Giddy Up! - New Belgium Brewing

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Maudite on 08-22-2008)
1.25/5  rDev -65.3%

JasonTaverner, Sep 26, 2013
1.3/5  rDev -63.9%

On-tap at Naja's.

A ruddy amber colored beer, some fizz but little head.

Smells like my coffee pot when I rinse out the old cold coffee. Good god, yuk!

Very little "beer" (of any style) flavor here. Malt sweetness is absent, just a little cardboardy grainy husky flavor. Hops - none. Interesting yeast derived flavors - none. Coffee flavors dominate, but not in a good full bodied coffee way, more like a watered down leftover coffee way. There is also a slight sourness that reminded me of when I run vinegar through the coffe pot to clean it. Imagine 1 part burnt coffee, 1 part Fat Tire, 1 part water, a drop of distilled vinegar.

Mouthfeel was thin, finish was dry.

Drinkability, none. After a couple back-up sips to confirm my initial perceptions it got dumped.

To their credit, At least NBB is doing some weird stuff. Sometimes they get a pretty good one, but the Giddy Up is just awful as far as I'm concerned!

dac, Sep 18, 2008
1.4/5  rDev -61.1%

The beer is a beautiful dark color. That is all I can say I liked about it.

Aroma gave some clues as to what was to come - but didn't quite give a complete picture.

The first drop that hit the tongue wasn't bad... but then the full flavor hit, and I actually convulsed at how bad it was. I have no idea where they were trying to go with the combination of flavors, but they ended up in a suburb of hell as far as I'm concerned.

Poured the rest down the drain. Only the 2nd beer I've ever done that to.

xqed, Apr 17, 2009
1.65/5  rDev -54.2%

My new Brother in law gave me a couple of mix-a-sixes from Colorado for my "groomsman gift" (I was one of the ushers), and he thought that this one would pique my curiosity given my penchant for peculiar beers.

A - Deep burnished amber. This is nearly maroon in it's dark red intensity, and the head is a big fluffy three finger affair that shows decent retention after it drops to a thick foamy cap. A quick swirl brings up a full finger of head and leaves a good deal of lace on the glass.

S - Whoa! Now that smells CRAZY! The dominant note is of crushed espresso beans and it's exactly like sticking your nose into a bag of freshly ground dark roast. Also reminds me of those dark chocolate covered espresso beads. Honestly, the smell is wonderfully authentic but woefully one dimensional.

T - Ok. I've been giving this time to sink in after many sips... this one is just too weird. I can definitely taste espresso, but it's as if someone dumped a couple shots into a glass of V8 vegetable juice. I can detect rotten tomato ketchup-y flavors that do not complement the coffee notes in any way shape or form, and the combination of a lemon-y tang, malty sweetness, and bitter dark roast coffee is not good.

M - Medium bodied and foamy, this has a viscosity to it that does not help the vegetable juice flavors. This finishes terribly by leaving a rotten pukey foulness in the mouth with a lingering feeling of foamy thickness.

D - I'm glad that I got the chance to try it, but this is absolutely rot-gut. It's too bad too, since the nose is amazingly authentic and smells more like actual espresso beans than any other beer I've tried. It's pretty too, but those flavors just don't do it for me.

pmcadamis, Jan 04, 2009
2.03/5  rDev -43.6%

A - Poured a dark copper color with an off white head that leaves lacing behind

S - Nothing but black coffee I don't get any lemon here

T - Just like it smells its like drinking cold black coffee no real balance of coffee beans and any sort of a base beer

M - This beer has a thin watery body with medium carbonation to it

D - This was a waste of my money I could only drink half the pint before I sent it back to the bartender and ordered a new beer this is carbonated coffee not an amber stay away from this one

armock, May 24, 2010
2.08/5  rDev -42.2%

On tap at the Saucer in Houston. Pours a light, clear, brown into the glass with a thin white head. Aroma smells like fat tire served out of a coffee urn. Flavor really rubs me the wrong way. The coffee flavor I get from this beer tastes like a pot of coffee that you left sitting over a weekend and then tried to reheat. I love that a brewery of New Belgium's size experiments with beers like this, but for me this one was a complete miss.

graham515, Nov 11, 2008
2.2/5  rDev -38.9%

Got this one as part of a combo 12 pack. I was surprised to find a brewer tossing espresso into an amber and wanted to try it - not suprisingly it didn't work. Pours a darker amber color but very translucent. The espresso is noticable but ends up being too much for such a light body. The ensuing lemon peel flavor doesn't help either as the contrast between the two aforementioned flavors is hardly tasty. A friend trying it on a blind taste test said it reminded him of soy sauce - no joke. A very confusing amber that I cannot recommend.

HoppyMcStout, Dec 31, 2008
2.25/5  rDev -37.5%

illidurit, Nov 21, 2013
2.44/5  rDev -32.2%

Note: I am not a fan of coffee and I got four bottles of this in a folly pack. Was not expecting any coffee beer in a folly pack.

Appearance: Good color and head retention.

Smell: Lots of coffee.

Taste: Coffee dominates the flavor. Fairly unpleasant. Would be tough to give anything better than a 8/20 for flavor on the BJCP.

Do not recommend. Avoid the current folly pack.

hjelmn, Aug 26, 2013

muswellbeerbelly, Dec 14, 2013

TerryB, Dec 27, 2013

Yesdog, Nov 28, 2013
2.9/5  rDev -19.4%

Got this in a pack of New Belgiums. Their newest folly! Hah!

A: Pours reddish brown. I had a hard time squeezing a lot of head out of it and it dissipated fast with almost no lacing on the glass.

S: Smells like a coffee shop. I guess that's sort of the point. I am not generally into this sort of thing, but damn, this smells good!

T: The espresso is at the core of this thing. In fact, it's completely overbearing despite the slight lemon and vanilla trying to balance it out. There's not a lot of complexity here, though, there's almost no bite to it, and honestly, it tastes sort of watery, like drinking watered down coffee with a lemon wedge in it. This one is just not doin' it for me. I prefer that my beer tastes like beer.

M: Thin, with a little carbonation that makes up for it. Not impressed.

D: Well, I could definitely pound these without really thinking about it, but I've come to expect more than that from New Belgium brews. Still, it's drinkable as a session beer, but I'd honestly rather just get Pabst or something cheap like that. As far as red ales go, this is nowhere close to something like, say, Cinder Cone, which is miles above this in terms of quality.

I'm pretty disappointed in this one. Maybe I got a bad bottle or something (if the next one is better, I'll be sure to edit this review to reflect that).

electricfields, Dec 07, 2008
2.99/5  rDev -16.9%

Pours a brown with some garnet highlights. Nonexistent head but only a wisp of what was.

First aroma for me is sour to tart before coffee bean rises up out of the terroir. Some burnt caramel notes as well.

Mixed bag of ale, malt, coffee grounds and citrus. Medium roast coffee rises first followed by pale hop with a twist of lemon peel. Bordering on bitter sour. Astringent with some acrid bitterness.

Medium mouthfeel yet feels light hearted due to the citrus. Carbonation is flatlining leaving the feel somewhat creamy.

A 4.5 for effort here that wanes among a small gathering. Fun to try at a tasting for something different. This might be fun to try in a red-eye to give the coffee more base. Just reiterating, a 3 on this site is OK. Not horrible, jus not my cup of tea...er coffee. Coffee and lemon belong in the Turkish cup of pure joe in Madagascar.

joeseppy, Dec 24, 2013