2° Below Winter Ale - New Belgium Brewing

Colorado, United States

Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB) |  6.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-23-2005

3.56/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a clear, pinkish copper color. Little carbonation or head. Aroma was raspberry, earthy, malty, with some Belgian character. Very nice. Medium body. Flavor was toasty with some late dry fruit. Well balanced. Exotic but not bizarre. Some late bitterness as well. Hop flavor was significant.

3.92/5  rDev +7.7%

Tasted this on 13th July 2007 (okay, I know it's not the season!) Best by 04May07.

Poured a clear, pale tan brew with a nice white head that lasted throughout.
Very nice dry hoppy smell to it.
Tasted clean but with a slightly "veggie" aftertaste.
Mouthfeel very good. Overall a very nice and drinkable brew, and not too heavyweight at 6.6%.

3.56/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a medium copper hue with a one and a half finger creamy white head. There was very good retention and sticky lacing.

The smell featured a soft cocoa malt with hints of earthy hop.

The taste consisted of soft malts with a powdery cocoa element. Extremely light peppery hop at the finish.

The mouthfeel was of average fullness with a dry finish.

Overall a nice and easy drinking ESB. I would have prefered a bit more of a hop profile, but regardless I like the concept of an ESB winter beer offering.

4.33/5  rDev +19%

Poured this beer in my Texas Tech pint glass with a pretty 3/4 inch head and then took a wif...Liberty hops and then some more Liberty Hops. This craft must be dry hopped with an entire crop. Also just a hint of malt. Nice!

Although I'm not much of a hop head, this beer is fantastic. The best I've had from this Brewery.

The taste is malty with just a little sweetness floating about your mouth, but once swallowed the hops reimpose their dominance on the pallet.

Not real dark for a winter ale, but everything else is wonderful. Not sure what others have given this but I think it should be high 80's and is definitely worth your precious beer drinking time.

Hi TTU94

3.83/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured from the bottle - A nice amber-brown color with decent lacing. The aroma was sweet and malty and with light hops. The flavor was slighty malty with some citrus tastes going on. I liked it and would buy it again next winter if I came across it.

3.53/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle with a best by date on the label. Had a clear, light copper color. It had a good head that slowly dissipated and left some good lacing. The smell was earthy malts and floral hops. Taste was pretty good with no bitter aftertaste. Overall, a good ESB and worth a try. (3.5, RB, T, O)

3.58/5  rDev -1.6%

Serving Type Sampled: On tap at Mojo’s

Appearance: Copper to amber in color, 1 finger beige head. Faded into a nice tight lace.

Smell: Toasted malt mild earthy hops

Taste: Starts with a nice maltiness which is quickly overrun by the oil hops. This Bitter is just that. Very aggressive citrus and pine hops. I also taste a little sweet grain in the middle. Finishes with a slightly harsh alcohol and hop notes.

Mouthfeel: Medium in body, light to medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Good, I found this to be a pretty tasty brew. Heavy on the hops and the alcohol. Great on a freezing, 2 below day!

3.77/5  rDev +3.6%

Obtained in a trade awhile back. I have been waiting to try more of this since I sampled some at the GABF in 2006 but not enough to review at that time. The beer poured a brilliant amber color into my Duvel glass, very clear with a slight white ring around the edge of the glass. The nose was hoppy, citrus, pleasing. The taste was a good combination of malty sweetness, a hoppy and peppery taste that rounded out with some citrus. Medium body and solid mouthfeel.

3.23/5  rDev -11.3%

Poured into a kitchen glass. Nice medium amber color, with a frothy head. Most of the head quickly dissapated, but a little lacing was left. Smelt bitter, almost sour lemons, hard to describe. Flavor was nicely spiced, with a hint of lemon. First sip warmed the body nicely. Tounge tingled, not necessarily unpleasantly, but it detracted slightly from enjoying the beer. Reasonable winter warmer, but I have enjoyed others more.

3.58/5  rDev -1.6%

Picked up a 6 pack at TJ's back at the beginning of November for $6.49 for a tailgate. Had a couple of bottles left over. Best before 3-9-07..whoops

Beer poured an amber-orange color with a well sustained white head. Nose was initially heavy on citrusy hops but after being aired out for awhile there is the familiar malty nutty nose. Taste is unique to say the least, not quite what I was expecting from the declared ESB style. The balance is leaning heavier on the nutty malt side. The initial finish was of citrusy hops but that has been reduced to be predominately a malty beverage as I continue to sample. Mouthfeel is nice and smooth. Overall drinkability is pretty good. This is not a bad beer to try, i hope that New Belgium tweaks the recipe to bring more of a balance if they truly are aiming for an ESB.

3.08/5  rDev -15.4%

Apricot with orange juice edges. Intermittent bubbles zip up to a toasted tan cap and join the tightly packed bubbles already present. I love the roughened, somewhat rocky, sticky nature of the head. Broken sheets of delicate lace look good as well.

The aroma is pretty much as New Belgium describes it. Unfortunately, I'm not a major fan of toasted, earthy malt in combination with herbal, earthy hops. The hop bill consists of Sterling and Liberty, both of which are similar to Hallertau. I love a good English ESB and even a good American ESB. Apparently, a German ESB ain't my thing. Given all that, I'm still able to recognize the nose's quality.

I'm much less accommodating when it comes to the flavor profile since it amplifies the worst aspects of the nose. Thanks to all the Munich malt, or something similar, 2 Below tastes like an Oktoberfest much more than an ESB. Aren't ESBs supposed to be bitter and hop-dominant rather than malt-dominant?

Speaking of hops, either American or English varities, assuming enough were used, might have saved this beer from mediocrity. As is, it tastes like toasted brown bread coated with unsweet caramel, freshly-dug clay and unidentified herbs. How did this recipe pass muster, especially after they tasted a test batch? Not only that, but it's about as far from a winter warmer as it could possibly be.

I'm trying very hard to take personal preference into account, which is the one and only reason I've granted a flavor score of average. The mouthfeel is medium in a general sense, with an odd slickness on the back end and a generous amount of fine-bubbled carbonation. I'm okay with it, but I don't love it.

Even though I have a fairly high opinion of this brewery (why, I'm not exactly sure), the only NB offering that I thought was exceptional was their dubbel, which they call Abbey Belgian Style Ale. 2 Below Winter Ale isn't at all what I expected and has to qualify as a major disappointment. I'd suggest giving it a complete overhaul from stem to stern.

3.67/5  rDev +0.8%

A: nice golden hue that resembles apple juice, with a 2 finger froth.
S: Malty with a roasted nutty scent as an undercurrent.
T: Starts off with a sharp metallic taste that quickly delivers with a roasted toffee finish.
M: leaves the palette with a smoky and warm aftertaste.
D: during the winter time, I could see cuddling up to this to get the internal organs warmed up. Hell, even in the summertime I would take this out for a bottle or two.

4.19/5  rDev +15.1%

Thick white head never really fades away; it just becomes a whisp. Amber pour and body. Crisp, strong, and complex smell includes roasted oats and wheat. I find it to be slightly sweet and simply mouth-watering. Starts deliciously sharp but very smooth. Settles full-bodied with a surgary caramel flavor. Finish is strong but without a lasting aftertaste. It is a bold mix of hop bitters that leaves you wishing for the next sip.

3.18/5  rDev -12.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into a mug.

Appearance: Pours a clear amber-orange color. Very minimal off-white head that quickly become an umpressive lace.

Smell: Barely any aroma at all. Spiced oranges and lemons, maybe.

Taste: Lemon, orange, spices, and hops. All balanced alright, but the taste is just a bit odd... some sweetness and some bitterness, but clashing.

Mouthfeel: Relatively smooth, medium-bodied with some rather tingly carbonation.

Drinkability: It's fine to drink once you accustom yourself to the unusual flavor. Alcohol isn't too strong and isn't noticable.

An ok beer, but the taste is a bit odd. Maybe an ESB meets an IPA with a bit of extra sugar thrown in. I was expecting something that was more of a traditional winter ale. One-time buy for curiosity's sake.

3.16/5  rDev -13.2%

ESB? Really? Pours a very clear amber color that is very close to appearance to Fat Tire, if that gives you a reference. A frothy white head that remains for some time but does dissipates to the side of the glass.

The nose is New Belgium specific. Most NB beers smell the same. But unique to Springboard, there is a floral hoppy aroma. Some citrus and noticeable grassy blend as well. The malt is also right on top with Fat Tire.

The taste follows in theme with the NB flavors and Fat Tire flavor. The malt comes out more with a nutty and a light biscuity flavor. The hops are more prominent then Fat Tire with a more US feel and some more dominate grassy flavors then citrus.

The body has a light to mid feel. The carbonation is a bit high and sorry to repeat myself but the ever so New Belgium feel to it. Overall this just doesn’t feel like an English beer let a lone ESB. But that’s half the fun with this game. Its nice to see NB finally experiment with some hops.

3.67/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

thanks to babydoc for this bottle also

A - transparent dark orange, with a half finger of light tan head with slow scant carbonation

S - the spiciness hits first, a ginger/nutmeg spiciness that compliments the season, the hop/malt profiles are rather strong and are well represented

T - thinner than i expected, but not in a bad way, musty, spicy and hoppy all at once, but a good musty, like an archaic scroll vault musty, not pile of wet cardboard in a garage musty, and a little caramel note on the aftertaste

M&D - thin, light on the tongue, very easy down, and easy palatable, a nice brew, you cold easy make a session beer, even in the summer

3.29/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear, coppery-orange in hue with a bronze highlight; off-white head, at the apex the foam was one finger tall. Head retention was respectable, a soapy cap lasted the entire consumption. The subsequent lacing was spotty but prevalent. This is an attractive beer.

The nose is a mix of citrus hops, earth, and caramel malts. These three aromas are fairly loud; it does smell like a robust Fat Tire. I like the idea. IMO, there isn’t much complexity beyond this. I do get hints of ale fruitiness; a bit nutty… faintly leafy. Even with all that said, I don’t like the nose. It smells odd to me. There is too much “house character.” Not inviting to me. Frankly, I can’t stand the aromas!

The palate is plenty malty, lots of caramel and toasty grains with hints of nuts and earth. It has moderate bitterness in the middle, citrusy mainly with a tickle of pine. Grainy. The alcohol is noticeable, warming finish. Sometimes when I drink 2° Below it seems muddled to me, especially after a couple. I wonder if I mixed Fat Tire (which I love) with 2° Below what would happen? That actually sounds good to me. Anyway, as much as I dislike the nose the palate really isn’t too bad. To me it tastes like a cross between an ESB and an English IPA. I get good hop burps too. Tasty enough, I’d love to taste a tad more hop flavors.

Medium in body, low but natural carbonation, the mouthfeel fits the flavor profile well.

I didn’t review 2° Below last year as it was tap only. I thought it was decent, a more robust version of Fat Tire. When I heard it was going to be bottled I was happy. I bought a six-pack. Well, it is February now and I have one bottle left. I guess I better review it because I am not sure I’ll bother drinking it next year. I do like certain aspects but I can’t get past the nose. The palate is good. Drinkability is high. Aw hell, I bet I quaff a few more next winter. IMO, it tastes like Winterhook. Purchased in Omaha; best by: 04MAY07.

3.63/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into my DFH shaker pint glass. Appears a very clear golden amber color with a finger of off white head. Minimal lacing sticks to the glass with each sip. Smells of yeasty bread and sweet malt. Tastes of mildly bitter hops, bready grain and a touch of citrus. Medium bodied with medium to moderate carbonation. Finish is dry, but not as bitter as I thought it would be. I would seek this out again next winter.

3.56/5  rDev -2.2%

12 oz bottle poured into my Jubelale label pint glass. Nice amber color with a brilliant two finger frothy head. Active carbonation with lots of bubbles dancing around. Great lacing.

Smell is interersting, grainy and sugary, with some sort of hop aroma that I can't quite nail down.

Taste is initially very sweet, more sugary than malty, but a sturdy toasted grain flavor jumps in to save the day. Finishes with some indecipherable hop flaver, clearly noticable but puzzling to try and identify. This is certainly a unique interpretation of an ESB, and definately a curveball for a winter seasonal, but I'm enjoying this. A little bit of alcohol warming presents itself in the second half of my glass, but that's part of the appeal of a winter beer anyway.

Mouthfeel is quite pleasant, with seemingly millions of tiny bubbles sloshing their way around my tongue on their way to their final destination. Body is medium to heavy, even chewy, but this is a pretty easy drinker.

Overall I found this a unique, somewhat perplexing, but generally very enjoyable beer. However, if this is the replacement for my beloved Frambrozen, then this is a signifigant downgrade.

3.81/5  rDev +4.7%

This beer was poured from a 12oz. bottle, the color was a light copper with a thin head. The aroma is very unique, i don't really have a good word to describe it, so I will just say it is different and I like it. I would describe the taste of this beer as having all treble and no bass (to misuse some musical terms). Plenty of hop flavor, but no real malt flavor, which works out fine for this beer. I must say, when I bought my six-pack of this I wasn't all that fond of the flavor, but now on my last bottle (a couple weeks later) I find that I really like it. Nice beer, and definitely a unique flavor.

3.57/5  rDev -1.9%

I really enjoy New Belgium's products, they make some good beer. This was a mediun copper color with a nice head and some decent lacing. It has an awesome aroma to it, very fruity, slighty malty and is really refreshing. It has a mildly crisp taste that really hits your tongue and then spreads out to the rest of your mouth and has a weak alcoholic aftertaste. This is a really good ale over all, but this is not one of their best.

Photo of
3.28/5  rDev -9.9%

On tap at Blu Bar in Arlington, TX.

Clear amber liquid. Medium sized, off-white head.

Aroma mainly caramel and wheat bread. Smoke in bar made it a challenge to get more.

Sweet, with a grassy finish. Small bit of roast flavor. Vanilla and some other spices in there. Pepper at the end.

Light to medium in body. Medium carbonation. A bit drying.

Overall, OK. Probably not something I would seek out again. There are better winter beers out there.

3.4/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

yellow body with cream, and good lace all the way down. A cross style attempt. Not complex as a winter ale, more of a hoppy ale more than a bitter. Carbonation on the high side. Balance like an English IPA, with some citrus and other fruit. I like English IPAs-the real thing.

3.53/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A=Medium Orange n color pours a good dense light orange head with slight hop aroma

S=as the beer warms a good spice aroma becomes apparent

T=Light bitter flavor with a little alchohol warmness

M=Light, Light not much body and doesn't give much in the way of mouth feel

D=I could drink a fw of these but I couldn't say that I would go out of my way to seek this out.

3.95/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured into a mug.

A: A very clear, amber/gold color with a thin off white head that just glosses the surface and clumps the side.

S: Some nice floural, piney, herbal hops lead, with subtle maltness to it. Smells very clean, fresh, and good.

T: Mmmm. Those perfume-like, spicy hops come in, with what even seems like a tad of orange spice on the end. Caramel malts create a good backbone and make more of a presence than the smell suggested. Some light nuttiness can be found as well, making this surprisingly complex. Ends very clean. Not much bitterness to speak of, but that is not totally a bad thing. Pretty tasty.

M: Mouth feel is medium to thin with medium to low carbonation.

D: Not too bad.. Not too bad at all. It is a nice change from all the citrus hop dominated IPA’s I have had recently. Definitely worth a buy.

2° Below Winter Ale from New Belgium Brewing