Lips Of Faith - Dark Kriek - New Belgium Brewing

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: GilGarp on 01-27-2009)
1.1/5  rDev -69.3%

This beer is the equivalent of Samuel Adams Cranberry Lambic, except more exorbitantly over-priced. When one pays $10 for 22 ounces of beer which is described as a kriek, one does not expect to get a bottle of cherry soda pop. A brewery who charges this type of price for this type of product with the description that was on this bottle doesn't respect their brand or their customers. I want my money back before I buy another beer from this brewery.

1.2/5  rDev -66.5%

Chilled bomber into a red wine glass.

A: Normally I don't care about presentation and pour into the same type of beer mug, but this looks like a wine so I figured it would be interesting to have it in a red wine glass. The effect is amazing. Dark ruby / amber with reddish hightlights against the lamp. Initially poured with an inch of cream-colored head. Fine champagne bubbles leave a pleasing quarter-inch thick film on the brew. When I take a swig, the back of the entire glass is coated with a thick wall of foam.

S: Tart cherry and wood, with light notes of hay, brett funk, and caramel malt. The wild yeast is fairly restrained in the aroma; it doesn't smell like much of a wild ale at all.

T: Following the nose, it first tastes like a barrel-aged tart cherry soda. Some caramel / bready malt defines the mid-taste, and the finish is lightly sour, progressing into a generally watery close. No alcohol detected. This doesn't taste like much of a wile ale, either. For the category it is a pretty weak offering, tasting more like a fruit beer with some wild 'tendencies' instead of putting the wild yeast and barrel up front and center.

M: Thinner than medium-bodied, with fine champagne carbonation. Feels kind of like a cheap soda. Lots of sticky residue that make it really gross after a while.

D: Sour ales seem to be en vogue in the beer world. Unfortunately, this is a bottom-shelf representation of the style; every other AWA I've tried is better.

2.25/5  rDev -37.2%

A - Well, it looks how I think a "dark kriek" should look. It's a dark, but not opaque, red-brown. Not an astonishing amount of foam, but there's enough.

S - This isn't terribly impressive in the nose. There's a little vinegar and cherry Jolly Rancher. It's "OK," but pretty generic.

T - I'm sorry, it leaves me flat. My apologies to NB, but it tastes like a generic watery brown ale base with some cherries added. There's some sweet cherry, but I don't find this sweetness a problem at all. The whole package is just dull. Sourness is minor, the sweet/sour don't really play off each other at all. Cookie-like malts come forward as it warms, lending further support to my belief that this is just an ordinary brown ale with some attempted trimmings. 35% ale aged in barrels? I don't really get much barrel-aged character at all, if any. Basically, what I'm left with here is a brown ale with cherry juice, not much more. Kinda lame.

F - Feel is watery and weak. Here, I think bottle-conditioning would have helped.

D - I hate handing out ratings like this, especially to brewers I like, doubly so when the beer wasn't cheap (this one certainly was not). Still, I have to be honest...I like New Belgium, but this beer is a miss. Poor execution, it just seems like a lazy effort to me, a waste of a good idea. As a beer in general, throwing any style consideration or expectation out the window, it's not entirely offensive. I could *finish* the bomber, it doesn't repulse me - but there are too many other beers in my fridge I'd rather drink. Way too many.

2.25/5  rDev -37.2%

2.3/5  rDev -35.8%

A: This sour brown ale, true to its name, pours deep ruby-tinted brown, with a quickly-vanishing two-finger head that is also a rich burnt-straw-brown mahogany.

S: Overwhelmingly sour nose, with hints of a sweet whiskey background.

T: Pungently sour, the bite engulfs the tongue. The taste bears hints of oaken vanilla from the cask, and give it a dry finish.

M: Sharp, crisp, tangy. High carbonation, but little else to speak of.

D: Low. The sour acidity overwhelms, making more than 8-10 ounces a challenge, much less the entire bomber. Definitely not a session beer.

Maybe I'm just not a sour beer drinker, as this is perhaps a well-crafted beer for its style, but not what I like to experience when tasting a fourteen-dollar bottle of beer.

2.48/5  rDev -30.7%

Amber ale-like appearance. Copper colored with a thin, creamy white head. It doesn't have a pink head and sadly, it's not bottle conditioned. I can't imagine a worse overall look for a Kriek. The nose doesn't offer much. Mostly muddled, but some notes of cherry, sweat and salt. Sensations of sweet and sour upon tasting, with a juicy cherry character. Cherry pie-like character. A decent fruit beer, with a lightly soured character, but lots of sweetness as well. From the package to the beer, New Belgium isn't offering anything serious to the Belgian beer enthusiast. A brewery like New Belgium, with skilled brewing talent, is capable of producing a much better beer.

2.5/5  rDev -30.2%

A - Crystal clear ruby body with a small amount of off pink head and only a little bit of lacing.

S - some cherry notes everything else is confused in it

T - Kind of bland. You can tell there is some cherry and oak and some funky sourness but overall just taste bland

M - Medium body with medium carbonation

D - Not hard to drink but isn't very that enjoyable.

P.S. My bottle might have been bad

2.75/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a Great Divide Tulip.
A: Lives up to its name. Very dark, almost black until held up to light. Backlighting reveals very clear, deep red. Very thin tan head dissipates to a ring almost immediately.
S: Not alot on the nose. Really quite bland. I was hoping for cherries to pop, but I'm getting nothing on that front. Definitely some sour notes, but not much else.
T: Should have added more cherries, they are pretty much invisible. A bit of a tart sourness, but really disappointing. The oak comes through on the back.
M: Mouthfeel is pretty much what I expected. Bubbly and thin.
D: Pretty drinkable, but not really any reason to do so. A fairly bland beer. Not bad, just bland, certainly not good enough to justify the $10 price point. The beer is now retired, so maybe it hasn't aged well and was better when fresh, but overall, not a great showing. Just a bland one.

2.78/5  rDev -22.3%

A - Thin head if any. No lacing. Dark burgandy. Neat color.
S - I could smell the cherry and sourness 2 feet from my nose once the pour started going.
T - Not a big sour fan. American Wild Ale has a broad category and this falls in line with the sours. Very very tart with cherry. Maybe some woodiness if you look hard for it. The picture on the bottle does the beer justice with the little red sperm looking things.
M - It feels like an explosion of sourness. Probably the most carbonated beer I've had up front.
D - Luckily I have this cigar I just lit to get me through the 8% abv bottle.

2.9/5  rDev -19%

Poured into a DFH snifter.

Very familiar vinegar-like smells as well as cherries. Smell is nice. However, the taste does not deliver. This beer is sort of a mess. For me, the flavors never come together. The cherry flavor is strong, which is not a bad thing. There is an oaky quality to the beer and some cola notes. There is very little sourness common to the style. I would not consider this a lambic nor would I necessarily call it a fruit beer in the sense that the cherries are the main focus of the beer. The barrel aging seems to dampen the fruit flavors.

I just don't get it. Not really a sour and not a great example of a barrel-aged beer. For me, it just misses the mark.

2.9/5  rDev -19%

Dark Kriek with the word Belgium on the brewery. Sweet. Pretty expensive, but if there's a way to support an American brewery and get an awesome kriek out of it, I'll do it!

Appearance - looks like an amber ale, no head to speak of even with hard pour into a flute and a wine glass

Smell - Lager-ish, slight fruit notes.

Taste - sour sour sour cherries on top of a whiff of pale ale. I oh-so-desperately wish the word sour appeared on this bottle. For me, if it's going to be fruity, it should be sweet. If I want a sour beer, I have outlets for that. If the word sour had appeared on the bottle, fair play, but no such luck.

Mouthfeel - Like a watery amber ale. My mouth is too puckered to feel anything.

Drinkability - This was a chore for me to finish. Never again! I'm out ten bucks and feel like a sucker. I have had cherry lagers before, and I sort of know what to expect with a name like that, but when you call your beer a kriek, I feel it should have a nice sweetness to it and a strong malt backbone to stand up to the fruit and give it a balanced mouthfeel rather than a tannic puckerbomb.

But, hey, if they told the truth - that this tastes like Fat Tire with Sour Patch Kids (sugar-free Sour Patch Kids?) thrown in - they'd never get $10 for it.

2.93/5  rDev -18.2%

22 oz bottle. Pours a reddish brown with an off-white head that quickly diminishes to a thin collar.

The aroma is tart acidic cherries and some wood with some sweet sugary malt traces in the background.

The flavor is wood and dry acidic cherries with some light sour/tartness. It's very dry with some lingering sweetness in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is light bodied with some sharp carbonation.

Overall, a bit of a disappointment. La Folie, La Terroir and Eric's Ale are all much better. This seems kind of dumbed down and pretty mild and even bland.

3.1/5  rDev -13.4%

I confess...I'm writing this review a few hours after I drank this. I took no notes and it's all from memory.

Picked up a bottle at the local store. I'm not sure if it was cold enough but the wife said she was thirsty so I didn't cool it down further.

The beer pours a beautiful red and clear color. Very, very clear. I stuck my nose in the glass right when I poured and I smelled sour cherries and alcohol, but I smelled again a minute later and I couldn't smell anything. We were using wine glasses so we could really stick out noses in it, but the smell didn't stick. This stuff needs to be agitated to kick up a smell.

The taste was average. Pretty fruity. Not sweet or too sour. It didn't seem complex in any way. The alcohol reminds you you're not drinking juice, but there really isn't a lot else behind it. The bottle was empty in no time but it didn't feel like I'd really experienced much.

Good value- $4 at my local place. There aren't a lot of Krieks in this price range that I see, so I'd get it to introduce the style to others or to satisfy a cherry craving I'm having at any particular moment.

3.15/5  rDev -12%

22oz bottle $9. Dark, dark brown with red tints. Smells slightly like cherries and nothing else, weak smell. The taste has a very slight tart quality, I taste no cherry flavors or wood, average. I love Eric's Ale, Le Terroir, and La Folie so I was hoping to like this as well but it just wasn't worth my money.

3.18/5  rDev -11.2%

a: thick foamy head slowly settles to a nice layer, ruby red color, pretty stream of bubbles in the middle
s: light malts with strong tart cherry aroma
t: very tart cherries as expected with light indication of wood-aging, slight acidity, mild sweetness
m: highly carbonated, medium body, clean finish
d: not a bad beer, but wouldn't buy another one

3.2/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours dark red color with thin off-white head. Smell - candied cherries, very champaigne-like smell, that is pretty much it, perhaps some malts coming through as well. Taste - very sour cherries at first followed by some malty sweetnes. Kinda one dimentional brew, but I'm not sure if it's ment to be complex, I'm not that familiar with the style. Very carbonated and crisp, alcohol hidden very well, lemonade-like mouthfeel. It is very interestin brew, I wouldn't call it drinkable though, I had problems finishing the bomber, but may be it's just me. I would give it another try in a while and see what happens.

3.2/5  rDev -10.6%

Thanks to drseamus for bringing this.

A: Nice vibrant clear red color. Minimal white head.

S: Big raspberries up front. Little weird yeast smell in there that was hard to pin down and not that pleasant.

T: Very big cherry juice flavor. Not what I was thinking of with a Kriek. Not quite an ale.

M: Very light body fairly refreshing.

D: I think they could have gone further with this. Reminded me of RedBach quite a bit. I wish they would have turned up the tartness a bit.

3.23/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into my New Belgium snifter.

*note: although i have sampled a few beers of this style before, it is in no way one of my favorites, nor am i in any way an expert in what i should be looking for, so that said the following review is my honest .02$, take it with a grain of salt.

A - single finger head that fades quickly, but sits atop a beautiful dark deep mahogony colored brew.(looks a bit like a dark red wine)

S - tart cherries, lots of them, with vinager and possible some type of wood??

T - more of the same from the nose, fairly tart. some sweetness does pull through before a dry finish.

MF - almost no carb. very very smooth with a medium body

D - Not bad, again not my favorite style, i would have another but would not seek it out, I would much rather have the Duchesse

note* this seemed to me more or a sour than a fruit/lambic.

2009 rate.

Bottle. Pours a clear dark cherry red with a frothy head. Nose is sweet and sour, red berries, faded hops, slightly medicinal. Collage of sweet and sour dominates this, which I like, but there's a little too much sweet and the cherry flavor is a bit strange. I can't stand the slightest bit of medicinal cherry flavor in a beer, this borders on it. Not bad, just alright, not really my thing.

3.25/5  rDev -9.2%

Pours a very dark copper/ruby red color with dark mahogany edges when held to a light source and a one finger frothy off white head that immediately fades into a thin ring.

Slightly sour aroma with lactic notes and earthy oak presence. Just a hint of vanilla with a healthy dose of dark cherries and artificial syrupy cherry juice.

Slightly puckering but not nearly tart enough with a medium dry mouthfeell and lots of artificial syrupy sweetness. Slightly earthy from oak aging and a touch of vanilla.

The flavor is actually more sour/funky than the aroma would lead youto believe but still =very mild and nowhere near sour/puckering enough. Oak and vanilla notes acoompany the lactic sourness up front but they are quickly overpowered by the cloyingly sweet cherry and syrupy sweet artificial juice flavors. Slightly dry finish.

3.25/5  rDev -9.2%

A - Crystal clear ruby color. Thin tan head barely reaches a finger before fading to nothing.

S - Sour cherries and vinegar. Some earth and must. That's about it, really.

T - Cherries, vinegar, and dirt. Tart, but not sour. No real oak to speak of. All of the major Lambic flavors, without the subtle complexities. Seems to have been bottled before it got a chance to get interesting. Not bland, just seriously lacking in depth.

M - right for the style. Medium-light body and effervescent carbonation.

D - Good, I suppose.

Possibly the least complex sour I've ever had. It's not really even that sour (if at all). A letdown for sure.

3.28/5  rDev -8.4%

I paid $8.99 for the 22oz bottle at Wilburs in Ft Collins

It pours a clear ruby red with a 1 finger head of foam....fast shrinking. There is plenty of lacing though. It is a very nice looker.

The smell is of cherries, some funk, light caramel sweetness, and a definite tart aroma. Good.

The taste is both tart and sweet at the same time. I like the cherry tartness but the sweet tones remind me of cherry cough syrup. That said, there is a goodly amount of funky flavour to distract me...until the finish where it gets all sugary sweet again. I wish the tart notes dominated.

It has a medium mouthfeel and the carbonation is on the light side. Some alcohol is now peeking through..I think for the style, it has way too high an abv.

Drinkability? The flavours are not working in harmony for me and it's just too boozy for the style. 22oz at one sitting is about 10oz too much. I'm very fond of well made beers that are fruit influenced(Raspberries and Cherries are tops for me) but this one doesn't please my palate all that much.

Lips Of Faith - Dark Kriek from New Belgium Brewing