Mothership Wit (Organic Wheat Beer) - New Belgium Brewing

Mothership Wit (Organic Wheat Beer)Mothership Wit (Organic Wheat Beer)

good

pDev: 15%
New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  4.80% ABV

IBU's: 12

(Beer added by: mentor on 05-16-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
« first ‹ prev | 801-825 | 826-850 | 851-875  | next › last »
BretSikkink

Mexico

3.23/5  rDev -10.3%

Slightly hazy light gold brew, thin ring of lacing. Not impressive, it looks a little watery. The aroma is likewise thin, some bread yeast and a touch of spice.

The flavor is also watery, the coriander comes through well and I actually like the floral hop presence, but the overall effect is a little bland. A more ball-busting yeast, keep the hop juice on, and bottle-condition, and I'm in. But with it's present state, it's more ultra-light white beer.

04-06-2007 21:42:40 | More by BretSikkink
BigJTrucker

Oregon

3.65/5  rDev +1.4%

A decent enough example of the style. Pours a slightly hazy yellow, very carbonated. a nice foam settles on the surface. Smells of orange peel, coriander, perhaps also cloves? hmm... Taste also is of orange peels, wheat and yeast. A Decent enough example of the style. It's got just enough flavor to give someone an idea of what a wit should taste like, but not too overpowering.

03-29-2007 06:12:48 | More by BigJTrucker
sleazo

3.9/5  rDev +8.3%

On Tap at pizza port Carlsbad. A very nice looking wit. Yellow, cloudy with a nice head, good lacing. Smell is a litttle strong with the coriander. I think this is a good wit, if a bit strong on the coriander. there is a nice spice here that tickles the throat, I like this one alot. The mothfeel is medium, decent carbonation. good for the style i could have had a few of these of if I didnt have to drive

03-18-2007 07:09:01 | More by sleazo
ctdfalconer

I am a fan of this style, but only a very wary one. I like the fact that the witbier style is more prevalent than ever, but with popularity comes mediocrity. A witbier is pretty easy to make but hard to make well. It is a problem of subtlety -- nothing can be too forward or it throws the whole thing off-kilter. Everything needs to be noticeable but minimal. The brewer has to balance and restrain many factors: hops, yeasty phenols, esters, spiciness, citrusyness, tartness, dryness, grainyness, breadyness. When everything is in balance, it's magical, deliciously refreshing yet astonishingly complex.

New Belgium's wit is a creditable and drinkable example, complex enough to be interesting. It has several aspects that make it come off a bit rough in my estimation. For one, the hopping is a tad agressive. There's good flowery-perfumey hop aroma and a good dryness in the finish, but it gets in the way of the rest of the brew. Also, the yeasty esters lend a gooey aspect to the scent where I expect to find more crisp, spicy-phenolic profile. This character is also present in the flavor. This is decent beer, but a reformulation with another yeast strain might be better.

01-29-2007 04:54:43 | More by ctdfalconer
BlindPig

3.6/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A- 1/4" White head on a very pale whitish golden body.
S- Almost a hint of a burnt smell. Pretty big yeast aroma. Hints of light fruit like oranges. Just a faint hint of it though. Some other aromas I just can't put my finger on.
T- A light yeast and malt flavor. There is a light amount of hops to help balance it out. One of the first beers from this style that I have review. Light fruit hints like bananas. Not very strong flavors in this but not to weak either.
M- Thin body with medium to high carbonation.
D- It is pretty good. Not a huge fan of this style but it is tasty. Reminds me a bit of VE 020202. It is a very easy drinking beer though.

01-22-2007 01:38:02 | More by BlindPig
Zorro

3.8/5  rDev +5.6%

Sampled due to the kindness of gbontrag.

The pour rewards me with classic Belgian Witbier looks. Pale sunny and hazy yellow beer with a tall white head.

Smell is sweet and sharply spicy. Possibly a little much coriander was used here, as the scent is quite sharp. On the spicier end of the witbier continuum in scent. Powdery yeast aroma but this has such a powerful scent it probably is hiding some subtle scents.

Taste is dry and spicy at the very start with a creamy wheat after taste. Quite strongly spicy for a beer of this style this is a wit that won't back down. Fair amounts of flower and yeast flavors here but the clear emphasis here is in the spice flavor.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Drinkability here will depend largely on your perception about how spicy a wit should be. This gains points on aggressive spiciness but loses some of the more subtle smells and tastes. I like a powerful wit so to me this is quite good.

12-16-2006 01:55:41 | More by Zorro
woodychandler

3.45/5  rDev -4.2%

This was served with a big, fluffy, bone-white head. The color was a slightly cloudy lemon yellow. The nose had a yeasty, musty, wheat character. The mouthfeel was light to medium with a good bit of effervescence. I got a slightly lemony taste on the palate, but the lingering taste on the finish was the musty, yeasty flavor that I noted on the nose. It was not bad in the 103 degree heat of Wichita, Kansas in mid-July, but it was not destined to be a personal favorite, either.

10-26-2006 23:42:26 | More by woodychandler
Oxymoron

3.88/5  rDev +7.8%

I got to try this one at New Belgium. I was surprised to find that it was bottled and distributed out since I haven’t seen it around here (as of yet). Note that the sample was about a 4 oz sample but reviewed with everyone’s opinion that was with me.

Poured a hazy off yellow color with a very limited head that hung around the edges. But surprising enough the lace stood up well. The aroma had a light Belgium feel with some yeasty pinch and good wheat aroma. Limited citrus and a feint orange finish.

The taste was more wit then the nose indicated. A malty wheat backing with citrus orange and a touch of coriander and flower in the finish. The yeast feeling was more subtle with a lingering aftertaste feel.

The body had a mid feel that could have been bigger but finished clean with a citrus peel and a noticeable but still subtle soapy finish. Overall a good beer that I wouldn’t mind seeing in the rotation.

07-05-2006 05:48:27 | More by Oxymoron
jokelahoma

Missouri

2.33/5  rDev -35.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Had this one on-tap at Barley's Brewhaus in Overland Park, KS. Apparently the this is also a test market for the new organic wit.

This one poured a very hazy and extremely pale (and I do mean pale) whitish-yellow. This is perhaps the most pale beer I have ever experienced. It made Budweiser look like burnished brass by comparison. But hey, that's a good thing. The light color and the haze are both in character for a witbier, so I'm happily staring at my glass on this one. It may creep out a newbie to wits, but it's not that far off. A new beer by one of my favorite breweries! All right!

I should have stopped while I was just looking. The aroma is as faint as the color, which is to say it's damned near non-existent. There's no hop presence (granted, to be expected by style), and no malt in the nose, no spices, no orange peel, no yeast phenols... not much of anything really. Well, anything except for this faintly sour smell I can't get past. Not sure what this smells like, but it smells like no beer I've ever had, witbier or otherwise.

The taste is wheaty up front, but even that little bit of character dies quickly without so much as a whimper. It's replaced by that faint sourness, which also fades away into... nothing. This seems much more like a watery American wheat than a wit. I'm getting no malt, no orange, no coriander, no spices at all, neither in the nose or in the taste. In fact, the taste sort of reminds me of lemon Perrier. Highly carbonated, a bit salty, slightly sour, but not much else past that first wave of wheat. There's no aftertaste, which sadly may be the best thing one can say about this. Ugh. What a buzzkill.

It's thin. Water thin. Any body it has is below my threshold for perception.

I was excited to try this beer. That excitement died very fast at first sip. All I could think was "what the hell?" I know New Belgium says this is an organic beer. Fine, fine. But it comes across to me as perhaps a training wheels beer for craft beer initiates. The cynic in me even allowed a passing thought that this was NB's way to prepare everyone for what craft beer will be if A/B continues their buying spree. Then again, maybe this was just a swing and a miss by an otherwise great brewery. Whatever the reason, this was a huge disappointment from one of my favorite breweries. I'm all for smaller beers and reversing the current "hey, let's see how big we can make it!" trend. But if brewers are going to make smaller beers and still keep their loyal clientele happy, they're going to have to have more character than this. Hugely, hugely disappointing, and not one I'd recommend to anyone.

05-22-2006 05:47:44 | More by jokelahoma
rowew

4.33/5  rDev +20.3%

Presentation: On tap at the brewery, and then from a growler which I brought home.

Apearance: Hazy yellow with a thin head and good retention, constant gentle bubbling. Nice lacing.

Aroma: Funky yeast, a bit of citrus, and wheat.

Taste: Clean wheat flavors with just a bit of spice (coriander?), and citrus. Nice yeast flavor as well.

Overall impression: very drinkable and interesting - much better than the other wheat the brewery offers - ditch the Sunshine and bottle this!

Serving type: growler

05-17-2006 23:12:32 | More by rowew
mentor

Colorado

My understanding is that NBB had been working toward production of some organic beers. This is the first time I've seen one on the menu in the tasting room.

Presented in a mini-tulip glass in the sampling room at the brewery. I also drank most of my wife's to make sure I would have enough for a review (I gave her one of my sample beers that she wanted). Cloudy diluted lemon colored with almost no head. Looks like dirty dishwater. The small amount of foam consists of a ring of fine white bubbles. Smells coriander, phenolic funk, lemon balm, wheat.

Tastes wheat. Orange peel is mild. Coriander. Funk is mild and flat. Musty lemons and a little bit soapy. Crisp dry finish. Hanging aftertaste shows hints of noble hops (saaz?) and a memory of honey. Modest carbonation. Light body and mouthfeel. Judged to style, not my preferences.

05-16-2006 04:04:43 | More by mentor