Skinny Dip - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Blonde Ale |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: dreadnatty08 on 04-06-2006)
Reviews by Drew966:
3.65/5  rDev +7%

Skinny Dip pours a golden yellow with a thick white head that drops quickly from a brown twelve ounce bottle. The aroma is citrusy with a bit of grain. The flavor is light and pleasant with a similar twang to it that Fat Tire does (the malt bill?). Finishes a bit dry. Nice.

Drew966, Mar 20, 2012
3.3/5  rDev -3.2%

Bought this to throw back today while I have pork shoulder out on the smoker.Poured into a nonic a fuller golden color than I expected I have to admit,I large fluffy white head atop.Very light aromas mainly some light toast and caramel,the cascades talked about on the bottle are pretty non existent.Mouthfeel isnt bad for such a lighter beer not quite full but it isnt watery either,flavors seem to lack any oomph,some toast and light caramel/ biscuit-like sweetness with a shot of herb in the finish.It is what it is and its pretty good for what it is.

oberon, Aug 25, 2009
3.03/5  rDev -11.1%

Appearance – This is bright orange in color and kind of yellowed with a huge, monster lacing head.

Smell – The hops are kind of leafy and stale, and the grain has a bit of a funk to it. The two weird smells aren’t really that bad together, but it’s not like any BPA that I’ve ever had.

Taste – Yeah, there’s definitely some staleness to this one. It seems more in the grain, and the hops aren’t helping much. They are overly fruity.

Mouthfeel – This is a little bit bigger than light-bodied with no dryness and cheap carbonation.

Drinkability – It’s a tough style to do right and isn’t any better than that boring Porch Swing beer that they put out.

RoyalT, Apr 19, 2006

MadScientist, Apr 20, 2014
3.68/5  rDev +7.9%

This is a brassy colored beer with a massive, spongey, head that leaves a rich and layered lace. Deeply musty nose with what I assume is the kaffir lime and some yeasty scents. I guess it isn't a bad smell but I feel its a little dank for golden ale and personally don't care for it.

This is a gentley bittered beer with mild acidic qualities in robust body of light grain flavor. There is a slight twang in the finish. This is extremely refreshing. The carbonation is lively and the mouthfeel is light. I get a slight citrusy sting.

JudgeRoughneck, Nov 22, 2006

danthehopslamman, May 02, 2014
1.38/5  rDev -59.5%

There's a thick, foamy cap juxtaposed against a thin-looking yellow/orange/brown--these three colors blend from the bottom up. With that head and all, it kinda looks like an amber more than a blonde. The foamy cap slowly settles to a 2mm layer of film. The film is incongruent in that patches of thicker foam interrupt the thin layer. The look leaves me skeptical.

It smells like a toasty, biscuity Fat Tire. I have to reexamine the bottle and label to ensure it's not one. Perhaps kaffir lime is a subtle variety because there is ZERO lime detectable in the aroma. That's disappointing for a beverage purporting to offer a "bright, citrusy palate." Maybe it'll taste that way, but the smell is a malty biscuit--I'm really wondering if the wrong liquid made the bottle.

Its taste is inferior to Fat Tire. I'm not intentionally comparing this beer to New Belgium's flagship beverage, but it's eerily similar. I credit a subtle lime presence in each sip, but (and here I already go again) it's like they poured some lime juice into a big batch of Fat Tire. This beer is a sham. It's a marketing gimmick: "skinny dip" with a woman's clothes left on the lake shore. In full disclosure, I'm sure that's part of the reason I chose this one for my beach trip. I'm also fairly sure that no girl would really like this beer...no boy either. Not only am I disappointed in the taste, but I also feel let down by the brewery. This is a lighter, slightly lime-infused amber-type ale--not a blonde. Let the conspiracy theories begin....

The mouthfeel is a malty, carbonated one. Though the lime subtley stimulates the tongue, it's nonexistent in the cheeks and rest of the palate. I really can't believe its makers purport a bright, citrusy palate. As I close my eyes and sip, I'd think I have a brown. I have to dig to detect anything this beer is supposed to be...and that's just not the way it's supposed to be.

Particularly for a light, "blonde" ale, this beverage is undrinkable. You would NEVER want two in a row. For a summery brew trying to associate itself with frivolous fun (read: getting naked), that is ridiculous. From start to finish, I feel like this beer's a phony imposter. I'd consider having another one only to confirm that it sucks.

marvin213, Jul 01, 2009
3.13/5  rDev -8.2%

12 oz bottle pours a clear amber body with two centimetersof offwhite head. Some spiderweb lacing is left on the glass. Aroma is muted. Citrusy hops and some toasted caramel. No lime leaf noted. A bit thin in the mouth. Taste has a subtle hop bitterness with grainy pale malts. Lackluster overall, perhaps a good crossover beer and one that would be a pleasant summer thirst quencher.

merlin48, Jan 21, 2008

JC333, Jun 26, 2014
2.85/5  rDev -16.4%

This is more of a Belgian Lite. Clear gold pour with a frothy white head. Funky aroma of earthy malt and bitter hops, mixed with lime and oranges. Yeast, wheat, and weak hops with a pleasant and clean citrus end. Refreshing, but not spectacular. Its a blonde, after all

magictrokini, Dec 10, 2008

bpfrush, Nov 15, 2011
3.65/5  rDev +7%

If this is a light beer, it's the best one out there. Surprising it's not more aggressively marketed. It's a mediumly hoppy ale with a twist of lime, and while that may make BAs shudder by bringing back memories of Corona, it seems to work here. The aroma is hoppy and citric, and while the flavor doesn't grab, the finish is admirable. There's some puffy, cratered lace after the pour, and the hops and lime flavors recede after a few sips. But the nose makes the beer. The mouthfeel is a bit watery, doesn't give the tongue much to hang on to, but drinkability is quite high. I'd recommend this beer, and I'd suggest letting it get a fraction warmer than the 45 degrees New Belgium prescribes.

Thrasher, May 04, 2006

Dello, Aug 09, 2014
3.33/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured copper color, lots of head and its retaining it well.

Not a strong aroma, there are some hops there.

Tastes hoppy, no fruitiness or strong malt flavors. I even taste something that is vaguely tart? Finish is citrus and a little hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel is very thin, but considering this is a summer/low calorie beer it is its not bad.

Very drinkable. With low alcohol content and good taste I think this would make an excellent session beer. This has to be one of the most flavoful beers with only 110 calories.

Dizzy, Jul 27, 2006

briandaube, Jun 16, 2014
3.9/5  rDev +14.4%

Bought in Tennessee while in the Smokies! Poured into a pint glass.

I hadn't tried anything New Belgium before, so I bought one of everything they had at the Food City in Pigeon Forge when I was there on vacation. I didn't know how I would like it given the description, but I gave it a shot. The beer is advertised as a summer beer and it did not disappoint. The pour was great, a bright reddish gold with a fluffy white head that stuck around til the end. There wasn't much aroma from the beer, just a generally malty beeriness, but the kaffir lime made its presence known when I picked up the glass up to my mouth. I couldn't really identify any single element that made me like this beer so much, but I like the balance of the malt, hops, citrus, and the carbonation. The beer had good complexity, with the hop bitterness first, then the fullness of the malt, and finishing with the fruit. I liked it all, in my opinion much better than the rest of the brewer's offerings (i.e. Fat Tire). The beer was smooth and light but also very satisfying. I would buy again if it were ever available to me again!

Soonami, Jul 03, 2009
1.7/5  rDev -50.1%

A- Clear golden amber with quick diapering head, nice lacing

S- smell hops and caramel malt

T/M- Hoppy and caramel malt. With a slight bit to it.

D- Overall I was not impressed with this beer at all; it is not on the top of my list from New Belgium Brewing. The only thing that I can say that sums up this beer for me is that I only drank half of it, and would not chooses it again.

monkeybeer, Nov 13, 2007
3.21/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a clear yellow with lots of carbonation, no head or lacing to speak of any signification amount. Lack of aroma.

Taste, a little spring floral feel, minor twang of carbonation and lemon. A good, marginal palate cleanser between heavier styles. Easy to drink, but what really are you paying for with this beer?

Beerandraiderfan, Jul 23, 2010

sgttibbs, May 05, 2014
3.9/5  rDev +14.4%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer has a crystal clear light apricot colored body with a strong wall of tiny bubbles racing toward the head. The head is a bubbly off-white foam that last a good bit.

S- The smell of dry pale malt with a light green hop and citrus note is balanced.

T- The taste of biscuit malt and dry Munich malt is bold in the front of the mouth. The malt flavor is followed by an orange flavor leading into green pine hops with a grassy lime leaf note. The finish is pretty short and the hops don’t linger after a sip.

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with a crisp finish.

D- This beer has a big biscuit malt flavor which grows a bit mundane after a few sips but the hops, although soft, have a nice depth and this is really the best use of kefir lime leaves I have tasted. They offer a nice compliment to the hops without being overbearing or buried.

rhoadsrage, Sep 28, 2007

LXIXME, Jan 05, 2014
3.98/5  rDev +16.7%

Skinny dip pours a well done pancake golden brown with a tan head that fades quickly. Not very impressive, it looks like an over caramelized blond ale.

The smell is full of robust malts and toasted grains. Deep in the background is a lager like scent consisting of that lager yeast funk. Not unpleasant in the slightest.

The taste is clean, sweet and malty. The sweetness gives way to a citrus bitterness that taste more like the pith of said fruits rather then the juice or rind. I've never knowingly tasted a kaffir lime leaf but that earthy, subdued citrus is probably what it's like. Well done New Belgium for introducing me to a new flavor.

The mouthfeel is very nice. I don't agree with the bottle because it reads that the skinny dip is a full-bodied beer. I'd put it thin to medium at best. The finish is quite nice with a beefy carbonation making it a little dry and acidic. Almost soda like. Clean and refreshing, a real treat on a hot day.

jbphoto88, Jul 08, 2009