Springboard - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: Wasatch on 01-13-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
NatetheGreat

Nevada

3.65/5  rDev +4%

Mixed feelings here but overall not a bad brew (but not great).

A: yellow-gold, light, somewhat cloudy. Nice soft head and quite a bit of lacing left on glass.

S: soft, tart wheat aroma, doughy, also lemon notes. moderate yeast aroma as well. all of this is understated and a unassertive. Not particularly memorable but not unpleasant.

T: wheat and citrus and yeast prevalent. Tart, dry finish. like the nose, not assertive flavor, but light, refreshing. It does get a little boring after awhile.

M: good mouthfeel, smooth, good carbonation.

D: very good, easy drinking beer and enough happening to keep interest. Overall, I enjoyed the beer but wasn't outstanding and probably not going to seek out again.

03-22-2008 04:47:14 | More by NatetheGreat
PaleAlien2

Nebraska

2.93/5  rDev -16.5%

A: Hazy yellow with a snowy head.
S: Citrus and grass.
T: Very lemony. Reminded me a lot of a Wheat, except it has a hint of the same herbs that are so overpowering in New Belgium's 2 Below winter brew. Whatever "Chinese herbs" they use, I just don't like it; it's a little weird for me.
M: High carbonation, dry finish.
D: This one is not for me. More of a personal preference than anything else, I think. The herbs just do not agree with me.

03-22-2008 03:38:43 | More by PaleAlien2
geokills

3.53/5  rDev +0.6%

Glistening with a bright white head of one-finger's width, the color is that of an early harvest lemon, a tinge of green atop a haze of cloudy yellow. Pronounced lacing, a light fresh smell. Smooth mouthfeel with just enough crisp carbonation to liven the senses on a warm spring's late afternoon. No strong flavors, a touch of citrus, very drinkable but relatively unremarkable.

03-21-2008 02:48:53 | More by geokills
msubulldog25

3.58/5  rDev +2%

This is a pint poured at The City, a sports bar in downtown Portland.

A: Completely hazy, a milky wheat color with a scant head but with terrific bands of Belgian lace. 1-finger head falls quickly to a thin whitish cream.

S: Nothing to be excited over...just a thin malty/bready aroma that hints at lemon.

T: Upfront earthy/lightly woody pith. Chewy bread dough, with a light lemon/tart finish. The goji berry & wormwood in this are unfamiliar, but tasty.

M: Zesty, with a medium-light body that's carefully carbonated. Finishes clean and a little dry.

D. A good beer with many likable traits. Clean & fresh on-tap, east to consume. One I've had on a few occasions; pretty simple but very tasty.

03-18-2008 21:01:02 | More by msubulldog25
shadow1961

4.1/5  rDev +16.8%

New Belgium's just started bringing 12 ounce bottles into
the Minnesota market, and the best news of all is that they
are not all Fat Tire. Fr' instance-

New Belgium's Springboard Ale pours a stiff finger of creamy
foam over a slightly cloudy yellow brew. Carbonation is slow
but steady, and the nose is ale yeast and a bit of appetizing
sourness that can only be from the fraction of this ale which
was aged on wood. The flavor is light malts up front and an
interesting herbal finish, no doubt due to the Wormwood,
Lycium, and Schisandra cited on the label. There are also notes
of the same sour-to-velvet funkiness I've noticed in Flemish Reds
and Grand Cru's- just much more subtle. There's good lacing all
the way down the glass as the brew magically disappears, and
the mouthfeel round yet also crisp and with a bit of dryness. Once
again, New Belgium shows how to take a relatively basic brew and
do a little magic with it- Springboard was a real treat!

03-18-2008 08:02:25 | More by shadow1961
salvadorwill

3.23/5  rDev -8%

Was excited to see this at the corner store, I was thinking "I'd love some kind of spring time beer right now" and this jumped out at me.

At first I was very impressed. Great crisp light flavour with a little complexity and a very good drinkable taste. The color and smell are not anything special, but I think this beer is quite a success.

It has a light almost lager look and taste, but more carbonated and more body. It is not too sweet, but has a interesting flavour of herbs and creaminess.

I don't know what style profile they are going for, but it seems like a pretty good effort.

Perfect for a spring day in the sun, and enough alcohol to make you feel good about it.

03-18-2008 02:29:32 | More by salvadorwill
josiahschlender

2.73/5  rDev -22.2%

I was expecting something more complex and interesting with the "brewed with" notes on the bottle. This beer is a disappointment to me in most respects.

For me, its best attribute was appearance. It poured very pale hazy yellow with a colorless white, fluffy cap. The head lasted pretty long, and left nice lacing.

Smell was faint but pleasant. I noted grass and herbs, maybe just a little bit of malts.

Taste was thin and weak. Again, grass and herbs with some bready malts on the aftertaste. Flavors are there, but seem watered down. I was hoping for something interesting from yeasts, being a "Belgian Pale," but didn't notice any. Fairly high carbonation made for a zesty, fresh, light mouthfeel.

To me, this beer lost the great aspects of either a good Belgian or a Pale Ale. At the cost of a typical craft brew, I won't be getting this again unless I hear they've gone back to the drawing board with the recipe.

03-17-2008 20:17:03 | More by josiahschlender
Bighuge

2.25/5  rDev -35.9%

Looks like a wit. Pale creamy white body with dim lemon yellow shades. Pure white cap of froth on top. Lacing is sufficient. Aroma has some wheat tang characteristics and a little lemon. Flavor is pretty lifeless. I'm not getting it here whatever "it" is. So this beer is brewed with Wormwood, Lycium, Schisandra, oats, ancient Chinese herbs, Mt. Hood hops and 2% of this ale was aged in Oak Barrels?? Why 2%? The flavor is gritty and dirty. Not very clean or refreshing. A weird kind of dryness lingers. This is not for me. Glad I only got a single.

03-16-2008 04:20:50 | More by Bighuge
cswhitehorse

3.53/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The Springboard poured a hazy yellow with a 1/2 finger head with some splat lacing. The head disappeared pretty quickly. It had a drink by date.

The aroma was spicy and hard to put a finger on what they were. The bottle mentions wormwood and some other ingredients that are not normal in my vernacular. It did have a nice yeasty smell.

Taste was malty with a semi bitter back end.

In the mouth is was well carbonated and left a slight bitter mark. It is a very refreshing beer that could easily be a session on a hot day.

03-15-2008 02:18:31 | More by cswhitehorse
DoubleJ

3.88/5  rDev +10.5%

It's a mild March afternoon here in Southern California, and that's putting me in the mood to try Springboard. On to the beer:

The beer settles in a chalice a lovely cloudy blonde, but with a short head that goes away. The aroma is made up of assorted spices I can't put my fingers on. Kind of tart and soury. As for the taste, it's refreshing and tastes...um...like springtime. Herbs and spice are alive in the flavor and are melded well into the beer. So then why I am drinking this inside my house? I'm stepping outside for a few minutes where I assume I'm enjoy this beer even more...yeah, it was a little more enjoyable. I even picked up on bubblegum notes too. This gets my recommendation.

03-14-2008 21:05:20 | More by DoubleJ
mithrascruor

3.6/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12 oz. bottle poured into a chalice.

Pours a slightly hazy yellow/gold colour. Slightly hazy with an airy white head (with little retention). Has a light yeasty aroma with a bit of wheat and unidentifiable light fruits in it. Taste is quite similar. Light-bodied with minimal carbonation. Good ABV and quite drinkable. But like most beers from N.B. it fails to catch my attention.

03-10-2008 07:22:53 | More by mithrascruor
churchillps

3.38/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured an extremely pale gold with a thick head. After a vigorous pour, it dissipated slowly and lacing lingered. Smells of floral and herbs. Taste is watery, but complex, not that that's a good thing. More herbs than beer. No bitterness to note, and a light bodied smooth beer that makes me think this is more a herb infused domestic light beer than anything worthwhile.

03-10-2008 00:10:43 | More by churchillps
BrewmasterNPB

4.33/5  rDev +23.4%

Had this on tap at a Steak Restaurant last night, it went well with the sirloin.
Appearance- Cloudy, yellow, thin head
Aroma- Nice, light hop aroma. Citrusy.
Taste- Has that signature New Belgium nutty malty flavor, but it's not as prominant as some of their beers. There is a great balance with the malt and the citrus hop character.
Mouthfeel- Tangy, tastes like wheat.
Drinkability- easy. Try to get this beer on tap, it's pretty good.

03-09-2008 16:25:05 | More by BrewmasterNPB
rxdrewthejew

3.58/5  rDev +2%

I hadn't ever seen this one before and it's tough to get much NB down here anyway, so picked up a six-pack at BevMo. Poured into a snifter

A: Somewhat hazy yellow. Lots of tiny bubbles rising from the bottom, small fluffy white head with decent retention and nice lacing.

S: The smell is quite pungent, I noted it right after cracking open the bottle. I'm really hit with apple/pear and spices, particularly coriander. This actually smells a lot like another NB brew, Mothership Wit.

T: Flavor is really quite mellow. Small malty base opens, followed by a bit of fruity sweetness and spice, and ending with a touch of bitter hops. A bit of yeasty funk throughout. Everything is well balanced but maybe a bit understated.

MF: Well carbonated and filling in the mouth. Full but not thick by any means. Finish is not as dry as advertised.

D: Not a bad offering from NB. It's hard for me to rate this because I haven't had much experience for the style, and thus I can't really compare it to something like Orval or Leffe. I could do with a bit more depth of flavor personally. I like the fact that they didn't go overboard with the hops. I guess my overall impression is that there's nothing offensive about this beer, nothing I particularly dislike, but also nothing that makes it stand out for me.

03-09-2008 07:04:51 | More by rxdrewthejew
dedrinker

Kansas

2.8/5  rDev -20.2%

Very light yellow and hazy. White head. Aromas of citrus/ coriander but not quite. Bitter spices/ herbs. Flavor is a mix of Belgian blonde and witbier. But with a mild and unpleasant bitterness on the finish - like my primitive instincts are kicking in telling me that I have poison in my mouth. The mouth feel is decent, and although the crazy poison taste is not always present on each sip, it shows up enough to mar its drinkability. Maybe this could be a hybrid east meets west crazy cure for a disease I hope never gets discovered.

03-09-2008 03:57:48 | More by dedrinker
riboflavin88

3.5/5  rDev -0.3%

This beer poured a hazy, pale, gold with a nice snowy white head. Its nose wasn't strong at all, but I did get notes of lemony citrus poking through, but nothing too prominent. The beers' taste definitely had a grainy taste, with herbal notes in the back, finished a little dry and tart. Mouthfeel was crisp. Not a bad beer by no means, but I was expecting a little more flavor up front.

03-08-2008 15:33:34 | More by riboflavin88
DrJay

4.13/5  rDev +17.7%

Just got this one in a trade with Oxymoron. Thanks Aaron!
Hazy gold with a big, fluffy head of bright white foam. Lots of sticky lacing and great head retention. Spicy hop aroma, a bit yeasty and earthy, fruity peach, a bit of cereal. Mild flavour with a bit of fruit up front, malt sweetness, floral hops kick in, finishes with peach and spicy hops. Very mellow. Creamy carbonation with a light, airy texture. Not very crisp, but good mouthfeel. A bit drying. Really tasty and very drinkable. This beer has a nice balance and refreshing flavour that I quite enjoyed.

03-08-2008 02:31:48 | More by DrJay
goschool

3.55/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: The pour is a cloudy straw color with a finger of wispy white foam.

Smell: The nose is herbal, grainy, and earthy with notes of lemon grass and pepper.

Taste: The flavor profile is dominated by pale malts. Lemons enter just before the mid-palate, giving way to an earthy, herbal, grassy component followed by white pepper and clove and a hint of Belgian yeast at the finish.

Mouthfeel: The beer is light to medium-bodied and it's refreshingly wet with a dry finish and plenty of carbonation.

Drinkability: This beer is above average and crisp, but it doesn't do enough for me to want to drink more.

03-07-2008 08:16:33 | More by goschool
SurlyDuff

Oregon

The bottle claims that it is flavored with wormwood, which is interesting, as wormwood is a main ingredient in Absinthe. Wormwood is often classified as hallucinogenic too. hmm.. I'll let you know if anything happens. ;)

I've got nothing but good to say about Springboard.

Greenish yellow with the slightest haze. Sticky lacing hugs the side of my glass.

It has a certain bready yeast presence that I think every New Belgium has. A house yeast i think.

Sweet lemon and grassy aroma.

Very herbal, especially for a Belgian Pale Ale. Bright lemongrass and a bit of oak/wood. Extremly refreshing and bright. Great for a camping trip in the summer or a nice spring drinker. Don't save this one until winter, drink it now!

03-05-2008 04:05:49 | More by SurlyDuff
ArrogantB

3.35/5  rDev -4.6%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass which I had to warm by hand, stupid iced glasses. The color was bright white-yellow and reminded me of their wit beer, hazy. It had a funky, yeasty smell to it. The flavor was odd, herbs, no oakiness which is not surprising given that only 2% was oak-aged. Interesting beer and easy to drink but I think one serving is enough.

03-03-2008 19:43:59 | More by ArrogantB
brentk56

3.7/5  rDev +5.4%

Appearance: Pours a hazy lemon color with a big, rocky head that sticks well and webs the glass with lace

Smell: Lemon rind, white pepper and a hint of oak

Taste: Opens with a bready oat flavor that is joined, mid-palate, by a lemony herbal element that eventually becomes quite peppery; after the swallow, the zesty herbal lemony flavor lingers into the finish

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: A refreshing alternative take on a wit that fits more in the summer; not bad but not a favorite with me

Thanks, younger35, for the opportunity

03-03-2008 00:00:38 | More by brentk56
floatingpancake

2.5/5  rDev -28.8%

This reminds me of a concoction my friend Audiogilz and I came up with to get high once. Consisted of some herbs and whatnot, but was so wretched we had to put it aside. I don't want to so9nd drunk or anything for this is my first beer tonight and my first beer review on advocate. ha 9

I greatly appreciate this site, and have had several of new belgiums beers, but this one isn't doing much for me. Tastes like detox tea. Maybe it would go good with sushi?

03-01-2008 03:26:30 | More by floatingpancake
Oxymoron

3.35/5  rDev -4.6%

Guess what session this beer is for? Poured a cloudy off yellow color, very wit like. A frothy white foamy head with some bigger bubbles. Good retention and decent lacing

The nose is light even for style. Mostly I pick out a wheat malt aroma and a distinctive New Belgian yeasty backing There is a touch of biscuit and a light spicy note. Touches of citrus and lemon.

The taste is more prominent. A mix of Belgian pale and biscuit brings up the base of the beer. Not much wheat but there are some texture hints. A nice lime zest with a more citrus orangy finish. Some yeasty notes, touch of banana and the ever so distinctive New Belgian yeast. A little bit of white pepper as well.

The body is light and finishes a touch dry. Some silky or wheaty characteristic for a smooth finish. Carbonation is a light for style but still helps the orange zest finish. Overall it's a bottle conditioned New Belgian beer. Kind of like a spiced up unfiltered Sunshine Wheat.

02-29-2008 21:39:07 | More by Oxymoron
MOShepp

Missouri

3.03/5  rDev -13.7%

Pale cloudy yellow after mixing in the yeast in. I think your suppose to leave the yeast in the bottle with this belgian style, but I want everything in the bottle. 1 1/2" white head with moderate lacing.

Weak aroma with bread and slight citrus.

Tastes about like it smells, not much going on. Citrus, wheat, and some hops coming through.

Crisp and mellow, easy to drink but your "mouth" doesn't "feel" much going on.

02-24-2008 19:08:18 | More by MOShepp
thejewthatbrews

3.73/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a pale, slightly cloudy yellow. Small white head that leaves thin, semi-long lasting, lacing.

T: A bit lager-like in the crispness factor. This aspect shows through even more when poured from the bottle as opposed to drinking straight. Moderately bitter, but not very hoppy. However, this is not to say that the malt dominates, which it certainly does not. It had a little bit fruity taste to it.

S: Very crisp, very fresh smelling, with a small fruity smell that only showed up when tasting.

M: Very light mouthfeel. Almost too light. It was almost like, "I'm sorry, but did I just take a sip of beer, or was I just breathing? Better take another sip to find out." That may be overstating it.

D: High drinkability points for light mouthfeel, but some points taken away, IMO, for lager-like notes. Lagers are not my favorite style, although if this were one, it would be a damn fine example.

Overall, a good beer, and worth the 9 bucks for the sixer. Perfect for one of those spring days, when the weather is warming up, and you're like "Damn, it's hot today!" even though it's only 70 degrees.

02-22-2008 03:42:26 | More by thejewthatbrews