Giddy Up! - New Belgium Brewing

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: Maudite on 08-22-2008

1.34/5  rDev -63.3%

On-tap at Naja's.

A ruddy amber colored beer, some fizz but little head.

Smells like my coffee pot when I rinse out the old cold coffee. Good god, yuk!

Very little "beer" (of any style) flavor here. Malt sweetness is absent, just a little cardboardy grainy husky flavor. Hops - none. Interesting yeast derived flavors - none. Coffee flavors dominate, but not in a good full bodied coffee way, more like a watered down leftover coffee way. There is also a slight sourness that reminded me of when I run vinegar through the coffe pot to clean it. Imagine 1 part burnt coffee, 1 part Fat Tire, 1 part water, a drop of distilled vinegar.

Mouthfeel was thin, finish was dry.

Drinkability, none. After a couple back-up sips to confirm my initial perceptions it got dumped.

To their credit, At least NBB is doing some weird stuff. Sometimes they get a pretty good one, but the Giddy Up is just awful as far as I'm concerned!

1.47/5  rDev -59.7%

The beer is a beautiful dark color. That is all I can say I liked about it.

Aroma gave some clues as to what was to come - but didn't quite give a complete picture.

The first drop that hit the tongue wasn't bad... but then the full flavor hit, and I actually convulsed at how bad it was. I have no idea where they were trying to go with the combination of flavors, but they ended up in a suburb of hell as far as I'm concerned.

Poured the rest down the drain. Only the 2nd beer I've ever done that to.

1.78/5  rDev -51.2%

My new Brother in law gave me a couple of mix-a-sixes from Colorado for my "groomsman gift" (I was one of the ushers), and he thought that this one would pique my curiosity given my penchant for peculiar beers.

A - Deep burnished amber. This is nearly maroon in it's dark red intensity, and the head is a big fluffy three finger affair that shows decent retention after it drops to a thick foamy cap. A quick swirl brings up a full finger of head and leaves a good deal of lace on the glass.

S - Whoa! Now that smells CRAZY! The dominant note is of crushed espresso beans and it's exactly like sticking your nose into a bag of freshly ground dark roast. Also reminds me of those dark chocolate covered espresso beads. Honestly, the smell is wonderfully authentic but woefully one dimensional.

T - Ok. I've been giving this time to sink in after many sips... this one is just too weird. I can definitely taste espresso, but it's as if someone dumped a couple shots into a glass of V8 vegetable juice. I can detect rotten tomato ketchup-y flavors that do not complement the coffee notes in any way shape or form, and the combination of a lemon-y tang, malty sweetness, and bitter dark roast coffee is not good.

M - Medium bodied and foamy, this has a viscosity to it that does not help the vegetable juice flavors. This finishes terribly by leaving a rotten pukey foulness in the mouth with a lingering feeling of foamy thickness.

D - I'm glad that I got the chance to try it, but this is absolutely rot-gut. It's too bad too, since the nose is amazingly authentic and smells more like actual espresso beans than any other beer I've tried. It's pretty too, but those flavors just don't do it for me.

2.03/5  rDev -44.4%

A - Poured a dark copper color with an off white head that leaves lacing behind

S - Nothing but black coffee I don't get any lemon here

T - Just like it smells its like drinking cold black coffee no real balance of coffee beans and any sort of a base beer

M - This beer has a thin watery body with medium carbonation to it

D - This was a waste of my money I could only drink half the pint before I sent it back to the bartender and ordered a new beer this is carbonated coffee not an amber stay away from this one

2.15/5  rDev -41.1%

On tap at the Saucer in Houston. Pours a light, clear, brown into the glass with a thin white head. Aroma smells like fat tire served out of a coffee urn. Flavor really rubs me the wrong way. The coffee flavor I get from this beer tastes like a pot of coffee that you left sitting over a weekend and then tried to reheat. I love that a brewery of New Belgium's size experiments with beers like this, but for me this one was a complete miss.

2.21/5  rDev -39.5%

Got this one as part of a combo 12 pack. I was surprised to find a brewer tossing espresso into an amber and wanted to try it - not suprisingly it didn't work. Pours a darker amber color but very translucent. The espresso is noticable but ends up being too much for such a light body. The ensuing lemon peel flavor doesn't help either as the contrast between the two aforementioned flavors is hardly tasty. A friend trying it on a blind taste test said it reminded him of soy sauce - no joke. A very confusing amber that I cannot recommend.

2.5/5  rDev -31.5%

Note: I am not a fan of coffee and I got four bottles of this in a folly pack. Was not expecting any coffee beer in a folly pack.

Appearance: Good color and head retention.

Smell: Lots of coffee.

Taste: Coffee dominates the flavor. Fairly unpleasant. Would be tough to give anything better than a 8/20 for flavor on the BJCP.

Do not recommend. Avoid the current folly pack.

2.98/5  rDev -18.4%

Got this in a pack of New Belgiums. Their newest folly! Hah!

A: Pours reddish brown. I had a hard time squeezing a lot of head out of it and it dissipated fast with almost no lacing on the glass.

S: Smells like a coffee shop. I guess that's sort of the point. I am not generally into this sort of thing, but damn, this smells good!

T: The espresso is at the core of this thing. In fact, it's completely overbearing despite the slight lemon and vanilla trying to balance it out. There's not a lot of complexity here, though, there's almost no bite to it, and honestly, it tastes sort of watery, like drinking watered down coffee with a lemon wedge in it. This one is just not doin' it for me. I prefer that my beer tastes like beer.

M: Thin, with a little carbonation that makes up for it. Not impressed.

D: Well, I could definitely pound these without really thinking about it, but I've come to expect more than that from New Belgium brews. Still, it's drinkable as a session beer, but I'd honestly rather just get Pabst or something cheap like that. As far as red ales go, this is nowhere close to something like, say, Cinder Cone, which is miles above this in terms of quality.

I'm pretty disappointed in this one. Maybe I got a bad bottle or something (if the next one is better, I'll be sure to edit this review to reflect that).

2.99/5  rDev -18.1%

Pours a brown with some garnet highlights. Nonexistent head but only a wisp of what was.

First aroma for me is sour to tart before coffee bean rises up out of the terroir. Some burnt caramel notes as well.

Mixed bag of ale, malt, coffee grounds and citrus. Medium roast coffee rises first followed by pale hop with a twist of lemon peel. Bordering on bitter sour. Astringent with some acrid bitterness.

Medium mouthfeel yet feels light hearted due to the citrus. Carbonation is flatlining leaving the feel somewhat creamy.

A 4.5 for effort here that wanes among a small gathering. Fun to try at a tasting for something different. This might be fun to try in a red-eye to give the coffee more base. Just reiterating, a 3 on this site is OK. Not horrible, jus not my cup of tea...er coffee. Coffee and lemon belong in the Turkish cup of pure joe in Madagascar.

3.03/5  rDev -17%

A: Pours a dark and clear ruby color. A two finger beige head forms and leaves some spotty lace.
S: Really not much there. Some biscuit malt and a bit of coffee.
T: Lots of strong acrid coffee. Light pale malty sweetness. No balance, and kind of an odd combination.
M/D A medium body, but over carbonated and thin for my tastes. The roasted coffee makes this a little hard to swallow. Something I find often with coffee infused beer.

This is a miss. An interesting idea, but does not really cut it in the end. New Belgium does better.

3.06/5  rDev -16.2%

On tap at BJ's, nice amber color and then a whiff of straight espresso. Amazingly one-dimensional in aroma, all espresso. The taste is complete espresso with a hint of citrus. The flavor and smell don't match the appearance at all, this was a weird beer.

3.07/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Pours a ruby red-brown with attractive and tall head. Lace is lovely and lattice-like.

Nose is malty and a little roasty. I get plenty of autumnal notes (appropriate as this is part of the Fall 2013 Folly Pack). There's caramel, wet leaves, and a definite touch of coffee.

Taste is sweet and malty, with coffee up front and a hint of citrus (lemongrass) under the palate. I get a cola-type vibe here, as the coffee isn't over-the-top, though it is present and accounted for. Body seems thin. My overall impression, oddly -- flat cola!

Overall, fair enough as an edgy brown ale, but not one I'd revisit.

3.17/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

New belgiums fall revival beer in their fall folly pack. Pours black with a white head thathangs around for awhile and leaves some lacing. Some light can penetrate through giving the beer an amber hue. Looks alot like coffee with a white head on it. Smells strongly of esspresso and some lemon at the end. Tastes like cold, carbonated coffee/esspresso. Even as the beer warmed this was the only flavor i could pick up from it. Kind of disappointed this beer didn't have more flavors coming through. Pretty solid mouthfeel and body. Carbonation fades quickly and gives it a thicker, chewy mouthfeel after the initial heavy carbonation. Overall, not impressed with this beer. It is just okay. Like drinking cold, carbonated coffee. Wish some of the lemon and other flavors came out and then I could see this being a better beer. Seems inconsistent between bottles. Some were more complex and the lemon as well as some hops come through with the coffee making the beer much more enjoyable on some bottles.

3.22/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

BA is telling me that this is retired already? Well, I hope she's fresh. She apparently came from a Fall Sampler Pack. Thank you, Dustin, for beer running in PA.

Very dark for an amber ale. Looks brown-red with good clarity. Foam amounted to half a finger, but it has a nice light tan color. Doesn't grip the glass wall too firmly.

Has a very standardized amber ale aroma. Toasted cereal, some mucky roast, something that could be attributed to light coffee, English toffee, earthiness in the presence of mild hopping, and some oxidation. Not picking up any real evidence of citrus or lemon, for that matter.

Quite bland for a beer called 'Giddy Up!'. I pick up a very restrained nuance of coffee, but not a true flavor of espresso. Maybe, coffee grounds. Hardly worth speaking about. The main components to the taste are aged malt grains, toast, English mustiness, browned apple, cardboard, and a light shandy-like note that insists that lemon peel is noticeable.

Nice wooly body with a good mouth of peppery carbonation that doesn't exceed its limits. Just a nice round feel.

Disappointing, but perhaps freshness is what's lacking here. Won't have another chance to give this the 'go-round'.

3.3/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: A clear and deep rust-colored body with a solid finger of eggshell head. Decent chunky lacing.

Aroma: Roasted malt body with lots of medium-roasted coffee. Not much as far as hops or lemon coming through, but the coffee is brilliant. In a blind smell test, there's an outside chance I'd peg this as coffee, not beer.

Taste: It's still very much all about the coffee in the flavor profile as well. The profile is of mildly bitter coffee flavors firmly in the medium-roasted coffee territory, so don't be expecting a dark-roasted espresso. The backbone is somewhat reminiscent of 1554 (although much weaker) and nicely sweet. There might be a splash of citrus in there, but it's hard to pin down.

Mouthfeel: A smooth, medium body with average carbonation.

Drinkability: Moderate drinkability. The coffee might get somewhat tiring after a while.

Verdict: Giddy Up is somewhat one-dimensional beer, but it does what it does perfectly, having the best recreation of coffee flavors I've ever experienced in a beer. If you're looking for medium-roasted coffee flavors in a beer, you can't go wrong here. It works perfectly as part of a mix-pack, but I'm not convinced I'd be picking up a lot of six-packs.

3.34/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Best by: FEB032013.

Saturated copper color, good clarity, some rising carbonation visible. Frothy collar of tan foam, spindly lace in the glass. Good surface coverage, creamy surface texture.

Earthy aroma of mild coffee, odd yeastiness.

Coffee is present in the taste, though subdued and mellow. Earthy mellow coffee and light toasted malt. Carbed a little high, it feels frothy across the palate. Overall its fun to try this retro beer, but wasn't all that exciting.

3.34/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12 oz single from a friends folly pak

A-pours a solid black color with some garnet hues with a tan 1 finger head
S- is roasted malts and espresso no lemon at all
T-tastes like a watery espresso sweet stout
M- touch bitter with coffee and roasted malts
O-a single brew is all i want from thisone

3.35/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a Nonic glass, it appeared a dark amber, almost brown color. The smell was heavy on the espresso, with a slight hint of citrus. The mouth feel was pretty normal with a fair bit of carbonation. As far as taste goes, I was pretty unimpressed. It didn't really taste like a beer, but more like watery espresso with a hint of lemon. The hops were virtually non existant, and the maltiness really didn't come through either. This is a beer I would recommend for people who don't like beer.

3.35/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bottle pour at the Protest Bottle Share For LA Beer Week held at Red Carpet Wine in Glendale, CA.

Best before 11/24/13.

Pours a clear light copper with a foamy khaki head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, coffee, and espresso aromas. Taste is much the same with coffee and espresso flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of roasty bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is an above average beer that tastes more like a coffee flavored soda than beer in my opinion.

3.4/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Coffee Amber. Very unique beer concept, nice to see them use local coffee as well. Pours a crystal clear amber color with a light off white head. Limited retention and lacing overall.

The nose is subtle with a slight coffee twist. Some strong kettle caramel notes and distinct Biscuit/Victory malt notes that seems to be in every NB beer. Some lighter nutty notes and distinct NB yeast as well. The coffee is limited with more of a herbal meets earthy appeal. A light earthy hop note helps bring out some of the coffee nose.

The taste comes out more and blends well. More of a subtle coffee flavor (which nice compared to those coffee bombs). A nice blend of malt and coffee with a more astringent bite at the end. The caramel backs off but the biscuit/victory comes out more. Some sugary notes, almost like brown sugar is a bit distracting. Smooth yeast notes but a touch of diactyl. The hops aren't really there but a hint of citrus zing, but there is a herbal spice on the backend that I can't place. My guess, ginseng.

The body is light to moderate light. Carbonation is a bit strong, would have liked to see that back off with the astringency in the finish. Overall very unique, but I think the coffee really could come out with more of a roast character versus the caramel. Fun idea.

3.48/5  rDev -4.7%

I had this at the 12th annual Parkway River Fall Festival, on tap.

It poured a hazy rddish brown with a small head of foam.

The smell was of coffee and some fruitiness. A little light on the nose but good.

The taste overwhelmed me with the coffee. Seriously, with the first few sips, I could taste nothing else. As it warmed up a bit, I did get some earthy and fruity tones but the coffee dominated everything at every stage.

Medium bodied and medium carbonated, it finished with a bitter coffee flavour that left a short aftertaste. By the time my glass was empty, I knew that a "refill" was not in order. 1 was enough. Someone else here said it reminded him of iced coffee and I totally concur.

Bottom line: If you're a fan of coffee, this one should please you as it doesn't get more coffee-like than this. For me, it was kind of over the top with coffee and I didn't find it all that drinkable. YMMV.

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

Nice copper color that has a bubbly creamy light tan head. Smells of coffee, and true the lemon does come out a wee bit in the nose, but is definitely more prominent in the aftertaste. The espresso adds a nice character to the flavor and drinkability of this brew.

Part of the Folly pack I picked up when I was out on the Oregon Coast. Wasn't sure what to make of it...but I knew I wouldn't be let down by the other three offerings in the pack.

Seriously, I think I could really like or really hate this been depending on the day. Today, it falls into the I like side of the fence. I can see why some folks didn't like this. But if you're a fan of iced tea or iced coffee, this beer is worth a try....and in the Folly Pack it worked out to less than one dollar...what a deal. Can't get prices like that at Starbucks.

It's akin to iced coffee, that someone snuck a lemon wedge into thinking it was iced tea.

3.51/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A- Dark ruby red color. 2 finger head on top. good lacing too.

S- Coffee bean aroma up front. A really great strong espresso smell. There is a hint of citrus hiding behind there.

T- It's an interesting flavor. The lemon peel is the flavor that really stands out to me. it's like an amber version of a Shocktop with a hint of roasted flavor.

M- It's solid on the palate. Very smooth.

O- This is a pretty good one. Super easy to drink. Has a nice just enough complexity to give it a well rounded rating.

3.52/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appears a deep amber with minimal head and nice clarity. Nose features mild espresso qualities along with some grainy malts, and some bright lemon zest notes. Taste has light fruity notes with some roasty notes. Espresso is present but mild. Lemon zest makes an appearance as well and makes for a mild flavor profile overall. Mouthfeel is light and mildly carbonated. Overall, some good things going on but everything is unfortunately bland.

3.53/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks goes out to Tolnik for this one.

Pours a nice clean/clear dark amber color, nice carbonation, nice little one-finger creamy off-white head, with some sticky lacing. The nose is malty, with coffee. The taste is malty, sweet, with coffee notes. Medium body. Drinkable, not too bad, but nothing I would drink again.

Giddy Up! from New Belgium Brewing