Bottleworks 10th Anniversary Wild Ale - New Belgium Brewing

American Wild Ale |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-11-2009

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.8/5  rDev +9.3%

Huge thanks to tex for this in a trade well over a yr ago!

A-Body is a very foggy, nearly, opaque, dark, dingy, amber hue. Pours with a one finger nearly off-white head and leaves plenty of lacing all the way down the glass.

S- Overall impression of the nose is slightly sweet. Apricot, peach, oak, vanilla, slight acidic tartness, slight vinegar, funky brett- pear, apple.

T- Flavor profile is moderate in strength and leans toward being more sour than balanced-but is very complex. The acidic tartness is the highlight but does not mask what is beneath it. Flavors of lemon, vanilla,bready yeast and oak are in the background-and apple and pear deep in the background. The sourness goes on and on but a some mild oak and a hint of vanilla linger as well.

M- Moderate tingly carbonation, with a medium weight yeasty, and very smooth consistency.

D- This is an awesome sour. Good complexity to it. Lots of tartness with a nice sweet background. One of my favorite of the style so far- too bad this is a one time release! (1,025 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +2.5%

A-dark hazy amber color with a dense fluffy off white head and thick lace

S-light notes of funk right up front, acetic acid, sour apple and pear notes, earthy wood.

T-taste in quite balanced, sour apple, notes of pear, acetic, touch of woodiness, hints of spice, nice sourness in the finish.

M-great feel, soft and prickly, medium to full with a nice level of carbonation that holds throughout but allows the flavors to really show.

D-this has a great complexity mixing acetic flavors with good sweetness and nice light wood tones. very well done. (551 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -15.9%

Had this beer previously on tap at Brouwer's. The bottled version struck me as a bit more intense and sour then the draft version, which may simply be the result of additional aging.

The beer pours an orange copper color with fair head retention and minimal lacing. The nose on this beer is just wild, with a huge aroma of lemon, vinegar and apple peel. Welcome to sour funkville boys and girls. On the palate, I felt as if I'd been slapped. This beer is bracingly sour, with an intense lemon/lime flavor that dominate everything else. Mouthfeel is very light and zippy, with the beer showing plenty of flavor. However, the sour component is really over the top in this beer, which at least for me, hurts its drinkability.

Definitely for sour funk lovers only... (766 characters)

4.28/5  rDev -2.5%

Another great sour for our graduation tasting. Split the 750 mL bottle four ways. Poured into tulip glasses.

A- Pours a clear amber color. Produced two fingers width of white head. Produced some thick lacing, eventually reduced to a thick ring throughout consumption.

S- Pleasant mix of cherry / raspberry fruit with a bit of lemon and mild barnyard funk presence. Definite oak presence.

T- Off the bat picking up sour lemons and cherry / raspberry fruit. Like the aroma, there is a slight amount of barnyard funk. The sourness really builds in this one. Very acidic.

M- Light bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Felt rather refreshing on the palate. Finishes semi-dry.

D- This one really tested my stomach. As stated above, very acidic, but still manageable.

Overall, a pretty solid offering. Intense, but just enough complexity to give it some depth. Well done. (877 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Huge thanks to brother treyrab for pulling this off the old dusty shelf.

This beer looks stunning. A beautiful hazy copper with a finger full of light corn yellow head. This beer is goddess like, I just want to taste it...

The smell is superb. Great funky characteristics. A really nice horse hair, straw like scent that really pulls the nose in. There's a stinky cheese scent that I find in some of my favorite wild ales. A light sweetness falls behind all of this, and really makes for a nice well rounded scent.

The taste starts off as a disappointment, but I grow more and more fond of it as it warms. The taste is short but, the sourness is all there. As it nears room temperature the sweetness starts to turn and a nice cherry flavor rises out. The cheesy funk that was present in the smell is also here in the taste. I'm really enjoying the sharp dryness, and could drink this all night. If only it were possible... (926 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -13.7%

Dyan shared this one last Friday. Thanks, dogg.

A hazy pinkish-red beer topped by a finger of white foam. The head dies down pretty quickly, reducing to a small ring. The aroma is acetic with a ton of strawberry-like fruitiness. Light barnyard funk and sweet fruits dominate the aroma, not a ton of complexity, but it's pleasant. The taste opens with sweet and tart fruit flavors (strawberry, cherry) and a kick of acetic acid. Vinegary, fruity, and hard on the stomach. Spritzy light body, but heavy on the palate. Finishes with intense vinegary acidity and sourness. I enjoyed this, but it's not something I'd seek out again. (628 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to 5000 (RB), I managed to get a bottle that I shared with Chris and Shane this past weekend

Light cherry red with a dense white head with great retention and some lace. The head recedes to a disk, and this extremely clear beer is quite attractive. The nose is chock-full of cherries with bright acidity. Sour fruits and berries, with strawberries and cherries dominate the palate. Acetic character increases as it warms up. The combination of sweetness and tartness is excellent, and reminiscent of the Le Terroir that I drank nary 6 hours ago. The palate opens with plenty of acetic character with a lot of strawberry vinaigrette. Probably the not the most complex of flavors, but still very good. Acetic and drying on the finish, with an intense fruity, acetic character (have I said that enough already), this beer is great. Medium light in body with a rather high level of carbonation, I find the acetic character a bit much, and for that reason, I don't see myself drinking too much of this.

** 26 March 2011**
Thanks again, Joe.

Completely unlike I remember it being, this is an earthy, mineraly and surprisingly lemony sour. Yes, the re's an acetic acid, but it's not as fruity. Some caramel, some brown sugar and a little vanilla are present. The palate's sour and acetic, but different, less fruity and more vinous. Drying and acetic on the finish, this is one intense beast. I like this more than the Falling Rock 10th.
4.5/4/4/4/4 (1,454 characters)

This was one of many rare wild/sour/lambic/gueuze I drank over the weekend and while this was not the best it was one of the most sour. The color seemed a lot lighter than La Folie and a little closer to Le Terroir. It smells super sour but without the hint of glue and lemons I get from la Folie. The flavor is puckery green apples and gives me sour gueuze face. I prefer Le Terroir but this was a nice blend and certainly quite sour. (435 characters)

4.23/5  rDev -3.6%

Big thanks go out to Joe for sharing this at a sour tasting. Pours into my glass a brilliant orange red akin to a fall sunset with some bubbles on top. Aromas start out with an acidic funkiness upfront alongside light fruitiness and some crisp grain malts.

First sip brings a flow of super complex flavors with sour and bright acidic vinegar notes making their way across the palate. Barnyard accents along with a mellow fruit flavor throughout. There's a biting deep tart finish to the brew. Immense in flavor and very enjoyable. Oaky accents with a dry, acidic vinegar finish.

Mouthfeel is spritzy and effervescent with a medium body. Quite a tasty brew here that I have no problem drinking. Really glad I got to try this one. (730 characters)

4.28/5  rDev -2.5%

ON tap at Bottleworks in Seattle. Apparently this is a custom blend of the 2nd, 3rd, and 13th foeder in the New Belgium brewery, custom blended by the Bottleworks guys and spiked with brett on bottling. Reviewed from notes.

A - Rich copper orange. Thick, dense white head. Medium retention. Thick collar & spotty lacing.

S - Vinegar & funk. Tangerine & lemon peel. Some subtle breadiness. Very citrusy.

T - Big citrus flavors. Tangerine, orange, and lemon. Mild brett funk. Slightly sweet. More tangy than sour.

M - Light and soft. Fluffy carbonation. Dry, quick finish.

D - Very high. More drinkable than La Folie, even.

It was a real surprise that they had this on tap, and I'm very glad I tried it. A fine wild ale for sure. (733 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +1.8%

Thanks to Jay and Joe for the opportunity to try this very special bottle! Review is from notes... Attractive dark orange body with lots of visible carbonation. Maybe an inch of foam that remains for a little while. Unique and wild nose, horsey, underripe peaches, sandalwood incense and rotting fruits in the sun. First sips bring a sharp acidity that stimulates the salivary glands, some grape, peach pit, and a moderate level of palate-scrubbing bubbles in it's dry finish. Puckering, piercing tartness, yet also savory and quenching. The acidity is well in check, and it's reminiscent of La Folie, though a distant relation. (628 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +2.5%

Sampled June 2009
A solid, though not aggressive, pour into my large Tripel Karmeliet Tulip produces an almost four-finger thick, nicely tan colored head. The head slowly subsides with a rocky texture and leaves a nice lacing pattern on the sides of my glass. The beer is a burnished, dark amber, red tinged color that shows a hazy'ish, light cranberry red hue when held up to the light. Even as I pour this I get a nice scent of Brettanomyces funk that is quite inviting. Big lactic sourness mixes with sharp notes of urea, musk and phenolic soaked musty cotton. The aroma is actually quite Gueuze like, and I don't mean just any Gueuze, but a good, solidly funky example whose aroma will keep my quite happily occupied for quite some time. A background of spicy oak, a woody mushroom wildness as well as some freshly crushed grain aromatics, a nice grassy / dried hay component are also quite prominent if you spend some time exploring the nuances. I like how funky this is, it really has a vibrant character to it; a fine mix of butyric acid and urea type notes provide a strong, musky note that any Lambic lover should crave.

Bracingly tart, which I was ready for based on the nose, this beer makes my mouth pucker up quite nicely. The beer is fairly light bodied, and if not for the aggressive lactic sourness, this would be as quaffable as water. While the sourness is nice and hard, it is not too much for this lover of hard-Lambics. The body is also not thin as it has a tannic structure from the oak as well as certain slickness from the lactic acid that provides just enough body. This is well carbonated underneath the acidity, which contributes an amply prickly sensation as well as boosting the peppery finish. While the beer has a fair amount of color to it, it doesn't have much to it that reminds me of the more malty Flemish Sours. In fact the flavor once again reinforces the Lambic / Gueuze qualities that I noticed in the nose. A touch of dried grass, and freshly crushed grain husk flavors can be found in the finish at times, but overall the fresh malt contribution is quite subtle here. There is perhaps a touch of acetic acidity here, but it is very soft (especially considering I was expecting much more from the New Belgium Barrels), this is really much more lactic in character and is a big departure from the bottles of La Folie that I have had over the years. Again, the acid balance is nicely in line with a Gueuze, but there is just enough acetic character to provide a round fruitiness to the beer that can just remind one of a wine-vinegar.

Enough focus on the acidity, there is also a ton of funkiness to this brew. Notes of urea are found throughout the flavor profile and there is a huge, musky, dried sweat soaked leather, a woody & phenolic mushroom character, . There is also a substantial tannic note here that even coats the teeth a bit, it is wrapped up in a solid oak character that plays a supporting role in this beer. The oak provides a soft spicy note, and a solid wood-chip flavor. With all the acidity the beer comes off as tasting bone dry. At times I find myself noticing a nice fruitiness in the middle of this beer, especially as it warms up; it is wrapped up in the vinegar notes and provides a touch of cherry, some sour plum and even a touch of something that reminds me of a dry, rosé Champagne as well as evoking a suggestion of fruity sweetness. The warmer this becomes, the more the fruitiness gets accented

I am quite impressed how close this beer is to a Lambic. In fact, when this beer is in the low to mid 50ºF / low 10ºC this is the closest I have ever had to a Lambic outside of Belgium, and I am really digging this beer. Warmth does bring out a touch more acetic character and fruitiness, but nothing necessarily outside the range of a Lambic. This really is just a fantastic beer, one which I definitely wish I had quite a bit more of in the cellar. I am really enjoying the ample Brettanomyces presence and how it pairs with the solid sourness. In the end this is a very tasty beer that achieves an incredible balance between the various components of it's flavors and aromas. (4,152 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +5.9%

Appearance: Light straw orange, nice head and lacing.

Smell: Just enough barnyard and horse blanket funk; more lemon juice than you can imagine

Taste: Incredibly sour and tart; when I was a child I drank lemon juice straight from the bottle on occasion, this reminded me of the experience. Bit of vinegar as well with a nice oak backdrop and some fruits (concord grapes, apricot, star fruit).

Mouthfeel: Nice prickly carbonation, well done and a pleasure on the tounge

Drinkability: High; but it is incredibly sour.

I am guessing this one will age incredibly well. (569 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -6.2%

This had a loud pop and instant foam, I almost shattered my glass as I tried to quickly put the bottle close to the glass. I'm glad that didn't happen.

A- The beer is an amber coppery orange color. There was a great deal of head that has subsided to almost nothing. There is lots of carbination in the glass itself. Looks tasty, I can't wait.

S- The sourness is very present in the nose, it makes my mouth water. I'm getting a nice touch of honey with a hit of cranberry too. There is a nice fruit smell, but the sourness is keeping me from picking it out easily.

T- This has a healthy sour factor in the taste of lemons. I would relate the taste to that of lemon soaked raw cranberries, both in taste and sourness. But it isn't a bitter sour which is nice. I'm getting no funky taste at all. Unlike some other sours I've had this does not have the sweetness that others have, which leaves your taste buds out in no mans land for an acid bath.

M- The mouthfeel is slightly thin, with nice carbination to go with it.

D- Easy to drink, but the sourness is something that is slowing me down.

This will even pucker you butt, its pretty sour and I like it.

Added Pic. (1,173 characters)

4.37/5  rDev -0.5%

First Bottle:
Pours a medium orange with a huge and frothy white head. The retention is good and there is a little lacing on my tulip.

The aroma has a strong Brett profile, which imparts some nice funky notes to it, such as horse stable. There are some apricot and lemon notes, as well as some vinegar. No alcohol is noticeable and there is a very low level of sweetness. The flavor has a nice medium level of sourness to it, as well as a medium level of tartness. Flavors of apricot, lemon, oak, and musty barnyard are present. There's some acidity and vinegar as well. The finish is fruity, dry, tart, and puckering.

The beer is light bodied with medium carbonation and a dry mouthfeel. I'm eager to see what this will taste like in six months to a year, after the Brett has had some time to work.

Second Bottle:
Consumed on 11/06/2009 and poured into a snifter. Thanks Dyan! The nose has increased acetic notes and strawberry. The flavor is great, so I bumped it up from a 4.0 to a 4.5. A nice level of dry tartness has developed. Acidity has increased a bit and notes of strawberry are evident in the flavor, as well as vinegar. The acetic character is very powerful, and ultimately brings down the drinkability from 4.5 to 4.0 for me. (1,242 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +1.8%

Thanks to Djtai007. Good new trader!

Not sure where the original reviewer (Ccrida) got "pink" from ... my pour is a slightly tannish orange. Tight two or three inch white foam head.

Smells ... ooo .... tart. Nice acidic vinegar/lemon to the aroma. A hint of barnyard funk that increased as it warmed.

Taste is much stronger than the aroma would indicate. Delicious acid twang, a nice harsh citrus/lemon backbone, vinegar notes, and more than a bit of vinous, grapey backing. Really almost no balancing sweetness: this is a sour, vinegar-y beer. In a good way. Large oak flavor throughout. The oak grew more and more heavy as I continued to drink it.

Mouthfeel was nice, decently carbonated, though not as carbonated as the head led me to believe. Very drinkable.

Quite good. (781 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +5.2%

I'm surprised to see I get the first review after this selling so quickly, garnering enough hype to get an entry in BA complete with picture before it was even reviewed. I was only allowed one bottle at their anniversary sale, but they had it on draught at Brower's (as well as $2 samples available at Bottleworks) for a reasonable price, so I was able to try a glass without cracking into my bottle. Served in a Grimbergen goblet, Bottleworks 10th Anniversary Wild Ale is a chill hazed pale pinkish copper with a quickly dissipating white head that leaves no lace. Nice color makes up for the head.

Smell is nice and lambic like, but fruity, plenty horsey, with some sweet, tart lacto.

Taste is really nice, loving it. Again, lambic like for sure, with plenty of barnyard, lots of complexity and depth, but still some sweetness, tropical fruit notes. Wow, now I'm really pissed they wouldn't let me buy a second bottle (I was a the store late after everyone had gone to Brower's, and there were still a few out, so it's not like I wanted the last two!).

Mouthfeel is dry and very acidic, with an oily slickness and lighter body.

Drinkability is very high, as it's a fantastic beer. This is the best sour I've had from New Belgium by far. To bad it's a rare, expensive one off! (1,284 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last