Old Cherry - New Belgium Brewing

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 05-18-2008)
Reviews by beerad666:
3.95/5  rDev +13.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into an American Pint glass. It pours out a dark amber color with a small thin white head that quickly resides. The aroma is sweet, tart and malty. From the smell I almost feel like I might be about to drink a Jolly Rancher. I was happy to find out that the sweetness isn't over kill in the taste but it is incredibly sticky. The cherry tartness is very light and makes this very easy to drink. This is a beer that grows on you with each sip, worth picking up if you see it.

beerad666, Nov 13, 2009
2.9/5  rDev -16.9%

12 oz bottle, best by 10/31/08. Pours golden red with a fizzy white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is biscuity malts, some cherries and a little vegetables. Smells like Fat Tire with cherries.

The flavor is sweet cherries over biscuity malts with a little metallic note. The mouthfeel is medium with smooth carbonation.

Overall, seems a lot like a Fat Tire recipe with cherries added. I just had a Fat Tire and really don't like the biscuit notes which I see here as well. The cherries do make it somewhat better though. Having to buy a 12 pack to sample this is not cool.

Beaver13, Jul 26, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +24.1%

Poured into a pint glass.

I am usually not a fan of fruit-infused beers but I loved this one. Poured a copper color and was completely clear. Had a hint of cherries in the smell and also in the taste. While I tasted some cherries, what I really thought when I tasted it was cheesecake. I have no idea why I got a cheesecake flavor, but I did. A very drinkable beer that I wish I could buy a 6 or 12 pack of, instead of only being able to get it in the Folly Pack.

Mora2000, Jul 13, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +11.7%

Enjoyed on tap at the Rustic Oven. Pours into a pint glass with a golden copper red color and just a skim layer of head. The head doesn't stick around long but leaves a little lacing. Perfect clarity and very nice color.

Aroma is a combination of sweet and tart cherries. No hop aroma is detected.

Taste is sweet, sour, and tart. It's similar to a mild cherry juice with a touch of bitterness. Familiar biscuit malts from Fat Tire and 2 Below. Nice clean balanced flavor and not too sweet.

Mouthfeel is, again, clean and balanced with a good level of carbonation. Not too heavy or syrupy.

Drinkability is very good for the style.

GilGarp, Dec 16, 2008

kkrez, Nov 15, 2011
3.78/5  rDev +8.3%

Pours effervescent amber/orange with 2+ fingers of cream colored head. Good head retention & above average lacing

S: Brown sugar, a pinch of dirt & mushrooms

T: Brown sugar, a bit of dirt, some caramel & cherries up front. Vanilla, oaky dryness, some mushroom, & cherry tartness as this warms. Finishes with toffee, some butterscotch, honey, & cherry

Medium bodied, low carbonation, some chewyness

Drinks pretty good, the dryness would get to me after a while. But there's really good Belgian influence in play. More beer than fruit, I like this more than I thought I would...

russpowell, May 18, 2008
3.25/5  rDev -6.9%

hiphopj5, Jun 19, 2012
4.03/5  rDev +15.5%

A hefenwiezen cherry flavored beer that has a very good balanced hop with cherry taste. The taste is somewhat lacking compared to the smell of the brew. Not as much hops within the beer making it not as aggressive as some of the beers that New Belgium brews.

Tolnik, Oct 23, 2008
3.13/5  rDev -10.3%

A: Very nice a warm strawberry amber.. Nice white head, but dissipates quickly..

S: Bitter, some cherry in there, slightly medicinal. Slight scent of fresh cherry cider.

T: I was expecting a little more. Malty, with a fruit back, slightly tart. Very light, kind of water.. Not bad, but not great either.

M: Fairly carbonated, the tartness adds a little bit of pucker.

D: I could see how this might appeal to some of the masses... but it is just not doing it for me... Sorry, as much as I love this brewer, I don't think I will be purchasing this one again....

Beejay, May 04, 2009
3.28/5  rDev -6%

Appearance: A hazy orange-red body with a finger and a half of off-white head. Chunky lacing.

Aroma: Nicely malty with tart berry and other fruit notes. No distinct cherry to speak of.

Taste: Tart and slightly sour with subtle cherry notes in the aftertaste. You really have to look for the cherry flavor here. A lot maltier than I was expecting, but more dry than sweet. Overall, much like a lighter version of their Frambozen.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and somewhat chewy at times. Low carbonation and a dry finish.

Drinkability: Just about average; you can put down a few easily, but probably won't be chugging it all night.

Verdict: A nice enough malt-forward fruit beer. Certainly a much better attempt at a cherry themed beer than Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat, but nothing earth-shaking. If you like New Belgium's Frambozen, you should enjoy this as well.

BeanBone, Mar 10, 2009
3.73/5  rDev +6.9%

****Edit: All of the below is still accurate, but I let the last 1/4 glass warm to close to room temperature in my oppressively hot house right and that is when the cherry really seems to have blossomed.. My advice.. serve this at slightly above room temp and have a go at it.****

12 oz of the Folly mix pack ... This brew is the only reason I picked it up at the Coop... I have very fond memories of the NB Two Cherry. Poured into my New Belgium snifter.

Polished copper brew with a mild red overtone.. short lasting head and no lacing really to speak of.

Toasty/biscuity malts make up the bulk of the aroma.. Cherry essence is there.. but make you work to really pick it out... maybe will jump out more as it hits room temp... right now it is warmer than fridge temperature.. but I'm hoping... Honestly smells alot like Fat Tire.. but with a background.. very background fruity note.

Flavor mirrors the aroma perfectly .. but the fruitiness is slightly more pronounced.. but only slightly.. subtle fruitiness is cherry but I don't know I would be able to identify it as "cherry" unless the label tells me so. That said... it is actually "good" .. Toasted bread for sure with the very lightest spread of cherry jam.. I remember much more cherry essence in the "Two Cherry" but I still appreciate this one... has an earthy finish that is really hard to put my finger on.

As it warms.... it really starts to stick out that this is very much like a Fat Tire with some minor cherry in the midst of it all. I am not a New Belgium "hater" but I think it would have been better in a brew without so much pronounced toasty notes. I would like to see this in the Mothership or perhaps the Trippel.... they would need to still amp up the cherries a degree or two.. but again... I would still buy it periodically if it wasn't included with 9 other brews that I almost never buy.

JohnGalt1, Jun 21, 2008
3.53/5  rDev +1.1%

Picked up this beer in the Folly Pack tonight. Had a New Belgium craving and the Old Cherry looked quite attractive.

Pours out beautifully, an aura of red shines brightly accenting a deep amber body. Thin lacy head white in color.

The smell is extremely pleasant. Lots of bar cherries(mandicino?) pop out with a strong dense layer of sticky caramel/chocolate malt. Almost identical to the smell/taste of a chocolate covered cherry. Not quite as sweet though.

The taste is quite interesting. It has the nutty reminiscent maltiness of Fat Tire, while adding in cherry notes. Lots of nuttiness, with a slightly sugary and semi-sweet cherry flavor. The cherry flavor is lasts most predominantly only upfront and midway through on the palate. It fades near the end leaving a fruity malt bomb barrage on the palate. However the malt is definitely more predominant near the end.

The mouthfeel on this beer is extremely carbonated, and believe it or not actually quite sticky. This is my first one and my teeth have that dense plaque way too much sweets mentality. The drinkability is mid-way as it's 6.5% and it's semi-sweet.

An interesting offering from New Belgium. A solidly crafted beer with only slight flaws. It has that distinct New Belgium taste, and doesn't stray far from a lot of their offerings. I would at least give it a try.

HoustonTX, Jul 21, 2008
2.9/5  rDev -16.9%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into shaker pint glass.
A: Pours a fairly clear reddish brown with thin white head that quickly dissipates.
S: Malt with hint of cherry (not as much as I was anticipating).
T: Interesting mix of malt and cherry...more toward the cherry side than the aroma suggested. Fairly simple and straight-forward.
M: Light on the tongue and taste is quickly gone...not complex, but also not bad.
D: Very average...which for NBB is below average. Not one of my favorite offerings from them, but still glad I tried it. Less a fruit beer than a beer with fruit notes.

mwilbur, Aug 08, 2008
3.5/5  rDev +0.3%

Stoffel, Jan 06, 2012
4.1/5  rDev +17.5%

Poured a reddish copper with about 2 fingers of foam, which vanished quickly.

I didn't smell much besides a slight cherry aroma and malt, admittedly my sense of smell is lacking at this point in regards to reviewing beer.

I am not a big fan of fruit beers, and this one didn't have an overbearing cherry flavor which was a pleasant suprise. A little bit of sour cherry in the finish.

Very light tasting. I would be able to put back a few on a nice day.

mikejk305, Jun 21, 2008
2.78/5  rDev -20.3%

this brew smells like a regular amber beer with some cherry mixed in. it pours up a deep red orange color with a small white head. nothing crazy. tastes just like it smells. a regular amber lager with subtle malt tones with cherries added in. i guess this beer would be good for the general public but not for someone that has ever had Ommegang's Three Philosophers.

stumac, Aug 14, 2008
4.03/5  rDev +15.5%

Neat, found this in a 12pack sampler. I totally dig the 1554 and the FT/Wit are decent. This one sealed the sale though.

Fruit beers suffer from the terrible malady of "BA Syndrome" as i've discussed before, where they just get bum ratings because of their style. I've explained it in more detail in my reviews of other fruit, lagers, pilsners, etc.

Anyway. I intend to review this based on its style, not how it compares to an IIPA or Impy stout.

Pours a cool strawberry pinkish tan into a pilsner glass (okay, i just finished a prima pils, i know its not 'technically' the ideal glassware). Little head.

Aroma is malt and NB's propietary yeast, with just a hint of sweetness coming from the cherries. I totally dig the subtle cherry presence.

Dry and a tart white wine taste at first. The cherry sweetness drops in to say hello, but like the aroma is mild and only accompanies the light pilsner/wheat flavors, it doesnt take over.

Aside from a wierd lingering skuzzy aftertaste, this ones a good drinker and was the first to be finished of my NB 12 pack. It'll be a nice treat if i see this again next summer.

SurlyDuff, Aug 02, 2008
3.65/5  rDev +4.6%

In a Folly pack.

Pour is light brown with red hue. Nice tan head that dissipates slowly.

I'll preface with the fact I do not believe in fruit beers in general. This did a nice job of integrating fruit in to the beer.

Entry is smooth, nice malt with a sour cherry hint, a bit of cinnamon - cherry pie. Not so much that you forget this a beer - decent malt backbone, just enough hop bittering to cleanse the palate. A fairly rich malt flavor keeps getting bit by the cherry flavor - hence my comment on integration of fruit in the beer.

Nice job - for a fruit beer.

sweethome, Jul 18, 2008
3.23/5  rDev -7.4%

Thanks to russpowell for this one!

Best by 19 Sep 08:

Pours reddish copper. A white head descends to a thin, lasting cover.

Smells rather musty (like a wet cat) at first. This, thankfully, moves aside, but leaves little else. There's some caramelish maltiness and some fruitiness - I don't know if I would have even necessarily identified cherry if I didn't know any better.

The taste picks up from the nose, though only to the point of "average-to-above-average" at best. Sweet and tart, but not in a meshing way that would leave a "sweettart" impression. Some cherry juice does bring back memories of eating cherry ice cream as a child. Finishes tart-ish.

Smooth, light-to-medium bodied. Leaves a cherry lozenge feel in the mouth after mid-way through.

Don't like the smell, and overall, it does gain "cherry" momentum. It does have a tart character - this is better than many American fruit beers, but it does reference "Belgian" on the label. Don't know about, unless you want to include the initial mustiness - but that seemed "off" here, and the lack of "artificial" fruitiness. Well, it takes more than that, IMO. "Interesting", but not something I would seek out. Still, glad to have tried it - Thanks Russ!

jwc215, Aug 08, 2008
3.45/5  rDev -1.1%

Dark amber beer..with reddish tints, tiny off white head..dissapears fast,leaving goodish lace. Very malty aromas,..some doughy funkiness wafts up now and again Malty taste ..semi-sweet followed by sweet ( not very tart) cherry...then a taste of cherry pip in the after taste. The palate is Ok..gets a bit sticky after a while though. A strangebeer..i suppose i kinda liked it..but its not great.

Reidrover, Sep 13, 2008
3.35/5  rDev -4%

Copper orange with an off-white head, light hints of pink, and below average lacing. Aroma is bready with a very light cherry note. Taste is slightly tart, very light cherry flavor, with some toasty, bready grainy flavor. Kind of like Fat Tire with a little bit of cherry mixed in. Decent mouthfeel, lots of crisp carbonation. An average fruit beer and nothing special at all.

KeefD, Dec 03, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +24.1%

Clear and copper in color with a slight reddish hue. Sweet in smell with a definate cherry essence with slight sour or lemon odor. The first taste is the tartness that lingers a bit. The first thought is fruit beer, but the sour throws you for a nice little loop de loop. Refreshing in taste. Get a little spice at the end. Highly drinkable. Or actually, I should answer that after we kill the growler. I appreciate that NBB brought it back. The last time I had Old Cherry Ale was in 1997.

jyeast101, May 24, 2008
3.53/5  rDev +1.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a shaker pint glass. Not much in the way of a head, though there is some spots of lace. Color is a hazy amber with a reddish tint.

Smell is a tart cherry with a dry yeast twang. Taste is pretty tart, and I like it that it's not overly sweet and syrupy. Added tartness from New Belgium's house yeast.

Mild medium body with a crisp and dry after-taste. I guess this is NB's take on the Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. And to be honest, it's much better.
Blipped Cherry Bomb by L7

bort11, Feb 16, 2009
3.8/5  rDev +8.9%

Moderate pour into a New Belgium goblet yields a two-finger off-white quickly-fading head over a clear reddish amber body. Not much lacing. Pretty enough, but not that pretty.

Smell is cracker malt, warm bread dough, and a voluble note of sour cherry. Smell is not very pronounced, but very nice.

Taste follows the smell to a "T," with a slight floral hop finish.

Mouthfeel is okay -- wish it were a bit thicker to spread that nice mildly-sour cherry flavor around. Soft carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. This beer is sneaky -- I would have thought it was 4.5% rather than 6.5%.

Overall, not great, but solid and good. I wish that NB sold it separately from the Folly Pack.

ColoradoBobs, Oct 10, 2008
3.05/5  rDev -12.6%

Poured into a pint glass from a bottle.

A - The beer pours a medium copper, forming a thin 1/2 inch head with very light lacing.

S - Strong malt presence along with a good but not overpowering amount of cherry aroma.

T - Sweet malts up front, with the cherry flavor coming through more in the finish. Simple.

M - Good carbonation and smooth finish.

D - OK flavor and decent alcohol level could make this a sessionable beer. However, IMO, there just wasnt anything that really stood out about this beer. Maybe I missed the whole point of this beer, but I wasnt too impressed.

beeragent, Sep 30, 2008