Giddy Up! - New Belgium Brewing

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Maudite on 08-22-2008)
Reviews by jawlessbody:
3.31/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a Nonic glass, it appeared a dark amber, almost brown color. The smell was heavy on the espresso, with a slight hint of citrus. The mouth feel was pretty normal with a fair bit of carbonation. As far as taste goes, I was pretty unimpressed. It didn't really taste like a beer, but more like watery espresso with a hint of lemon. The hops were virtually non existant, and the maltiness really didn't come through either. This is a beer I would recommend for people who don't like beer.

3.88/5  rDev +7.8%

12 oz bottle, best by April 3 2009. Pours a clear reddish amber with a creamy off white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is cold coffee and a little toffee and nuts.

The flavor is coffee and roast with some nuts and fruit leading to a slightly bitter finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with some sharp carbonation.

Overall, it's pretty one dimensional with the coffee notes, but I enjoy it. It's interesting having a lighter coffee beer with some fruit notes.

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

4.25/5  rDev +18.1%

2.99/5  rDev -16.9%

Pours a brown with some garnet highlights. Nonexistent head but only a wisp of what was.

First aroma for me is sour to tart before coffee bean rises up out of the terroir. Some burnt caramel notes as well.

Mixed bag of ale, malt, coffee grounds and citrus. Medium roast coffee rises first followed by pale hop with a twist of lemon peel. Bordering on bitter sour. Astringent with some acrid bitterness.

Medium mouthfeel yet feels light hearted due to the citrus. Carbonation is flatlining leaving the feel somewhat creamy.

A 4.5 for effort here that wanes among a small gathering. Fun to try at a tasting for something different. This might be fun to try in a red-eye to give the coffee more base. Just reiterating, a 3 on this site is OK. Not horrible, jus not my cup of tea...er coffee. Coffee and lemon belong in the Turkish cup of pure joe in Madagascar.

1.3/5  rDev -63.9%

On-tap at Naja's.

A ruddy amber colored beer, some fizz but little head.

Smells like my coffee pot when I rinse out the old cold coffee. Good god, yuk!

Very little "beer" (of any style) flavor here. Malt sweetness is absent, just a little cardboardy grainy husky flavor. Hops - none. Interesting yeast derived flavors - none. Coffee flavors dominate, but not in a good full bodied coffee way, more like a watered down leftover coffee way. There is also a slight sourness that reminded me of when I run vinegar through the coffe pot to clean it. Imagine 1 part burnt coffee, 1 part Fat Tire, 1 part water, a drop of distilled vinegar.

Mouthfeel was thin, finish was dry.

Drinkability, none. After a couple back-up sips to confirm my initial perceptions it got dumped.

To their credit, At least NBB is doing some weird stuff. Sometimes they get a pretty good one, but the Giddy Up is just awful as far as I'm concerned!

3.69/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - Pours a mud brown color that turns ruby red when held to light. The head is a sandstone color, one finger width and has fair retention, resulting in a broken layer of suds across the surface. The lacing is small and spotty, with fair stick.

Smell - Strong coffee aroma supported with light notes of chocolate, caramel and a hint of lemon.

Taste - No surprises here. Deep coffee character makes up the bulk of the flavor profile, while moderate notes of chocolate and caramel round out the front end. Traces of lemon zest can be found on the tongue in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Light in body with fair carbonation. Not much to it, but it's easy to drink.

Overall - A nice coffee infused ale from New Belgium. If they brought this back permanently, I'd probably buy it a few times a year. As is, I'm glad I got to try it as their featured 'Revival' brew.

1.65/5  rDev -54.2%

My new Brother in law gave me a couple of mix-a-sixes from Colorado for my "groomsman gift" (I was one of the ushers), and he thought that this one would pique my curiosity given my penchant for peculiar beers.

A - Deep burnished amber. This is nearly maroon in it's dark red intensity, and the head is a big fluffy three finger affair that shows decent retention after it drops to a thick foamy cap. A quick swirl brings up a full finger of head and leaves a good deal of lace on the glass.

S - Whoa! Now that smells CRAZY! The dominant note is of crushed espresso beans and it's exactly like sticking your nose into a bag of freshly ground dark roast. Also reminds me of those dark chocolate covered espresso beads. Honestly, the smell is wonderfully authentic but woefully one dimensional.

T - Ok. I've been giving this time to sink in after many sips... this one is just too weird. I can definitely taste espresso, but it's as if someone dumped a couple shots into a glass of V8 vegetable juice. I can detect rotten tomato ketchup-y flavors that do not complement the coffee notes in any way shape or form, and the combination of a lemon-y tang, malty sweetness, and bitter dark roast coffee is not good.

M - Medium bodied and foamy, this has a viscosity to it that does not help the vegetable juice flavors. This finishes terribly by leaving a rotten pukey foulness in the mouth with a lingering feeling of foamy thickness.

D - I'm glad that I got the chance to try it, but this is absolutely rot-gut. It's too bad too, since the nose is amazingly authentic and smells more like actual espresso beans than any other beer I've tried. It's pretty too, but those flavors just don't do it for me.

3.05/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Pours a ruby red-brown with attractive and tall head. Lace is lovely and lattice-like.

Nose is malty and a little roasty. I get plenty of autumnal notes (appropriate as this is part of the Fall 2013 Folly Pack). There's caramel, wet leaves, and a definite touch of coffee.

Taste is sweet and malty, with coffee up front and a hint of citrus (lemongrass) under the palate. I get a cola-type vibe here, as the coffee isn't over-the-top, though it is present and accounted for. Body seems thin. My overall impression, oddly -- flat cola!

Overall, fair enough as an edgy brown ale, but not one I'd revisit.

4.35/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: I was extremely shocked…bright orange, very odd for an espresso beer. The closest thing I've seen is Dogfish Head's chocolate beer that is also orange.

Smell: Strong scent of chocolate and espresso. The smells sneak up on you with the color.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Another odd combination that works: espresso and lemon. The coffee is extremely evident and perks you up, but the lemon cleans the palate while still keeping you interested. Light-medium body.

Overall: One of the strangest combinations, but very well-balanced.

2.9/5  rDev -19.4%

Got this in a pack of New Belgiums. Their newest folly! Hah!

A: Pours reddish brown. I had a hard time squeezing a lot of head out of it and it dissipated fast with almost no lacing on the glass.

S: Smells like a coffee shop. I guess that's sort of the point. I am not generally into this sort of thing, but damn, this smells good!

T: The espresso is at the core of this thing. In fact, it's completely overbearing despite the slight lemon and vanilla trying to balance it out. There's not a lot of complexity here, though, there's almost no bite to it, and honestly, it tastes sort of watery, like drinking watered down coffee with a lemon wedge in it. This one is just not doin' it for me. I prefer that my beer tastes like beer.

M: Thin, with a little carbonation that makes up for it. Not impressed.

D: Well, I could definitely pound these without really thinking about it, but I've come to expect more than that from New Belgium brews. Still, it's drinkable as a session beer, but I'd honestly rather just get Pabst or something cheap like that. As far as red ales go, this is nowhere close to something like, say, Cinder Cone, which is miles above this in terms of quality.

I'm pretty disappointed in this one. Maybe I got a bad bottle or something (if the next one is better, I'll be sure to edit this review to reflect that).

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

4.03/5  rDev +11.9%

On tap at Naja's on 9/3/08.
Looked good. I had no idea what it was but ordered it because I was curious. Dark red, similar to Fat Tire, but slightly darker.
Smelled like strong coffee, maybe some vanilla, kind of hard to get too much of a smell with the two broads smoking right next to us.
Taste was like a cup of weak coffee. Meaning that this was the most coffee I have ever tasted in a beer. It was fantastic the way the malt and coffee jumped back and forth. I was very impressed and shocked. I had no idea it was a coffee beer until that first sip.
Mouthfeel was good. Smooth, very similar to Fat Tire.
The drinkability suffered because the beer just got a bit old after a while. It was so intense with coffee that it almost got a bit obnoxious. Still a very good beer and I would try it again if I ever see it, which may be never.
Recommended

3.74/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Served in a glass from the bottle.

A - nice deep amber color. Head dissipates quickly but a thin layer of foam remains. Moderate lacing.

T- lemon and coffee are apparent. Slightly plithy. Weak coffee finish accompanied by slight hippy bitterness.

M - nothing special. Moderate carbonation with very little bubbles.

O - very easy drinker and a fine beer for many occasions. It is a crowd pleaser and didn't stand out to me as anything special.

S - coffee is very apparent and dominates the smell. Its a shame because I did not get that from the taste. It was almost sweet.

2.75/5  rDev -23.6%