Skinny Dip - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Blonde Ale |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: dreadnatty08 on 04-06-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
jbierling

1.25/5  rDev -63.5%

07-05-2014 00:20:23 | More by jbierling
marvin213

1.38/5  rDev -59.6%

There's a thick, foamy cap juxtaposed against a thin-looking yellow/orange/brown--these three colors blend from the bottom up. With that head and all, it kinda looks like an amber more than a blonde. The foamy cap slowly settles to a 2mm layer of film. The film is incongruent in that patches of thicker foam interrupt the thin layer. The look leaves me skeptical.

It smells like a toasty, biscuity Fat Tire. I have to reexamine the bottle and label to ensure it's not one. Perhaps kaffir lime is a subtle variety because there is ZERO lime detectable in the aroma. That's disappointing for a beverage purporting to offer a "bright, citrusy palate." Maybe it'll taste that way, but the smell is a malty biscuit--I'm really wondering if the wrong liquid made the bottle.

Its taste is inferior to Fat Tire. I'm not intentionally comparing this beer to New Belgium's flagship beverage, but it's eerily similar. I credit a subtle lime presence in each sip, but (and here I already go again) it's like they poured some lime juice into a big batch of Fat Tire. This beer is a sham. It's a marketing gimmick: "skinny dip" with a woman's clothes left on the lake shore. In full disclosure, I'm sure that's part of the reason I chose this one for my beach trip. I'm also fairly sure that no girl would really like this beer...no boy either. Not only am I disappointed in the taste, but I also feel let down by the brewery. This is a lighter, slightly lime-infused amber-type ale--not a blonde. Let the conspiracy theories begin....

The mouthfeel is a malty, carbonated one. Though the lime subtley stimulates the tongue, it's nonexistent in the cheeks and rest of the palate. I really can't believe its makers purport a bright, citrusy palate. As I close my eyes and sip, I'd think I have a brown. I have to dig to detect anything this beer is supposed to be...and that's just not the way it's supposed to be.

Particularly for a light, "blonde" ale, this beverage is undrinkable. You would NEVER want two in a row. For a summery brew trying to associate itself with frivolous fun (read: getting naked), that is ridiculous. From start to finish, I feel like this beer's a phony imposter. I'd consider having another one only to confirm that it sucks.

07-01-2009 21:39:43 | More by marvin213
DogFood11

1.45/5  rDev -57.6%

Just arrived at the local bevmo as a spring release. This is as fresh as I will get it unless at the brewer so I'm pretty pumped. Poured into a pilsener glass it forms a loose, white head that leaves ring like lacing. copper body, mild carbonation.

I pick up a diaper funky smell that has me baffled, I've had this smell before and I'm not sure what to pin it on but its odd and really makes drinking difficult.

Yep, it comes through in the taste as well....this is not a spoiled beer as its fresh and I've smelled and tasted this in their fat tire offering as well....maybe its something in the malts but it comes across musky and funky. On to other things....It has a slight woody, earthy corner to it, hops are more in the mouthfeel than the taste. Tasted very similair to miller genuine draft with a bit more of a lemony, citrus quality to it. Finishes fairly clean and crisp.

Notes: Avoid. I'm 0-2 from this brewer....will keep trying...of course.

04-29-2006 22:43:32 | More by DogFood11
Georgiabeer

Georgia

1.5/5  rDev -56.1%

I think many of the New Belgium products are quite good, but this isn't one of them- this is a beer gone wrong.

The color is fine- a nice golden amber with some copper highlights. Nothing special. The head was barely there and went away quickly.

The first hint that something is wrong is the smell- a musty sourness from the kaffir lime leaves I presume, and a thin vaguely hops smell behind that. Unfortunately not balanced and not very pleasant.

The taste is if anything even a little worse. The kaffir lime leaves just make the beer taste old and skunky. The beer was freshness dated til Nov. 2006, and it was in the cold case, so I don't think it was that. Very little flavor there beside that unpleasant citric mustiness.

The mouthfeel is fine, nothing special, but reasonably crisp like a summer brew should be.

For me, this one is a drain pour- and I never really do that. I just can't drink this at all. No challenging flavors here that I can't overcome- I love kaffir lime leaves in Asian cooking and in vodka, but I just don't think it works here at all. I was looking forward to this beer- very disapointing.

The

07-28-2006 07:55:32 | More by Georgiabeer
jt31914

1.6/5  rDev -53.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

12 oz. Bottle

A: 1/2 finger head, golden color and rising carbonation.

S: Hoppy clove smell.

T: To sweet on the palate - bitter burnt/char flavor and clove tastes on the finish. Very odd taste, especially on the finish. Hops not overly apparent.

M: Pleasant

D: Fairly drinkable.

It's pretty average, and the burnt taste on the palate is very unwelcomed.

10-08-2009 18:26:59 | More by jt31914
monkeybeer

1.7/5  rDev -50.3%

A- Clear golden amber with quick diapering head, nice lacing

S- smell hops and caramel malt

T/M- Hoppy and caramel malt. With a slight bit to it.

D- Overall I was not impressed with this beer at all; it is not on the top of my list from New Belgium Brewing. The only thing that I can say that sums up this beer for me is that I only drank half of it, and would not chooses it again.

11-13-2007 01:20:43 | More by monkeybeer
demuzik

Oregon

1.7/5  rDev -50.3%

New Belgium is one of my favourite US beer companies, yet I must say I am disappointed in their summer brew. Yes, it is SUPPOSED to be light and bland, but so many other folks know how to do light and bland well (ie Sierra Nevada's summer ale, heck even Sam Adams).

The flavor is light at first but finishes off with roasted tones and slight limy/maltyness. Honestly, this one is OK at first sip but gets harder to choke down as the brew goes on.

Not the worst, but definitely not impressed. Won't buy again. Try other folks' summer brews and save yourself some cash.

06-17-2009 03:18:11 | More by demuzik
donmonkey1

Tennessee

1.88/5  rDev -45%

Appearance: Pours a dark yellow with a large white head that recedes too quickly. Decent lacing though.

Smell: Sweet cardboard

Taste: Like a homebrew gone wrong. I don't want to say it tastes like an infection, but ick. There's a faint some kind of hop and some kind of mild sweetness with a whole lot of yuck.

Drinkability: This beer is too yucky to drink very many.

05-25-2009 13:28:57 | More by donmonkey1
IntriqKen

1.93/5  rDev -43.6%

Disappointing offering from New Belgium.
Pours a slightly dark orange amber with a nice 2 finger head that stays thick as it turns to beautiful lacing.
I really, REALLY had to sniff hard to get any aroma at all...just light malt to me.
Taste is as empty as the aroma...a little malt...mostly just water with a little bite to the finish as if a lemon peel was waved over the top of the glass.
Mouthfeel is actually a little thicker than the taste.
I can't drink 2 of these....all water and no substance.

04-22-2006 20:35:02 | More by IntriqKen
jsh420

1.95/5  rDev -43%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

pours a clear gold with a 1 finger white head that leaves spotted lacing down the glass

smells of grassy hops with sour malts

taste - sour malts and grassy hops but with a very old mothball taste along with a metalic aftertaste - not good

mouthfeel is very light with decent carbonation

drinkability is poor due to the taste - sure at 4% you could pound these all day but the flavor kills that idea - why torture yourself

i have yet to find an american blonde ale that i enjoyed and i doubt i ever will

05-30-2009 19:25:09 | More by jsh420
charlesw

Ale? American Blonde Ale? Like, what?

Pours a light golden amber with a huge, pure-white head that is quickly diminished but leaves a solid and lasting lace cover.

Smells faintly of cascade hops.

Tastes like... Well, you have to take the mouthfeel in with that, you know? It's really light. Like, really really light. Light body, light flavor. Sure, you get a little hops in there - resiny, piny, something like grapefruit peels, but not much else. No bitterness, no sweetness, no body. Ok, ok. Light bitterness, no sweetness, etc.

It's weird, I can't figure out the target market for this one... I mean, yeah, it's light and all - like the BMC crowd will like - but it has too much hop tang (and bitterness) and not enough sweetness for them.

To give it a slightly larger market, I'd up the body a tad and tone back the flavoring and aroma hops. Hmm. Heck, I might even think it was pretty good, then!

07-12-2006 23:35:57 | More by charlesw
bthomas

Washington

03-01-2012 10:21:46 | More by bthomas
jrallen34

2.17/5  rDev -36.5%

I drank this on tap into a pint glass...The beer pours a light clearish brown with a light white head, no head or lacing worth mentioning...The aroma is nothing, a little skunky hops...The taste is horribly boring, no taste which is worsened by a horrible feel that is so light it makes it totally undrinkable. This beer is horrible.

05-18-2010 13:22:49 | More by jrallen34
matjack85

2.25/5  rDev -34.2%

01-26-2013 15:08:30 | More by matjack85
etenbus

Missouri

2.35/5  rDev -31.3%

I generally like New Belgium's offerings so when I saw this new beer at Gomer's in Kansas City, I grabbed it. The blurb on the bottle emphasized Cascade hops and lime and a citrusy taste; plus, this had the quality of a true session beer, clocking in at only 4.2% alcohol.

When I popped the cap, I raised the bottle so as to inhale the hop-hit of Cascade. However, to my surprise there was little hop aroma to inhale and my brain, which so often works independently of me, immediately said "corn extract macrobrewery". In some dark recess of my mind, a voice whispered "MIller High LIfe."

The appearance belies the initial aroma. It pours a rich copper color with a decent half inch collar above; but that quickly faded, leaving me staring at what in another place, on perhaps another continent could be an earthy bitter. The lacing on the glass was nicely done, though.

But my taste buds would not allow my mind to race to northern England. The beer goes down easily, yet with only a glance towards a hop bitterness, right there squarely in the middle. Yes, there is a lime-like flavor somewhere on the edges of this beer, but it isn't effective enough to prevent the residual graininess to come through on the finish. A few minutes after the swallow, the mouth feels a little puckery, as if I had taken a bite of citrus, but I seem to have missed any citrus-grapefruit-pine flavor that I was expecting from the Cascade hops. It has a dry aftertaste that is not offensive. The body is medium to thin and the carbonation not excessive.

The flavor does not improve as the beers warms. It's probably best consumed at the usual frigid lager temperature. I don't believe this one lives up to NB's standards set with Blue Paddle, Fat Tire, 1554, and their Belgians.

04-22-2006 04:41:08 | More by etenbus
GClarkage

2.38/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

04/19/06- Purchased at Draegers Market in San Mateo, CA.

Presentation- 12oz bottle with an expiration date printed on the front label. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Nice brandy colored pour. Maybe a medium colored amber. One inch plus head. Light ring throughout. Very nice patchy lacing left behind.

Smell- Party ends here. Very grassy and corny scent. If you really sniff you can get some mild fruit and maybe spices. Reminds me of a Belgian style Bud.

Taste- Taste is very similar to the scent. Getting a whole bunch of corn flavoring in here. Can't really find much past that. Fruit is buried as well with the spices. A bit cardboardy and watery as well. Does leave some bitter hops in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Spritzy carbonation. Watery...

Drinkability- Tastes like any other macro. Passing up this if I ever see it again. Damn close to a drain pour.

04-19-2006 23:03:16 | More by GClarkage
Hunter

Arizona

2.45/5  rDev -28.4%

appearance: seriously dense head of pillowy foam sits atop a dark amber brew. minimal carbonation.
smell: has the malty heaviness of your basic English ale (or, perhaps, like Fat Tire). Some degree of citrusry hops in the background, but far away.
taste: Flat. Little here to recommend. They could market this as Fat Tire lite. Malty like Fat Tire, no citrus as advertised, just a lighter version.
mouthfeel: Light, appropriate to the season. Some hop backbite in the swallow, lingers a bit on the tongue.
drinkability: Drinkable, certainly, but I paid $7+ for a sixer of this. At that price, there's better out there.

05-16-2006 23:03:04 | More by Hunter
harrymel

Washington

2.48/5  rDev -27.5%

Reviewed 06/26/10

Poured from bottle to pint glass.

A: light orange, absolute clarity. Continuous ribbon resotres the paper thin white film capping the ale.

S: Smells like a standard pilsener. Only unique grace befalls the slight lime accent, which is a pleasant touch.

T: Tastes like a light amber, really light. Lime unfortunately does not make it to the flavor of the beer, and leaves itself to the nose.

M: Quite carbonated, almost a burning sensation as buds are attacked with constant expulsion of gas from ale. Med bodied.

D: Although the beer isn't bad, I will be unlikely to purchase again in near future.

12-20-2010 06:28:32 | More by harrymel
BeerBelcher

2.48/5  rDev -27.5%

Summer is by far my favorite season, despite the fact that the seasonal beers of summer are by far the weakest of any season. Unfortunately, Skinny Dip didn't change my feelings about summer beers.

Pours a clear brassy color with a bit of head. Aroma is just slightly sweet, with some subtle candy sugar notes and a bit of mercaptan that I didn't care for. Flavor is a touch metallic and a bit of malty sweetness. Not bad, but hardly terrific. Mouthfeel has some nice carbonation to it, but is nothing to write home about.

I would not recommend this beer.

08-01-2008 20:49:34 | More by BeerBelcher

07-06-2014 14:03:56 | More by TheBigBoy
sevopie

Colorado

2.5/5  rDev -26.9%

Light golden/amber in color with very little white head.

Some graininess with a touch of citrus.

Toasted biscuit with a bit of lime, the taste stays the same as the smell, while being vastly different at the same time. There's a bit of sour fruit note to finish it off.

Rather light in body with a dumptruck full of a fine carbonation.

Its lagerish in its crispness and tart finish, but doesn't really deliver anything special whatsoever. Don't care for this one really at all.

07-14-2009 09:55:08 | More by sevopie