Folie away. La Folie was such a disappointment for me after trying La Terroir. That's not a knock on La Folie - that's merely high praise for La Terroir.

Awesome, awesome sour. Might be my favorite American sour to date. Hell, might just be my favorite sour period. I managed to track down a store with more on the shelves and I stocked up. But considering the dry-hopping, I'm not sure if I should drink it all now or save it so that I can enjoy this goodness until the next release.

My advice: Ignore the bad reviews and give it a try. This is a fantastic sour, and it may just be an acquired taste for some. (1,805 characters)

2.67/5  rDev -37.3%

It appears hazy orange.

It smells really weird. There is an odd peppery spicy flavor. There is also a weird sulfuric smell. It almost smells like vomit.

It actually tastes pretty good. it is slightly sour. I get a bit of a fruity and peppery flavor. The beer is sour but it is not overly sour. It is a pretty smooth beer.

It has a crisp mouthfeel with ample carbonation.

Overall it smells nasty but it tastes pretty good though it is nowhere close to being one of the best sour ales I have had. (500 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -29.8%

Pours a hazy yellow/orange with a small head and some visible carbonation.

Smell is not what I would expect at all. Doesn't have the sour smell like a lot of Flanders Reds....kinda smells like an IPA gone awry to me. Sort of makes me cringe before I even try this. (I picked up a bottle because it was relatively inexpensive, and I <3 sour ales.)

Taste was better than I thought after smelling. Definitely a little bit of sourness, but the beer is WAY too busy. Sure, you taste a sourness, but you also get a weird blend of hops and fruits. I just think there's too much going on at once.

Mouthfeel is smooth, minimal feel of the carbonation. Nice.

Overall, not bad, but not very good either. The schizophrenic taste is a big detractor, but if you want something kinda sour, this is a relatively cheap choice. (816 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Had this on tap at the Black Star Co-op. Been looking for this for some time and it was worth it. Fantastic.

Poured a hazy tangerine. That color might be influenced by what I smelled in the beer... Had a decent white head with good retention and lacing.

the nose was a wide variety of fruits. Mangos, oranges and grapefruit. The grapefruit was hoppy and a bit grainy, but the others were smooth and sour. Brilliant, wonderful blending. Gotta give a lot of respect to whoever came up with this.

The taste is right along the same lines. Citric and lactic sourness. No vinegar at all. All sorts of fruit. Highly refreshing and drinkable.

Make more so that I can get this in bottles on a consistent basis! (705 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -52.3%

Split with mjyoung, poured into a snifter.

A - Clear orange amber color with white colored head that eventually disappears with little to no lacing.

S - Incredibly strong tart aroma with detectable grassy hops. Grapefruit, lemon and mango come through as well.

T - Not too sour, but tasted quite awful to me. I did not find any hops in it, mostly the vinegar and lemon sourness coming through. Medicine and vomit-like going down.

M - Low carbonation. Medium to full bodied.

D - Quite difficult to finish my glass. I have had great sours before and to me this is borderline undrinkable. The initial taste is fine, the second it goes down your throat, the terrible flavors come out. (687 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

A small stamp on the bottom of the painted "label" says 1/30/2011 which I assume is the bottled on date.

A= pours a tasty looking golden amber color with a small white head on it that falls fast to a soupy looking head on it. The lacing is spotty but present. Actually looks nice.

S= A complex mix of my two favorite things. Hops are present in a grassy sort of way. Actually compliments the sour notes quite well adding a sort of barnyard funky smell. Lemon covered grass is what comes to mind. There is a bit of a fruityness that comes along with the hops as well but not a major player.

T= The taste is very lactic sour. The hops again play a little supporting grassy role in it that sort of lifts the funk up. There is a bit of a fruityness coming from the hops as well. Lemony for sure and the finish is actually hoppy. Great brew!

M= Awesome carbonation and nice prickly mouthfeel. I would say it resembles an IPA in weight and cover with the zesty carbonation of a sour.

D= Awesome! This and the Eric's ale have been some of the best sours I've ever had. This is an excellent brew for sure. Worth seeking out and trying. I plan to buy a few more. (1,158 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

A: Pours a slightly hazy orange with hints of red and a finger of off-white head. The head quickly recedes into a ring with little lacing.

S: Very interesting smells in here. There are definitely a lot of funk and sour aromas, but there is also an aroma of candy to it. Lemony citrus candy. It smells amazing.

T: Lots of sourness up front with some light vinegar-like flavors as well. There's a definite lemon-like quality to the sourness as well. Some strong funk--for lack of a better word--follows the sourness and it finishes with puckering sour and tart notes. Delicious!

M: Mid-light body with medium carbonation, though with a slightly oily characteristic.

D: With so much sourness and funk to this beer, it's not extremely drinkable, but makes a great sipper. Overall, one of the best and most unique wild ales I've had. (832 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

I admit it, I bought this beer based on the reviews.

Pours a bright dark gold with medium head that can easily be revived.

Smell is vinegar, slightly funky and spicy.

Taste is not as "sour" as others. In my opinion, this is better. There is tart fruit such as green apple, hints of citrus and a malt background. Lemon is really present on the back of my tongue. This is quite a tart beer yet sweet.

Mouth feel is nice as it should be: lots of carbonated bite. This is really an easy beer to drink. Usually I am not as crazy about these, but I like this one. (562 characters)

4.01/5  rDev -5.9%

This is the second Lips of Faith series that's really impressed me, the first being New Belgium's other sour, La Folie.

For people used to barrel-aged sours from Russian River, or any Cantillon entries, this may not be for you - think of it as more of an "Entry-Level Sour", one that you may use to get people to drink more sours!

However, Le Terroir isn't without nuances. Lots of orange and tart green apple flavors, and a really cool hop-profile on the finish, which is cool when I burp, cause I get hops and not an acidic taste in my mouth. The acidity and sweetness hang around forever on the tongue, and it is far from unpleasant; I'm thinking this would be a great summer beer, especially when paired with any type of fruit salad, or an apertif when hanging in the backyard, waiting for something on the grill - really livens up the tastebuds.

For the value, this can't be beat - pick up a couple of bottles when you see it, as you'll wish you had more. (963 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -2.1%

Wow. This beer is a great value.

A - pours a light orange with a bit of tan head.

S - definitely acidic, also has some lemon/grapefruit, apple, apricot, hops and cheesy funk. Delightfully complex.

T - really nice taste. Quite sour, but does not destroy the palate. Lots of apple underneath, some apricot, a bit of hops and the occasional malty and barnyard flavors.

As I make my way through the beer, I notice a pickle juice like flavor which is hampering my ability to enjoy this one.

M - light, crisp, dry, highly carbonated. A bit prickly on the front of the tongue.

I hope I can find more of this. (612 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -13.6%

22oz poured into snifter

A - Pours a light orange with white head, decent lacing but not a lot of retention

S - Very floral and fruity, grapefruit, lemon, and some blue cheese like funk.

T - To me it tasted very grassy, and sour! Almost too sour, masking some of the more delicate fruit flavours. I did pick up some lemon, apricot, papaya. This reminded me of chokecherries for some reason.

M - Light, dry, pretty refreshing.

D - A summer sour for sure, decently drinkable. Solid but not the best out there. I would pick up another bottle for sure. (555 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a hazy, orange color with a medium white head. Scent is very interesting. I get a lot of lemongrass with some apricot and sour apples and a bit of citrus. I also get some very funky aromas along with pickle juice...yes, pickle juice. And I happen to love me some sour, dill pickles. Taste is just as interesting and different. Unlike any sour I've ever had. There are lovely fruit flavors (peach, apricot, green apple, grapefruit) with hints of hoppiness and funky cheese. I also get lemongrass and leather. Very tasty. Sour, but not overly sour whatsoever. Mouthfeel is very refreshing and acidic. Drinkability is high. New Belgium has really impressed me with some of the latest Lips of Faith releases. This and La Folie are a couple of my favorites. (758 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +0.2%

Bomber poured into a Bruery tulip. Pours a hazy orange color with a slightly off white head of about a half an inch that quickly fades into nothing. No lacing, no ring around the edge of the glass to note - nothing. Barely even looked like there was carbonation after a short time in the glass.

Smell was of peaches/apricot and sourness. Slight hints of hoppy citrus.

Loved the taste of this one. Peach, green apple, and orange-like citrus. It is sour, but not overly puckering. A perfect amount of lactic sourness for me.

Medium body with light carbonation but it works. I had about 2/3 of the bottle and could have easily had more. Hoping to find several more bottles of this to hold onto for awhile and see how it develops. (730 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer was room temp and poured a cloudy, dirty tangerine orange in color with a slight off white head. The aromas punch you right in the nose. It was a mix of oranges, grapefruit, lemon, freshly cut apples, grass, and sour APRICOTS. Oh man this beer smells delicious! It didn't have the stomach acid aromas that some wilds get. I'm already really impressed, especially considering all of New Belgium's other wilds have let me down. The flavor is heavy on the sour apricot which I absolutely love. If I tried this "blind" I could mistake it for an Apricot lambic or even a geueze. In fact, it is very, very close to Hanssens geueze. It drinks smoothly and leaves a nice level of fruity tartness on the palate. As wilds go, this is very, very drinkable. Trying it at room temp was a good idea. I came in pessimistic but was really impressed by this beer. I kind of wish I would've snagged another while in Chicago. Hopefully it'll make it to Indiana soon. (957 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

Thanks goes out to Hopsbreath for sharing this one.

Appearance- hazy, golden,straw colored. Very white soap-like bubbles for a head.

Smell- Nice floral and citrus hop aroma. Some peachy sourness comes up as well.

Taste- Sour and champange-like. It has some peach to it as well. Some nice grapefruit hop character to it.

Mouthfeel- Very carbonated. Light mouthfeel.

Drinkability- Good drinkability, but best for a summer day and only one bottle at that.

A dry-hopped sour. Who woulda thought? Different for sure. I was pleasantly surprised. (551 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle into (what else?) a New Belgium goblet.

Le Terroir pours with a bright, dusty tangerine hue that's slightly hazed and breached by a torrential up-pouring of bubbles from the laser etched bottom. The head builds to a half inch before slowly settling to a thin cap of meringue-colored foam. The aroma is other-worldy. Fresh mango and citrus peel, pineapple, cantaloupe, and kiwi burst from the goblet and announce that, in case there was any question before, this is one dry-hopped mutha' of a beer. The sourness smells light and funky, with a hint of wooden barrels and tartness.

The flavor is a delightful blend of wooden tartness from the barrels mixed with a bursting hop profile of citrus and pine. Sour and hoppy, with a finish of prickly, green apple bubbles and somewhat oddly-flavored melon rind. Mouthfeel is frothy and medium in body with a juicy, yet drying end. I can't quite put my finger on the essence of Le Terroir, but I can tell you right now: it's delicious. Complexity is off the charts, and this beer goes down far too quickly for only 7.5% ABV. New Belgium hit another Wild Ale home-run with this beer. (1,137 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -14.3%

22oz bottle served in Duvel tulip.

Huge thanks to Brian23456

A: Pours a hazy golden orange. Big fluffy head dwindles slowly.

S: Strangely sour. Scent is pleasant, but unlike other sours. The sourness is somewhat herbal, almost medicinal in some way. Band-aids? Actually got a whiff of cheese here and there. Odd, but nice.

T: Zesty, bracing citrus initially. Very tart green apple skin. Various milder sweet fruit flavors appear, if only fleetingly. Some mango, maybe apricot and a bit of nectarine. Crackery malt peaks out from behind the sourness from time to time. Finishes with a unique juiciness and then almost completely dries out.

M: Well carbonated, a little prickly. Could stand to be slightly more effervescent. Finer carbonation would benefit this beer.

D: Pretty easy to drink. This is an interesting beer. It's taken me over half the bottle but it just hit me that this reminds me a little bit of Cantillon Iris. Not nearly as good as Iris, but similar. (974 characters)

Lips Of Faith - Le Terroir from New Belgium Brewing