Mothership Wit (Organic Wheat Beer) - New Belgium Brewing

Mothership Wit (Organic Wheat Beer)Mothership Wit (Organic Wheat Beer)

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: mentor on 05-16-2006

IBU's: 12
2.1/5  rDev -42.1%

I really didn't have the same experience some of the other people here did.
A - Poured a clear light yellow, Poured a Miller lite next to it. Looked exactly the same.
S - Adjunct wheat aroma, smelled alot like the miller lite.
T - Wheat, fruits very subtle, adjunct character like the miller lite.
Mouthfeel was highly carbonated and as it was very drinkable it wasn't at all enjoyable.

Not at all a Wit to me, this beer was very reminicent of a macro lager, And at $3.50 a bomber it is maybe the worst beer I have ever had. (525 characters)

2.11/5  rDev -41.9%

Appearance - Light straw color with a slight haze. The head appears to come on strong but disappeared quite rapidly leaving a faint trace of lace.

Smell - Coriander and lemon, with something sweet I can't place somewhere between an orange and a pineapple. Wheat maybe corn.

Taste - There's a fine balance between apple soured with lemon, almost salty with a oddly clean finish.

Mouthfeel - The word bright comes to mind. The carbonation feels almost acidic, like a seltzer, not unpleasant but refreshing like a cool shower on a summer day.

Drinkability - Very easy to drink at first, as I got to the bottom of the glass, I decided that I'd rather drink something else than to open another this night. I think one is quite enough in a sitting. (748 characters)

2.13/5  rDev -41.3%

Has a cloudy light gold color with a small head which reduces quickly. Leaves no lace. The aroma is light lemon and bananas. The flavor is light lemon, bananas, and some sweet malt. Not too impressive. Feels light, crisp, clean, with decent carbonation. The aroma and taste are barely noticeable. This is nothing to get excited about. (334 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -39.4%

I am not a straight up big wheat beer fan. I like some that are mostly flavored. This is the most pure form I think I have ever tasted. If you like that strong musty wheat beer flavor this is your ticket. Looks like a clean crisp glass of lemonade. Smells super yeasty. taste worst than it smells. Banana tones and chalky. Not too impressed but I do not care for wheat beers unless it is a Lienies! (398 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -36.6%

A - Pours a pale, pale yellow, almost faint in color, as if it were faded.

S - Bananas, overwhelmingly like older bananas, wheat, and hops, also very hearty.

T - Just as it looks and smells, they is little to no body compared to other wheat brews, and the pale color gave a preview to the dull lackluster flavor.

M - Very light.

D - .... (341 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Picked this up because I liked 2 Below, thought this would be good, too.

I was a little more than surprised to see it as light yellow as a Bud Light. I swirled the bottle and poured the rest in, giving it some wheat cloudiness. Couldn't get much of a head out of it.

Smells a lot like Blue Moon, but not as strong. Citrus and fermented orange peel.

Tastes somewhat like Blue Moon, but not as good, and way lighter. Same funky fermented orange peel taste that I don't much care for from Blue Moon, but at least BM has some more enjoyable flavors mixed in. I found it boring and one dimensional. Over-spiced. I really didn't want to continue drinking after my first taste.

Mouthfeel is grainy and somewhat watery, with a decent amount of carbonation.

The appearance and taste kept me from wanting more than one. It is light, which helps, but that's it.

I wish New Belgium would have labeled this as "light"; it would have been received at least a little bit better. I wasn't impressed at all. (996 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -35.8%

A: Pours a light yellow that is a bit cloudy. A small head forms and leaves spotty lace.
S: Cereal, grain, metal, and light citrus. Not impressed.
T: Again, cereal and grain. Lemon and orange peal. A bit of a metallic flavor that follows the nose. No depth, and just bland.
M/D: A light body that is way over carbonated with a harsh snap on the tongue. This drinks fine. I could session this if I wanted to.

Kind of like fizzy seltzer water with some lemon and orange squeezed in. Bland and unremarkable. (505 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -35.3%

Pours pale, hazy lemon yellow. Modest head dissipates quickly to a thin ring and a slight soapy sheen.

Aroma is bubblegum wheat, coriander, and lemon drop.

Taste is initially very sweet, with pale malt. Grainy wheat. Plenty of floral yeast with a peppery spice bite. Initial sweetness turns tart in the mildly dry finish.

Mouthfeel is light bodied.

Overall this is an average wit at best. There are too many full flavored witbiers out there to pick this up again. Flavor is harsh, one dimensional, and lacks complexity. (523 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -35%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Had this one on-tap at Barley's Brewhaus in Overland Park, KS. Apparently the this is also a test market for the new organic wit.

This one poured a very hazy and extremely pale (and I do mean pale) whitish-yellow. This is perhaps the most pale beer I have ever experienced. It made Budweiser look like burnished brass by comparison. But hey, that's a good thing. The light color and the haze are both in character for a witbier, so I'm happily staring at my glass on this one. It may creep out a newbie to wits, but it's not that far off. A new beer by one of my favorite breweries! All right!

I should have stopped while I was just looking. The aroma is as faint as the color, which is to say it's damned near non-existent. There's no hop presence (granted, to be expected by style), and no malt in the nose, no spices, no orange peel, no yeast phenols... not much of anything really. Well, anything except for this faintly sour smell I can't get past. Not sure what this smells like, but it smells like no beer I've ever had, witbier or otherwise.

The taste is wheaty up front, but even that little bit of character dies quickly without so much as a whimper. It's replaced by that faint sourness, which also fades away into... nothing. This seems much more like a watery American wheat than a wit. I'm getting no malt, no orange, no coriander, no spices at all, neither in the nose or in the taste. In fact, the taste sort of reminds me of lemon Perrier. Highly carbonated, a bit salty, slightly sour, but not much else past that first wave of wheat. There's no aftertaste, which sadly may be the best thing one can say about this. Ugh. What a buzzkill.

It's thin. Water thin. Any body it has is below my threshold for perception.

I was excited to try this beer. That excitement died very fast at first sip. All I could think was "what the hell?" I know New Belgium says this is an organic beer. Fine, fine. But it comes across to me as perhaps a training wheels beer for craft beer initiates. The cynic in me even allowed a passing thought that this was NB's way to prepare everyone for what craft beer will be if A/B continues their buying spree. Then again, maybe this was just a swing and a miss by an otherwise great brewery. Whatever the reason, this was a huge disappointment from one of my favorite breweries. I'm all for smaller beers and reversing the current "hey, let's see how big we can make it!" trend. But if brewers are going to make smaller beers and still keep their loyal clientele happy, they're going to have to have more character than this. Hugely, hugely disappointing, and not one I'd recommend to anyone. (2,648 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -33.3%

Three bottles; three different days, same six-pack: 12DEC08 drink by date; 24244 lot number.

Pretty lemon chiffon color, cloudy. Weak head instantly dissipates. Low carbonation. Faint scents of lemon.

This beer was a great disappointment. Granted, the style is not one of my favorites, but the brewing company is solid and puts out excellent beers. The experience of drinking this beer is like a vanishing point: you begin drinking lemon-water, little taste and no character whatsoever and soon even these have vanished. It tastes as if you are drinking nothing. I can only describe this effect by comparison to a certain bottled water that I drank in France during my year abroad many years ago . . . I believe the brand was Contrex, but it was as if you were drinking nothing. There was no weight nor feel even to the water. That describes my experience of drinking the first three bottles of the 6-pack. I will not drink the last two, the beer is not worth it. UPDATE: 10/7, New Belgium responded within 24 hours with a personal note--not an automated email response--and expressed genuine concern and apologized. Good karma and reinforces my positive general view of the brewery and its beers. (1,199 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -32.5%

Aroma: Coriander and bitter orange with a slight Belgian yeast character

Appearance: Color is a pale straw with fine carbonation and a quickly collapsing head. The beer is clear. Instructions on the bottle direct you to rouse the yeast by stirring; however that is not applicable to this style so I did not do this. A witbier should be hazy from its protein or unfermented starch. This beer doesn’t have that.

Flavor: The flavor is coriander and mild sweetness finishing with bitter orange and slight hop flavor and bitterness. There is only a mild tartness throughout this beer with no detectable lactic acidity. Lemon is present throughout.

Mouthfeel: Thin body with a tingling carbonation on the tongue.

Overall Impression: In reality Mothership is closer to Blue Moon than an actual Witbier.

Comments: Mothership is a very drinkable beer. However this beer is far from what a Witbier should be. There is no lactic aroma or flavor. While at the same time there are extraneous flavors and aromas (hops and lemons). Once again New Belgium Brewing does not fail to exceed my low expectations. When you compete with the likes of Coors for most fake Witbier, it becomes obvious that advertising is more important to your company than brewing. (1,247 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -31.1%

22 oz. bottle poured into a mug.

Appearance: Probably the most colourless beer I've ever poured. In the glass it's a hazy golden-white color (like natural/fresh lemonade), but it's more clear than any witbier I've ever had.

Smell: Has a light aroma of spices (cloves, coriander, pepper, etc.), yeast, and a bit of mild citrus.

Taste: Really tastes like water with a bit of what and yeast flavors stirred in. Just a mild hint of spices and virtually no citrus. Aftertaste is mostly a bit of coriander on the tongue.

Mouthfeel: Too light-bodied/wateryfor a witbier. Light but certainly noticable (and slightly tingly) carbonation.

Drinkability: Really not much different than drinking water with a bit of spices and carbonation.

Nothing obviously "wrong" here, but this is probably the most "boring" beer I've had, without it tasting bad. While pouring it looks like water. Everything about it just seems diluted. It's kind of an exicting moment when you get a bit of orange peel in the taste. It's kind of not so exiting when you realize that you still have another 10 oz. of this left to drink... (1,103 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -31.1%

a couple of bottles of this are leftover from a potluck. as i didn't get to try it at dinner, and since i quite like fat tire, i was looking forward to it. alas, it is crap. looks and smells like a witbier should, but is thin and watery--absolutely no depth of flavour. in fact, almost no flavour at all. i may as well be drinking water. luckily, there's only another bottle of this, as i don't think it would be suitable for cooking with either.

edit to add: i should have waited a bit to post my review. it improves as it gets closer to room temperature. the aroma is certianly better now, and it tastes a little less like watered down, fizzy lemonade. still not a beer i would buy again. (691 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -30.6%

Picked up a bomber of this stuff.

The stuff poured a bright clear yellow, no hazy at all. Smelled a bit fruity. The head came right up with the pour and back down within seconds. The mouthfeel was okay, but a bit thin.

I'd let you know how it tasted, but there was hardly any. It was extremely bland. I had others sample it and we agreed this stuff was boring.

I could very easily drink this to cool me down, but not if I wanted something with flavor.

'Organic' must mean 'water'. (485 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle from Whole Foods in Henderson, NV. This beer is a cloudy lemonade color with a medium and fizzy white head that burns away quickly. Spotty lacing on the glass. The aroma is kind of skunky with overripe fruit and spices behind it. Light-bodied with the skunky character less pronounced in the flavor but it is still there, along with some spice, fruit and wheat. The finish is fruity and short. I will have to try another bottle at some point as I am surprised to not enjoy a New Belgium beer. (499 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -29.8%

Pours a dark yellow with a nice, big bubbled white head. Nose of a hint of sour and a lightly spiced granny smith apple. Mouthfeel is light and a bit thin. No real character and flavors are weak, unassertive and boring. Very light fruit, very watered down citrus. I'm betting the bottle is old. Perhaps another shot some day. (325 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -29.8%

Pours from 12 oz. bottle a pale light yellowish under quickly disappearing white head, that hangs to the side of the glass . I used a small pilsner glass.

Citrusy aroma, not strong.

Small bite to the taste, slight fruit & citrus with a backfeel of wheat.
Plenty of fizz for the first few minutes.
Not a strong aftertaste. Leaves you wanting more, but of what. (363 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -29.8%

We decided to try this one since it was such a ridiculous hot day here in SD. Picked up a bottle at the store and then had a nice cold pasta salad with it. Poured from a 22oz bottle into a maredsous chalice and a wine glass - looks very nice pale yellowish orange with a nice amount of yeast distributed. The head was a fine white lace that dissipated rather rapidly but at the start was beautiful. The smell is very strong coriander with a slight hint of citrus underneath. Sadly the taste did not prove to be nearly as delightful. Still some of the coriander at the beginning but not much of a finish and no other flavors really - and the finish is not even particularly clean or refreshing.. really let down by it. The mouthfeel seemed very thin and almost watery. The drinkability suffered from too strong coriander with not a lot else. At least it was cold on a hot day. (875 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -29.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a Stella glass. Best before October 09 on the glass.

From the start I didn't like the look of this beer. It was very pale; like peach juice in water. Not very cloudy or active in the glass. Like most wit beers this has a very thin head. As far as aroma goes, the expected citrus was there. However, I detected a dried grass scent that did not blend well with the grain and malt notes.

I wasn't expecting much out of the flavor based on how pale the beer was. Citrus was the strongest quality, with an earthy grain flavor coming in second. The beer is slightly bitter on the finish, but everything here is very weak. Definitely not nearly as interesting as other beers in this category. I just can't get over how light this beer really was. Even the feel of it was very light.

I really like white beers, but this one is not for me. Weak and unappealing to me.

(From tasting notes dated 12 Jul 2009) (929 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -28.4%

Very light pale yellow, almost "white" with small fine head.

Very mild nose. Pick up some yeasty wheat, mild bubblegum.

Very soft and light, even for a wit, mild carbonation.

Not too much flavor either. Very mild light wheaty flavors with a decent touch of acidity. Hardly any spice detectable at all- tiny bit of allspice. Aroma and flavor follow right along the mild-mannered looks of this one. (399 characters)

1 pint 6 oz bottle

Best before 16 Oct 2009

Served a very pale, clear yellow, but with a big, light fluffy head that was not well retained, but active carbonation is noted.

Aroma was grainy, very light yeast aroma, but overall pretty weak. No citrus, spices, citrus or banana that one would expect.

Taste pretty well follows the nose. There is not much to it and it is pretty weak.

The beer was very light, smooth with decent drinkability. Overall not a good representation of the style. I might give it a shot on tap, but I doubt I would buy a bottle again. (562 characters)

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Ommegang glass.

A: Half way between extremely pale yellow and colorless. No head to speak of. No lace. No bubbles.

S: Mild spices, mild banana and pear. Slightly lemon-y. Odd, faint corn on the cob aroma.

T: Vaguely spicy/peppery hops. Extremely subdued lemon, spice, and everything else.

M: Bitter, dry, and thin.

D: Probably sessionable but why on earth would you want to do that? This is pretty lousy. (442 characters)

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a bomber into a weiss glass. Freshenss date of 16 October 2009.

Pours an extremely pale straw, almost water-like, with a medium cloud that makes the beer truly a "white". Effervescent bubbles climb the cylinder of the glass, sustaining a nice cap.

Aroma is light malt, wheat on the nose with a hint of citrus and dusty old yeast. The yeast aroma is aged and almost wild. Mostly wheat on the nose with about as much hops as anything else. Mild on aroma, at the least.

Taste and Mouthfeel is husky grain, almost an adjunct flavor. The flavor yields a very low amount of esters and phenols that usually make a flavor profile. Watery and beer flavored water are all I get. This is possibly the worst wit I've ever had, it's watery, bland and...nothing.

Really if it's the organic thing that's fine. I've had better organic beers. I've had better gluten free beers. This was crap, plain and simple. I've had very competent beers from New Belgium, I don't know what happened here. (990 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pure bone white head, bleached of all color, not a lot of depth, dissolves down swiftly, leaves no lacing behind. The color is extremely washed out, while gauzy about the palest yellow seen in some time. Nose is light as well, gossamer lemon and orange peel, clove and nutmeg spice, rose hips, vague banana and estery fruit scents, nothing much going on here. Medium-bodied, has weight but the flavors are about as dilute as can be imagined, might be attributable to the scourge of being "organic" which in beer-speak means stripped of flavor intensity. Attenuated orange, lemon citrus, that same clove, coriander, nutmeg stuff, no malts nor real hoppy zing. Tenuous sourdough and metallic water notes. The carbonation level is fine and appropriate per se but appears greater as there's nothing to really carbonate. Cannot accuse it of a watery finish as that would mean it dropped off from something denser. Better than a Coors Light, I will admit that. (954 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -27.8%

Overall, this is kind of a disappointing beer. The color is surprisingly light, just a tinge darker than dirty water. It's a thin beer that relies heavily on spices for any character at all. The mouthfeel is somewhat plain and it lacks head retention. (251 characters)

Mothership Wit (Organic Wheat Beer) from New Belgium Brewing