Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Lips Of Faith - Le Terroir - New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - Le TerroirLips Of Faith - Le Terroir

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-23-2005

A sour beer barrel-aged for two years and then dry-hopped with Amarillo and Cascade hops for 8 days.
Reviews: 447 | Hads: 2,128
4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

A - Pours a hazy golden orange into my snifter with about a finger of head, moderate retention and patchy lacing.

S - Quite tantalizing, lots of different fruits, lemon, lime, mango, peach, kiwi, farmhouse funk, and a bit of oak as well.

T - Really nice, sour and tart, makes my mouth water. Lemon and orange citrus, hops are there, but more in the background, oak and funk, very pleasing.

M - Body and carbonation fantastic for the style.

D - By far my favorite lips of faith, good sours are hard to come by down here in Texas, and this one is a breath of fresh air.

4.17/5  rDev -2.3%

Wow. This beer is a great value.

A - pours a light orange with a bit of tan head.

S - definitely acidic, also has some lemon/grapefruit, apple, apricot, hops and cheesy funk. Delightfully complex.

T - really nice taste. Quite sour, but does not destroy the palate. Lots of apple underneath, some apricot, a bit of hops and the occasional malty and barnyard flavors.

As I make my way through the beer, I notice a pickle juice like flavor which is hampering my ability to enjoy this one.

M - light, crisp, dry, highly carbonated. A bit prickly on the front of the tongue.

I hope I can find more of this.

4.27/5  rDev 0%

Pours a golden amber color with a thin bubbly head.

The smell is tart and vinegar up front with a grassy hop note and a little oak.

Taste is tart up front, but not overly puckering. Hops comes through as well, interesting. Some oaky notes with dry leatherness.

Mouthfeel is dry with medium carbonation.

Overall a great beer, possibly the best American Wild Ale when considering price ($8.89 for 22 oz)

4.12/5  rDev -3.5%

23 ounce bomber poured into a tulip glass.

Pours a deep orange to almost copper color. Not much head from the pour. Smells is full of fruits with some funk. Nice malt backbone as well. Taste is nice. Loads of fruit and sourness up front. Dry finish. Mouthfeel is thin and great carbonation. Overall a decent american sour. I bet this will hold up nicely with time.

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured from 22oz bottle into tall pilsner glass.

Aroma: Pine cone up front, sour green olive, and a light barnyard note. All indications are that this ones going to be puckeringly sour. (Mouth is watering just smelling this one.)

Appearance: A slight haze to the deep, golden body. Nice effervesence visible through the side of the glass. Two fingers of thick, bright white head.

Flavor: Tart, unripe peach. Contrary to the aroma, the tartness is not overpowering, though. A light, hoppy pine note adds a layer of complexity. There's a subtle sweetness, which provides some balance. Hops also contribute some citrus, mango, and peach (as the bottle says). There's a slight, goaty/barnyard, bitter bite at the end.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation, which has a bit less bite than anticipated, but still good. Medium body is actually higher than I'd thought would be there.

Overall: A pretty approachable, drinkable sour ale. Again, the hops add nice complexity, and the sourness/funk are not taken to the extreme, which I appreciated. Highly recommended!

4.84/5  rDev +13.3%

Wow, really amused by some of the recent reviews. Makes me wonder if we're drinking the same beer!

Pours a hazy golden/amber color with mild white head.

Nose is intense. It's this bizarre medley of typical sour funk, combined with juicy tropical fruit hops -- the hops definitely make a big appearance in the nose.

The nose was wonderful, but the taste brings it to a whole 'nother level. This is smack-you-in-the-mouth intense. Sourness is brutal, and the intensity is ratcheted up because of the dry-hopping. Take the intensity of a dry-hopped IPA and combine it with a mouth-watering sour, and that's what you got here. Loads of tropical fruitiness - citrus, tangerine, etc. Freaking phenomenal. It's really a tremendous interaction here - the sourness and tropical fruitiness play off of eachother and make one of the most epic tastes I've encountered yet in craft beer.

Mouthfeel is about what you would expect. No problems. Appropriate carbonation, etc.

La Terroir has instantly become one of my favorite sours. It sparked by interest, so I tried a La Folie a couple days later (I'd had one sitting in the fridge for ages, but never tried it). Let me tell you - La Terroir blows La Folie away. La Folie was such a disappointment for me after trying La Terroir. That's not a knock on La Folie - that's merely high praise for La Terroir.

Awesome, awesome sour. Might be my favorite American sour to date. Hell, might just be my favorite sour period. I managed to track down a store with more on the shelves and I stocked up. But considering the dry-hopping, I'm not sure if I should drink it all now or save it so that I can enjoy this goodness until the next release.

My advice: Ignore the bad reviews and give it a try. This is a fantastic sour, and it may just be an acquired taste for some.

3.65/5  rDev -14.5%

Poured into a New Belgium globe glass a pale burnt orange with a thin white head. No retention or lacing.

There is an immediate notice of a floral scent. If flowers could go sour, then this is what they'd smell like. There's also a sour citrus scent to it.

The taste . . . whoa. TART TART TART. The only thing more sour would be a candy. Underneath all this tartness there's some citrus flavors, lemon mostly. There is also a noticable amount of belgian yeast in the back of the palatte.

Body is medium with rather lower carbonation.

If you like Sour, this beer will be your thing. But it's not mine.

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

22oz bottle poured cold into my Maudite snifter.

Appearance-Looks like an Imperial IPA. Light orange, 2 finger white fluffy head that dissipates fairly quickly, resting on a top a nice white film with bubbles popping.

Smell-Tart fruits, Tangerine, Mango, Lemon, Grapefruit. Some nice dry hop aroma...some earthiness and floral notes.

Taste-Wow, this is my first Sour, and I know why it's called a Sour, and i love it. Tons of sweet and tart fruits, it's like drinking liquid Sour Patch kids. Tons of tangerine, tropical fruits, light hops and malts to balance it out. I'm getting a lot of tartness and sourness that has never tasted so nice.

Mouthfeel-Clean and refreshing, very acidic. Medium bodied, moderate carbonation.

Overall-Awesome beer, only reason why this isn't an A+ is because it's my first Sour and need to leave room for improvement. I will be buying this beer often. Unbelievable achievements with this beer. I could probably only drink one bottle, but wow, this is a treat.

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from 22oz bomber into a mini challis.

A: Light orange with 1 finger pearl white head with nice, fine bubble structure. Lacing was good, as was retention, which stayed until the bottom.

S: Smells great. Nice lemony scent and strong Amarillo hops. Very grassy, in a good way.

T: Up front it hits with tons of citrus and other light fruits. Lemon, peach, and a touch of apricot. Toward the middle of the palate some grassy hops emerge and finishes decidedly sour and tart. I love that you can barely get any yeast flavors or brett flavors. It's a great blend of a little hoppy flavor and strong sour tartness. Yum.

M: Mouthfeel is average. Nothing special, medium to low carbonation and bone dry.

O: A great sour. Polished off a whole bomber by myself, which I usually can't do with most sours. I think the lack of gut-rotting yeast was what allowed me to enjoy this brew all the way to the bottom. At 7.5% this one will sneak up on you because it's so drinkable.

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured into 2 Unibroue tulips.

A: Medium honey color, one finger pale tan head with decent retention and good lace.

S: Punget, slightly overripe mangoes. Funk in the background with a little spice.

T: Cider funk with mango underneath. Finish is interesting combination of hop bitterness and oak, with a very faint sweetness. Alcohol is totally hidden.

M: Light mouthfeel is very refreshing and cider/soda-like in quality.

O: A really nice beer.

Didn't quite know what to expect from this, but very pleasantly surprised. Yet another one-timer that I wish I could have again. Will need to check whether any of the local stores still have some on the shelves. Delicious.

4.39/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A thanks goes to fsvan for recommending this as I probably wouldn't have purchased otherwise.

A: Light orange in color, slightly hazy. Had a nice soapy head to begin with, but quickly faded. Pretty much no cap or lacing left behind.

S: Smells sour, but balanced by the sweet dry hopped smells. Peach, funk, citrus. I've not had many sours/wilds so it's hard for me to really put this into words, but I like it.

T: Pretty sour, at least for me. It doesn't quite make me pucker, but my eyes squint a little. There's a spicey sweet quality to this that I want to say is cinnamon, but that doesn't seem quite right..like sour red hots maybe.

I like the taste a lot, but it's hard for me to articulate what I'm tasting. A previous reviewer mentioned a salt water like taste that I would have to second. There's certainly a pineapple quality to this as well...juicy.

M: Sour, sticky and dry.

O: Hard to say this is very drinkable because of the tartness, but it's damn tasty. I wish I had purchased a couple more of these before they sold out everywhere. This is a really nice beer and welcome in what is otherwise a sour/wild poor market(Nashville).

4.16/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bomber into a Brewer's Art goblet. Moderate hand. 2014.

A: Hazy, honey-colored body with about 1 finger of off-white head. Ok retention. Light lacing.

S: Interesting nose for a sour, thanks to the dry-hopping. Citrus-forward hops with an undercurrent of cherry/lemon tartness, citric and lactic acid. Peach. Some strawberry. Whiffs of cinnamon, spice. Vanilla. Really quite nice.

T: Assertive sour to start that is tempered by hop bitterness and an arid woodiness. Oak. A touch of malt near the end, but doesn't affect the rather dry finish. Lingering citric acid in the throat. Alcohol is mostly hidden at 7.5% ABV.

M: Moderate to high carbonation, but fairly smooth. Light to medium body.

O: Tasty sour that makes great use of the dry hopping to impart a second layer of atypical fruit flavors/scents to the usual cherry & lemon notes that tend to dominate beers of the style. Certainly trumps last year's version, if I remember correctly.

3.95/5  rDev -7.5%

(22oz bottle). Pours hazy apricot color with chunky off-white head. Aroma has lots of citrus, ripe summer fruits, and funk along with some florals. Wow, this is quite acidic/vinegar-like and I didn't expect that. Medium bodied with a dry finish. I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but the sour fruitiness is very refreshing. I like this quite a bit.

4.46/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Le Terrior 2013 Bottle to chardonnay glass

A. Color is dark golden. Poured a 2 finger white, semi-frothy head. The head very slowly retreated an absolutely flat appearance after about 30 minutes. No lacing.

S. Slight tartness with big tart fruit. Fruity notes of sour green grapes, figs, persimmon, elderberries, and blueberries. A mild neutral oak is apparent but I do not pick up on the hops.

T. Mildly to moderately tart. No bitterness. Follows the nose with notes of grapes, neutral oak, and berries. Not much hops.

M. Light to moderate carbonation. Smooth as silk. Light bodied.

O. A very nice sour. I took my time with this beer, which certainly may have influenced the appearance. This ale leaves a very gentle aftertaste that is awesome. I didn’t see the hops but I’m not holding it against the beer because it’s flat out great. I highly recommend this to sour fans.

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

22 oz. bottle poured into a wine glass.

A: The beer pours a cloudy amber color with a small head of bright white foam that remains on tap throughout drinking. There is some lacing, but it quickly slides down the side of the glass back into the beer. Small strands of bubbles rise to the surface continuously and vigorously.

S: There is a strong aroma of peach and mango nectar, with a bit of lemon, apricot, pear and caramel malt. My wife noticed a bit of a cherry and strawberry scent. There is a light pine note from the hops, but it's definitely not the dominant aroma. It smells incredibly sour, tangy and complex.

T: There are some sweet malts here and some earthy notes from the oak, but this is a sour, and sour is big and in your face from start to finish. Very tart, almost like biting into an unripe peach with a hit of apricot and pine needles. There are also some hints of mango, pineapple and peach nectar, definitely a byproduct of the hops.

M: A very dry mouth feel with lively carbonation like a champagne. Very smooth and easy drinking.

O: This is an incredible beer. Even if sours aren't your thing, Le Terroir is worth trying, and it could be what gets you into them. I can't think of anything really wrong with this beer, other than it's done for the year and I have to wait a while for more of it. Easily the best thing I've had from the Lips of Faith series and definitely rivals the best American Wild Ales.

Bottle, limited to 1, as all of Dallas got 10 cases. Tried and could only get this one bottle.
Pours a nice yellow color, not quite golden... 1 finger of head.
Smell is bad. The sour and the hops clash on the nose like nobodys business. Don't get me wrong, you can distinctly smell the hops and the sour, but they do not mix well. Smells like stomach acid or vomit...I am really worried about the way this will taste.
Taste, is actually really good. The hops lend a nice citrus note to it that is lost in the nose. Has a really nice lemonade tart flavor. To be honest, tastes a bit like sprite mixed with really tart lemonade the more I drink it. Mostly on the finish I get the sprite, and the tart lemonade up front. Wish I could get some more.

Edit: after all the other A reviews, thought I would give it another shot... actually lowering my rating... still a very harsh hop-sour clash. Maybe in a few years... but for now, the taste seems very artificial also... very unnatural. Sprite/lemonade is not natural. Tastes like an alcapop...

4.12/5  rDev -3.5%

A- looks light a bit hazy, but a nice golden color.

S- you get the smells you expect from a sour ale, but you get a a bunch of fruit smell on top of the vinegary smell. Its a really interesting smell.

T- lots of flavors but definately get a vinegar like taste. Almost like a white wine flavor for a second on your tongue.

M- its a lighter drier beer. Has a good amount of carbonation.

O- its a unique beer that was pretty good.

4.79/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This was a perfect sour, very complex, and right to the point. You get so many different flavor profiles from this. You get lemon, Granny Smith Apple, just a bitter/sour fruit bomb. The dry hopping of this beer works perfectly, and the low malt profile balances this beer out.

Bought this beer twice. $16.99 bottle, little bit of more money on this one, but well worth it. Very sour! Best sour ale as I tested so far. I actually have bought two bottles and they both were a treat. Weird taste, but after the taste you just want more and more and more!!!!

4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

Bought a couple of these a few weeks ago. I split one with MADhombrewer and took some mediocre notes. I'm drinking the other one now to compare to the two week old notes I took.

A: Poured into a New Belgium globe. It appears to be a pale honey colored clear body with a couple fingers of bone white head on top the recedes to a wispy cap. Tons of lacing. World class? Yep. 5/5

S: Here's the biggest difference from the extra two weeks in the bottle. The first time I had this I took notes saying mango, pineapple, and guava. Those aromas are no longer as pungent. The lactic qualities and sugar cookies were there before and still are but the dry-hopping is lending less distinct tropical fruits and is instead a little generic. It no longer is the fantastic bouquet it was, but its still a very appetizing albeit unique smell. My score given was for the fresher bottle. 4.5/5

T: Sour without being over-bearingly so. The other underlying flavors can come through nicely. Ripened cheese, white grapes, peaches, green strawberries, and good old-fashioned vanilla laden wood help complicate the flavors. Very good. 4/5

M: Very spritzy, thin side of moderate body, dry and crisp. Paired well with my chicken katsu tonight. 4/5

O: Great beer! An extremely unique drink fresh and still a solid sour when the tropical dry-hopping fades. Definitely worth the $7 a bomber I paid. 4.5/5

Bottled 1/30/11, Poured into a chalice

Appearance- Pours a clear orange color with about a finger of dense off white head. Decent retention and a little lace.

Smell- A discernable funk upon opening the bottle. Lots of citrus notes from the dry hopping. Grapes, a little cider, some grassiness. Tart and vibrant. Great aroma.

Taste- Acidic throughout, but not over the top sour. Good balance. Fuzzy peach up front leading into strong lemony and pineapple notes. Nice funk, with an earthiness popping up towards the finish. Slight vinegar, apple, and vanilla. A little bitterness from the hops is noticed at the end, leading into a dry, clean finish.

Mouthfeel- Medium/light body, medium carbonation. Fairly sticky, yet pretty refreshing. Sour, but it drinks almost too quickly.

Overall- Another nice sour from New Belgium, they seem to have this down pat! The Amarillo addition adds a nice extra dimension of citrus, creating a great balance of sweet and sour, juicy and dry. One of the more affordable sours out there too!

3.93/5  rDev -8%

Poured into my Duvel tulip- no bottle date. pours a transparent gold color, nice fluffy white head that recedes slowly. Smell- tart apricot, mango, peaches, some brett flavors. Taste- extremely sour citrus! I'm shocked at some of the reviews on this one that complained about lack of sourness. Its crazy sour. mango, lemon, bretty funk, carbonation is light, only thing I'm really missing is the dry hops here. some very mild acetone flavors, some sour apple and sour peaches here maybe? The sour is so overpowering that it makes it tough to pick out the individual flavors.

Mouthfeel- I have a feeling this bottle is a little old, could use more carbonation.

Drinkability- wow this is a sour bomb but overall I would seek it out again.

Poured into a pint glass at Barley and Hops

The beer is a hazy amber color with a thin coaster of white foam atop it. The aroma is lemon zest and light funk. Taste features big citrus notes, bitter hops and acetic tartness. Starts out sweet and fruity followed by a very nice hoppy bitterness and a sour, tart finish. Feel tends toward the lighter side with a nice level of carbonation. Overall I found this to be a very enjoyable offering from New Belgium. Light, refreshing and very easy drinking.

4.37/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours a slightly hazy golden orange. Good initial egg-shell white head that lingers for a bit before dissipating to just a ring. No lacing.

Strong sour aroma. White vinegar, sour apples, earthy hops, and a hint of sweet citrus. Some hop bitterness on the initial pour and after it warms more. Interesting mix of sour and bitter.

Mouth puckering sourness upfront, but settles down towards the middle. Finish is a mix of sour yeast and bitter earthy and floral hops. Not a huge hop presence but seems to balance the sourness. Nice tart finish with a lingering hoppiness.

Medium body with higher carbonation. Clean finish.

Very interesting and unique flavor that keeps me wanting more. Good level of sour flavor. Really enjoyable.

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

22 oz bottle from Chuck.
American wild ale.
A:pours a great 2 finger white head, golden straw body, some stringy lacing
S: sour musty hay, honey suckle, citrus, mango, peach
M: medium light
T: sour, sour, sour, some hints of citrus, lemon
O: not a big sour beer drinker but the are growing on me. This one has some great aroma but most of the taste is a strong sour.

Lips Of Faith - Le Terroir from New Belgium Brewing