Springboard - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: Wasatch on 01-13-2007)
1.35/5  rDev -61.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle with a best before date on the label. Was a light golden color with very small head that quickly went away. The smell was very off-putting and had me worried. It's an exotic brew with Goji berries, Wormwood and Schisandra. Not sure which one dominated the smell but it was not good. The taste was horrendous. Again not sure which one is the culprit but disgusting. Very bitter and acidic from start to finish. The acidity actually gets worse after you drink and keeps on building. I don't mind bitter but acidic and whatever flavoring(s) are dominating ruin this. I love almost anything that NBB puts out but this one is terrible. I can't think of a single positive attribute to this one. Drain pour. Highly, highly don't recommend. (0, NA, ML, N)

2.1/5  rDev -40%

Reviewed 2/13/2007 (12oz bottle,BB 15JUN07):

Pours a big head with big bubbles, somewhat lasting head. Beer has a very clear football beer-ish color, very fizzy. Very malty aroma, inhaling deeply - floral aroma. Football beer-ish aroma, not appealing. Light taste, malty aftertaste, but more flavor than typical football beer. Good dry malty taste on the tongue. Reminds me a little of Sam Adams lite. Odd combination of flavors, malts somewhat tempered, but not all that appealing an overall flavor.

2.25/5  rDev -35.7%

Looks like a wit. Pale creamy white body with dim lemon yellow shades. Pure white cap of froth on top. Lacing is sufficient. Aroma has some wheat tang characteristics and a little lemon. Flavor is pretty lifeless. I'm not getting it here whatever "it" is. So this beer is brewed with Wormwood, Lycium, Schisandra, oats, ancient Chinese herbs, Mt. Hood hops and 2% of this ale was aged in Oak Barrels?? Why 2%? The flavor is gritty and dirty. Not very clean or refreshing. A weird kind of dryness lingers. This is not for me. Glad I only got a single.

2.3/5  rDev -34.3%

Have been killing off a sixer throughout the summer, here's the last one.

Modest head after a gentle pour. Body is an opaque gold, looks like some magical elixir (and hey, it's beer, so it is by definition).

Smells of herbs (bottle says wormwood, lycium, schisandra, you'd think one random ingredient would be enough to push the envelope) and oak, the 2% of the beer aged in oak makes a difference. Hops are cool and muted. No esters, no sweetness.

Taste is very dry and herbal. Bitterness from hops and herbs blends together, especially on the finish. Any sweetness is fleeting. Finish is medicinally bitter.

Creamy mouthfeel. Lush carbonation.

Where is the nuanced malt profile? Feels like New Belgium decided, "throw some crazy herbs in that beer, man, and age it in oak, and put a wave of snow on the label. Extreme!" I drank the other five before this, so not awful, but this is an attempt to push the style that fell short. Throw in the inflated price and I won't be revisiting it.

2.38/5  rDev -32%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a snifter. Pale straw colored beverage emerges with a small head that leaves abruptly with no lacing. Slightly cloudy due to chill haze.

Aroma is sour and spicy. Black pepper and lemon rinds. A little bit of baby diaper in there as well. I swear this smells almost like a Brett beer or a sour of some sort. Not really impressed.

Taste is sour and stale. Some hop bitterness at the end. Light in body and mouthfeel. I was very disappointed with this one since I like most other New Belgium offerings. I say pass on this one.

2.42/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A friend brought this by and was interested after reading the label with the extra spicing and the aging in oak.

A-Golden color, reminded me of "sparkling" beverages with the amount of carbonation and the bright color
S-WormWwod smell, and some fruity scents, Almost smells bitter in the nose
T-Kind of generic pilsner like flavor of malt(not bready thought) with extra spices/fruit on top. These "spices" gave a bitter taste to the beer and something that I can't describe. It was not good to me and was getting worse as it warmed.
M-Felt good in the mouth being smooth yet carbonated
D-I barely drank this one let one more.

This was aninteresting beer as I think it is a well crafted beer per the appearance and mouthfeel but I didn't care for the flavors they added.

Photo of
2.42/5  rDev -30.9%

12oz. bottle. Best before 7/6/07, so plenty of time left.

I had 3 out of a six pack thinking I was missing something, so this review is not based on a bad bottle. I will admit that entire six could be off....

Hazy, pale yellow in color. Medium size, white head. Brew includes - wormwood, goji berries, schisandra, and Mt. Hood hops.

Bitter and acidic scent - wormwood? Not to be disgusting, but smelled a bit like urine. Had a hard time getting past that, so I didn't pick up much else.

Taste was bitter moreso than sweet. Different than normal hop bitterness, and I really didn't care for it. Some citrus flavor in there. Bitterness lingered well into aftertaste.

Light to medium in body. Medium carbonation. Fairly dry.

Overall, visually a dud for me. Scent almost resulted in a drain pour. Taste a bit better, but not something I'll be back for. I could be talked into trying it again, but....

2.5/5  rDev -28.6%

This reminds me of a concoction my friend Audiogilz and I came up with to get high once. Consisted of some herbs and whatnot, but was so wretched we had to put it aside. I don't want to so9nd drunk or anything for this is my first beer tonight and my first beer review on advocate. ha 9

I greatly appreciate this site, and have had several of new belgiums beers, but this one isn't doing much for me. Tastes like detox tea. Maybe it would go good with sushi?

2.53/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz. bottle- color of hazy yellow , with a frothy head - nose of I have no ideal what a goji berry smells like , however it has a crisp wheat nose – taste of wheat , hay , dry straw , lemon zest , and citrus hopps - body light , medium carbonation , and acidic – aftertaste of sour , and acidic long lasting

2.68/5  rDev -23.4%

12 oz bottle, best before July 15 07.
Hazy yellow, with a fluffy white head and sticky lace.

Aroma is citrusy with some fruity bubblegum, and a spice I can’t pin down.

Flavor is woody, citrusy, herbal.

Finish is dry with an herbal character.

Interesting, but not one of NB best efforts.

2.7/5  rDev -22.9%

Light colored cloudy grassy hay infused beer with a light full head of pure white. Light white lacing.

Very fruity and spicey aromas. Berry and melon with hints of belgian yeast. Bright floral aromatics but just lacking some overall depth of aroma.

Not sure about this beer. Doesn't really have much flavor going on and leaves a ruddled gritty film on my tongue on the finish. Grassy light melon flavors thin mouth. Light spice and herbal quality, slight belgian yeast flavors. I guess these could be good on a warm day but otherwise something I'm not diggin.

2.73/5  rDev -22%

I was expecting something more complex and interesting with the "brewed with" notes on the bottle. This beer is a disappointment to me in most respects.

For me, its best attribute was appearance. It poured very pale hazy yellow with a colorless white, fluffy cap. The head lasted pretty long, and left nice lacing.

Smell was faint but pleasant. I noted grass and herbs, maybe just a little bit of malts.

Taste was thin and weak. Again, grass and herbs with some bready malts on the aftertaste. Flavors are there, but seem watered down. I was hoping for something interesting from yeasts, being a "Belgian Pale," but didn't notice any. Fairly high carbonation made for a zesty, fresh, light mouthfeel.

To me, this beer lost the great aspects of either a good Belgian or a Pale Ale. At the cost of a typical craft brew, I won't be getting this again unless I hear they've gone back to the drawing board with the recipe.

2.75/5  rDev -21.4%

Nice yellow edges and a center that was just slightly hazy in the glass. Head was big and bubbly but not too thick. The smell was light and refreshing with hints of apple, dried fruits, and almost a nutmeg. Mouthfeel was light and real wet but it begged to be swallowed quickly. It was hard to not drink the whole beer in one drink. Tastes are real mellow and hard to miss with the drinkabilty. Fruit is the first thing I can think of. It almost has a metalic taste to the back and it all blends well I supose. Another seasonal from New Belgium. I don't think I buy this beer but for the style I supose it is ok. Be careful - slow down - don't swallow the whole thing.

2.78/5  rDev -20.6%

Served from bottle into standard pint glass.

Pours a cloudy pale yellow color. Maybe a quarter inch white head, average retention, and minimal lace.

Aroma is somewhat mild, maybe slightly grainy, with fruits and a mild hop note.

Flavor is not overly impressive either. Not much really punches through. Some pale malt, maybe some grassy notes and a little bit of a sour bitterness in the dry finish. Bitterness only lasts for a moment into the aftertaste.

Medium body, moderate carbonation. I don't get anything too compelling in this beer. The flavor seems absent, and certainly isn't complex or distinctive by any means. Safe to say I won't be picking this one up again.

Springboard from New Belgium Brewing