Bottleworks 10th Anniversary Wild Ale - New Belgium Brewing

Bottleworks 10th Anniversary Wild AleBottleworks 10th Anniversary Wild Ale

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-11-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
DefenCorps

Oregon

4.25/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to 5000 (RB), I managed to get a bottle that I shared with Chris and Shane this past weekend

Light cherry red with a dense white head with great retention and some lace. The head recedes to a disk, and this extremely clear beer is quite attractive. The nose is chock-full of cherries with bright acidity. Sour fruits and berries, with strawberries and cherries dominate the palate. Acetic character increases as it warms up. The combination of sweetness and tartness is excellent, and reminiscent of the Le Terroir that I drank nary 6 hours ago. The palate opens with plenty of acetic character with a lot of strawberry vinaigrette. Probably the not the most complex of flavors, but still very good. Acetic and drying on the finish, with an intense fruity, acetic character (have I said that enough already), this beer is great. Medium light in body with a rather high level of carbonation, I find the acetic character a bit much, and for that reason, I don't see myself drinking too much of this.

** 26 March 2011**
Thanks again, Joe.

Completely unlike I remember it being, this is an earthy, mineraly and surprisingly lemony sour. Yes, the re's an acetic acid, but it's not as fruity. Some caramel, some brown sugar and a little vanilla are present. The palate's sour and acetic, but different, less fruity and more vinous. Drying and acetic on the finish, this is one intense beast. I like this more than the Falling Rock 10th.
4.5/4/4/4/4

11-11-2009 02:42:31 | More by DefenCorps
ArrogantB

Colorado

This was one of many rare wild/sour/lambic/gueuze I drank over the weekend and while this was not the best it was one of the most sour. The color seemed a lot lighter than La Folie and a little closer to Le Terroir. It smells super sour but without the hint of glue and lemons I get from la Folie. The flavor is puckery green apples and gives me sour gueuze face. I prefer Le Terroir but this was a nice blend and certainly quite sour.

09-22-2009 01:08:21 | More by ArrogantB
orbitalr0x

4.25/5  rDev -4.1%

Big thanks go out to Joe for sharing this at a sour tasting. Pours into my glass a brilliant orange red akin to a fall sunset with some bubbles on top. Aromas start out with an acidic funkiness upfront alongside light fruitiness and some crisp grain malts.

First sip brings a flow of super complex flavors with sour and bright acidic vinegar notes making their way across the palate. Barnyard accents along with a mellow fruit flavor throughout. There's a biting deep tart finish to the brew. Immense in flavor and very enjoyable. Oaky accents with a dry, acidic vinegar finish.

Mouthfeel is spritzy and effervescent with a medium body. Quite a tasty brew here that I have no problem drinking. Really glad I got to try this one.

09-20-2009 20:33:36 | More by orbitalr0x
0110x011

4.28/5  rDev -3.4%

ON tap at Bottleworks in Seattle. Apparently this is a custom blend of the 2nd, 3rd, and 13th foeder in the New Belgium brewery, custom blended by the Bottleworks guys and spiked with brett on bottling. Reviewed from notes.

A - Rich copper orange. Thick, dense white head. Medium retention. Thick collar & spotty lacing.

S - Vinegar & funk. Tangerine & lemon peel. Some subtle breadiness. Very citrusy.

T - Big citrus flavors. Tangerine, orange, and lemon. Mild brett funk. Slightly sweet. More tangy than sour.

M - Light and soft. Fluffy carbonation. Dry, quick finish.

D - Very high. More drinkable than La Folie, even.

It was a real surprise that they had this on tap, and I'm very glad I tried it. A fine wild ale for sure.

08-12-2009 20:43:04 | More by 0110x011
emerge077

4.47/5  rDev +0.9%

Thanks to Jay and Joe for the opportunity to try this very special bottle! Review is from notes... Attractive dark orange body with lots of visible carbonation. Maybe an inch of foam that remains for a little while. Unique and wild nose, horsey, underripe peaches, sandalwood incense and rotting fruits in the sun. First sips bring a sharp acidity that stimulates the salivary glands, some grape, peach pit, and a moderate level of palate-scrubbing bubbles in it's dry finish. Puckering, piercing tartness, yet also savory and quenching. The acidity is well in check, and it's reminiscent of La Folie, though a distant relation.

06-25-2009 02:40:32 | More by emerge077
Gueuzedude

Arizona

4.5/5  rDev +1.6%

Sampled June 2009
A solid, though not aggressive, pour into my large Tripel Karmeliet Tulip produces an almost four-finger thick, nicely tan colored head. The head slowly subsides with a rocky texture and leaves a nice lacing pattern on the sides of my glass. The beer is a burnished, dark amber, red tinged color that shows a hazy'ish, light cranberry red hue when held up to the light. Even as I pour this I get a nice scent of Brettanomyces funk that is quite inviting. Big lactic sourness mixes with sharp notes of urea, musk and phenolic soaked musty cotton. The aroma is actually quite Gueuze like, and I don't mean just any Gueuze, but a good, solidly funky example whose aroma will keep my quite happily occupied for quite some time. A background of spicy oak, a woody mushroom wildness as well as some freshly crushed grain aromatics, a nice grassy / dried hay component are also quite prominent if you spend some time exploring the nuances. I like how funky this is, it really has a vibrant character to it; a fine mix of butyric acid and urea type notes provide a strong, musky note that any Lambic lover should crave.

Bracingly tart, which I was ready for based on the nose, this beer makes my mouth pucker up quite nicely. The beer is fairly light bodied, and if not for the aggressive lactic sourness, this would be as quaffable as water. While the sourness is nice and hard, it is not too much for this lover of hard-Lambics. The body is also not thin as it has a tannic structure from the oak as well as certain slickness from the lactic acid that provides just enough body. This is well carbonated underneath the acidity, which contributes an amply prickly sensation as well as boosting the peppery finish. While the beer has a fair amount of color to it, it doesn't have much to it that reminds me of the more malty Flemish Sours. In fact the flavor once again reinforces the Lambic / Gueuze qualities that I noticed in the nose. A touch of dried grass, and freshly crushed grain husk flavors can be found in the finish at times, but overall the fresh malt contribution is quite subtle here. There is perhaps a touch of acetic acidity here, but it is very soft (especially considering I was expecting much more from the New Belgium Barrels), this is really much more lactic in character and is a big departure from the bottles of La Folie that I have had over the years. Again, the acid balance is nicely in line with a Gueuze, but there is just enough acetic character to provide a round fruitiness to the beer that can just remind one of a wine-vinegar.

Enough focus on the acidity, there is also a ton of funkiness to this brew. Notes of urea are found throughout the flavor profile and there is a huge, musky, dried sweat soaked leather, a woody & phenolic mushroom character, . There is also a substantial tannic note here that even coats the teeth a bit, it is wrapped up in a solid oak character that plays a supporting role in this beer. The oak provides a soft spicy note, and a solid wood-chip flavor. With all the acidity the beer comes off as tasting bone dry. At times I find myself noticing a nice fruitiness in the middle of this beer, especially as it warms up; it is wrapped up in the vinegar notes and provides a touch of cherry, some sour plum and even a touch of something that reminds me of a dry, rosé Champagne as well as evoking a suggestion of fruity sweetness. The warmer this becomes, the more the fruitiness gets accented

I am quite impressed how close this beer is to a Lambic. In fact, when this beer is in the low to mid 50ºF / low 10ºC this is the closest I have ever had to a Lambic outside of Belgium, and I am really digging this beer. Warmth does bring out a touch more acetic character and fruitiness, but nothing necessarily outside the range of a Lambic. This really is just a fantastic beer, one which I definitely wish I had quite a bit more of in the cellar. I am really enjoying the ample Brettanomyces presence and how it pairs with the solid sourness. In the end this is a very tasty beer that achieves an incredible balance between the various components of it's flavors and aromas.

06-20-2009 15:36:56 | More by Gueuzedude
craytonic

District of Columbia

4.65/5  rDev +5%

Appearance: Light straw orange, nice head and lacing.

Smell: Just enough barnyard and horse blanket funk; more lemon juice than you can imagine

Taste: Incredibly sour and tart; when I was a child I drank lemon juice straight from the bottle on occasion, this reminded me of the experience. Bit of vinegar as well with a nice oak backdrop and some fruits (concord grapes, apricot, star fruit).

Mouthfeel: Nice prickly carbonation, well done and a pleasure on the tounge

Drinkability: High; but it is incredibly sour.

I am guessing this one will age incredibly well.

06-04-2009 19:29:43 | More by craytonic
Wetpaperbag

Washington

4.1/5  rDev -7.4%

This had a loud pop and instant foam, I almost shattered my glass as I tried to quickly put the bottle close to the glass. I'm glad that didn't happen.

A- The beer is an amber coppery orange color. There was a great deal of head that has subsided to almost nothing. There is lots of carbination in the glass itself. Looks tasty, I can't wait.

S- The sourness is very present in the nose, it makes my mouth water. I'm getting a nice touch of honey with a hit of cranberry too. There is a nice fruit smell, but the sourness is keeping me from picking it out easily.

T- This has a healthy sour factor in the taste of lemons. I would relate the taste to that of lemon soaked raw cranberries, both in taste and sourness. But it isn't a bitter sour which is nice. I'm getting no funky taste at all. Unlike some other sours I've had this does not have the sweetness that others have, which leaves your taste buds out in no mans land for an acid bath.

M- The mouthfeel is slightly thin, with nice carbination to go with it.

D- Easy to drink, but the sourness is something that is slowing me down.

This will even pucker you butt, its pretty sour and I like it.

Added Pic.

04-18-2009 01:07:34 | More by Wetpaperbag
HopHead84

4.38/5  rDev -1.1%

First Bottle:
Pours a medium orange with a huge and frothy white head. The retention is good and there is a little lacing on my tulip.

The aroma has a strong Brett profile, which imparts some nice funky notes to it, such as horse stable. There are some apricot and lemon notes, as well as some vinegar. No alcohol is noticeable and there is a very low level of sweetness. The flavor has a nice medium level of sourness to it, as well as a medium level of tartness. Flavors of apricot, lemon, oak, and musty barnyard are present. There's some acidity and vinegar as well. The finish is fruity, dry, tart, and puckering.

The beer is light bodied with medium carbonation and a dry mouthfeel. I'm eager to see what this will taste like in six months to a year, after the Brett has had some time to work.

Second Bottle:
Consumed on 11/06/2009 and poured into a snifter. Thanks Dyan! The nose has increased acetic notes and strawberry. The flavor is great, so I bumped it up from a 4.0 to a 4.5. A nice level of dry tartness has developed. Acidity has increased a bit and notes of strawberry are evident in the flavor, as well as vinegar. The acetic character is very powerful, and ultimately brings down the drinkability from 4.5 to 4.0 for me.

03-17-2009 22:32:09 | More by HopHead84
Overlord

4.47/5  rDev +0.9%

Thanks to Djtai007. Good new trader!

Not sure where the original reviewer (Ccrida) got "pink" from ... my pour is a slightly tannish orange. Tight two or three inch white foam head.

Smells ... ooo .... tart. Nice acidic vinegar/lemon to the aroma. A hint of barnyard funk that increased as it warmed.

Taste is much stronger than the aroma would indicate. Delicious acid twang, a nice harsh citrus/lemon backbone, vinegar notes, and more than a bit of vinous, grapey backing. Really almost no balancing sweetness: this is a sour, vinegar-y beer. In a good way. Large oak flavor throughout. The oak grew more and more heavy as I continued to drink it.

Mouthfeel was nice, decently carbonated, though not as carbonated as the head led me to believe. Very drinkable.

Quite good.

03-06-2009 07:03:08 | More by Overlord
ccrida

Oregon

4.65/5  rDev +5%

I'm surprised to see I get the first review after this selling so quickly, garnering enough hype to get an entry in BA complete with picture before it was even reviewed. I was only allowed one bottle at their anniversary sale, but they had it on draught at Brower's (as well as $2 samples available at Bottleworks) for a reasonable price, so I was able to try a glass without cracking into my bottle. Served in a Grimbergen goblet, Bottleworks 10th Anniversary Wild Ale is a chill hazed pale pinkish copper with a quickly dissipating white head that leaves no lace. Nice color makes up for the head.

Smell is nice and lambic like, but fruity, plenty horsey, with some sweet, tart lacto.

Taste is really nice, loving it. Again, lambic like for sure, with plenty of barnyard, lots of complexity and depth, but still some sweetness, tropical fruit notes. Wow, now I'm really pissed they wouldn't let me buy a second bottle (I was a the store late after everyone had gone to Brower's, and there were still a few out, so it's not like I wanted the last two!).

Mouthfeel is dry and very acidic, with an oily slickness and lighter body.

Drinkability is very high, as it's a fantastic beer. This is the best sour I've had from New Belgium by far. To bad it's a rare, expensive one off!

03-04-2009 00:02:48 | More by ccrida