Giddy Up! - New Belgium Brewing

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Maudite on 08-22-2008)

This is my new favorite beer. Coffee + Delicious Beer = Heaven!

It taste amazing. I'm never reviewed a beer before but tasting it made me login so I can give this beer 5 stars.

I don't know why the review has to be 250 characters. This is too long. Go buy this beer!

I purchased the Folly Pack from my work. And was pleased with Giddy Up and 1554 as well. One of my favorite breweries by far. New Belgium is amazing!!!! They hoppy taste is what I like the most. No bitterness that I felt. One day I will make it out to Colorado to visit New Belgium. Two thumbs up!!!

4.7/5  rDev +30.6%

Had this on tap at the Ginger Man in Dallas.

I like the color, very dark/coffee amber. Decent head and lacing.

Smell of coffee/espesso, interesting malts, and hit of citrus. I like the strength of the coffee smell.

Taste wasn't as strong as the smell leads you to think it will be. That's a strong point, I think. Espresso comes through, but tempered with some vanilla/caramel hint. Just a pinch of hop there too, but doesn't hurt, just compliments.

Mouthfeel was just as it should be for this ale, smooth and easy. Medium bodied.

This is a very drinkable ale. I like the idea of a espresso ale for breakfast.

Most of the New Belgium offerings hit their mark, and this one does, dead on. I will definitely snag a case for the favorite ale 'fridge, when I can find it.

4.63/5  rDev +28.6%

To clarify, this is an "ale brewed with espresso" according to the tap handle. So, yes a coffee beer (!) from New Belgium. The base seems to be a light brown ale or a fairly neutral amber.

It's dark amber with moderate carbonation and a thin, receding head. Aromas of iced coffee, chocolate, and bread dough. Lots of coffee flavor across the tongue, but it's light--like a nice iced coffee, rather than day-old cold coffee like so many mediocre coffee beers. The java mellows out toward the end of each sip, and there's a nice grainy finish. Coffee flavors linger.

This is an incredibly drinkable, very well balanced coffee beer. I'd love to see this become a regular offering from New Belgium.

On tap at Crescent Moon in Omaha.

4.5/5  rDev +25%

4.5/5  rDev +25%

4.47/5  rDev +24.2%

Poured into pint glass.

Color is a dark orange amber. Slight tan head that was very thin with no lace.

The aroma was amazing. Smells like a perfect roast of coffee. Also lemon zest and coffee bean aromas.

Taste is just like a perfect roast of coffee with lemon zest. There was also a chocolate taste.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. Pretty clean aftertaste that is well carbonated.

Overall, this beer is awesome. I really enjoyed this beer and I plan on buying more of it, if I can still find it. I highly recommend.

4.43/5  rDev +23.1%

A - Pours up a clear amber with a dense off-white head that dissipates slowly to a thin cap on top of the beer.

S - The aroma if all coffee. And I mean that in a good way. It's a smooth aroma, not roasty, but earthy.

T- Slightly sweet malt starts off, but the coffee flavor fills my mouth. Again, it's not a roasty bitter flavor, but an earthy, chocolatey flavor.

M - Medium bodied with a light carbonation tingle

D - A very easy drinking beer. I really like it.

4.35/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: I was extremely shocked…bright orange, very odd for an espresso beer. The closest thing I've seen is Dogfish Head's chocolate beer that is also orange.

Smell: Strong scent of chocolate and espresso. The smells sneak up on you with the color.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Another odd combination that works: espresso and lemon. The coffee is extremely evident and perks you up, but the lemon cleans the palate while still keeping you interested. Light-medium body.

Overall: One of the strangest combinations, but very well-balanced.

4.33/5  rDev +20.3%

Another beer provided by SeaBass

A: Pours a nutty brown hue with amber tones showing through. 1/2 finger creamy head which exhibits great retention. Nice solid lace noted.

S: Nice coffee aroams. Not bold espresso, more on the mild side. Notes of caramel malt as well.

T: Nice sweet brown sugar malt up front with hints of nuts. Nice blast of coffee makes this a real winner. Man do I love me some coffee in my beer.

M: Medium in body, smooth, with nice carbonation.

D: Tasty and drinkable as hell. The lower level of coffee makes this one I could session with. Very nice.

4.33/5  rDev +20.3%

I had this on tap at the Freakin Frog in Vegas. It was listed as an "ale with espresso", usually implying a coffee stout (at least to me) but this time it's an amber beer. The smell was very nice, malty with loads of coffee. The beer tastes mainly sweet, with a nice coffee after-taste that lasts a long time. Very good, even better than I expected, but then again I didn't know it was New Belgium (which would have raised expectations right away but this beer meets those standards).

4.25/5  rDev +18.1%

Had this one on tap at The Ginger Man....

pours up a red amber color with a decent off white head. decent lacing. the nose is sweet malts, coffee bean and brewed coffee aromas. the taste is espresso, coffee bean, vanilla, full bodied, medium carbo. I didn't really detect any lemon flavors or aromas but New Belgium holds a solid place in my book when they release good brews like this.

4.22/5  rDev +17.2%

A - Pours a clear, dark amber with a creamy off-white head. Head retention is decent and lacing is plentiful.

S - Espresso mostly, with some caramel mixed in there as well.

T - The espresso flavor dominates. It's very rich, but not overpowering. A dash of malty caramel comes through in the flavor. Not much hop presence, but that's okay. I think hops would be out of their element in this beer. Supposedly, there's some lemon peel in there as well, but I couldn't taste or smell it.

M - Medium-bodied with a smooth, medium-dry finish. The espresso flavors linger on the palate ever so slightly.

D - I really enjoyed this one. It's very smooth and positively delicious! I'll definately be having more of this in the future.

4.21/5  rDev +16.9%

4.2/5  rDev +16.7%

A: Clear, bright orange/amber color. Poured a 2 finger beige head with fair retention. Broken, inconsistent lacing. Lightly decanted.

S: Citrus lemon zest and coffee beans.

T: Consistent with smell; flavors were clear and present - bitter coffee, roasted malts - but not overbearing; very nice balance. Ample bittering hops to brighten the finish.

M: Light body. Ample carbonation. Overall smooth and creamy, but clean in the finish.

D: Pretty sure I could drink a lot of this. I tire of coffee, but this in this beer the flavor is not over-done.

4.15/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

What a fascinating surprise! I bought a Folly Pack, expecting to find three Old Cherry's in it, and the OC had been replaced with this new beer.

Moderate pour into my New Belgium goblet yields a two-finger off-white head (fades fairly quickly) over a clear chestnut body. Decent appearance. Not much lacing.

Smell is strong and overtly coffee, and it smells good. Decent malty undertones, with hints of maybe Cascade hops.

Taste is like the smell, though not so strong; and the lemon peel is certainly there, though very subtle. This tasted so much like coffee, I considered putting cream and sugar in it. I really like the taste.

Weakest aspect of the beer is the mouthfeel. Pretty thin.

Very easy to drink. I want more of this.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

Got this in trade from vasdef42. Thanks, Jared!

A-Pours a clear honey amber with a fluffy white head but little lacing.

S-Label says this was brewed with lemon peel and infused with espresso. Both are there, though the espresso is dominant. Lemon in the background is very nice.

T-That's nice. Espresso dominates the front of the palate, though it's a bit subdued compared to the nose. Lemon notes take over midway through and this finishes nice and clean. A bit tart and a bit sweet.

M-Clean, crisp, medium bodied.

D-Really refreshing, well balanced between sweet and tarty notes. This is a good one.

HV