Giddy Up! - New Belgium Brewing

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Maudite on 08-22-2008)
skeetermoses

Oklahoma

3.95/5  rDev +9.7%

Okay this beer got to me. I love the smell of coffee but for some odd reason am not a real great conissour of coffee. I cannot seem to shake the fact that I had sampled what tastes like an espresso beer so late at night. I think there was too much esspresso in this beer.

12-03-2008 04:23:19 | More by skeetermoses
Domingo

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%

This is from a growler brought home from Ft. Collins.
Pours a cloudy tan color with a decent amount of foam, but nothing too rocky.
The smells like sweet coffee...seriously.
If you've had coffee beers before, none of them have the sheer amount of coffee flavor this one does. No matter how dark and black they might be, this tan beer takes the cake. The problem is that this beer is also a bit of a one trick pony. It tastes like black coffee with a little sugar in it, but not much else. I don't get much in the way of hops and only the faintest hint of malt.
Pretty interesting, but certainly not something you'd probably want to make a session out of.
I like the idea of having this in bombers or part of variety packs, but there's pretty much no way I'd want a 6-pack.
Still, for what it is - this is the king of coffee brews.

11-30-2008 15:20:08 | More by Domingo
alexgash

Connecticut

3.98/5  rDev +10.6%

12 oz. bottle came as a part of the Folly Pack.

Pours a dark clean amber with a small, cobwebby, egshell white head. Nose is a nice blend of caramel biscuit dough, fresh coffee, and some mild lemon zest. Taste follows the nose's lead. Caramelly biscuit dough malts impart a touch of sweetness. Roasted coffee bite swells mid-palate, with nice chocolate overtones. More biscuit and caramel sweetness in the finish, along with a hint of lemon and herbs, and a modest dose of espresso bitterness. Nice. Medium body goes down smoothly. Pretty good!

11-28-2008 23:11:20 | More by alexgash
Iluvink

4.7/5  rDev +30.6%

Had this on tap at the Ginger Man in Dallas.

I like the color, very dark/coffee amber. Decent head and lacing.

Smell of coffee/espesso, interesting malts, and hit of citrus. I like the strength of the coffee smell.

Taste wasn't as strong as the smell leads you to think it will be. That's a strong point, I think. Espresso comes through, but tempered with some vanilla/caramel hint. Just a pinch of hop there too, but doesn't hurt, just compliments.

Mouthfeel was just as it should be for this ale, smooth and easy. Medium bodied.

This is a very drinkable ale. I like the idea of a espresso ale for breakfast.

Most of the New Belgium offerings hit their mark, and this one does, dead on. I will definitely snag a case for the favorite ale 'fridge, when I can find it.

11-23-2008 17:04:28 | More by Iluvink
zeff80

Missouri

A - Poured out a cloudy, copper color with a foamy, bubbly, two-finger head. It left nice lace on the glass.

S - It smelled of expresso, lemon and some caramel malt. Very interesting.

T - It tasted of expresso, vanilla, caramel and some bitter hop kick. Great coffee flavor.

M - It was smooth and soft. A medium-bodied beer.

D - This is very unique and very good. I think it should be a regular release.

11-15-2008 21:41:41 | More by zeff80
stumac

4.25/5  rDev +18.1%

Had this one on tap at The Ginger Man....

pours up a red amber color with a decent off white head. decent lacing. the nose is sweet malts, coffee bean and brewed coffee aromas. the taste is espresso, coffee bean, vanilla, full bodied, medium carbo. I didn't really detect any lemon flavors or aromas but New Belgium holds a solid place in my book when they release good brews like this.

11-11-2008 21:19:00 | More by stumac
graham515

2.08/5  rDev -42.2%

On tap at the Saucer in Houston. Pours a light, clear, brown into the glass with a thin white head. Aroma smells like fat tire served out of a coffee urn. Flavor really rubs me the wrong way. The coffee flavor I get from this beer tastes like a pot of coffee that you left sitting over a weekend and then tried to reheat. I love that a brewery of New Belgium's size experiments with beers like this, but for me this one was a complete miss.

11-11-2008 20:03:53 | More by graham515
TurdFurgison

4.33/5  rDev +20.3%

I had this on tap at the Freakin Frog in Vegas. It was listed as an "ale with espresso", usually implying a coffee stout (at least to me) but this time it's an amber beer. The smell was very nice, malty with loads of coffee. The beer tastes mainly sweet, with a nice coffee after-taste that lasts a long time. Very good, even better than I expected, but then again I didn't know it was New Belgium (which would have raised expectations right away but this beer meets those standards).

11-08-2008 07:51:45 | More by TurdFurgison
lhaqq

3.95/5  rDev +9.7%

A: Dark copper-gold. Came to the table with little (off-white) head.
S: Smells of cream and coffee. For anyone who has been to Cold Stone Creamery, it smells like their Coffee Lovers special.
T: Tastes similar to the smell, with some toffee too. Not terribly complex but a good break from the other beers infused with coffee beans that I've had.
M: Light, carbonated.
D: Probably the best coffee-infused beer that I've had. Less complex--and thus easy to drink--but I prefer it over others that I find a bit overpowering.

11-06-2008 02:56:54 | More by lhaqq
ClockworkOrange

3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into my nonic pint glass a clear brown amber color with about two fingers of tan head that quickly dissipates. Smells of toasted grains and mildly of coffee. The coffee/espresso flavor comes through more prominently in the taste and is followed by notes of bread, caramel malts, toffee, and lemon. Bitterness lingers through the finish. Medium in both body and carbonation. A unique tasting beer that I'm glad I had the chance to try.

11-03-2008 16:16:05 | More by ClockworkOrange
Gueuzedude

Arizona

3.88/5  rDev +7.8%

Sampled on tap at 1702, Tucson AZ; October 2008
Arrives in the New Belgium Globe glass with a dark, brown color that shows a clear, rich, roasted red color when held up to the light. It is topped by a frothy, light tan colored head that has great staying power and never recedes past a full layer of froth. The aroma is so expressive of coffee, in fact this is the best expression of the coffee been that I have ever experienced in a beer; nutty, dark chocolate notes, even berry-like coffee derived notes are all noticeable and all distinctly derived from the roasted coffee bean. If you like coffee (especially something like a lighter city roast with a touch of roast), then the nose on this beer is just fantastic. It is quite one dimensional (you won't see me complaining about that though) and I don't even get a hint of any lemon zest.

The flavor is not quite as coffee focused, or really intense, as the aroma was, but it is still dominated by the coffee notes; flavors of toasted nuts and cocoa definitely stand out here. This beer is lightly sweet, which accentuates the cocoa notes a bit. Light and quaffable, but with enough body to keep things interesting (just a hint of a viscous heft). The roast notes add some bitterness to the finish. As the beer warms some berry like fruitiness mixes in with the coffee notes, but I still can't pull out any citrus. Objectively, this beer has lots of roast character for a beer of this color, it is a very smooth roast character though. This was definitely enjoyable, I easily drank two pints of this, but the aroma is clearly heads and tails more appealing than the flavor to me.

10-25-2008 02:19:18 | More by Gueuzedude
champ103

3.03/5  rDev -15.8%

A: Pours a dark and clear ruby color. A two finger beige head forms and leaves some spotty lace.
S: Really not much there. Some biscuit malt and a bit of coffee.
T: Lots of strong acrid coffee. Light pale malty sweetness. No balance, and kind of an odd combination.
M/D A medium body, but over carbonated and thin for my tastes. The roasted coffee makes this a little hard to swallow. Something I find often with coffee infused beer.

This is a miss. An interesting idea, but does not really cut it in the end. New Belgium does better.

10-22-2008 04:00:13 | More by champ103
Tolnik

3.73/5  rDev +3.6%

Rich Ruby coloration with a good head when poured into a pint glass. The head reduces to wisps of lacing about the glass. It had a good balance of malt and low hops. There is a distinct expresso taste while sipping it. The only zest comes at the end when it shows the lemon. There is a distinct expresso aftertaste with little hop.

10-19-2008 22:15:04 | More by Tolnik
HardTarget

4.08/5  rDev +13.3%

Sampled at the San Antonio Flying Saucer

A: Dark amber, almost black but with clarity, with a lasting creamy tan head that laced a bit.

S: Roasted coffee and lemon, as advertised, with a 'beery' yeasty edge.

T: The coffee come on strong, but doesn't overwhelm. Very mild cirtic edge, if I hadn't been told I probably wouldn't have noticed. Beyond the coffee flavor, no a lot noted.

M: Carbonation was a bit high, but not outrageous. Medium body.

O: I liked it! I'll be watching to see if we get bottles and will gladly grab a sixer or two. Glad to see NB trying new things and scoffing at style restrictions.

10-10-2008 03:55:55 | More by HardTarget
BradLikesBrew

Missouri

I'd like to thank our NB rep, Jeff, for this sample.

a: Dark ruby body, thin cream colored head.

s: Caramel, espresso, toast, toffee, maybe a hint of cocoa and a kiss of lemon.

t: A mesh of caramel and espresso up front. Light lemon notes in the middle with creamy latte in the finish. Somehow, all these flavors work out. cool.

m: thin, but it works, allows you to focus on the nuance of the flavor profile.

d: Expecting this to be a bit of a train wreck, I came away from this pleasantly surprised. The flavors are subtle, not overbearing and I think this is key for them to play off each other so well. I really like this, good work NB.

09-30-2008 00:24:55 | More by BradLikesBrew
pwsoldier

4.22/5  rDev +17.2%

A - Pours a clear, dark amber with a creamy off-white head. Head retention is decent and lacing is plentiful.

S - Espresso mostly, with some caramel mixed in there as well.

T - The espresso flavor dominates. It's very rich, but not overpowering. A dash of malty caramel comes through in the flavor. Not much hop presence, but that's okay. I think hops would be out of their element in this beer. Supposedly, there's some lemon peel in there as well, but I couldn't taste or smell it.

M - Medium-bodied with a smooth, medium-dry finish. The espresso flavors linger on the palate ever so slightly.

D - I really enjoyed this one. It's very smooth and positively delicious! I'll definately be having more of this in the future.

09-25-2008 23:16:33 | More by pwsoldier
ArrogantB

3.05/5  rDev -15.3%

On tap at BJ's, nice amber color and then a whiff of straight espresso. Amazingly one-dimensional in aroma, all espresso. The taste is complete espresso with a hint of citrus. The flavor and smell don't match the appearance at all, this was a weird beer.

09-25-2008 04:36:19 | More by ArrogantB
BretSikkink

Mexico

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%

Dark brown with reddish highlighting. White head isn't long for this world with the large bubbles and general thinness. Retention is a nil.

It smells like a weakly brewed, pre-ground, mass-produced coffee. Old Folgers, for instance. There's some cream and mild sweetness as well as some softer elements, but the primary character is a poorly roasted, slightly burned barley.

Plenty of coffee to hang your hat on, along with sweeter, toffee malts. The lemon is swallowed up (pretty predictable), while the cream emerges later on, as the coffee bitterness gives a little away to the sweet side.

Mouthfeel is moderately thin, probably in the medium range, but who can tell what style this is. The citrus really only serves to thin this one out I think.

Finish is again mostly coffee - I stress that this isn't strong, black, complex java here - with some alcohol peppers.

I would call this a brown ale moreso than amber/red. The coffee flavors are way too heavy for the latter. I adore coffee beers, and don't find even the most bitter like Peche Mortel to be "not beery enough". I just didn't think the Giddy Up! was well conceived.

09-21-2008 05:17:20 | More by BretSikkink
dac

1.3/5  rDev -63.9%

On-tap at Naja's.

A ruddy amber colored beer, some fizz but little head.

Smells like my coffee pot when I rinse out the old cold coffee. Good god, yuk!

Very little "beer" (of any style) flavor here. Malt sweetness is absent, just a little cardboardy grainy husky flavor. Hops - none. Interesting yeast derived flavors - none. Coffee flavors dominate, but not in a good full bodied coffee way, more like a watered down leftover coffee way. There is also a slight sourness that reminded me of when I run vinegar through the coffe pot to clean it. Imagine 1 part burnt coffee, 1 part Fat Tire, 1 part water, a drop of distilled vinegar.

Mouthfeel was thin, finish was dry.

Drinkability, none. After a couple back-up sips to confirm my initial perceptions it got dumped.

To their credit, At least NBB is doing some weird stuff. Sometimes they get a pretty good one, but the Giddy Up is just awful as far as I'm concerned!

09-17-2008 23:16:17 | More by dac
Bitterbill

Wyoming

3.48/5  rDev -3.3%

I had this at the 12th annual Parkway River Fall Festival, on tap.

It poured a hazy rddish brown with a small head of foam.

The smell was of coffee and some fruitiness. A little light on the nose but good.

The taste overwhelmed me with the coffee. Seriously, with the first few sips, I could taste nothing else. As it warmed up a bit, I did get some earthy and fruity tones but the coffee dominated everything at every stage.

Medium bodied and medium carbonated, it finished with a bitter coffee flavour that left a short aftertaste. By the time my glass was empty, I knew that a "refill" was not in order. 1 was enough. Someone else here said it reminded him of iced coffee and I totally concur.

Bottom line: If you're a fan of coffee, this one should please you as it doesn't get more coffee-like than this. For me, it was kind of over the top with coffee and I didn't find it all that drinkable. YMMV.

09-13-2008 21:11:41 | More by Bitterbill
Oxymoron

3.4/5  rDev -5.6%

Coffee Amber. Very unique beer concept, nice to see them use local coffee as well. Pours a crystal clear amber color with a light off white head. Limited retention and lacing overall.

The nose is subtle with a slight coffee twist. Some strong kettle caramel notes and distinct Biscuit/Victory malt notes that seems to be in every NB beer. Some lighter nutty notes and distinct NB yeast as well. The coffee is limited with more of a herbal meets earthy appeal. A light earthy hop note helps bring out some of the coffee nose.

The taste comes out more and blends well. More of a subtle coffee flavor (which nice compared to those coffee bombs). A nice blend of malt and coffee with a more astringent bite at the end. The caramel backs off but the biscuit/victory comes out more. Some sugary notes, almost like brown sugar is a bit distracting. Smooth yeast notes but a touch of diactyl. The hops aren't really there but a hint of citrus zing, but there is a herbal spice on the backend that I can't place. My guess, ginseng.

The body is light to moderate light. Carbonation is a bit strong, would have liked to see that back off with the astringency in the finish. Overall very unique, but I think the coffee really could come out with more of a roast character versus the caramel. Fun idea.

09-12-2008 23:12:39 | More by Oxymoron
Zeckster

4.08/5  rDev +13.3%

Had this at New Belgium. One of their four samples. The servers said it would be available for general purchase soon enough.

Now onto the beer. It was darker than Fat Tire (a little more amber). Had a slight espresso smell (of course) but nothing over powering. Still just a slight coffee taste and very drinkable. I really liked that the coffee didn't overwhelm the beer. It was more about a nice beer with a hint of coffee instead of the other way around.

Too bad that New Belgium doesn't distribute past Tennessee, but I look forward to that day.

09-06-2008 22:59:59 | More by Zeckster
pleasewearpants

3.9/5  rDev +8.3%

Nice mellow nose with light hints of coffee (duh) and maybe a little vanilla. The color is a warm ever so lightly milky amber. Taste is fantastic. Coffee seems to typically be used in porters and stouts and makes for a really rich and warming beer (like Speedway Stout!). This on the other hand has a great balanced body. The espresso taste is prominent but it somehow makes this beer extremely drinkable. It felt like chocolate/coffee milk but far less oily or chewy than normal coffee applications. Definitely more of an early fall session beer. I'm getting some bottles soon and am interested to see how they fare but on tap this one is fantastic!

09-06-2008 07:57:34 | More by pleasewearpants
Floydster

Had a few glasses of this at Naja's Place in Redondo Beach last night during happy hour, bartender said it was a brown ale infused with espresso beans and lemons

A-Ruby red and brown in color, thin 1/2 inch off white ubbly head that did not last long, not much retention, some lacing at first
S-First and foremost there is espresso, caramel, toffee, lemon, cream, dark roasted accents, toast, hint of sugar, and burned malts
T-Initial taste was coffee, then an amber or red ale-like middle with some caramel malt and some notes of brown sugar, on the verge of being chewy, the finish is dry with espresso and some citrus, lemon comes out more later but is evident all the way through, got slightly sweeter as it warmed but coffee stood its ground
M-Not much carbonation, thin to medium body, mouthfeel is dry and slightly citrusy, coffee dominates the sensation, taste lingers a long time
D-Goes down pretty easily at first but then becomes a little heavy, coffee flavor can get tiresome even though it is smooth, alcohol is hidden well

Happy and surprised to see this was not a specialty beer when we got there because we were able to get some pitchers and not pay eight dollars per glass, the most unique offering from New Belgium that I have had and probably most interesting thing I have drank in a while period, would drink again if I ever see it, recommended

09-04-2008 18:53:15 | More by Floydster
bradford

4.03/5  rDev +11.9%

On tap at Naja's on 9/3/08.
Looked good. I had no idea what it was but ordered it because I was curious. Dark red, similar to Fat Tire, but slightly darker.
Smelled like strong coffee, maybe some vanilla, kind of hard to get too much of a smell with the two broads smoking right next to us.
Taste was like a cup of weak coffee. Meaning that this was the most coffee I have ever tasted in a beer. It was fantastic the way the malt and coffee jumped back and forth. I was very impressed and shocked. I had no idea it was a coffee beer until that first sip.
Mouthfeel was good. Smooth, very similar to Fat Tire.
The drinkability suffered because the beer just got a bit old after a while. It was so intense with coffee that it almost got a bit obnoxious. Still a very good beer and I would try it again if I ever see it, which may be never.
Recommended