Mothership Wit (Organic Wheat Beer) - New Belgium Brewing

Mothership Wit (Organic Wheat Beer)Mothership Wit (Organic Wheat Beer)

good

pDev: 15%
New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  4.80% ABV

IBU's: 12

(Beer added by: mentor on 05-16-2006)

Happy_Camper, Apr 26, 2012

ATXRyan, Apr 25, 2012

likeemdark, Jan 27, 2012

stairwell2811bre, Feb 05, 2012
2.1/5  rDev -41.7%

Appearance - Light straw color with a slight haze. The head appears to come on strong but disappeared quite rapidly leaving a faint trace of lace.

Smell - Coriander and lemon, with something sweet I can't place somewhere between an orange and a pineapple. Wheat maybe corn.

Taste - There's a fine balance between apple soured with lemon, almost salty with a oddly clean finish.

Mouthfeel - The word bright comes to mind. The carbonation feels almost acidic, like a seltzer, not unpleasant but refreshing like a cool shower on a summer day.

Drinkability - Very easy to drink at first, as I got to the bottom of the glass, I decided that I'd rather drink something else than to open another this night. I think one is quite enough in a sitting.

AleHound, Jan 03, 2008
2.1/5  rDev -41.7%

I really didn't have the same experience some of the other people here did.
A - Poured a clear light yellow, Poured a Miller lite next to it. Looked exactly the same.
S - Adjunct wheat aroma, smelled alot like the miller lite.
T - Wheat, fruits very subtle, adjunct character like the miller lite.
Mouthfeel was highly carbonated and as it was very drinkable it wasn't at all enjoyable.

Not at all a Wit to me, this beer was very reminicent of a macro lager, And at $3.50 a bomber it is maybe the worst beer I have ever had.

mnstorm99, Dec 08, 2007
2.13/5  rDev -40.8%

Has a cloudy light gold color with a small head which reduces quickly. Leaves no lace. The aroma is light lemon and bananas. The flavor is light lemon, bananas, and some sweet malt. Not too impressive. Feels light, crisp, clean, with decent carbonation. The aroma and taste are barely noticeable. This is nothing to get excited about.

hardy008, Nov 08, 2009
2.17/5  rDev -39.7%

I am not a straight up big wheat beer fan. I like some that are mostly flavored. This is the most pure form I think I have ever tasted. If you like that strong musty wheat beer flavor this is your ticket. Looks like a clean crisp glass of lemonade. Smells super yeasty. taste worst than it smells. Banana tones and chalky. Not too impressed but I do not care for wheat beers unless it is a Lienies!

sweett3k, Jul 08, 2011

antichuckmoore, Jul 07, 2014

lucasj82, May 15, 2013

westcoastbeerlvr, Jan 11, 2013
2.3/5  rDev -36.1%

Picked this up because I liked 2 Below, thought this would be good, too.

I was a little more than surprised to see it as light yellow as a Bud Light. I swirled the bottle and poured the rest in, giving it some wheat cloudiness. Couldn't get much of a head out of it.

Smells a lot like Blue Moon, but not as strong. Citrus and fermented orange peel.

Tastes somewhat like Blue Moon, but not as good, and way lighter. Same funky fermented orange peel taste that I don't much care for from Blue Moon, but at least BM has some more enjoyable flavors mixed in. I found it boring and one dimensional. Over-spiced. I really didn't want to continue drinking after my first taste.

Mouthfeel is grainy and somewhat watery, with a decent amount of carbonation.

The appearance and taste kept me from wanting more than one. It is light, which helps, but that's it.

I wish New Belgium would have labeled this as "light"; it would have been received at least a little bit better. I wasn't impressed at all.

Mubbly, Dec 11, 2009
2.3/5  rDev -36.1%

Pours pale, hazy lemon yellow. Modest head dissipates quickly to a thin ring and a slight soapy sheen.

Aroma is bubblegum wheat, coriander, and lemon drop.

Taste is initially very sweet, with pale malt. Grainy wheat. Plenty of floral yeast with a peppery spice bite. Initial sweetness turns tart in the mildly dry finish.

Mouthfeel is light bodied.

Overall this is an average wit at best. There are too many full flavored witbiers out there to pick this up again. Flavor is harsh, one dimensional, and lacks complexity.

Blakaeris, Aug 14, 2008
2.33/5  rDev -35.3%

A - Pours a pale, pale yellow, almost faint in color, as if it were faded.

S - Bananas, overwhelmingly like older bananas, wheat, and hops, also very hearty.

T - Just as it looks and smells, they is little to no body compared to other wheat brews, and the pale color gave a preview to the dull lackluster flavor.

M - Very light.

D - ....

trackstar1043, Mar 10, 2008
2.33/5  rDev -35.3%

Had this one on-tap at Barley's Brewhaus in Overland Park, KS. Apparently the this is also a test market for the new organic wit.

This one poured a very hazy and extremely pale (and I do mean pale) whitish-yellow. This is perhaps the most pale beer I have ever experienced. It made Budweiser look like burnished brass by comparison. But hey, that's a good thing. The light color and the haze are both in character for a witbier, so I'm happily staring at my glass on this one. It may creep out a newbie to wits, but it's not that far off. A new beer by one of my favorite breweries! All right!

I should have stopped while I was just looking. The aroma is as faint as the color, which is to say it's damned near non-existent. There's no hop presence (granted, to be expected by style), and no malt in the nose, no spices, no orange peel, no yeast phenols... not much of anything really. Well, anything except for this faintly sour smell I can't get past. Not sure what this smells like, but it smells like no beer I've ever had, witbier or otherwise.

The taste is wheaty up front, but even that little bit of character dies quickly without so much as a whimper. It's replaced by that faint sourness, which also fades away into... nothing. This seems much more like a watery American wheat than a wit. I'm getting no malt, no orange, no coriander, no spices at all, neither in the nose or in the taste. In fact, the taste sort of reminds me of lemon Perrier. Highly carbonated, a bit salty, slightly sour, but not much else past that first wave of wheat. There's no aftertaste, which sadly may be the best thing one can say about this. Ugh. What a buzzkill.

It's thin. Water thin. Any body it has is below my threshold for perception.

I was excited to try this beer. That excitement died very fast at first sip. All I could think was "what the hell?" I know New Belgium says this is an organic beer. Fine, fine. But it comes across to me as perhaps a training wheels beer for craft beer initiates. The cynic in me even allowed a passing thought that this was NB's way to prepare everyone for what craft beer will be if A/B continues their buying spree. Then again, maybe this was just a swing and a miss by an otherwise great brewery. Whatever the reason, this was a huge disappointment from one of my favorite breweries. I'm all for smaller beers and reversing the current "hey, let's see how big we can make it!" trend. But if brewers are going to make smaller beers and still keep their loyal clientele happy, they're going to have to have more character than this. Hugely, hugely disappointing, and not one I'd recommend to anyone.

jokelahoma, May 22, 2006
2.33/5  rDev -35.3%

A: Pours a light yellow that is a bit cloudy. A small head forms and leaves spotty lace.
S: Cereal, grain, metal, and light citrus. Not impressed.
T: Again, cereal and grain. Lemon and orange peal. A bit of a metallic flavor that follows the nose. No depth, and just bland.
M/D: A light body that is way over carbonated with a harsh snap on the tongue. This drinks fine. I could session this if I wanted to.

Kind of like fizzy seltzer water with some lemon and orange squeezed in. Bland and unremarkable.

champ103, Sep 26, 2008
2.4/5  rDev -33.3%

Three bottles; three different days, same six-pack: 12DEC08 drink by date; 24244 lot number.

Pretty lemon chiffon color, cloudy. Weak head instantly dissipates. Low carbonation. Faint scents of lemon.

This beer was a great disappointment. Granted, the style is not one of my favorites, but the brewing company is solid and puts out excellent beers. The experience of drinking this beer is like a vanishing point: you begin drinking lemon-water, little taste and no character whatsoever and soon even these have vanished. It tastes as if you are drinking nothing. I can only describe this effect by comparison to a certain bottled water that I drank in France during my year abroad many years ago . . . I believe the brand was Contrex, but it was as if you were drinking nothing. There was no weight nor feel even to the water. That describes my experience of drinking the first three bottles of the 6-pack. I will not drink the last two, the beer is not worth it. UPDATE: 10/7, New Belgium responded within 24 hours with a personal note--not an automated email response--and expressed genuine concern and apologized. Good karma and reinforces my positive general view of the brewery and its beers.

marcellaproust, Oct 06, 2008
2.42/5  rDev -32.8%

22 oz. bottle poured into a mug.

Appearance: Probably the most colourless beer I've ever poured. In the glass it's a hazy golden-white color (like natural/fresh lemonade), but it's more clear than any witbier I've ever had.

Smell: Has a light aroma of spices (cloves, coriander, pepper, etc.), yeast, and a bit of mild citrus.

Taste: Really tastes like water with a bit of what and yeast flavors stirred in. Just a mild hint of spices and virtually no citrus. Aftertaste is mostly a bit of coriander on the tongue.

Mouthfeel: Too light-bodied/wateryfor a witbier. Light but certainly noticable (and slightly tingly) carbonation.

Drinkability: Really not much different than drinking water with a bit of spices and carbonation.

Nothing obviously "wrong" here, but this is probably the most "boring" beer I've had, without it tasting bad. While pouring it looks like water. Everything about it just seems diluted. It's kind of an exicting moment when you get a bit of orange peel in the taste. It's kind of not so exiting when you realize that you still have another 10 oz. of this left to drink...

mithrascruor, Jan 27, 2008
2.42/5  rDev -32.8%

Aroma: Coriander and bitter orange with a slight Belgian yeast character

Appearance: Color is a pale straw with fine carbonation and a quickly collapsing head. The beer is clear. Instructions on the bottle direct you to rouse the yeast by stirring; however that is not applicable to this style so I did not do this. A witbier should be hazy from its protein or unfermented starch. This beer doesn’t have that.

Flavor: The flavor is coriander and mild sweetness finishing with bitter orange and slight hop flavor and bitterness. There is only a mild tartness throughout this beer with no detectable lactic acidity. Lemon is present throughout.

Mouthfeel: Thin body with a tingling carbonation on the tongue.

Overall Impression: In reality Mothership is closer to Blue Moon than an actual Witbier.

Comments: Mothership is a very drinkable beer. However this beer is far from what a Witbier should be. There is no lactic aroma or flavor. While at the same time there are extraneous flavors and aromas (hops and lemons). Once again New Belgium Brewing does not fail to exceed my low expectations. When you compete with the likes of Coors for most fake Witbier, it becomes obvious that advertising is more important to your company than brewing.

160Shillings, Oct 29, 2011