Old Cherry - New Belgium Brewing

Colorado, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 05-18-2008

3.46/5  rDev -0.9%

Appearance: Pours a hazy amber color with a rusty aspect; the frothy head delivers a nice pattern of lace

Smell: There is a fruity character to the aroma, but it is faint and undistinct

Taste: Opens with a bready malt flavor that adds a fruit and powdered chocolate element by mid-palate; the cherry flavor is indistinct, as there is some melon and lychee in there, too; just a hint of tartness, as well; after the swallow, the flavors break down somewhat and lack definition

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Pleasant to drink but undistinctive; I was expecting more, when I read the label

3.38/5  rDev -3.2%

I know this beer is listed as retired. I asked the name and confirmed it while at the brewery last week.

A: single finger head with no lace, reddish amber with gold hues.

S: sour cherry and bread notes. Not too much here.

T: wheat and bread up front with a semisweet cherry finish. Very drinkable and refreshing.

M: moderate carbonation and light to medium body.

Overall: excellent cherry flavored wheatlike beer as oppose to what I think of as a fruit beer.

3.75/5  rDev +7.4%

A - Poured out a clear copper color with a tan, foamy, small head. It left some rings of lace.

S - It smelled of cherry. It also had a malt and grassy aroma.

T - It tasted of sweet cherry with a hint of roasted malt. The cherry flavor was fairly strong but not overpowering.

M - It was crisp and fairly sharp. A light to medium-bodied beer.

D - This is a pretty good beer. One of the better fruit or cherry beers that I've had.

3.53/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a gazed orange hurd brown with a thin creme head. Nose is like a smoked cherry juice. Flavor is interesting in an odd way. Tastes like a standard cherry flavor on a bunch of wet wood and leaves. Seems almost soggy. Unusual earth tones. Feel is standard on liquid and carbonation. This is easy to drink but a pretty "okay" fruit beer. Been a while since I've tried something from New Belgium, so it's good to have the chance.

3.75/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours effervescent amber/orange with 2+ fingers of cream colored head. Good head retention & above average lacing

S: Brown sugar, a pinch of dirt & mushrooms

T: Brown sugar, a bit of dirt, some caramel & cherries up front. Vanilla, oaky dryness, some mushroom, & cherry tartness as this warms. Finishes with toffee, some butterscotch, honey, & cherry

Medium bodied, low carbonation, some chewyness

Drinks pretty good, the dryness would get to me after a while. But there's really good Belgian influence in play. More beer than fruit, I like this more than I thought I would...

3.19/5  rDev -8.6%

Thanks to russpowell for this one!

Best by 19 Sep 08:

Pours reddish copper. A white head descends to a thin, lasting cover.

Smells rather musty (like a wet cat) at first. This, thankfully, moves aside, but leaves little else. There's some caramelish maltiness and some fruitiness - I don't know if I would have even necessarily identified cherry if I didn't know any better.

The taste picks up from the nose, though only to the point of "average-to-above-average" at best. Sweet and tart, but not in a meshing way that would leave a "sweettart" impression. Some cherry juice does bring back memories of eating cherry ice cream as a child. Finishes tart-ish.

Smooth, light-to-medium bodied. Leaves a cherry lozenge feel in the mouth after mid-way through.

Don't like the smell, and overall, it does gain "cherry" momentum. It does have a tart character - this is better than many American fruit beers, but it does reference "Belgian" on the label. Don't know about, unless you want to include the initial mustiness - but that seemed "off" here, and the lack of "artificial" fruitiness. Well, it takes more than that, IMO. "Interesting", but not something I would seek out. Still, glad to have tried it - Thanks Russ!

4.32/5  rDev +23.8%

Poured into a pint glass.

I am usually not a fan of fruit-infused beers but I loved this one. Poured a copper color and was completely clear. Had a hint of cherries in the smell and also in the taste. While I tasted some cherries, what I really thought when I tasted it was cheesecake. I have no idea why I got a cheesecake flavor, but I did. A very drinkable beer that I wish I could buy a 6 or 12 pack of, instead of only being able to get it in the Folly Pack.

3.26/5  rDev -6.6%

Best By Date September 2008; Sampled May 2008
Pours into my 25cl tulip glass with a frothy, initially three finger thick, dirty tan colored head. The beer is a brilliantly clear red stained, dark caramel color, but shows a deeply red stained, copper color when held up to the light. The aroma has a malt character that seems distinctive of victory malt and is of course backed up by a light berry / cherry aroma. The cherry is not quite as over-the top as I was expecting and I like its soft influence here.

Quite dry tasting up front with a light tartness that accents a tart fruitiness. The cherry notes are again quite subtle in the flavor. The body has a light-medium heft to it that almost seems influenced by cherry pulp and cherry-skin tannins. More malt focused than anything the flavor has notes of biscuits, caramel, brown sugar and a distinct, whole-grain, cracker note in the finish. The bitterness is fairly light here, but does come out just a touch in the finish as well. Despite not tasting distinctly of cherries there is a solid fruit character here that is a mix of ripe melon, currants, blackberry and some light, though washed out, cherry.

An interesting beer, I remember the two-cherry being a bit more cherry like. In a blind tasting I bet many would not even realize that cherries were used in the making of this beer (myself likely included). The major flaw in the recipe is likely that they used a fairly bland cherry in too small of quantities. A nice beer, but doesn't quite hit the levels needed for a cherry fruit beer; I would love for New Belgium to do a cherry version of La Folie, ISO please.

Purchased: Plaza Liquors, Tucson AZ

3.98/5  rDev +14%

Poured into New Belgium Globe Glass. I couldn't determine the best before date, but it was fresh.

Color is very nice looking. It was an apricot red. Pours a thin head, but leaves some good lace rings.

The smell is of a 'high quality' cigar with the obvious note of cherry. Taste is very sweet and tart. It has the obvious cheery flavor to it, but it is not to strong. There are also some bready malts present.

Mouthfeel is very tarty, but gets smooth. The alcohol rate being 6.5% isn't even noticable. Carbonation level is low, but suits the beer well.

Overall, my first sip of this beer was a letdown, but as I continued to drink it, the flavor grew on me. I'd really recommend this beer even if you don't like cherries.

3.53/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks goes out to pokesbeerdude for this one.

Pours a nice clean/clear golden orange/amber color, nice carbonation, nice one-finger creamy white head, which leaves some nice sticky lacing behind. The nose is malty, slightly soury, caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, slight sourness, with some caramel. Medium body. Drinkable, not a bad brew, tasty.

3.7/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

****Edit: All of the below is still accurate, but I let the last 1/4 glass warm to close to room temperature in my oppressively hot house right and that is when the cherry really seems to have blossomed.. My advice.. serve this at slightly above room temp and have a go at it.****

12 oz of the Folly mix pack ... This brew is the only reason I picked it up at the Coop... I have very fond memories of the NB Two Cherry. Poured into my New Belgium snifter.

Polished copper brew with a mild red overtone.. short lasting head and no lacing really to speak of.

Toasty/biscuity malts make up the bulk of the aroma.. Cherry essence is there.. but make you work to really pick it out... maybe will jump out more as it hits room temp... right now it is warmer than fridge temperature.. but I'm hoping... Honestly smells alot like Fat Tire.. but with a background.. very background fruity note.

Flavor mirrors the aroma perfectly .. but the fruitiness is slightly more pronounced.. but only slightly.. subtle fruitiness is cherry but I don't know I would be able to identify it as "cherry" unless the label tells me so. That said... it is actually "good" .. Toasted bread for sure with the very lightest spread of cherry jam.. I remember much more cherry essence in the "Two Cherry" but I still appreciate this one... has an earthy finish that is really hard to put my finger on.

As it warms.... it really starts to stick out that this is very much like a Fat Tire with some minor cherry in the midst of it all. I am not a New Belgium "hater" but I think it would have been better in a brew without so much pronounced toasty notes. I would like to see this in the Mothership or perhaps the Trippel.... they would need to still amp up the cherries a degree or two.. but again... I would still buy it periodically if it wasn't included with 9 other brews that I almost never buy.

2.85/5  rDev -18.3%

I got 2 bottles of it in the NB Folly Pack.

It pours a clear copper colour with a small and very quickly disappearing head of foam. Pretty much no lacing as well.

The smell doesn't have a lot going on. Some bready notes with a slight cherry note.

The taste is the same as the nose. Definitely bready with, what I think, is a very weak cherry tartness presence. I mean, cherry is in the name! ;^)

Mouthfeel is light, no, thin, and it's fairly lightly carbonated. Hmmm...not much of anything is going on here on any counts. Very dull, very boring, and to boot, I'm getting a slight buzz from the abv. That's not what I'm looking for. This one is very disappointing and I won't seek it out again. Not even for trading purposes. Sorry.

2.24/5  rDev -35.8%

I picked up the New Belgium mixed twelve pack just to try this beer. I finally broke down and bought it!!!

Pour a clear clarity amber with a very quick film of foam to nothing. Very good bubbling though. Just a hint of Langer's cherry juice and toasted bread that quickly turns to some adjuncty/funky non-goodness of an aroma. Not very cherry-like or fruity at all. The taste is just as disapointing. Starts with cherries, some other tart fruits, then in a flash, quickly moves to stale bread. Not a very flavorful or fruity tasting beer by any means. Was much less than I expected from a beer they don't even bottle individually! I was pretty disappointed with this beer.

3.15/5  rDev -9.7%

Another brew via the man known only as Sea Bass.

A: Pours a light golden hue with light tones of amber. It barely managed to build a head and the retention was nil. No lace.

S: Very light aroma. Hints of grainy bready malt with a touch of sugar. You can pick up a very light note of cherry if you really swirl and inhale real deep.

T: Light in flavor overall. Light bready malt up front with a bit of sweetness. There is an almost wheat like quality to this one. Light notes of black cherry skins can be detected.

M: Light and bubbly, almost champagne like.

D: Not bad, not the best offering by these guys but it is unique.

3.45/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Dark amber beer..with reddish tints, tiny off white head..dissapears fast,leaving goodish lace. Very malty aromas,..some doughy funkiness wafts up now and again Malty taste ..semi-sweet followed by sweet ( not very tart) cherry...then a taste of cherry pip in the after taste. The palate is Ok..gets a bit sticky after a while though. A strangebeer..i suppose i kinda liked it..but its not great.

4.01/5  rDev +14.9%

Yepper, part of the Folly Pack. Best before Oct 31 08 and packing a sturdy 6.5%

Full pour of amber/copper with a firm ivory head in the ol' Sammy Adams freebie glass. Lookin' good so far. Lots of sheeting lace as I progress down the glass.

Aroma was more amber ale doughy (Fat Tire), and the cherry more subdued than expected. But the tastes work well in the quaff, a fine pop of cherry that's not to sweet or tart. Very well balanced, and one of the better cherry brews I've encountered.

Still can't believe the 6.5%, wasn't noticeable at all.

3.58/5  rDev +2.6%

A - reddish amber with a nice looking head
S - a smells like bread with a hint of gingerbread and some cherry cough syrup
T - tastes of sweet malts with gingerbread/cookie qualities. There is also a hint of cherry in the taste, but it is not overpowering or syrupy. Not bad.
M - a bit thin and watery, a good bit of carbonation
D - pretty good drinkability. This is an interesting take on an ale. The cherry adds a fun complexity to the taste. I remember this being better on tap when I sampled it at the brewery, but it is still pretty good out of the bottle.

3.92/5  rDev +12.3%

Part of the folly pack, poured into a 12-mug. Very nice reddish walnut color, with fine bubbles but the head faded very quickly. Pleasant aroma with cherries present, but not too dominant. There's a solid malt backbone as well. Good taste, with some sweet light caramel malt, and cherries making a very light appearance in the middle, adding a little tartness in the finish. The cherry presence is quite light.

Tasty beer, but it could use more cherriness. If you don't look for it, it could easily be missed. I picked up some rainier cherries at the grocery store when I snagged this, so I'll be having a real cherry experience later.

3.03/5  rDev -13.2%

This review is taken from some old notes. Seeing this one on the shelf, I was pretty excited to try it (especially after hearing so much about this brewery over the years). After purchasing and tasting the bottle, I was not quite disappointed, but a little bit let down. Somewhat tart, decent cherry, a little brown sugar and a light vanilla flavor. Again, decent, but not much more.

2.87/5  rDev -17.8%

12 oz bottle, best by 10/31/08. Pours golden red with a fizzy white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is biscuity malts, some cherries and a little vegetables. Smells like Fat Tire with cherries.

The flavor is sweet cherries over biscuity malts with a little metallic note. The mouthfeel is medium with smooth carbonation.

Overall, seems a lot like a Fat Tire recipe with cherries added. I just had a Fat Tire and really don't like the biscuit notes which I see here as well. The cherries do make it somewhat better though. Having to buy a 12 pack to sample this is not cool.

3.5/5  rDev +0.3%

A - Poured a ruby copper color with a white head that leaves lacing

S - Is of dark cherries and thats about it

T - The dark cherry flavor is all thats going on here really but its got a good taste to it

M - This beer has a light body with light carbonation to it

D - Fruit beers aren't my favorite style but this was one that was done pretty well the fruit flavors aren't overly strong and offensive worth a try

4.53/5  rDev +29.8%

Standard information rich label: 6.5%, 45 F, goblet, 28NOV08.

A) Hazy brown glass holds its solid head of tan that laces in thick tidemarks.

S) Leathery brown ale with a cherry flesh twist.

T) Cherry pie filling, cherry flesh, REAL cherries fresh picked and juicy, all on a solid sugary brown ale base. Some mild malt flavor come in, no real hops noted.

M) Low carbonation encourages long pulls, medium heavy body leaves a lasting impression.

O) Nice stuff! Hate to see it's a one off. Solid use of cherry that comes through as natural and fresh. Really well done.

3.88/5  rDev +11.2%

Enjoyed on tap at the Rustic Oven. Pours into a pint glass with a golden copper red color and just a skim layer of head. The head doesn't stick around long but leaves a little lacing. Perfect clarity and very nice color.

Aroma is a combination of sweet and tart cherries. No hop aroma is detected.

Taste is sweet, sour, and tart. It's similar to a mild cherry juice with a touch of bitterness. Familiar biscuit malts from Fat Tire and 2 Below. Nice clean balanced flavor and not too sweet.

Mouthfeel is, again, clean and balanced with a good level of carbonation. Not too heavy or syrupy.

Drinkability is very good for the style.

3.08/5  rDev -11.7%

Thin frothy foam. Color is a deep copper, sparkling with amber hues. Slow paced carbonation is easily visible as it is very clear. Aroma is not too intense, it's lightly citric with some faint cherry coming through.

The taste has a dominant fruit flavor, and although it is meant to be cherry, it is not intense/tart, but more sweet like apple. Unfortunately the bready malt flavors don't blend well with the fruit, and from start to finish the flavor doesn't really change. Oddly, it seems a bit "heavy" for a fruit beer as it lingers on the tongue, keeping you from really wanting more. The carbonation is lightly foamy, and the mouthfeel is syrupy.

This beer did not work for me on many levels. The cherry flavor seemed so artificial, and the whole thing became cloying without any hint of a sour or bitter note to balance things out. I am still waiting for New Belgium to impress me lately. Not recommended.

3.11/5  rDev -10.9%

Back again with a brand new addition. Pours a crystal clear light amber color with definite red hues through out. A soft white head with a slight pink haze as well. Not much lacing through and through.

The nose is mild overall but still distinct. There is a light malty backing with some nuttiness that I associate with Victory malt. Or at least with NB and Fat Tire. Some hints of bready and biscuit notes as well. There is a light cherry note that is subtle. There is a light sweetness on the backend that helps support the cherry but light.

The taste is similar. A Fat Tire-esk malt with a light balance of cherries to support the fruit side. To start the malt is less present but to balance the bready, nutty and biscuit notes come out more. The cherry flavor is subtle but is detectable. More of a extract cherry flavor, no real tart or sweet cherry hints come out.

The body is closer to light moderate to moderate. Light carbonation. Very easy to drink and finishes almost dry but the cherry flavor adds a light sweetness. Overall kind of boring for a fruit beer. Subtle flavors with some hints of Fat Tire.

Old Cherry from New Belgium Brewing