Giddy Up! - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: Maudite on 08-22-2008

This is my new favorite beer. Coffee + Delicious Beer = Heaven!

It taste amazing. I'm never reviewed a beer before but tasting it made me login so I can give this beer 5 stars.

I don't know why the review has to be 250 characters. This is too long. Go buy this beer! (269 characters)

I purchased the Folly Pack from my work. And was pleased with Giddy Up and 1554 as well. One of my favorite breweries by far. New Belgium is amazing!!!! They hoppy taste is what I like the most. No bitterness that I felt. One day I will make it out to Colorado to visit New Belgium. Two thumbs up!!! (299 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +28.6%

Had this on tap at the Ginger Man in Dallas.

I like the color, very dark/coffee amber. Decent head and lacing.

Smell of coffee/espesso, interesting malts, and hit of citrus. I like the strength of the coffee smell.

Taste wasn't as strong as the smell leads you to think it will be. That's a strong point, I think. Espresso comes through, but tempered with some vanilla/caramel hint. Just a pinch of hop there too, but doesn't hurt, just compliments.

Mouthfeel was just as it should be for this ale, smooth and easy. Medium bodied.

This is a very drinkable ale. I like the idea of a espresso ale for breakfast.

Most of the New Belgium offerings hit their mark, and this one does, dead on. I will definitely snag a case for the favorite ale 'fridge, when I can find it. (774 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +24.5%

To clarify, this is an "ale brewed with espresso" according to the tap handle. So, yes a coffee beer (!) from New Belgium. The base seems to be a light brown ale or a fairly neutral amber.

It's dark amber with moderate carbonation and a thin, receding head. Aromas of iced coffee, chocolate, and bread dough. Lots of coffee flavor across the tongue, but it's light--like a nice iced coffee, rather than day-old cold coffee like so many mediocre coffee beers. The java mellows out toward the end of each sip, and there's a nice grainy finish. Coffee flavors linger.

This is an incredibly drinkable, very well balanced coffee beer. I'd love to see this become a regular offering from New Belgium.

On tap at Crescent Moon in Omaha. (731 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +19.9%

A - Pours up a clear amber with a dense off-white head that dissipates slowly to a thin cap on top of the beer.

S - The aroma if all coffee. And I mean that in a good way. It's a smooth aroma, not roasty, but earthy.

T- Slightly sweet malt starts off, but the coffee flavor fills my mouth. Again, it's not a roasty bitter flavor, but an earthy, chocolatey flavor.

M - Medium bodied with a light carbonation tingle

D - A very easy drinking beer. I really like it. (467 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: I was extremely shocked…bright orange, very odd for an espresso beer. The closest thing I've seen is Dogfish Head's chocolate beer that is also orange.

Smell: Strong scent of chocolate and espresso. The smells sneak up on you with the color.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Another odd combination that works: espresso and lemon. The coffee is extremely evident and perks you up, but the lemon cleans the palate while still keeping you interested. Light-medium body.

Overall: One of the strangest combinations, but very well-balanced. (536 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +17.7%

I had this on tap at the Freakin Frog in Vegas. It was listed as an "ale with espresso", usually implying a coffee stout (at least to me) but this time it's an amber beer. The smell was very nice, malty with loads of coffee. The beer tastes mainly sweet, with a nice coffee after-taste that lasts a long time. Very good, even better than I expected, but then again I didn't know it was New Belgium (which would have raised expectations right away but this beer meets those standards). (484 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +17.2%

Another beer provided by SeaBass

A: Pours a nutty brown hue with amber tones showing through. 1/2 finger creamy head which exhibits great retention. Nice solid lace noted.

S: Nice coffee aroams. Not bold espresso, more on the mild side. Notes of caramel malt as well.

T: Nice sweet brown sugar malt up front with hints of nuts. Nice blast of coffee makes this a real winner. Man do I love me some coffee in my beer.

M: Medium in body, smooth, with nice carbonation.

D: Tasty and drinkable as hell. The lower level of coffee makes this one I could session with. Very nice. (576 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +16.3%

Had this one on tap at The Ginger Man....

pours up a red amber color with a decent off white head. decent lacing. the nose is sweet malts, coffee bean and brewed coffee aromas. the taste is espresso, coffee bean, vanilla, full bodied, medium carbo. I didn't really detect any lemon flavors or aromas but New Belgium holds a solid place in my book when they release good brews like this. (387 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +15%

A: Clear, bright orange/amber color. Poured a 2 finger beige head with fair retention. Broken, inconsistent lacing. Lightly decanted.

S: Citrus lemon zest and coffee beans.

T: Consistent with smell; flavors were clear and present - bitter coffee, roasted malts - but not overbearing; very nice balance. Ample bittering hops to brighten the finish.

M: Light body. Ample carbonation. Overall smooth and creamy, but clean in the finish.

D: Pretty sure I could drink a lot of this. I tire of coffee, but this in this beer the flavor is not over-done. (550 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +13.9%

A - Pours a clear, dark amber with a creamy off-white head. Head retention is decent and lacing is plentiful.

S - Espresso mostly, with some caramel mixed in there as well.

T - The espresso flavor dominates. It's very rich, but not overpowering. A dash of malty caramel comes through in the flavor. Not much hop presence, but that's okay. I think hops would be out of their element in this beer. Supposedly, there's some lemon peel in there as well, but I couldn't taste or smell it.

M - Medium-bodied with a smooth, medium-dry finish. The espresso flavors linger on the palate ever so slightly.

D - I really enjoyed this one. It's very smooth and positively delicious! I'll definately be having more of this in the future. (727 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

What a fascinating surprise! I bought a Folly Pack, expecting to find three Old Cherry's in it, and the OC had been replaced with this new beer.

Moderate pour into my New Belgium goblet yields a two-finger off-white head (fades fairly quickly) over a clear chestnut body. Decent appearance. Not much lacing.

Smell is strong and overtly coffee, and it smells good. Decent malty undertones, with hints of maybe Cascade hops.

Taste is like the smell, though not so strong; and the lemon peel is certainly there, though very subtle. This tasted so much like coffee, I considered putting cream and sugar in it. I really like the taste.

Weakest aspect of the beer is the mouthfeel. Pretty thin.

Very easy to drink. I want more of this. (734 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +11.7%

Got this in trade from vasdef42. Thanks, Jared!

A-Pours a clear honey amber with a fluffy white head but little lacing.

S-Label says this was brewed with lemon peel and infused with espresso. Both are there, though the espresso is dominant. Lemon in the background is very nice.

T-That's nice. Espresso dominates the front of the palate, though it's a bit subdued compared to the nose. Lemon notes take over midway through and this finishes nice and clean. A bit tart and a bit sweet.

M-Clean, crisp, medium bodied.

D-Really refreshing, well balanced between sweet and tarty notes. This is a good one.

HV (611 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +11.4%

12 oz bottle poured into a New Belgium globe.
6% ABV, "Serve at 45°F", Best Before 26 JAN 14

A - Giddy Up! is a dark copper colored beer that has a fleeting off-white head which leaves little lace. It's dark color makes clarity difficult to see but when held up to the light, small carbonation bubbles can be seen fleeing to the surface.

S - Boisterous espresso evaporates into the nostrils with haste, gently balanced by a smooth touch of toffee and slightly overdone toast.

T - Like the aroma suggests, Giddy Up! is big on the espresso but, it's toasted malt base is light, not beefy like, say, a stout, so the lovely coffee flavor is there but not over the top. While lemon peel is devoid in the aroma, sweet lemon bar notes along with a touch of caramel traipse through the background.

M - Giddy Up!'s lighter body lends itself well to the bold flavor of the infused espresso as the dainty carbonation pours over the tongue, drying the palate out for a balanced finish that's neither bitter nor sweet.

O - It's not often you'll find coffee in a beer other than a porter or stout and, on the occasion you might, they can certainly be hit or miss. After all, pairing coffee's bold flavors with something other than the complimentary chocolaty profile of roasted malts can be tough. New Belgium's Giddy Up! pulls off a non-stout coffee beer wonderfully though! Espresso through and through, this lighter bodied, easier drinking toasted amber brew is just the thing to perk you up! (1,487 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +10.9%

Had this at New Belgium. One of their four samples. The servers said it would be available for general purchase soon enough.

Now onto the beer. It was darker than Fat Tire (a little more amber). Had a slight espresso smell (of course) but nothing over powering. Still just a slight coffee taste and very drinkable. I really liked that the coffee didn't overwhelm the beer. It was more about a nice beer with a hint of coffee instead of the other way around.

Too bad that New Belgium doesn't distribute past Tennessee, but I look forward to that day. (552 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +10.9%

Sampled at the San Antonio Flying Saucer

A: Dark amber, almost black but with clarity, with a lasting creamy tan head that laced a bit.

S: Roasted coffee and lemon, as advertised, with a 'beery' yeasty edge.

T: The coffee come on strong, but doesn't overwhelm. Very mild cirtic edge, if I hadn't been told I probably wouldn't have noticed. Beyond the coffee flavor, no a lot noted.

M: Carbonation was a bit high, but not outrageous. Medium body.

O: I liked it! I'll be watching to see if we get bottles and will gladly grab a sixer or two. Glad to see NB trying new things and scoffing at style restrictions. (613 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +10.4%

A 12 oz bottle purchased on Liquid Solutions.

A: The ale pours with a vigorous carbonation. So much so that the glass nearly overflowed when the bottle was still half full. Three plus fingers of head are lacing in a spiderweb patchwork. The ale is an amber brown color.

S: The espresso is especially strong, concentrated and bitter. A faint lemon tartness, very faint, is a counterpunch.

T: I've never had such a strong coffee taste out of such a light (relatively speaking) ale. The espresso is sweet and sharp with a lactic undertone. Lemon is more peel than juice, a perfect compliment to the espresso (although I prefer my espresso with sambuca over lemon peel). A very accessible ale that shows off the espresso in a pleasant manner.

M: The espresso is the best feature of the ale, so if you don't like coffee you've been warned. The hops and amber malts are almost nonexistent.

D: I was expecting to be underwhelmed, based on the feedback-to-date. I am quite happy to report that it exceeded my expectations. The coffee flavor is dominant and I love espresso. (1,070 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +10.4%

Part of the sampler pack I picked up. A retired brew resurrected for the occasion!

This is an interesting brew. It pours a amber-tan caramel color, almost like a watered down cup of coffee or a cold brewed tea, topped with a creamy slightly cocoa colored foaming.

The lemon notes contrast well with the espresso characteristics. The aroma has a slight coffee with lemony squeeze character. This combination comes out with much more prominence as I taste it.

There’s not an overwhelming “coffee” character to this, which leads me to think there’s more options for coffee and beer combinations than just the usual stouts and porters. (643 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours a dark amber color, nearly brown, a huge 3 finger tan head, falls slowly, good lacing. Aroma is a nice mix of chocolate, coffee, and bright hops. Still has that same New Belgium yeast aroma that I get in every one of their beers. Taste has very nice coffee flavor, but it's not overly pronounced. The coffee blends nicely with the biscuity, nutty malts and earthy hops. I'm not picking up too much of the lemon. As with the nose, the flavor is typical New Belgium, as most of their beers seem to have a Fat Tire base, and then they work around that. Not sure if it's the malts or the yeast, but many of beers have the same qualities, but that's not a complaint. Just nothing new or exciting. It's slightly sweet and well balanced. Mouthfeel is medium and slightly creamy with the low carbonation. I liked this beer, but couldn't see myself trying to get it in six packs. It was good enough as a treat in the Folly Pack. (925 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +9.5%

Had a few glasses of this at Naja's Place in Redondo Beach last night during happy hour, bartender said it was a brown ale infused with espresso beans and lemons

A-Ruby red and brown in color, thin 1/2 inch off white ubbly head that did not last long, not much retention, some lacing at first
S-First and foremost there is espresso, caramel, toffee, lemon, cream, dark roasted accents, toast, hint of sugar, and burned malts
T-Initial taste was coffee, then an amber or red ale-like middle with some caramel malt and some notes of brown sugar, on the verge of being chewy, the finish is dry with espresso and some citrus, lemon comes out more later but is evident all the way through, got slightly sweeter as it warmed but coffee stood its ground
M-Not much carbonation, thin to medium body, mouthfeel is dry and slightly citrusy, coffee dominates the sensation, taste lingers a long time
D-Goes down pretty easily at first but then becomes a little heavy, coffee flavor can get tiresome even though it is smooth, alcohol is hidden well

Happy and surprised to see this was not a specialty beer when we got there because we were able to get some pitchers and not pay eight dollars per glass, the most unique offering from New Belgium that I have had and probably most interesting thing I have drank in a while period, would drink again if I ever see it, recommended (1,366 characters)

On tap at Naja's on 9/3/08.
Looked good. I had no idea what it was but ordered it because I was curious. Dark red, similar to Fat Tire, but slightly darker.
Smelled like strong coffee, maybe some vanilla, kind of hard to get too much of a smell with the two broads smoking right next to us.
Taste was like a cup of weak coffee. Meaning that this was the most coffee I have ever tasted in a beer. It was fantastic the way the malt and coffee jumped back and forth. I was very impressed and shocked. I had no idea it was a coffee beer until that first sip.
Mouthfeel was good. Smooth, very similar to Fat Tire.
The drinkability suffered because the beer just got a bit old after a while. It was so intense with coffee that it almost got a bit obnoxious. Still a very good beer and I would try it again if I ever see it, which may be never.
Recommended (850 characters)

A - Poured out a cloudy, copper color with a foamy, bubbly, two-finger head. It left nice lace on the glass.

S - It smelled of expresso, lemon and some caramel malt. Very interesting.

T - It tasted of expresso, vanilla, caramel and some bitter hop kick. Great coffee flavor.

M - It was smooth and soft. A medium-bodied beer.

D - This is very unique and very good. I think it should be a regular release. (407 characters)

I'd like to thank our NB rep, Jeff, for this sample.

a: Dark ruby body, thin cream colored head.

s: Caramel, espresso, toast, toffee, maybe a hint of cocoa and a kiss of lemon.

t: A mesh of caramel and espresso up front. Light lemon notes in the middle with creamy latte in the finish. Somehow, all these flavors work out. cool.

m: thin, but it works, allows you to focus on the nuance of the flavor profile.

d: Expecting this to be a bit of a train wreck, I came away from this pleasantly surprised. The flavors are subtle, not overbearing and I think this is key for them to play off each other so well. I really like this, good work NB. (644 characters)

A - Pours a clear chestnut brown with hardly any foam, just a ring of small bubbles around the glass

S - nice mild coffee aromas and some roasted malts

T - some sweet malt and nut flavor up front with some nice coffee flavors coming through and some hints of lemon

M/D - medium bodied and easy drinking, a very nice version of a coffee beer. I don't know if I'd want to drink it one after the other, but definitely worth a try. (430 characters)

How can a beer be retired if I'm drinking it now? ROTFLMAO I just picked up a variety 12 pack of New Belgium at the local Jewel Osco. Nice surprise to find a supposed retired beer. I'm new to the review thing so bare with me. Taste good, smells good, head good, lacing good. (274 characters)

Giddy Up! from New Belgium Brewing