Lips Of Faith - Dark Kriek - New Belgium Brewing

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: GilGarp on 01-27-2009)
3.9/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured into a tulip glass. Tan, 1/2 finger head that fades quickly to nothing. Dark, ruby colored body.

Smell is tart cherries and slight oakiness. Nice tannin notes.

Taste is a nice, but mellow tartness up up front with a mellow sweetness in the finish that's matched with a nice oakiness. Very mild acidic taste along with some roasted malts.

Mouthfeel is light and nicely carbonated.

Drinkability is nice and light. Clean and mildy sweet finish.

Picked up a 22 oz single from Aggie Liquors in Ft. Collins, $7.
Note: This beer is not a lambic...

A: Coca cola colored, with a similar head, reduced to a film, spots of lacing, not really much though. Lots of red and deep brown accents. Very clear.

S: Oak barrel, funk, a little hint of a dry red wine, cherries are there, but the funk and oak really dominate this one, sour. Medicinal flavors as well.

T: Caramel, sour cherries, and a little hint of sour funk, lots of oak flavors, big time roasted presence as well. Sour leaves a little too soon, which is sad, because it is really a nice presence. I wish there was a little more cherry flavor too, but all in all, not too shabby. I'm glad I picked up a few of these.

M: Medium thick, slight alcohol warmth, a little bit of a sour pucker, and quite dry from the oakiness, really begs for another sip.

D: It goes down easy enough, alcohol is pretty well hidden, and it isn't overbearingly sour either. Pretty nice beer all around. I wish there was just a little bit more in the way of cherries. Not too sure about the whole bottling the Lips of Faith series either. Its interesting, and helps get out to a bigger audience, but it kind of goes against how the series started. Mixed feelings towards that.

2.9/5  rDev -19%

Dark Kriek with the word Belgium on the brewery. Sweet. Pretty expensive, but if there's a way to support an American brewery and get an awesome kriek out of it, I'll do it!

Appearance - looks like an amber ale, no head to speak of even with hard pour into a flute and a wine glass

Smell - Lager-ish, slight fruit notes.

Taste - sour sour sour cherries on top of a whiff of pale ale. I oh-so-desperately wish the word sour appeared on this bottle. For me, if it's going to be fruity, it should be sweet. If I want a sour beer, I have outlets for that. If the word sour had appeared on the bottle, fair play, but no such luck.

Mouthfeel - Like a watery amber ale. My mouth is too puckered to feel anything.

Drinkability - This was a chore for me to finish. Never again! I'm out ten bucks and feel like a sucker. I have had cherry lagers before, and I sort of know what to expect with a name like that, but when you call your beer a kriek, I feel it should have a nice sweetness to it and a strong malt backbone to stand up to the fruit and give it a balanced mouthfeel rather than a tannic puckerbomb.

But, hey, if they told the truth - that this tastes like Fat Tire with Sour Patch Kids (sugar-free Sour Patch Kids?) thrown in - they'd never get $10 for it.

4.15/5  rDev +15.9%

Appearance: Coca-Cola in color, viscosity and transparency. 1/2" white head foams up and immediately evaporates.
Smell: Cherries, dark roasted malts, white pepper, green apples.
Taste: Black currants, green apples, oak, roasted malts, chocolate. Butter and a little tobacco in the finish.
Mouthfeel: Light bodied, thin carbonation. Drying, tannic finish.
Drinkability: Crisp, light and refreshing. A stout for the beach.
Verdict: Combination's good, but overpriced at 10 bucks/bottle. Would be better if it was live, with some Belgian yeast character.

3.73/5  rDev +4.2%

22 received from pokesbeerdude ... Thanks a bunch Chuck on a super trade!! Poured it into my Chimay goblet...

Aggressive pour revealed only about a 3/4" head that left no lace and only a descent cap.. the brew appears a deep amber until it's held to a light and brilliant crystal clear ruby appears.

Honestly... the nose is sorta lacking.. pale malts and only the slightest whiffs of funk or fruit... more fruit and acetic note show as it warms.. but it's still not really there.

Flavor is better.. obviously the cherries are in the front with mildly acidic for the style ... a little vinegar but it's easily missed.. mouthfeel is about medium with quite a bit of carbonation ... still pretty smooth... Wish I had an old bottle of the Transatlantique Kriek to compare it to... a little bit of toasty malt shows as it hits room temperature and it becomes quite a bit more well "blended"... could use more complexity across the board.

Not sure what I was expecting on this one.. It is faaarrr from a fruit lambic.. resembling more a cross between a Flanders Red and a lightly funky Oud Bruin... Don't get me wrong... This isn't a "bad" beer... it's just the Kriek label and the BA category is going to leave people scratching their heads... That said, I sorta like it for what it is.. and it's fairly drinkable.. Thinking I'm gonna save my other bottle and share with the Boise locals.... Thanks again Chuck... Proper trade for sure.. Let me know if you ever need anything else available here.

Edit: as this one hits room temperature... it's growing on me.. tasty.. just not what I was expecting.

3.5/3/4/3.5/4

2.48/5  rDev -30.7%

Amber ale-like appearance. Copper colored with a thin, creamy white head. It doesn't have a pink head and sadly, it's not bottle conditioned. I can't imagine a worse overall look for a Kriek. The nose doesn't offer much. Mostly muddled, but some notes of cherry, sweat and salt. Sensations of sweet and sour upon tasting, with a juicy cherry character. Cherry pie-like character. A decent fruit beer, with a lightly soured character, but lots of sweetness as well. From the package to the beer, New Belgium isn't offering anything serious to the Belgian beer enthusiast. A brewery like New Belgium, with skilled brewing talent, is capable of producing a much better beer.

3.5/5  rDev -2.2%

Thanks goes out to pokesbeerdude for this one.

Poured into a tulip a clean/clear dark amber/ruby red color, some carbonation, little fizzy off-white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, slight yeast, cherries. The taste is slightly sweet/yeasty, sour/tangy. Medium body. Drinkable, not what I was expecting.

3.68/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a nice dark ruby with a small head and good lacing.

Scent of cherries and a bit of sourness, not much to it, but it is pretty good.

Taste is the same, cherries, somewhat sour and with a hint of wood. Nothing to make a fuss about but this is a quality beer.

Mouthfeel is light bodied, crisp, and smooth.

3.93/5  rDev +9.8%

Bomber poured into my De Proef tulip, the Lips Of Faith Dark Kriek is a clear, spritzy purplish brown with a somewhat quickly settling off-white head, leaving light, scattered lace.

Smell is sweet, sour cherries, a little mineral acidity, even hints of lemon citrus.

Taste is really pretty nice, pretty much exactly what I expected. A nice little Oud Bruin, which I normally don't like as much as Flander's Reds. And while I'd like more acidity, the maltiness and funk balanced the cherries very nicey, plenty of fruity flavor but not overly sweet or sugary. Some of the other reviews had me wishing I hadn't bought two bottles, but I'm digging this offering from New Belgium, not a terrible price either for the bomber at about $10.

Mouthfeel is on the thick and malty side, with a drier finish from the alcohol, which is the only real indication of it's strength. Doesn't seem overly sour or funky, but the acidity and tannins really build up in the mouth, coating my teeth. Don't forget to brush before you go to bed if you're having this as a night cap.

Drinkability is good, really hit the spot as a dessert beer after a big pot of mussels. While it met my expectations for sure, it's really not that sour or funky, mainly some tartness from the cherries - which is why it's called a kriek!

1.2/5  rDev -66.5%

Chilled bomber into a red wine glass.

A: Normally I don't care about presentation and pour into the same type of beer mug, but this looks like a wine so I figured it would be interesting to have it in a red wine glass. The effect is amazing. Dark ruby / amber with reddish hightlights against the lamp. Initially poured with an inch of cream-colored head. Fine champagne bubbles leave a pleasing quarter-inch thick film on the brew. When I take a swig, the back of the entire glass is coated with a thick wall of foam.

S: Tart cherry and wood, with light notes of hay, brett funk, and caramel malt. The wild yeast is fairly restrained in the aroma; it doesn't smell like much of a wild ale at all.

T: Following the nose, it first tastes like a barrel-aged tart cherry soda. Some caramel / bready malt defines the mid-taste, and the finish is lightly sour, progressing into a generally watery close. No alcohol detected. This doesn't taste like much of a wile ale, either. For the category it is a pretty weak offering, tasting more like a fruit beer with some wild 'tendencies' instead of putting the wild yeast and barrel up front and center.

M: Thinner than medium-bodied, with fine champagne carbonation. Feels kind of like a cheap soda. Lots of sticky residue that make it really gross after a while.

D: Sour ales seem to be en vogue in the beer world. Unfortunately, this is a bottom-shelf representation of the style; every other AWA I've tried is better.

3.48/5  rDev -2.8%

Bottle courtesy of BigEBeer. Pours a clear reddish brown with a small tan head. Aroma of light, sugary fruits (a touch of cherry perhaps). Flavor of darker fruits (more currants than cherry), some oak barrel, and cinnamon. This kind of reminds me of Kirs (cassis syrup + champagne). Spritzy mouthfeel. A touch of sourness but not as fruity as I'd like. This was a little disappointing.
8/4/7/3/14 (3.6/5)

1.1/5  rDev -69.3%

This beer is the equivalent of Samuel Adams Cranberry Lambic, except more exorbitantly over-priced. When one pays $10 for 22 ounces of beer which is described as a kriek, one does not expect to get a bottle of cherry soda pop. A brewery who charges this type of price for this type of product with the description that was on this bottle doesn't respect their brand or their customers. I want my money back before I buy another beer from this brewery.

3.73/5  rDev +4.2%

22oz bottle.

Poured a medium reddish/brownish color with an averaged sized off white head. Aromas of woodiness, some funk, cherries, and some berries. Tastes of cherries (semi-sweet start with a nice lighter tart), woodiness, citrus, and the same lighter funkiness. Alcohol content well hidden. Not that bad of a Fruit Beer.

3.2/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours dark red color with thin off-white head. Smell - candied cherries, very champaigne-like smell, that is pretty much it, perhaps some malts coming through as well. Taste - very sour cherries at first followed by some malty sweetnes. Kinda one dimentional brew, but I'm not sure if it's ment to be complex, I'm not that familiar with the style. Very carbonated and crisp, alcohol hidden very well, lemonade-like mouthfeel. It is very interestin brew, I wouldn't call it drinkable though, I had problems finishing the bomber, but may be it's just me. I would give it another try in a while and see what happens.

3.5/5  rDev -2.2%

03/03/09- Purchased at Healthy Spirits in San Francisco, CA.

Presentation- 22oz bottle, either a late 2008 release, or early 2009. Poured into my New Belgium tulip glass.

Appearance- Deep red colored pour. Off white 1/4 inch head on pour. Quickly disappears after pour. Leaves some light spots of lace behind.

Smell- Dark cherry notes. Good amount of sugar as well. Don't really detect any of the wood barrel they are talking about.

Taste- Thankfully it's not a sweet syrupy mess like I thought it was going to be. Definitely sweet, but has a light malt flavor to bring it back to earth. You can barely make out the woody barrel not in the flavor...it is there though. Not any real hops to speak of.

Mouthfeel- Medium carbonation level, a tad thick and sticky. Cherry flavor lasts, but not overly long.

Drinkability- Overall it's fine, but traditional lambic it is not. Drinkable, but also passable if need be. Kinda like a re-bottling of their old Transatlantique Kriek.

4.33/5  rDev +20.9%

Appearance: Garnet/red, but very dark with some light passing through. Medium-medium high clarity. Head formation is minimal and short lived.

Smell: Definitely smell those cherries along with the tartness I'd expect from a spontaneously fermented ale. It's not sour, just tart so there's even a bit of sweetness from the fruit. Looking forward to seeing how this one tastes!

Taste/Mouthfeel: This is in fact very palatable. It's not sour, or pungent or overbearingly "vinegary" which I've experienced with some hardcore Lambics. If anything, this is one of the sweetest Lambic's I've ever tried. The aroma is spot on, not eluding to anything that is or isn't there. Medium carbonation, sightly sweeter finish.

Drinkability: I personally really like this beer. It's a little sweet and not typical of a traditional Lambic, but that's what I like about it. I can taste the fruit, and not my taste buds aren't just bombarded with an overly tart sourness. I could drink another few bottles methinks.

3.33/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Clear bright red color. Poured a 2 finger light tan head that dissipated to an even skim. Inconsistent lacing; like the "fingers" in wine instead of lacing in beer.

S: Sour cherries, sweet malt and alcohol.

T: Sweet malt is fist then tart cherries. Hop spices and oak in the finish.

M: Light body. Low carbonation. the combination gies it a nice feel. Sweetness lingers in the dry finish.

D: Very interesting choice. Split and sipped half the magnum with a friend was a good call as the sweet/sour and abv wore on me.

3.25/5  rDev -9.2%

A - Crystal clear ruby color. Thin tan head barely reaches a finger before fading to nothing.

S - Sour cherries and vinegar. Some earth and must. That's about it, really.

T - Cherries, vinegar, and dirt. Tart, but not sour. No real oak to speak of. All of the major Lambic flavors, without the subtle complexities. Seems to have been bottled before it got a chance to get interesting. Not bland, just seriously lacking in depth.

M - right for the style. Medium-light body and effervescent carbonation.

D - Good, I suppose.

Possibly the least complex sour I've ever had. It's not really even that sour (if at all). A letdown for sure.

2.5/5  rDev -30.2%

A - Crystal clear ruby body with a small amount of off pink head and only a little bit of lacing.

S - some cherry notes everything else is confused in it

T - Kind of bland. You can tell there is some cherry and oak and some funky sourness but overall just taste bland

M - Medium body with medium carbonation

D - Not hard to drink but isn't very that enjoyable.

P.S. My bottle might have been bad

3.53/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Brown, bright crimson with a thin tan bubbly head that disappears immediately.

S - Malty sweetness with light sour cherry, spices and oak.

T - Sweet malt in a sour brown ale way, tart cherry, a touch of spice and mild oak.

M - Light carbonation creates a full moutfeel, slightly sticky with a dry finish.

D - Not a bad beer at all but I expected a lot better from New Belgium after having tried a few of their sours. This one reminds me more of a very lightly soured brown than a lambic.

2.9/5  rDev -19%

Poured into a DFH snifter.

Very familiar vinegar-like smells as well as cherries. Smell is nice. However, the taste does not deliver. This beer is sort of a mess. For me, the flavors never come together. The cherry flavor is strong, which is not a bad thing. There is an oaky quality to the beer and some cola notes. There is very little sourness common to the style. I would not consider this a lambic nor would I necessarily call it a fruit beer in the sense that the cherries are the main focus of the beer. The barrel aging seems to dampen the fruit flavors.

I just don't get it. Not really a sour and not a great example of a barrel-aged beer. For me, it just misses the mark.

3.65/5  rDev +2%

Bottle from the Davis Co-Op shared with my wife on valentine's day. Pours a dark brown with excellent clarity and a short, unstable head. Laces fairly cleanly. Vague cherry odor with similarly vague chocolate in there too. Flavor is mildly tart cherries on a chocolate malt base. Yeasty, biscuity notes that i recognize as common to most N.B. beers. Cherry tartness increases somewhat but doesn't approach sour...much more of a sweet beer than any kind of lambic. Medium bodied. Drinks well. Nothing to call home about but nice to sit and enjoy after dinner.

3.1/5  rDev -13.4%

I confess...I'm writing this review a few hours after I drank this. I took no notes and it's all from memory.

Picked up a bottle at the local store. I'm not sure if it was cold enough but the wife said she was thirsty so I didn't cool it down further.

The beer pours a beautiful red and clear color. Very, very clear. I stuck my nose in the glass right when I poured and I smelled sour cherries and alcohol, but I smelled again a minute later and I couldn't smell anything. We were using wine glasses so we could really stick out noses in it, but the smell didn't stick. This stuff needs to be agitated to kick up a smell.

The taste was average. Pretty fruity. Not sweet or too sour. It didn't seem complex in any way. The alcohol reminds you you're not drinking juice, but there really isn't a lot else behind it. The bottle was empty in no time but it didn't feel like I'd really experienced much.

Good value- $4 at my local place. There aren't a lot of Krieks in this price range that I see, so I'd get it to introduce the style to others or to satisfy a cherry craving I'm having at any particular moment.

3.35/5  rDev -6.4%

Ok, I was suckered by the name and hype...what I got was an underdeveloped, mediocre beer :(

Sweet silkscreened bottle, saving it for a glass project...anyone local that has empties to donate, let me know. Looks pretty in a Duvel tulip, ruby glint in direct light, light brown otherwise. Foamy head on the first pour, after that it was kinda weak. A broken skim was left behind after a few minutes. Minimal lace.

A yeasty, sweet wort aroma, lightly metallic with a vague cherry essence. Tasting it reminds me of a locally made wild ale Philosopher's Stone, due to the slight toasty malt component. Cherry flavor is there, barely registers, sort of slapdash up against the dominant malt flavors. Not really tart in the traditional sense of Kriek, Lambic, etc. Not a Lambic at all, for that matter. More of a weak attempt at a sour brown ale without the sour. Some earthy toasted malt and vegetal celery, dried cherry eventually comes through.

Full bodied and slick on the palate. Really needs some barrel aging to redeem it. It has no sediment, i'm thinking it's filtered, so no use cellaring it. Better luck next time New Belgium, you get a frowny face sticker for this one....

3.98/5  rDev +11.2%

22 oz bottle poured into New Belgium Chalice

A - Pours with cola-like effect: dark brown with ruby accents and a light tan, mellow head. Lacing is minor.

S - Dark sour cherries with a complimentary dose of oaked malt sweetness. Spicy alcohol starts to awaken in the scent as this beer warms.

T - Starts with a bit of syrupy dark cherry sweetness, and that main flavor never really leaves your tastebuds. Alcohol is apparent with a whiskey-esque oaked flavor. These two main flavors are nicely combined, but there isn't much room for more subtle flavors with these strong tastes competing. Very tart and sour.

M - High carbonation with a tart, puckering mouthfeel. Light to medium body and a slightly dry finish.

D - Dark malt adds some interesting flavor that a normal kriek wouldn't present. Alcohol is doable for a bomber and flavor stays interesting throughout. A bit pricey, but its nice to see New Belgium trying these classic Belgian styles.

Lips Of Faith - Dark Kriek from New Belgium Brewing