Mighty Arrow Pale Ale - New Belgium Brewing

Mighty Arrow Pale AleMighty Arrow Pale Ale

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 01-05-2008)

I love this beer. If there was only one beer I could get for every day of te rest of my life, this would be it. It's too bad it has been discontinued.

This is my first beer review here. I just signed up! I've tried almost every brew on the craft market over the last 15 years and this one is it. Top notch! Would love to try it on draught if I made it to Colorado.

Alright I'll give this a shot.

Appearance: I love the label and the story behind it about the dog Arrow and all. Pours clean. Nice light amber honey appearance. It seems to have what you people refer to as soft lacing. You can't expect too much of a creamy head on a bottled beer unless perhaps it is bottle conditioned, rite?

Smell: Well it's very ale like. I get the hops smell and some ethyl esters not unlike that reminiscent of a fine Tennessee whiskey. Oh it's beautiful. A very clean scent Yes there's some fruit there. A bit of piney mountain morning air. Gentle honey aromas. A little more pungency toward the bottom of the glass turning a bit skunky. Full character experience.

Taste: The smoothest pale ale I ever tasted. Yahweh must have kegs of this brew upstairs with 'Arrow' waiting there to greet and lick your hands. I have a hard time describing the taste. Lemme lemon has to see if he can agree with some other reviews that were posted: Yes I get fruit and fermented malt sticky sweetness balanced out with a gently caressing ever so feminine bitterness which balances out the clean and refreshing clarity and uplifting sincerity of this exceptional brew.

Mouthfeel?: It is beginning to feel increasingly difficult to review since I have polished off my glass. I might have to crack another, not as originally planned, just to be sure. I would say not heavy, but on the lighter side. If stout and porters are at a 10, and lagers pilsners are within the 1 to 3 range, this would take a five. Very pleasant and satisfying. Not too hoppy, not too malty. The brew is non astringent, that is it will not make you pucker up like a strong hoppy brew might. Nice way to cleanse the palate after something like a Ranger or Imperial IPA. I wish I could give more. You just have to experience it for yourself. It's really good.

Overall: It just draws me in. Its a clear step definitive line in the sand as far as american pale ales go. I would classify it as definately a sessionable beer. I would buy this by the case if that was all that was available. I would like a keg of it for my birthday! The empty glass almost has a green or oolong tea like stinky-sweet smell that makes me think of other things I like. Overall just a really beautiful clean drinking round pale ale without that overbearing bitter bite and aftertaste I get from some pales. This pale has more color and easygoing friendliness. It's just bar none, the most balanced pale ale I have ever had the privelige of putting to my lip. Thanks New Belgium! Don't let this one slip by again!

4.88/5  rDev +29.1%

pour: A gorgeous orangish/red. Nice well structured head,slow to break down, eventually settling to a thin lacing across the surface. Light effervescent drifting on throughout the beer.

Nose: Light overall, malt sweetness then dances back and forth between citrus and floral.

Mouth: Slight astringency at the beginning, almost a malted honey sweetness that melds deliciously with the well balanced floral and citrus characteristics. just lightest tinge of bitterness lingers beckoning you back for more.

This I think is one of the best examples of an APA I've had the pleasure of sampling, which of course explains why its not available year. If only IV was one of the serving types!

4.75/5  rDev +25.7%

4.72/5  rDev +24.9%

I was leery to buy another New Belgium after 2 below. But I thought I would give this seasonal a try. I personally like this time of year for sitting out on my patio grilling with a light ale. This session beer hit the mark. The light crisp citrus flavor gives way to a smooth after taste. You can enjoy it with food regardless of what you are enjoying off the grill.

The head is minimal so i would not recommend letting it sit idle for too long but I have found that this is not a beer I would.

If you are looking for a full beer and something to enjoy by itself for the complexity of the beer you will be disappointed but for a simple seasonal this was amazing.

4.65/5  rDev +23%

Bottle poured into New Belgium "Worthy" glass.

Wow! I haven't really liked anything NB has done outside of Fat Tire except, of course, my favorite beer of ALL TIME...La Folie.

But this aint La Folie. This is the next great, hoppy, crisp session.

A- Pale. Just like you'd expect. No need for elaborate words. Plenty of foamy, white head with great rentention and beautiful lacing.

S- Floral, citrus, hoppy. Like toned down Pliny the Elder. (Oh no he didn't!)

T- Comes through like a typical refreshing Pale Ale but kicks ya with some great Cascade hoppiness at the end. Not too hard though. Just right! I'm loving every taste!

M- Light to medium. Gotta grab a little head with each taste. Makes the hoppiness nice and fluffy.

D- Very drinkable. I'm on number 2 and I have no intention of slowing down. This beer tastes great and its not filling me up. It's interesting enough to crack one after the other. No...I'm not trying to get wasted or anything...but its 70 degrees in Seattle! It's never like this round here in April! This is the perfect beer to say hello to Spring and goodbye to rain with! Thanks NB!

Go grab a sixer. $9 for 72oz of pleasure.

(sure beats the $32 22oz of L.A.'s Angel's Share. Oh! Don't worry...you can read all about that. As you can tell I'm STILL trying to get over it.)

4.63/5  rDev +22.5%

I've had this beer twice now--once from the bottle and once on tap--and am very sad that I was out of the country for most of it's spring seasonal distribution.

Smell: It has a hop nose of mild pine, strong floral and citrus notes that I would almost expect of an IPA. Yummy.

Taste: Clean and crisp with a light toasty malt and just a brush of bitterness up front, then a nice hop flavor that's only very mildly bitter in the finish.

Drinkability: The combination of a brilliant hop nose and only very mild bitterness renders this beer remarkably drinkable. The mouthfeel wasn't too heavy or too light.

Verdict: I can say with confidence that this is absolutely my favorite APA, and probably my favorite offering from New Belgium. What a great combination of floral hop presence and sessionably mild mouthfeel/bitterness. This is the beer to give to you boyfriend or girlfriend who "hates IPAs" to try and convert him or her to hopdom.

4.6/5  rDev +21.7%

bought a six pack of this the first time I saw it.
guess it's not marketed too much around here:

a: slightly less than hearty head to this honey colored brew: butr a good 1.5 fingers that settles down with not too much lacing.

slight on the nose but really good and tantalizing: I THINK it's a light frutiness mixed with malt just a bit too subtle to nail down.

t: MMM nice punch of hopiness right up front, which just slowly fades away.

m: a bit heavy on the carbonation, but in a way that seems to ENHANCE the really great flavor. no alcohol bite at all

d OUTSTANDING. Easily one of the best session beers I can find.

4.6/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

The wife and I went out to eat and as usual, the server asked for our drink order. I asked if they had Fat Tire and the response was yes. What she brought us was not Fat Tire, but Mighty Arrow. I found it to be quite good, better than the other pale ales and IPAs I have tried.

4.53/5  rDev +19.8%

A -Light reddish brown ale with a large foamy white head. Leaves good lacing down the glass as the head fades. Less than average visible carbonation, very appetizing look, a little pale.

S- Bittersweet hops, sugar cookie malts, citrus fruits; grapefuits mostly. Also florals from the different hops and the honey base promised on the bottle. Great smell, very sweet and delicate.

T- Ah,what a taste! The hops bitterness I was prepared for was never came, instead I received a much more subdued and accessible hops profile. Low bitterness (50ibu) and complimented with the sweet honey character. Flavor stays relatively modest. Pleasent, slightly bitter aftertaste. Very tasty, a fine pale ale and especially good for the hops challenged among us.

M- Very light and refreshing, medium carbonation but not spicy. Smooths out towards the finish.

D- Excellent drinkability, a truly sessionable beer in every sense of the word. Delicious, light, simple and straightforward.

4.53/5  rDev +19.8%

Had this on tap at the Phoenix Yard House and the review is scored for that. I liked it enough to buy a six pack when I got home and it had a grassy/piney note that I did not like nearly as well, and I do not remember being present in the draught version. Granted, I don't remember a lot of things from that trip...

4.53/5  rDev +19.8%

Transparent orange in color and head has good retention. Smell is fresh and hoppy with some grapfruit notes. Taste is rich and full with plenty of citrusy hops and finishes smooth with a touch of mellow malty sweetness. Medium-bodied, perfectly balanced and very refreshing. Each sip leaves me wanting more. I am very impressed with this offering from New Belgium. One of the best pale ales I've have to date.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful dark golden color, crystal clear, great head and lacing. Really just picture perfect.

GReat, layered hop aroma with just a little bit of malt. Lots of grapefruit.

Very hoppy, but nicely balanced with the malt.

Very crisp, drying, excellent carbonation.

GReat example of a west coast, hoppy pale ale. Highly recommended.

4.5/5  rDev +19%

(Served in a tulip glass)
A- This beer has a crystal clear orange body with a creamy off-white head that turns lumpy but last and last. There is a slow carbonation that pops off the base and glides to the surface.
S- The juicy green floral hops fill the nose and seem to get brighter as the beer opens up.
T- The soft biscuit malt flavor has a touch of sweetness to it with a mellow pungent green hop finish. The green hops linger after each sip and take on a green watermelon rind quality aswell.
M- This beer has a medium-full mouthfeel with a light crisp carbonation that boost the hops in the finish.
D- The biscuit malt is just enough that it is not offensive and supports the leader of this pack, which is all the bright fresh hops. It's big hops are nice but still it is very drinkable without staining your taste buds.

4.5/5  rDev +19%

New Belgium amazes me with how they are able to break their usual mold, yet keep their signature flavor... and still make an incredible beer!
Mighty Arrow has a bold hop character, which is sort of out of the ordinary for New Belgium. The One thing that I think of with this beer is... BALANCE. When I think of New Belgium, I think of that signature malt character, you know... that nutty, Fat-Tire-esque flavor. I love that flavor, and it is paired nicely with the bold hop profile mentioned above, to create a very balanced pale ale.
Definately worth buying.