Old Cherry - New Belgium Brewing

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 05-18-2008)
benito

Oregon

4.63/5  rDev +32.7%

Released in Spring 2008 as part of the Folly Pack. New Belgium describes Old Cherry as a Belgian amber ale with cherries from Washington state.

A: Dark amber with a light head and moderate carbonation.

S: Light cherry with lots of spice--maybe clove and ginger, maybe a little cinnamon.

T: Easily one of the most well balanced fruit beers I've ever had. Cherry tartness on the front and middle of the tongue mixed with a light spiciness and a hint of chocolate. Finishes with a light bitterness, either from minor hopping or maybe the cherries. Lingering tartness.

M: A little slick, and it could have some more spritz, but this is a nice-medium bodied brew with good length and light warming in the finish.

D: This is neither your extreme fruit beer (a la DFH or New Glarus or Founders) nor your mindless-summer-fruit-beer. Refreshing but with just a touch of heft. New complexity in each sip.

This is a great fruit beer; I hope New Belgium will consider making this a full-time offering. Not that 1554, Mothership Wit, and Fat Tire are anything to poo-poo, but Old Cherry justifies the purchase of a Folly Pack on its own.

05-18-2008 00:48:22 | More by benito
HardTarget

4.58/5  rDev +31.2%

Standard information rich label: 6.5%, 45 F, goblet, 28NOV08.

A) Hazy brown glass holds its solid head of tan that laces in thick tidemarks.

S) Leathery brown ale with a cherry flesh twist.

T) Cherry pie filling, cherry flesh, REAL cherries fresh picked and juicy, all on a solid sugary brown ale base. Some mild malt flavor come in, no real hops noted.

M) Low carbonation encourages long pulls, medium heavy body leaves a lasting impression.

O) Nice stuff! Hate to see it's a one off. Solid use of cherry that comes through as natural and fresh. Really well done.

01-16-2009 05:32:05 | More by HardTarget
Mora2000

4.33/5  rDev +24.1%

Poured into a pint glass.

I am usually not a fan of fruit-infused beers but I loved this one. Poured a copper color and was completely clear. Had a hint of cherries in the smell and also in the taste. While I tasted some cherries, what I really thought when I tasted it was cheesecake. I have no idea why I got a cheesecake flavor, but I did. A very drinkable beer that I wish I could buy a 6 or 12 pack of, instead of only being able to get it in the Folly Pack.

07-13-2008 21:41:26 | More by Mora2000
jyeast101

4.33/5  rDev +24.1%

Clear and copper in color with a slight reddish hue. Sweet in smell with a definate cherry essence with slight sour or lemon odor. The first taste is the tartness that lingers a bit. The first thought is fruit beer, but the sour throws you for a nice little loop de loop. Refreshing in taste. Get a little spice at the end. Highly drinkable. Or actually, I should answer that after we kill the growler. I appreciate that NBB brought it back. The last time I had Old Cherry Ale was in 1997.

05-24-2008 00:15:13 | More by jyeast101
NatetheGreat

Nevada

4.25/5  rDev +21.8%

A: reddish-brown, clear, with steady carbonation. Maybe just my eyes, but head appeared slightly pinkish hued. Inviting appearance.

S: cherry and malts hit right away. Some earthy hop spice also. Malts are dark, sweet smelling.

T: Similar to Fat Tire, but deeper and richer with definate cherry flavor in harmony with malt sweetness, which is somewhat toasty but mainly like dark sweet bread. Soft hops keep the beer balanced (like with Fat Tire).

M: smooth, not as think as Fat Tire (sorry for all the comparisons with FT, but this is give or take the same beer with cherry). Carbonation is just right.

D: very tasy, want to drink them up quickly. Alcohol does hold its weight making drinking these down quick harder for me to do.

Several reviewers have commented that the cherry quality seems very faint, but I had the opposite impression and got a lot of cherry in both the nose and taste. Mighty good stuff.

08-12-2008 21:58:01 | More by NatetheGreat
mikejk305

4.1/5  rDev +17.5%

Poured a reddish copper with about 2 fingers of foam, which vanished quickly.

I didn't smell much besides a slight cherry aroma and malt, admittedly my sense of smell is lacking at this point in regards to reviewing beer.

I am not a big fan of fruit beers, and this one didn't have an overbearing cherry flavor which was a pleasant suprise. A little bit of sour cherry in the finish.

Very light tasting. I would be able to put back a few on a nice day.

06-21-2008 05:01:51 | More by mikejk305
EnojysAnyBeer

4.08/5  rDev +16.9%

Good cherry drink, really masks the ABV well.

A- Transparent copper/red apple color. Little head with little lace. Many carbonation bubbles

S- Smell is of wheat bread and cherries

T- Tastes a bit like wine, but good bready malt characteristic.

M- Feel is medium-light with plenty of carbonation

D- Drinks very well for the slightly elevated ABV. Good at suggested temp. of 45 Fahrenheit.

11-19-2008 03:18:00 | More by EnojysAnyBeer
Tolnik

4.03/5  rDev +15.5%

A hefenwiezen cherry flavored beer that has a very good balanced hop with cherry taste. The taste is somewhat lacking compared to the smell of the brew. Not as much hops within the beer making it not as aggressive as some of the beers that New Belgium brews.

10-23-2008 01:21:54 | More by Tolnik
SurlyDuff

Oregon

4.03/5  rDev +15.5%

Neat, found this in a 12pack sampler. I totally dig the 1554 and the FT/Wit are decent. This one sealed the sale though.

Fruit beers suffer from the terrible malady of "BA Syndrome" as i've discussed before, where they just get bum ratings because of their style. I've explained it in more detail in my reviews of other fruit, lagers, pilsners, etc.

Anyway. I intend to review this based on its style, not how it compares to an IIPA or Impy stout.

Pours a cool strawberry pinkish tan into a pilsner glass (okay, i just finished a prima pils, i know its not 'technically' the ideal glassware). Little head.

Aroma is malt and NB's propietary yeast, with just a hint of sweetness coming from the cherries. I totally dig the subtle cherry presence.

Dry and a tart white wine taste at first. The cherry sweetness drops in to say hello, but like the aroma is mild and only accompanies the light pilsner/wheat flavors, it doesnt take over.

Aside from a wierd lingering skuzzy aftertaste, this ones a good drinker and was the first to be finished of my NB 12 pack. It'll be a nice treat if i see this again next summer.

08-02-2008 01:19:56 | More by SurlyDuff
Vancer

Yepper, part of the Folly Pack. Best before Oct 31 08 and packing a sturdy 6.5%

Full pour of amber/copper with a firm ivory head in the ol' Sammy Adams freebie glass. Lookin' good so far. Lots of sheeting lace as I progress down the glass.

Aroma was more amber ale doughy (Fat Tire), and the cherry more subdued than expected. But the tastes work well in the quaff, a fine pop of cherry that's not to sweet or tart. Very well balanced, and one of the better cherry brews I've encountered.

Still can't believe the 6.5%, wasn't noticeable at all.

08-13-2008 00:15:07 | More by Vancer
kkrez

11-15-2011 15:38:52 | More by kkrez
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

3.98/5  rDev +14%

Poured into New Belgium Globe Glass. I couldn't determine the best before date, but it was fresh.

Color is very nice looking. It was an apricot red. Pours a thin head, but leaves some good lace rings.

The smell is of a 'high quality' cigar with the obvious note of cherry. Taste is very sweet and tart. It has the obvious cheery flavor to it, but it is not to strong. There are also some bready malts present.

Mouthfeel is very tarty, but gets smooth. The alcohol rate being 6.5% isn't even noticable. Carbonation level is low, but suits the beer well.

Overall, my first sip of this beer was a letdown, but as I continued to drink it, the flavor grew on me. I'd really recommend this beer even if you don't like cherries.

01-12-2009 03:09:27 | More by mothman
coldmeat23

Oklahoma

GLASS: Chimay Goblet
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees

Clear amber liquid with a definite red tint. Slightly pinkish head, which is small and goes away quickly. Minimal lacing.

Definite fresh cherry smell, though not overpowering. Sweet malts behind it. Uncooked bread dough.

Light sweet malt taste is out front. Nice light cherry follows. I hoped that the cherry flavor would be more pronounced. This is very mild.

Mouthfeel is good. Crisp, yet somehow a little creamy, at the same time. Interesting.

Very good and easily drinkable. I'd want more of it if the cherry flavor were more dominant.

10-07-2008 19:02:49 | More by coldmeat23
sleazo

3.98/5  rDev +14%

A_Pours a clear reddish amber with a tan small head. This fades rather quickly to a whispy head.

S_Rich bready malt with a hint of sweet cherries.

T_A nice bready malted brew with a big yeast profile. A mild hit of cherries hit at the end. They compliment the beer very well and are in no way overpowering. All in all mostly on the sweet side but pleasant overall.

M_A bit chewy and nicely carbonated.

D_A pretty good beer, similar to Fat Tire with Cherries. Not a big fan of Fat Tire but I dig this.

09-06-2008 23:04:31 | More by sleazo
beerad666

3.95/5  rDev +13.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into an American Pint glass. It pours out a dark amber color with a small thin white head that quickly resides. The aroma is sweet, tart and malty. From the smell I almost feel like I might be about to drink a Jolly Rancher. I was happy to find out that the sweetness isn't over kill in the taste but it is incredibly sticky. The cherry tartness is very light and makes this very easy to drink. This is a beer that grows on you with each sip, worth picking up if you see it.

11-13-2009 03:19:27 | More by beerad666
searsclone

Arizona

3.95/5  rDev +13.2%

poured from a bottle into a pint glass. very bubbly, copper color, nice off white head with decent lacing.

immediately after the pour, I could smell what resembled a chocolate covered cherry, after my first drink, and the head died down, I could not pick up any smell at all. weird.

taste is also similar to a chocolate covered cherry, only much better because it's beer! I pick up a little bit of a smokey after taste.

mouthfeel is light and watery, but it seems to leave a creamy coating on the tongue.

I am usually not a big fan of fruit beers, but I find this to be highly drinkable, much better than most of the other fruit infused beers that I have tried.

I am glad that I tried this, and if I can find it in package by itself, I will pick it up again. As far as I can tell, it is only available in the 'folly' 12 pack...

08-22-2008 23:29:28 | More by searsclone
allengarvin

3.93/5  rDev +12.6%

Part of the folly pack, poured into a 12-mug. Very nice reddish walnut color, with fine bubbles but the head faded very quickly. Pleasant aroma with cherries present, but not too dominant. There's a solid malt backbone as well. Good taste, with some sweet light caramel malt, and cherries making a very light appearance in the middle, adding a little tartness in the finish. The cherry presence is quite light.

Tasty beer, but it could use more cherriness. If you don't look for it, it could easily be missed. I picked up some rainier cherries at the grocery store when I snagged this, so I'll be having a real cherry experience later.

05-24-2008 01:47:53 | More by allengarvin
GilGarp

3.9/5  rDev +11.7%

Enjoyed on tap at the Rustic Oven. Pours into a pint glass with a golden copper red color and just a skim layer of head. The head doesn't stick around long but leaves a little lacing. Perfect clarity and very nice color.

Aroma is a combination of sweet and tart cherries. No hop aroma is detected.

Taste is sweet, sour, and tart. It's similar to a mild cherry juice with a touch of bitterness. Familiar biscuit malts from Fat Tire and 2 Below. Nice clean balanced flavor and not too sweet.

Mouthfeel is, again, clean and balanced with a good level of carbonation. Not too heavy or syrupy.

Drinkability is very good for the style.

12-16-2008 23:53:56 | More by GilGarp
WaveRebel51

Nebraska

3.88/5  rDev +11.2%

Pretty decent and drinkable beer. The cherry flavor is natural and very subdued, not sweet and syrupy and not overly tart, which to me, set it apart from Quelque Chose and Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. I drank all three in one sitting and didn't get the lingering cherry-aftertaste (which sometimes happens with the two other brews I mentioned).

Worth a try if you don't mind picking up the Folly Pack.

07-09-2008 16:23:48 | More by WaveRebel51
BradLikesBrew

Missouri

3.85/5  rDev +10.3%

a: mahogany body, thin head, wispy lacing.

s: sweet cherries and light malt.

t: sweet ripe cherry wraps itself around toasted barley. tartness is low, as is the hop profile.

m: medium body.

d: an enjoyable fruit beer. more robust and flavorful than the SA cherry wheat. not overly sweet. tasty and satisfying.

07-12-2008 20:57:03 | More by BradLikesBrew
ColoradoBobs

3.8/5  rDev +8.9%

Moderate pour into a New Belgium goblet yields a two-finger off-white quickly-fading head over a clear reddish amber body. Not much lacing. Pretty enough, but not that pretty.

Smell is cracker malt, warm bread dough, and a voluble note of sour cherry. Smell is not very pronounced, but very nice.

Taste follows the smell to a "T," with a slight floral hop finish.

Mouthfeel is okay -- wish it were a bit thicker to spread that nice mildly-sour cherry flavor around. Soft carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. This beer is sneaky -- I would have thought it was 4.5% rather than 6.5%.

Overall, not great, but solid and good. I wish that NB sold it separately from the Folly Pack.

10-10-2008 04:40:57 | More by ColoradoBobs
pokesbeerdude

3.8/5  rDev +8.9%

picked up the last folly pack at liquor depot in rock springs with this in it, and i was excited to say the least.

A: poured a nice reddish brown color, lots of read highlights in it, crystal clear, quite bubbly, with an off white head that billowed up to about half an inch and reduced to nothing. not much lacing.

S: there is a definite maltiness to this beer, its really present in the smell. the cherry smell lingers much further back but is still present. i get other sour fruit smells too. very interesting. definitely alcohol too.

T: the malt flavors and roasted characteristics really hit first. biscuity, similar to fat tire with cherry flavoring. ish. not exactly it. but kinda close. the cherry is tart and pops at the back. i'm really likin this for a style of beer i try to avoid. does seem a tad watered down

M: thin. very thin. and not quite what i expected. but still crisp and refreshing. not too bad really.

D: meh, one or two max. not a bad beer at all, but not one of my favorite styles to begin with. all in all a tasty beer, but i'm glad it isn't around full time on the NB lineup.

08-22-2008 02:57:51 | More by pokesbeerdude
russpowell

Oklahoma

3.78/5  rDev +8.3%

Pours effervescent amber/orange with 2+ fingers of cream colored head. Good head retention & above average lacing

S: Brown sugar, a pinch of dirt & mushrooms

T: Brown sugar, a bit of dirt, some caramel & cherries up front. Vanilla, oaky dryness, some mushroom, & cherry tartness as this warms. Finishes with toffee, some butterscotch, honey, & cherry

Medium bodied, low carbonation, some chewyness

Drinks pretty good, the dryness would get to me after a while. But there's really good Belgian influence in play. More beer than fruit, I like this more than I thought I would...

05-18-2008 03:59:44 | More by russpowell
zeff80

Missouri

3.78/5  rDev +8.3%

A - Poured out a clear copper color with a tan, foamy, small head. It left some rings of lace.

S - It smelled of cherry. It also had a malt and grassy aroma.

T - It tasted of sweet cherry with a hint of roasted malt. The cherry flavor was fairly strong but not overpowering.

M - It was crisp and fairly sharp. A light to medium-bodied beer.

D - This is a pretty good beer. One of the better fruit or cherry beers that I've had.

07-12-2008 19:24:10 | More by zeff80
kemoarps

Washington

3.75/5  rDev +7.4%

I was curious about this one, and my friend got the folly pack, and I decided to give it a shot.

appearance: It poured a distinct ruby red with a decent head that, despite what I have heard from other reviewers, had a reasonable life.

smell: The aroma was distinctly that of cherries, it made me think of cherry pits in particular for some reason. not really sure why. maybe the combination of definitive cherry smell and kind of a malty hint. didn't jump out at me THAT much.

taste: I was a little hesitant going in, as I'm not typically a HUGE fan of flavoured drinks in general, but I found this to be quite enjoyable. The cherry flavour carried over from the aroma, and tempted the tastebuds without overwhelming them or drowning out the malty caramel that lay behind it.

mouthfeel: mouthfeel was decent, the carbonation danced across the palate, felt... spritzy is the only way I can think of to describe it.

drinkability: As I said, I'm not typicallly a big fan of fruit beers etc, but this was an enjoyable brew. sessionable, though I was a little surprised when I read it's ABV to be 6.5%; it doesn't feel like it. overall, quite drinkable, though the obvious cherry flavour would need to be something you knew you were getting yourself into, as it could get repetitive.

all in all, I would say that I am, once again, impressed with New Belgium. They have consistently produced very tasty beers, in my opinion, and this one is worth at least trying, if only to judge for yourself.

09-13-2008 23:08:15 | More by kemoarps