Lips Of Faith - Dark Kriek - New Belgium Brewing

American Wild Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: GilGarp on 01-27-2009

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
2.56/5  rDev -28.1%

A - Crystal clear ruby body with a small amount of off pink head and only a little bit of lacing.

S - some cherry notes everything else is confused in it

T - Kind of bland. You can tell there is some cherry and oak and some funky sourness but overall just taste bland

M - Medium body with medium carbonation

D - Not hard to drink but isn't very that enjoyable.

P.S. My bottle might have been bad (400 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Brown, bright crimson with a thin tan bubbly head that disappears immediately.

S - Malty sweetness with light sour cherry, spices and oak.

T - Sweet malt in a sour brown ale way, tart cherry, a touch of spice and mild oak.

M - Light carbonation creates a full moutfeel, slightly sticky with a dry finish.

D - Not a bad beer at all but I expected a lot better from New Belgium after having tried a few of their sours. This one reminds me more of a very lightly soured brown than a lambic. (495 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -16.6%

Poured into a DFH snifter.

Very familiar vinegar-like smells as well as cherries. Smell is nice. However, the taste does not deliver. This beer is sort of a mess. For me, the flavors never come together. The cherry flavor is strong, which is not a bad thing. There is an oaky quality to the beer and some cola notes. There is very little sourness common to the style. I would not consider this a lambic nor would I necessarily call it a fruit beer in the sense that the cherries are the main focus of the beer. The barrel aging seems to dampen the fruit flavors.

I just don't get it. Not really a sour and not a great example of a barrel-aged beer. For me, it just misses the mark. (684 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

Bottle from the Davis Co-Op shared with my wife on valentine's day. Pours a dark brown with excellent clarity and a short, unstable head. Laces fairly cleanly. Vague cherry odor with similarly vague chocolate in there too. Flavor is mildly tart cherries on a chocolate malt base. Yeasty, biscuity notes that i recognize as common to most N.B. beers. Cherry tartness increases somewhat but doesn't approach sour...much more of a sweet beer than any kind of lambic. Medium bodied. Drinks well. Nothing to call home about but nice to sit and enjoy after dinner. (558 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -13.8%

I confess...I'm writing this review a few hours after I drank this. I took no notes and it's all from memory.

Picked up a bottle at the local store. I'm not sure if it was cold enough but the wife said she was thirsty so I didn't cool it down further.

The beer pours a beautiful red and clear color. Very, very clear. I stuck my nose in the glass right when I poured and I smelled sour cherries and alcohol, but I smelled again a minute later and I couldn't smell anything. We were using wine glasses so we could really stick out noses in it, but the smell didn't stick. This stuff needs to be agitated to kick up a smell.

The taste was average. Pretty fruity. Not sweet or too sour. It didn't seem complex in any way. The alcohol reminds you you're not drinking juice, but there really isn't a lot else behind it. The bottle was empty in no time but it didn't feel like I'd really experienced much.

Good value- $4 at my local place. There aren't a lot of Krieks in this price range that I see, so I'd get it to introduce the style to others or to satisfy a cherry craving I'm having at any particular moment. (1,113 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -6.5%

Ok, I was suckered by the name and hype...what I got was an underdeveloped, mediocre beer :(

Sweet silkscreened bottle, saving it for a glass project...anyone local that has empties to donate, let me know. Looks pretty in a Duvel tulip, ruby glint in direct light, light brown otherwise. Foamy head on the first pour, after that it was kinda weak. A broken skim was left behind after a few minutes. Minimal lace.

A yeasty, sweet wort aroma, lightly metallic with a vague cherry essence. Tasting it reminds me of a locally made wild ale Philosopher's Stone, due to the slight toasty malt component. Cherry flavor is there, barely registers, sort of slapdash up against the dominant malt flavors. Not really tart in the traditional sense of Kriek, Lambic, etc. Not a Lambic at all, for that matter. More of a weak attempt at a sour brown ale without the sour. Some earthy toasted malt and vegetal celery, dried cherry eventually comes through.

Full bodied and slick on the palate. Really needs some barrel aging to redeem it. It has no sediment, i'm thinking it's filtered, so no use cellaring it. Better luck next time New Belgium, you get a frowny face sticker for this one.... (1,183 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +11.5%

22 oz bottle poured into New Belgium Chalice

A - Pours with cola-like effect: dark brown with ruby accents and a light tan, mellow head. Lacing is minor.

S - Dark sour cherries with a complimentary dose of oaked malt sweetness. Spicy alcohol starts to awaken in the scent as this beer warms.

T - Starts with a bit of syrupy dark cherry sweetness, and that main flavor never really leaves your tastebuds. Alcohol is apparent with a whiskey-esque oaked flavor. These two main flavors are nicely combined, but there isn't much room for more subtle flavors with these strong tastes competing. Very tart and sour.

M - High carbonation with a tart, puckering mouthfeel. Light to medium body and a slightly dry finish.

D - Dark malt adds some interesting flavor that a normal kriek wouldn't present. Alcohol is doable for a bomber and flavor stays interesting throughout. A bit pricey, but its nice to see New Belgium trying these classic Belgian styles. (956 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +1.7%

pours a somewhat disappointing cherry-cola type of look, with a frothy soda pop head.
aroma is faint, but pleasing, a bit of yeast with a subtle cherry influence and a light smokiness. the alcohol is present in the nose, which does create a little cough syrup effect when blends with the cherry notes.
taste is quite nice, surprisingly light, with a very natural tasting sour cherry flavor. the light woodiness definitely rounds out the cherries, and a sweetness in the finish completes the effect. despite being a little up-front in the nose, the alcohol lends just a great spice note to the mix.
mouthfeel is just full enough to compliment the flavor profile without becoming syrupy.
overall a good brew if you want something as an apéritif, but it can also hold its own with dessert as well. (796 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +3.9%

A: Deep garnet with nice clarity. Rocky red tinged head has good retention and leaves patches of lace.

S: The nose on this beer lets you know right away what you're getting into. There is a strong aroma of sour cherries, with only a hint of earthy hops.

T: Tart and sour right out of the gate. Sour cherry and cranberry flavors dominate the experience. Balance is sweet/sour rather than sweet/bitter. Some dark fruit sweetness is there to keep the tartness in check, but not quite enough for my tastes.

M: Medium body feels somewhat syrupy. Carbonation level feels about right.

D: I had to work to get into this beer. It's certainly complex and different, but not the most enjoyable experience I've had from New Belgium. Still, I'm glad I tried it. (752 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +4.5%

Bomber bottle, no freshness/bottling info to be had. Pours clear red infused amber.Minor big bubble head, that clears out with haste. Leave next to no glass stickage. Light smoked cherry in the nose. Interesting yet messed up brew. Sweet/sour level is initially towards the sweet side, and then bending towards the sour late. Some smoke and moderate cherry come thru. Sort of hits you over the head and lacks the subtleness and nuance of the highter rated entries in the contest. They need to reassess this one and roll out some changes perhaps in the next batch. (563 characters)

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a DT tulip.

A: Pours a crystal-clear, deep garnet-red. Small 3/4 finger, light-khaki colored head forms and then quickly disappears. Some drooping smears and specks of lace are left behind.

S: Aromas of sour cherry, spices, tart red apple, and sweet spiced cherry juice. Very mild oakiness.

T: Tart cherry, lemon, cherry juice, toasted malt, vanilla, and some barely there oak. As it warms a toasty malt and/or dry oakiness becomes more apparent in the finish.

M: Certainly tart but definitely not sour. Sticky and fruity with some interesting peppery notes during the middle and finish. A bit of dryness and quite a lot of sticky tang.

D: I decided to try this after having La Folie on draft last night at Jerry's on Division. It's not even in the same league...but maybe that was the intention. I liked it, but would really like to try this on draft. (891 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle. Poured a reddish dark brown. Thin head that quickly disappered into a very thin collar. fruit taste of cherries with some oak. Good to try once, but I proably wouldn't get this one again. I enjoyed their other sours much more than this one. (268 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -17.7%

22 oz bottle. Pours a reddish brown with an off-white head that quickly diminishes to a thin collar.

The aroma is tart acidic cherries and some wood with some sweet sugary malt traces in the background.

The flavor is wood and dry acidic cherries with some light sour/tartness. It's very dry with some lingering sweetness in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is light bodied with some sharp carbonation.

Overall, a bit of a disappointment. La Folie, La Terroir and Eric's Ale are all much better. This seems kind of dumbed down and pretty mild and even bland. (557 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +9%

Not sure why they decided to bottle this particular one. For those who don't know, the "Lips of Faith" series are recipes brainstormed by their staff and typically only served on tap in limited release. I've never seen or heard of this one before.
Anyway, what we have in this brew is a partial resurrection of the Transatlantique Kriek. That was a brown ale blended with Boon Kriek that NB bottled back in 2003.
Pours a rosewood brown/red mix with little bit of an reddish head.
Smells like a belgian brown ale (a la the Duchesse), but with cherries in the mix. Not a huge memorable nose, but somewhat inviting.
The flavors start off like balsamic and malt, but the middle brings about some spicy yeast and a huge wave of cherries. The brown ale and cherries work really well together. Not too tart of sweet - everything's in balance.
Even though it's 8% you'd never know it.
I'd revisit this item for sure, although it was somewhat pricy. A bomber was $8 and I'm only 45 minutes from the brewery...where growlers are $5.
Still, this was really good and a spiritual successor to a beer I really enjoyed.

Now we just need Eric's Ale. I still think that's the best thing NB has ever produced, and it's been in limited release for years. (1,237 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +5.9%

Presentation: 22 oz bomber, nice looking screened label. No date info, but there is a description of the mix, and the ABV.

Appearance: Pours a dark red, with a thin head that fades to almost nothing.

Smell: Definite sour notes, a bit of sweet fruit aromas. Just a hint of vanilla.

Taste: Definitely reminds me of La Folie, but way mellowed out. Some nice sour flavors, but not nearly the funk.

Overall impression: Nice drinkable beer - but I'd rather spend twice the money and get La Folie. That said, this is probably more approachable because it isn't as over the top sour. (579 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +9%

22 oz. bomber,

A: Pours maroon/burgundy with a light white fizzy head into a flute, fair retention, great colour, upping the score because of that.

S: Oak/wood notes, mild acidity, cherry of course, though it doesn't have the strength I usually see in sours, but what's there is good.

T: Sweet cherry juice and evident oak aging jump out at first, really similar to a Flemish red. Acidity increases over time, a finish of sweet/sour sauce and lactic acid. A good flavour, but not a lot of complexity, perhaps I'm spoiled by Russian River's sours.

Actually it's growing on me as it warms and I finish the bottle, very nice kriek.

M: Medium acidity, off-sweet feel. Carbonation is mild for the style, 8% is not evident at all, something that snuck up on me near the end of the bottle.

D: A good sour beer from New Belgium, I have to compare it to La Folie, it's not in that beer's league, but as a stand alone beer it's not bad at all. Simple, easy drinking cherry beer, no artificial flavours, thank goodness. (1,015 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +6.5%

A: Almost a mulberry color, doesn't have much head at all and doesn't leave much lacing around. Meh.

S:I do like the nose on it. Scents of cherry (duh), wood,a nice dry hoppy scent. Definitely not what I was expecting.

T: Interesting taste to say the least, starts of with a mild ale type of flavor that leads way instantly into a sour/tart taste, a nice woody chocolate type flavor and it finally ends with a nice cherry flavor. Not bad at all.

MF: Another "interesting" here, nice on the tongue but I'm thinking it could use a bit more carbonation, just to kind of make it "pop", I do have to say though that the aftertaste definitely sticks around and makes me lick my gums a lot.

D: Fairly drinkable beer, not sure I'd be up for a lambic all the time but I wouldn't mind having one of these once in a while. (816 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +6.5%

Appearance - Interesting dark, but clear brown that turns pretty spectacularly ruby under light. Very light tan head, dissipated quickly.

Smell - Cherries with a subtle hint of chocolate, as well as a mild oak tinge. All very muted.

Taste - Taste kind of reminds me subtly of La Folie, with cherries added. The cherry flavor overall is somewhat artificial, but not overly so. Oak makes an appearance, and the finish is slightly sour fruit with hints of apple. I don't detect much in the way of hops or malt to be honest.

Mouthfeel - Slightly watery with a decent amount of carbonation, but it works very well in my opinion with the slightly tart nature of the brew.

Drinkability - Despite a strange first sip, this one is a pleasant easy-drinker. Nothing to overwhelm, and the slight hint of sour gives it that different feel to make it unique. Mouthfeel being on the lighter side helps drinkability a lot. Solid, if overpriced. (932 characters)

Pours a ruddy brown. Small, off-white foam head. Not a particularly gorgeous beer.

Smells like tart cherries ... maybe a bit of oak. Pretty straight forward aroma, actually. I was expecting a bit more complexity.

Taste is, again, not as complex as I had hoped. There's a smidgen of oak (35% in oak barrels? Really?) Definitely some tart cherries. No real funk, slightly sour, but none of the fresh, popping sourness of the better beers out there. Some bubbles, but could use more carbonation.

Certainly drinkable. It's appealing, but too expensive.

** as this beer warmed up, it really grew on me. It is a flavor bomb? No. Is it crazily sour/oaked? No. Was it increasingly pleasant to drink? Yes. (701 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -11.2%

22oz bottle $9. Dark, dark brown with red tints. Smells slightly like cherries and nothing else, weak smell. The taste has a very slight tart quality, I taste no cherry flavors or wood, average. I love Eric's Ale, Le Terroir, and La Folie so I was hoping to like this as well but it just wasn't worth my money. (310 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +18.8%

Picked up a bomber today, the first I've seen of the Lips of Faith series outside of the brewery. The bottle has a beautiful screen-printed label with tiny red bubbles all over. It states this beer is 65% ale brewed with cherry juice and 35% ale aged in wood barrels.

Color is dark redish amber brown with good clarity. The small amount of white head diminishes quickly and leaves no lacing behind.

Aroma is slighty sour with obvious oak and cherry in the nose.

Flavor combines sweet, sour, and tart in almost equal measures. Sweet comes first followed quickly by sour cherries and finishing with a tart green apple snap. The experience is intense and unusual and I find myself taking frequent small sips to feel the wave of flavors again and again.

Mouthfeel is full bodied, well carbonated and smooth. The sour tannic quality of the beer is slightly wearing on the palate.

Drinkability is good for the style. It isn't too sour or overly carbonated like some and it seems to get better as it warms to room temperature.

Overall a very nice offering. This would make an interesting side-by-side comparison with La Folie. It's certainly more subtle and it may be even better. (1,179 characters)

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last