Old Cherry - New Belgium Brewing

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 05-18-2008

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
4.32/5  rDev +23.1%

Poured into a pint glass.

I am usually not a fan of fruit-infused beers but I loved this one. Poured a copper color and was completely clear. Had a hint of cherries in the smell and also in the taste. While I tasted some cherries, what I really thought when I tasted it was cheesecake. I have no idea why I got a cheesecake flavor, but I did. A very drinkable beer that I wish I could buy a 6 or 12 pack of, instead of only being able to get it in the Folly Pack. (464 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +9.1%

a: mahogany body, thin head, wispy lacing.

s: sweet cherries and light malt.

t: sweet ripe cherry wraps itself around toasted barley. tartness is low, as is the hop profile.

m: medium body.

d: an enjoyable fruit beer. more robust and flavorful than the SA cherry wheat. not overly sweet. tasty and satisfying. (313 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +6.8%

A - Poured out a clear copper color with a tan, foamy, small head. It left some rings of lace.

S - It smelled of cherry. It also had a malt and grassy aroma.

T - It tasted of sweet cherry with a hint of roasted malt. The cherry flavor was fairly strong but not overpowering.

M - It was crisp and fairly sharp. A light to medium-bodied beer.

D - This is a pretty good beer. One of the better fruit or cherry beers that I've had. (431 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +9.7%

Pretty decent and drinkable beer. The cherry flavor is natural and very subdued, not sweet and syrupy and not overly tart, which to me, set it apart from Quelque Chose and Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. I drank all three in one sitting and didn't get the lingering cherry-aftertaste (which sometimes happens with the two other brews I mentioned).

Worth a try if you don't mind picking up the Folly Pack. (398 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -8%

Appearance: Poured from the 12oz bottle into a pint glass. The beer is a clear reddish orange. Head is slightly off-white, grew to about 2 fingers, and had poor retention.

Smell: Toasty and bready malts introduce this beer to the nose. Cherry twang appears shortly after, but is very subtle.

Taste: Bready and biscuity malts lead into a somewhat syrupy cherry sweetness. Kind of cloying, since there's really nothing to balance the sweetness out...

This is like Fat Tire with a cherry dropped into the mix. Good, but probably not something I'll come back to. (562 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -12.3%

Thin frothy foam. Color is a deep copper, sparkling with amber hues. Slow paced carbonation is easily visible as it is very clear. Aroma is not too intense, it's lightly citric with some faint cherry coming through.

The taste has a dominant fruit flavor, and although it is meant to be cherry, it is not intense/tart, but more sweet like apple. Unfortunately the bready malt flavors don't blend well with the fruit, and from start to finish the flavor doesn't really change. Oddly, it seems a bit "heavy" for a fruit beer as it lingers on the tongue, keeping you from really wanting more. The carbonation is lightly foamy, and the mouthfeel is syrupy.

This beer did not work for me on many levels. The cherry flavor seemed so artificial, and the whole thing became cloying without any hint of a sour or bitter note to balance things out. I am still waiting for New Belgium to impress me lately. Not recommended. (915 characters)

3.57/5  rDev +1.7%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck, typical NBB design. Part of the mixed 12 packs. As usual for New Beligum, best by date, abv, and serving recommendations are all clearly marked.

Appearance: Amber in color with just a hint of a pinkish purple, but I may be imagining that due to the cherry on the label.

Smell: Bready malt - similar to fat tire, but then there is a bit of tart fruit in the background .. the combination is almost like cherry pie.

Taste: Very similar to the aroma .. the malt flavors dominate, with the similar bready malt with a bit of toasted flavor I expect in Fat Tire and several other NBB beers. Behind that is a bit of fruit, not sweet, just a bit tart.

Overall impression: Not bad - this is very similar to NBB's flagship, but the addition of a subtle cherry flavor is a nice touch. (809 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -11.4%

Back again with a brand new addition. Pours a crystal clear light amber color with definite red hues through out. A soft white head with a slight pink haze as well. Not much lacing through and through.

The nose is mild overall but still distinct. There is a light malty backing with some nuttiness that I associate with Victory malt. Or at least with NB and Fat Tire. Some hints of bready and biscuit notes as well. There is a light cherry note that is subtle. There is a light sweetness on the backend that helps support the cherry but light.

The taste is similar. A Fat Tire-esk malt with a light balance of cherries to support the fruit side. To start the malt is less present but to balance the bready, nutty and biscuit notes come out more. The cherry flavor is subtle but is detectable. More of a extract cherry flavor, no real tart or sweet cherry hints come out.

The body is closer to light moderate to moderate. Light carbonation. Very easy to drink and finishes almost dry but the cherry flavor adds a light sweetness. Overall kind of boring for a fruit beer. Subtle flavors with some hints of Fat Tire. (1,116 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

****Edit: All of the below is still accurate, but I let the last 1/4 glass warm to close to room temperature in my oppressively hot house right and that is when the cherry really seems to have blossomed.. My advice.. serve this at slightly above room temp and have a go at it.****

12 oz of the Folly mix pack ... This brew is the only reason I picked it up at the Coop... I have very fond memories of the NB Two Cherry. Poured into my New Belgium snifter.

Polished copper brew with a mild red overtone.. short lasting head and no lacing really to speak of.

Toasty/biscuity malts make up the bulk of the aroma.. Cherry essence is there.. but make you work to really pick it out... maybe will jump out more as it hits room temp... right now it is warmer than fridge temperature.. but I'm hoping... Honestly smells alot like Fat Tire.. but with a background.. very background fruity note.

Flavor mirrors the aroma perfectly .. but the fruitiness is slightly more pronounced.. but only slightly.. subtle fruitiness is cherry but I don't know I would be able to identify it as "cherry" unless the label tells me so. That said... it is actually "good" .. Toasted bread for sure with the very lightest spread of cherry jam.. I remember much more cherry essence in the "Two Cherry" but I still appreciate this one... has an earthy finish that is really hard to put my finger on.

As it warms.... it really starts to stick out that this is very much like a Fat Tire with some minor cherry in the midst of it all. I am not a New Belgium "hater" but I think it would have been better in a brew without so much pronounced toasty notes. I would like to see this in the Mothership or perhaps the Trippel.... they would need to still amp up the cherries a degree or two.. but again... I would still buy it periodically if it wasn't included with 9 other brews that I almost never buy. (1,873 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +16.8%

Poured a reddish copper with about 2 fingers of foam, which vanished quickly.

I didn't smell much besides a slight cherry aroma and malt, admittedly my sense of smell is lacking at this point in regards to reviewing beer.

I am not a big fan of fruit beers, and this one didn't have an overbearing cherry flavor which was a pleasant suprise. A little bit of sour cherry in the finish.

Very light tasting. I would be able to put back a few on a nice day. (456 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +3.1%

I had to buy a whole Folly Pack to just to get this beer. I remember trying this on tap at the brewery and really liking it. So there I was, sitting at the liquor store, trying to decide if I really wanted to sit through 3 Fat Tires, and 3 Mothership Wits just to get an Old Cherry. In the end it landed in my basket and here I am ready to review a beer that I remember liking.

I poured this beer into my Smokestack Goblet. It poured a light reddish brown with just a slight off white head and no lacing. It really reminds me of Diet Cherry Coke. Just a slight cola red with just a little carbonation. The aroma is complex. Sour cherries, chocolate, just a bit of vanilla, and heavy cream. The taste is a bit less inviting. The cherry dies off quite a bit. Lactose comes through with just a mild, vague sweetness. The taste really reminds me of Fat Tire without the sourness of it. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with little to no carbonation. I remember it being quite a bit more drinkable at the brewery. It seemed like they toned down the cherry quite a bit. It made it a much more approachable beer to the public but less of a beer geeks beer, which is a bit disappointing to me. (1,185 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -11.4%

A : Pours a nice amber with an offwhite head with a reddish tint. The head goes down pretty quickly but leaves some good lacing behind

S : A slightly sour cherry aroma with a good malt aroma

T : Slightly sour taste with mainly a malt flavor. A little cherry in the taste but it could use more.

M : Medium bodied, good carbonation

D : Not bad nothing special. I was hoping for more cherry. (392 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Got this as part of the NB Folly pack.
Honestly, I could describe this in more detail, but it really just tastes like a Fat Tire with a hint of cherry mixed in. I don't necessarily mind that, but I don't really feel this brew is all that unique and the cherry flavoring is pretty mild.
Read any middle of the road Fat Tire review and add "faint but pleasant cherry flavor" to the end of most sentences and this is what you'll get.
Good, but nothing really special. I'd buy it instead of Fat Tire, but NB makes better offerings. I think I'd rather have had a cherry tripel or even a cherry version of their Wit instead. (618 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bought as part of the folly pack, was able to split off into some singles at Central Market in Dallas.

Poured into pint glass, dark amber hue with finger of head that quickly dissipated. Strong malt on nose, little to no cherry scent. Can't say that it is very good smelling beer at all.

Nice taste, cherry is not overwhelming at all compared with Sam Adams Cherry Wheat that I recently had. Provides nice finish with mild cherry tartness and slight hoppiness. I'm not a huge fan of fruit beer but this is one that I could definitely drink again. (550 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +11.7%

Part of the folly pack, poured into a 12-mug. Very nice reddish walnut color, with fine bubbles but the head faded very quickly. Pleasant aroma with cherries present, but not too dominant. There's a solid malt backbone as well. Good taste, with some sweet light caramel malt, and cherries making a very light appearance in the middle, adding a little tartness in the finish. The cherry presence is quite light.

Tasty beer, but it could use more cherriness. If you don't look for it, it could easily be missed. I picked up some rainier cherries at the grocery store when I snagged this, so I'll be having a real cherry experience later. (637 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +22.5%

Clear and copper in color with a slight reddish hue. Sweet in smell with a definate cherry essence with slight sour or lemon odor. The first taste is the tartness that lingers a bit. The first thought is fruit beer, but the sour throws you for a nice little loop de loop. Refreshing in taste. Get a little spice at the end. Highly drinkable. Or actually, I should answer that after we kill the growler. I appreciate that NBB brought it back. The last time I had Old Cherry Ale was in 1997. (489 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -7.1%

Best By Date September 2008; Sampled May 2008
Pours into my 25cl tulip glass with a frothy, initially three finger thick, dirty tan colored head. The beer is a brilliantly clear red stained, dark caramel color, but shows a deeply red stained, copper color when held up to the light. The aroma has a malt character that seems distinctive of victory malt and is of course backed up by a light berry / cherry aroma. The cherry is not quite as over-the top as I was expecting and I like its soft influence here.

Quite dry tasting up front with a light tartness that accents a tart fruitiness. The cherry notes are again quite subtle in the flavor. The body has a light-medium heft to it that almost seems influenced by cherry pulp and cherry-skin tannins. More malt focused than anything the flavor has notes of biscuits, caramel, brown sugar and a distinct, whole-grain, cracker note in the finish. The bitterness is fairly light here, but does come out just a touch in the finish as well. Despite not tasting distinctly of cherries there is a solid fruit character here that is a mix of ripe melon, currants, blackberry and some light, though washed out, cherry.

An interesting beer, I remember the two-cherry being a bit more cherry like. In a blind tasting I bet many would not even realize that cherries were used in the making of this beer (myself likely included). The major flaw in the recipe is likely that they used a fairly bland cherry in too small of quantities. A nice beer, but doesn't quite hit the levels needed for a cherry fruit beer; I would love for New Belgium to do a cherry version of La Folie, ISO please.

Purchased: Plaza Liquors, Tucson AZ (1,665 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours effervescent amber/orange with 2+ fingers of cream colored head. Good head retention & above average lacing

S: Brown sugar, a pinch of dirt & mushrooms

T: Brown sugar, a bit of dirt, some caramel & cherries up front. Vanilla, oaky dryness, some mushroom, & cherry tartness as this warms. Finishes with toffee, some butterscotch, honey, & cherry

Medium bodied, low carbonation, some chewyness

Drinks pretty good, the dryness would get to me after a while. But there's really good Belgian influence in play. More beer than fruit, I like this more than I thought I would... (581 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +30.8%

Released in Spring 2008 as part of the Folly Pack. New Belgium describes Old Cherry as a Belgian amber ale with cherries from Washington state.

A: Dark amber with a light head and moderate carbonation.

S: Light cherry with lots of spice--maybe clove and ginger, maybe a little cinnamon.

T: Easily one of the most well balanced fruit beers I've ever had. Cherry tartness on the front and middle of the tongue mixed with a light spiciness and a hint of chocolate. Finishes with a light bitterness, either from minor hopping or maybe the cherries. Lingering tartness.

M: A little slick, and it could have some more spritz, but this is a nice-medium bodied brew with good length and light warming in the finish.

D: This is neither your extreme fruit beer (a la DFH or New Glarus or Founders) nor your mindless-summer-fruit-beer. Refreshing but with just a touch of heft. New complexity in each sip.

This is a great fruit beer; I hope New Belgium will consider making this a full-time offering. Not that 1554, Mothership Wit, and Fat Tire are anything to poo-poo, but Old Cherry justifies the purchase of a Folly Pack on its own. (1,131 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last