Giddy Up! - New Belgium Brewing

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Maudite on 08-22-2008)
1.65/5  rDev -54.2%

My new Brother in law gave me a couple of mix-a-sixes from Colorado for my "groomsman gift" (I was one of the ushers), and he thought that this one would pique my curiosity given my penchant for peculiar beers.

A - Deep burnished amber. This is nearly maroon in it's dark red intensity, and the head is a big fluffy three finger affair that shows decent retention after it drops to a thick foamy cap. A quick swirl brings up a full finger of head and leaves a good deal of lace on the glass.

S - Whoa! Now that smells CRAZY! The dominant note is of crushed espresso beans and it's exactly like sticking your nose into a bag of freshly ground dark roast. Also reminds me of those dark chocolate covered espresso beads. Honestly, the smell is wonderfully authentic but woefully one dimensional.

T - Ok. I've been giving this time to sink in after many sips... this one is just too weird. I can definitely taste espresso, but it's as if someone dumped a couple shots into a glass of V8 vegetable juice. I can detect rotten tomato ketchup-y flavors that do not complement the coffee notes in any way shape or form, and the combination of a lemon-y tang, malty sweetness, and bitter dark roast coffee is not good.

M - Medium bodied and foamy, this has a viscosity to it that does not help the vegetable juice flavors. This finishes terribly by leaving a rotten pukey foulness in the mouth with a lingering feeling of foamy thickness.

D - I'm glad that I got the chance to try it, but this is absolutely rot-gut. It's too bad too, since the nose is amazingly authentic and smells more like actual espresso beans than any other beer I've tried. It's pretty too, but those flavors just don't do it for me.

pmcadamis, Jan 04, 2009
2.2/5  rDev -38.9%

Got this one as part of a combo 12 pack. I was surprised to find a brewer tossing espresso into an amber and wanted to try it - not suprisingly it didn't work. Pours a darker amber color but very translucent. The espresso is noticable but ends up being too much for such a light body. The ensuing lemon peel flavor doesn't help either as the contrast between the two aforementioned flavors is hardly tasty. A friend trying it on a blind taste test said it reminded him of soy sauce - no joke. A very confusing amber that I cannot recommend.

HoppyMcStout, Dec 31, 2008
4.15/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

What a fascinating surprise! I bought a Folly Pack, expecting to find three Old Cherry's in it, and the OC had been replaced with this new beer.

Moderate pour into my New Belgium goblet yields a two-finger off-white head (fades fairly quickly) over a clear chestnut body. Decent appearance. Not much lacing.

Smell is strong and overtly coffee, and it smells good. Decent malty undertones, with hints of maybe Cascade hops.

Taste is like the smell, though not so strong; and the lemon peel is certainly there, though very subtle. This tasted so much like coffee, I considered putting cream and sugar in it. I really like the taste.

Weakest aspect of the beer is the mouthfeel. Pretty thin.

Very easy to drink. I want more of this.

ColoradoBobs, Dec 13, 2008

brownish with a red hue, little to no head to speak of.

smells of rish malts and a hint of hops. a nice coffee undertone is present can't really smell any lemon peel that should be present.

taste is smooth and rich of malts and a grainy taste. with a finish that will make any coffee lover happy. a hint of citrus in the background. I have to say this is one of the best coffee beers I've ever had. I've never seen c coffee beer that wasn't a stout.

mouth is medium and slightly oily but has a smooth finish and has superior drinkability. I wish I could get this in six packs and not only once in a blue moon on tap.

naterock, Dec 12, 2008
3.65/5  rDev +1.4%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck, typical New Belgium design, but the label has a giant chicken on a horse (or maybe a normal chicken on a very small horse?).

Appearance: Dark red, just a bit of brown, thin head, just a bit of lacing.

Smell: Coffee, a bit of fruit. Smells like an Americano with a bit of lemon.

Taste: Tons of coffee flavor - which is a bit strange in a beer this light in color. Tastes of espresso with a twist of lemon.

Overall impression: This is a very intesting beer - lots of interesting flavors - more coffee dominated than beer flavors, though. Still enjoyed it, and wouldn't mind see it in six packs.

rowew, Dec 07, 2008
2.9/5  rDev -19.4%

Got this in a pack of New Belgiums. Their newest folly! Hah!

A: Pours reddish brown. I had a hard time squeezing a lot of head out of it and it dissipated fast with almost no lacing on the glass.

S: Smells like a coffee shop. I guess that's sort of the point. I am not generally into this sort of thing, but damn, this smells good!

T: The espresso is at the core of this thing. In fact, it's completely overbearing despite the slight lemon and vanilla trying to balance it out. There's not a lot of complexity here, though, there's almost no bite to it, and honestly, it tastes sort of watery, like drinking watered down coffee with a lemon wedge in it. This one is just not doin' it for me. I prefer that my beer tastes like beer.

M: Thin, with a little carbonation that makes up for it. Not impressed.

D: Well, I could definitely pound these without really thinking about it, but I've come to expect more than that from New Belgium brews. Still, it's drinkable as a session beer, but I'd honestly rather just get Pabst or something cheap like that. As far as red ales go, this is nowhere close to something like, say, Cinder Cone, which is miles above this in terms of quality.

I'm pretty disappointed in this one. Maybe I got a bad bottle or something (if the next one is better, I'll be sure to edit this review to reflect that).

electricfields, Dec 07, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +9.7%

Okay this beer got to me. I love the smell of coffee but for some odd reason am not a real great conissour of coffee. I cannot seem to shake the fact that I had sampled what tastes like an espresso beer so late at night. I think there was too much esspresso in this beer.

skeetermoses, Dec 03, 2008
3.55/5  rDev -1.4%

This is from a growler brought home from Ft. Collins.
Pours a cloudy tan color with a decent amount of foam, but nothing too rocky.
The smells like sweet coffee...seriously.
If you've had coffee beers before, none of them have the sheer amount of coffee flavor this one does. No matter how dark and black they might be, this tan beer takes the cake. The problem is that this beer is also a bit of a one trick pony. It tastes like black coffee with a little sugar in it, but not much else. I don't get much in the way of hops and only the faintest hint of malt.
Pretty interesting, but certainly not something you'd probably want to make a session out of.
I like the idea of having this in bombers or part of variety packs, but there's pretty much no way I'd want a 6-pack.
Still, for what it is - this is the king of coffee brews.

Domingo, Nov 30, 2008
3.98/5  rDev +10.6%

12 oz. bottle came as a part of the Folly Pack.

Pours a dark clean amber with a small, cobwebby, egshell white head. Nose is a nice blend of caramel biscuit dough, fresh coffee, and some mild lemon zest. Taste follows the nose's lead. Caramelly biscuit dough malts impart a touch of sweetness. Roasted coffee bite swells mid-palate, with nice chocolate overtones. More biscuit and caramel sweetness in the finish, along with a hint of lemon and herbs, and a modest dose of espresso bitterness. Nice. Medium body goes down smoothly. Pretty good!

alexgash, Nov 28, 2008
4.7/5  rDev +30.6%

Had this on tap at the Ginger Man in Dallas.

I like the color, very dark/coffee amber. Decent head and lacing.

Smell of coffee/espesso, interesting malts, and hit of citrus. I like the strength of the coffee smell.

Taste wasn't as strong as the smell leads you to think it will be. That's a strong point, I think. Espresso comes through, but tempered with some vanilla/caramel hint. Just a pinch of hop there too, but doesn't hurt, just compliments.

Mouthfeel was just as it should be for this ale, smooth and easy. Medium bodied.

This is a very drinkable ale. I like the idea of a espresso ale for breakfast.

Most of the New Belgium offerings hit their mark, and this one does, dead on. I will definitely snag a case for the favorite ale 'fridge, when I can find it.

Iluvink, Nov 23, 2008

A - Poured out a cloudy, copper color with a foamy, bubbly, two-finger head. It left nice lace on the glass.

S - It smelled of expresso, lemon and some caramel malt. Very interesting.

T - It tasted of expresso, vanilla, caramel and some bitter hop kick. Great coffee flavor.

M - It was smooth and soft. A medium-bodied beer.

D - This is very unique and very good. I think it should be a regular release.

zeff80, Nov 15, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +18.1%

Had this one on tap at The Ginger Man....

pours up a red amber color with a decent off white head. decent lacing. the nose is sweet malts, coffee bean and brewed coffee aromas. the taste is espresso, coffee bean, vanilla, full bodied, medium carbo. I didn't really detect any lemon flavors or aromas but New Belgium holds a solid place in my book when they release good brews like this.

stumac, Nov 11, 2008
2.08/5  rDev -42.2%

On tap at the Saucer in Houston. Pours a light, clear, brown into the glass with a thin white head. Aroma smells like fat tire served out of a coffee urn. Flavor really rubs me the wrong way. The coffee flavor I get from this beer tastes like a pot of coffee that you left sitting over a weekend and then tried to reheat. I love that a brewery of New Belgium's size experiments with beers like this, but for me this one was a complete miss.

graham515, Nov 11, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +20.3%

I had this on tap at the Freakin Frog in Vegas. It was listed as an "ale with espresso", usually implying a coffee stout (at least to me) but this time it's an amber beer. The smell was very nice, malty with loads of coffee. The beer tastes mainly sweet, with a nice coffee after-taste that lasts a long time. Very good, even better than I expected, but then again I didn't know it was New Belgium (which would have raised expectations right away but this beer meets those standards).

TurdFurgison, Nov 08, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +9.7%

A: Dark copper-gold. Came to the table with little (off-white) head.
S: Smells of cream and coffee. For anyone who has been to Cold Stone Creamery, it smells like their Coffee Lovers special.
T: Tastes similar to the smell, with some toffee too. Not terribly complex but a good break from the other beers infused with coffee beans that I've had.
M: Light, carbonated.
D: Probably the best coffee-infused beer that I've had. Less complex--and thus easy to drink--but I prefer it over others that I find a bit overpowering.

lhaqq, Nov 06, 2008
3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into my nonic pint glass a clear brown amber color with about two fingers of tan head that quickly dissipates. Smells of toasted grains and mildly of coffee. The coffee/espresso flavor comes through more prominently in the taste and is followed by notes of bread, caramel malts, toffee, and lemon. Bitterness lingers through the finish. Medium in both body and carbonation. A unique tasting beer that I'm glad I had the chance to try.

ClockworkOrange, Nov 03, 2008
3.88/5  rDev +7.8%

Sampled on tap at 1702, Tucson AZ; October 2008
Arrives in the New Belgium Globe glass with a dark, brown color that shows a clear, rich, roasted red color when held up to the light. It is topped by a frothy, light tan colored head that has great staying power and never recedes past a full layer of froth. The aroma is so expressive of coffee, in fact this is the best expression of the coffee been that I have ever experienced in a beer; nutty, dark chocolate notes, even berry-like coffee derived notes are all noticeable and all distinctly derived from the roasted coffee bean. If you like coffee (especially something like a lighter city roast with a touch of roast), then the nose on this beer is just fantastic. It is quite one dimensional (you won't see me complaining about that though) and I don't even get a hint of any lemon zest.

The flavor is not quite as coffee focused, or really intense, as the aroma was, but it is still dominated by the coffee notes; flavors of toasted nuts and cocoa definitely stand out here. This beer is lightly sweet, which accentuates the cocoa notes a bit. Light and quaffable, but with enough body to keep things interesting (just a hint of a viscous heft). The roast notes add some bitterness to the finish. As the beer warms some berry like fruitiness mixes in with the coffee notes, but I still can't pull out any citrus. Objectively, this beer has lots of roast character for a beer of this color, it is a very smooth roast character though. This was definitely enjoyable, I easily drank two pints of this, but the aroma is clearly heads and tails more appealing than the flavor to me.

Gueuzedude, Oct 25, 2008
3.03/5  rDev -15.8%

A: Pours a dark and clear ruby color. A two finger beige head forms and leaves some spotty lace.
S: Really not much there. Some biscuit malt and a bit of coffee.
T: Lots of strong acrid coffee. Light pale malty sweetness. No balance, and kind of an odd combination.
M/D A medium body, but over carbonated and thin for my tastes. The roasted coffee makes this a little hard to swallow. Something I find often with coffee infused beer.

This is a miss. An interesting idea, but does not really cut it in the end. New Belgium does better.

champ103, Oct 22, 2008
3.73/5  rDev +3.6%

Rich Ruby coloration with a good head when poured into a pint glass. The head reduces to wisps of lacing about the glass. It had a good balance of malt and low hops. There is a distinct expresso taste while sipping it. The only zest comes at the end when it shows the lemon. There is a distinct expresso aftertaste with little hop.

Tolnik, Oct 19, 2008
4.08/5  rDev +13.3%

Sampled at the San Antonio Flying Saucer

A: Dark amber, almost black but with clarity, with a lasting creamy tan head that laced a bit.

S: Roasted coffee and lemon, as advertised, with a 'beery' yeasty edge.

T: The coffee come on strong, but doesn't overwhelm. Very mild cirtic edge, if I hadn't been told I probably wouldn't have noticed. Beyond the coffee flavor, no a lot noted.

M: Carbonation was a bit high, but not outrageous. Medium body.

O: I liked it! I'll be watching to see if we get bottles and will gladly grab a sixer or two. Glad to see NB trying new things and scoffing at style restrictions.

HardTarget, Oct 10, 2008

I'd like to thank our NB rep, Jeff, for this sample.

a: Dark ruby body, thin cream colored head.

s: Caramel, espresso, toast, toffee, maybe a hint of cocoa and a kiss of lemon.

t: A mesh of caramel and espresso up front. Light lemon notes in the middle with creamy latte in the finish. Somehow, all these flavors work out. cool.

m: thin, but it works, allows you to focus on the nuance of the flavor profile.

d: Expecting this to be a bit of a train wreck, I came away from this pleasantly surprised. The flavors are subtle, not overbearing and I think this is key for them to play off each other so well. I really like this, good work NB.

BradLikesBrew, Sep 30, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +17.2%

A - Pours a clear, dark amber with a creamy off-white head. Head retention is decent and lacing is plentiful.

S - Espresso mostly, with some caramel mixed in there as well.

T - The espresso flavor dominates. It's very rich, but not overpowering. A dash of malty caramel comes through in the flavor. Not much hop presence, but that's okay. I think hops would be out of their element in this beer. Supposedly, there's some lemon peel in there as well, but I couldn't taste or smell it.

M - Medium-bodied with a smooth, medium-dry finish. The espresso flavors linger on the palate ever so slightly.

D - I really enjoyed this one. It's very smooth and positively delicious! I'll definately be having more of this in the future.

pwsoldier, Sep 26, 2008
3.05/5  rDev -15.3%

On tap at BJ's, nice amber color and then a whiff of straight espresso. Amazingly one-dimensional in aroma, all espresso. The taste is complete espresso with a hint of citrus. The flavor and smell don't match the appearance at all, this was a weird beer.

ArrogantB, Sep 25, 2008
3.55/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Dark brown with reddish highlighting. White head isn't long for this world with the large bubbles and general thinness. Retention is a nil.

It smells like a weakly brewed, pre-ground, mass-produced coffee. Old Folgers, for instance. There's some cream and mild sweetness as well as some softer elements, but the primary character is a poorly roasted, slightly burned barley.

Plenty of coffee to hang your hat on, along with sweeter, toffee malts. The lemon is swallowed up (pretty predictable), while the cream emerges later on, as the coffee bitterness gives a little away to the sweet side.

Mouthfeel is moderately thin, probably in the medium range, but who can tell what style this is. The citrus really only serves to thin this one out I think.

Finish is again mostly coffee - I stress that this isn't strong, black, complex java here - with some alcohol peppers.

I would call this a brown ale moreso than amber/red. The coffee flavors are way too heavy for the latter. I adore coffee beers, and don't find even the most bitter like Peche Mortel to be "not beery enough". I just didn't think the Giddy Up! was well conceived.

BretSikkink, Sep 21, 2008
1.3/5  rDev -63.9%

On-tap at Naja's.

A ruddy amber colored beer, some fizz but little head.

Smells like my coffee pot when I rinse out the old cold coffee. Good god, yuk!

Very little "beer" (of any style) flavor here. Malt sweetness is absent, just a little cardboardy grainy husky flavor. Hops - none. Interesting yeast derived flavors - none. Coffee flavors dominate, but not in a good full bodied coffee way, more like a watered down leftover coffee way. There is also a slight sourness that reminded me of when I run vinegar through the coffe pot to clean it. Imagine 1 part burnt coffee, 1 part Fat Tire, 1 part water, a drop of distilled vinegar.

Mouthfeel was thin, finish was dry.

Drinkability, none. After a couple back-up sips to confirm my initial perceptions it got dumped.

To their credit, At least NBB is doing some weird stuff. Sometimes they get a pretty good one, but the Giddy Up is just awful as far as I'm concerned!

dac, Sep 18, 2008