Lips Of Faith - Transatlantique Kriek - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Lambic - Fruit |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Oxymoron on 07-09-2009

In a never-ending quest to create new beers and defy category, New Belgium Brewing and Brewerij Boon of Belgium have partnered together again to create Transatlantique Kriek - a spontaneously fermented lambic ale made with Polish cherries.

This authentic kriek beer began life in the oaken vessels at Frank Boon's brewery in the Lembeek region of Belgium. After more than two years aging, Boon's offering shipped across the Atlantic and found its way to the intuitive palate of New Belgium's Brewmaster Peter Bouckaert. After much sampling and internal consultation, Peter and his brew staff created a full-bodied golden lager to round out the light-bodied kriek.

The cherry nose gives way to a pleasingly sour flash across the palate that rolls gently into a slightly sweet finish. Crisp, effervescent carbonation keeps the mouthfeel bright and delightfully tingly.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - Transatlantique Kriek Alström Bros
Ratings: 738 | Reviews: 225

Chilled bottle into a glass. From notes salvaged from who-knows-when.

A: Pours a light, cherry-soda red (pink, really) with a light red (pink, really) head.

S: Cherry cough syrup: sugars, some booze, cherry skins, tartness. No sourness or anything lambic-like in the nose. A valiant effort to misrepresent a time-honored style. It makes me see red (pink, really).

T: Cherry pie-like, almost. Sweet cherry, tartness, a m-i-l-d lactic sourness, some oak. I was able to tolerate it for a few sips, but then my body refused and my lips involuntarily sealed as I began bringing it to my mouth.

M: The beer doesn't seem to have mixed properly. Sips range from thin and watery to thick and sweet.

D: This is one of those beers I use as an example of why I don't take New Belgium seriously.

1.12/5  rDev -68.1%

Clear and tawny colored, poured with a small white head that dissipated quickly. Massive diacetyl aroma with a hint of Maraschino cherry beneath it. It's like buttered cherry. Or cherry butter, more accurately. The taste is equally vile and buttery, with surprisingly minimal fruit flavor and no sourness to speak of. Slick, coating mouthfeel, no finesse whatsoever and a horrible lingering diacetyl finish. This beer is a fucking trainwreck, avoid at all costs.

1.64/5  rDev -53.3%

Consumed at the sour tasting that I organized with friends. Split with many people. Thanks for the bottle, Ken. Poured into a tulip glass from a 22oz bomber.

Pours a pretty color, as far as krieks go - slightly ruby, with reddish overtones, and perhaps undertones of pink and magenta. Actually, now that I think about it, that seems like the same description of some mass-produced and packaged fruit punch. Ehh, regardless, there's a good off-white head on this, decent carbonation, and some lacing. Not cloudy in any way whatsoever, which is bizarre - shouldn't you condition Lambics, even when they're blended? Not bad for what it is, but the difference between this and, say, Lindemans, is questionable.

Smells really, really weird - either something's wrong or my nose was broken at the time of tasting. Squash, pumpkin spice, nutmeg, cinnamon, pecans, straw, and then (finally!) notes of anything *but* cherries, ranging from cranberries to raspberries. Okay, so if they were going for Thanksgiving in a bottle, they succeeded spectacularly here, but otherwise this is just... Wrong. The finish is slightly medicinal in the same realm of Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. No funk or subtlety whatsoever - just bad grainy husky sensations, bad off-flavors, and no balance.

The flavor has got to be the absolutely worst part of all of this - at first, there's not much of a flavor to speak of, with only some toasted, biscuit-y flavors coming through. Then, the pumpkin pie spices come back in (especially cinnamon and nutmeg), as well as some strange vegetal flavors of squash or cabbage, and then finishes extremely phenolic and medicinal with notes of cherry cough syrup and under-ripe berries. Not pleasant at all to drink, as it gets increasingly musty with each sip. Feels strange in the mouth - grainy, thin, and astringent. I had no fun drinking this - the worst one all night.

Man, I heard this was not too great, but this is almost offensive (given the price tag of $14 as well). Did they blend the Boon kriek with their Fat Tire amber ale by any chance? None of the curious and rustic aspects of the Lambic come through here - worst off, it just tastes bizarre and reeks of off-flavors. This has to objectively be one of the weirdest and simultaneously mediocre beers I've ever had. I'll be extra careful about trying any of the Lips of Faith beers in the future.

1.67/5  rDev -52.4%

Pours kind of a ruddy ... well, it's a bit of a reddish ... err ... yeah, it's pink. Maybe a shot of cranberry in there. Tight, pinkish white foam that died down to a thin film/crust in a few minutes.

Smells like ... kind of medicinal cherries, actually. Not much vinegar, zest, citrus, funk, what have you in the aroma. This is a lambic? Ugh. I am less than whelmed.

Taste awful. Mildly tart, but still slightly medicinal cherry, the barest, barest hint of soury/acidic twang ... it's pretty lacking, really. Just an awful herbal/medicinal/parkay flavoring to it.

Nicely carbonated.

Palate wearying, and would never touch again with a ten foot pole.

1.92/5  rDev -45.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.75

2015 version with Oud Beersel. Tastes like New Belgium got all of the leftover Oud Beersel lambic barrels that were unblendable, racked them onto some old sweaty gym socks for a few months, pasteurized, then spiked with Robitussin cough syrup at bottling.

1.94/5  rDev -44.7%

A: Pours a ruby/pink color. A two finger pinkish head forms, and recedes in a second. Light lace.
S: A really bad mix of diacetyl and cherry syrup. A leathery or rubber aroma as well. Just bad.
T: Again, a very large buttery diacetyl flavor. Artificial and syrupy cherries. Really bad.
M/D: A medium body with decent carbonation. This is really hard to drink. I am struggling to finish the glass, let alone the bomber.

Avoid. I really like New Belgium, and a lot of the Lips of Faith beers. This is just bad though. There is nothing Lambic about this. They need to go back to the drawing board with this. I feel cheated, and I need a good beer now.

Disappointingly tasteless. Slight cherry-ish taste. Faint nose. Unsatisifying ending.

2.06/5  rDev -41.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

The beer was served chilled in a tulip. This beer came my way via my SS 2010. Thanks again man!

Appearance: The body of the beer is a light cranberry coloration. The head is a lightly pink stained white coloration. The head resolves into a thin ring of film.

Smell: Tart cherries and slightly sweeter cherries great my nose. I smell the oak in the aroma but somehow the lactic buggy tones are overly subtle. The smell of the beer is bland.

Taste: Sweet cherries give way to a lightly tart cherry flavor. The flavor has tanic tones and again a vaguely lactic nature. The flavor leaves me a bit flat. Over all I find the beers flavor bland.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The body of the beer is light not watery. The lactic tones are never to the puckering level. Alcohol is nowhere present in the flavor. If its possible the beers mouthfeel is bland. The beer isnt a drain pour but I became quickly bored with it. This beer was a major let down.

2.42/5  rDev -31.1%

A: The appearance of this beer is great. A beautiful ruby red color with a thin bubbly head

S: Smells like dried sweet cherries, which is good, but then also smells of cough syrup, not good.

T: The taste is very similar to the smell. It is sweet cherry syrup, similar to a medicine. The tartness is VERY faint.

M: Very thick sweetness, but finishes fairly dry

Overall, I do not like this beer. It is not a kriek at all. More like a fruit beer, and not a good one.

2.42/5  rDev -31.1%

I drank this from the bottle into a chalice.

It pours a very bright red with a pink head that doens't last long and no lacing.

The aroma is very light, hardly can smell anything but you can pick up notes of tart cherry.

This lambic tastes more bitter than anything but a sour alcohol, you can barely detect the cherries. A very disappointing lambic.

2.45/5  rDev -30.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

1pt 6oz bottle poured into an oversized tulip.

S - Some faint cherry tartness. Really muted aroma altogether. Papery-oxidized.

A - Pink head full of tight bubbles holds a nice cap of foam. The color is red like cherry Koolaid and has perfect clarity. Lots of stick lacing.

T - Bland flavors. Neutral base malt early. Can detect some cherry character. Some tartness accompanied by zero sweetness. Some prickly carbonation and alcohol in the finish.

M - Thin, moderate carbonation, semi-dry.

O - Very drinkable but offers little in flavor. With a second opinion was described as Natty light with cherries. Dissapointed in the lack of aroma and flavor. Appearance and carbonation were its highlights.

2.53/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

I've come across quite a bit of beers brewed with cherries just in the past year, most of them highly enjoyable. I decided to give the Kriek a try, though I was worried it might be a little too cherry because the description on the bottle didn't give me much else to go by.

Upon opening and pouring the bottle, I realized the ale was just what I was afraid of. The appearance resembled more of a mead and seemed over fruity. In taste the beer was more tart then I expected, which was it's only attribute. There was not much body or other layers going on for the beer, just overly sweet cherry that resembled cough syrup. I almost felt like I was drinking cheap wine.

I have many great lambics but would not buy this beer again. I do not feel the same way about other beers on the Lips of Faith line, but this one was just not for me. I actually did not finish my beer which is rare. The only use I could make of it would be to cook with it.

2.54/5  rDev -27.6%

I was excited to see a new sour on the whiteboard at The Eastside(Oly beer mecca) last evening. After first getting a pour off the secret tap I saddled up to the bar and asked for a pour of this red goddess. It's looks like a fake Irish woman's head, red and red with no hint of realism. It rakes your nostrils with a little tart, a little cherry, a little funk, a little happiness. The smell excited me more than that fake redhead two tables down.

And then, the taste. The sour is minimal, the cherries more pronounced, the flavor flat. 2 dimensions, pedestrian, a dry Lindemans. The sparks on my tongue comes more from carbonation that sour, it's a fizzy soda with a hint of disappointment. A Kriek version of Fat Tire, the safe way to brew.

2.59/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Cloudy, beautiful red with a brownish hue. White head. Little lace and retention.

S: Sorta funky & sour, but in a juice kind of way.

T: Again, slight cherry juice. Nothing special. Disappointing.

M: Sweet and good but no body or character.

O: Like a sour cherry lollipop and sugary water. Meh.

2.6/5  rDev -25.9%

Pours a red color with a light pink head which fades quickly leaving no lacing. The aroma has a combination of sweet and tart cherries with green apple. Not overly appealing.

The taste has tart cherries, with a little bit of sweetness and green apples. Quite a bit of tartness and some oak as well. Not one of the better tasting Lambics I have had.

Light to medium bodied with below average carbonation. Has a dry finish. I am not very impressed by this beer. It was stored properly. Just not very good.

2.61/5  rDev -25.6%

Pours a light fizzy head. Leaves some lace. Color is a clear bright grapefruit red.

Nose: All sweet cherries. Not tart. Light oak, spice. A little but of funk and medicinal notes. Nothing over the top.

Taste: Cherry cough syrup. Reminds me of cherry pie. Very sweet. Creamy. A bit of alcohol shows. Some spices and bread show. Not good.

Mouthfeel: Sweet and cloying. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends dry.

Overall, not drinkable. I won't finish a lot of this beer. Just doesn't have a lot going on. There are much better lambics out there.

2.69/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

22 ounce bomber with no date that I could see

Doesn't look much like a beer, looks like cherry soda. It's reddish burgundy in color with a dark red hued head. The head has minimal retention.

The nose is of cherries and vinegar. Normally I like cherry beers, but not so much with the vinegar kicker.

I'm slightly surprised by the taste in that it lacks the puckering, almost non-drinkable vinegar taste. The taste is mildly of tart cherries with only a splash of the vinegar taste to break things up a bit. Some of the maltiness of the beers finally makes an appearance in the finish.

It's tart, but not like real Krieks. I can actually stomach this. Sweetness early, then the tart takes over. Very acidic, but drinkable. Tart, dry finish. Not smooth.

I don't care for the style but I keep buying them hoping to find one I like. I'm still looking. This doesn't look or smell like a beer, doesn't take much like one. It's doesn't go down easy. One of these days I'm going to stop buying these damned things.

2.7/5  rDev -23.1%

This was the most expensive wine cooler that I have ever purchased... After checking out new belgium night and being blown away by their sours at beachwood, this was the only I didnt get the chance to try, naturally I snatched it up when i saw it at bev warehouse.

I have been a HUGE fan of the lips of faith series until about an hour ago... Bottle La Terroir. Thats worth the cash. I wouldnt pay $5 for this bomber let alone 10

2.71/5  rDev -22.8%

02.07.10 at Toronado

A: so promising, with its pretty, clear ruby color

S: fruit-forward, mostly cherries, of course, and can sense a touch of sour

T: whoa, am I drinking carbonated grenadine?

M: fully syrup-like, but with a drier-than-expected finish

D: I could, but I probably won't

What am I going to do with the 750mL I have at home? I was expecting so much more from this, especially since I'm not in love with their Kriek, either. How long can I age something with that much fruit in it? Would that even help?

2.72/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Disappointing taste. Medicinal and not in that good lambic, aged way. Faint nose. The finish is empty. This is a soulless encapsulation of capitalism and other pretentious, completely unrelated beer things.

2.76/5  rDev -21.4%

pours light cranberry red with a 1+ finger redish head that fades to a film

smell - not very strong - cherries and brett

taste - brett right of the bat next cherries sour tart lemon

mouthfeel - no zip no bite wheres the carbonation???

drinkability - overpriced lacking flavor = will not being buying again

2.76/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a standard pressure-cap bottle into a New Belgium tulip in high elevation Libby, Mont. I don't see a best-by date. Reviewed live.

A- Inch thick pink head with low retention. Some soapy pink lacing. Deep cherry color with high clarity in the body. This beer is surprisingly red. Above average for novelty, but retention is too low to warrant anything higher, particularly with an 8.0 abv.

S- Tart cherries, oak and sour brett. Slight funkiness, not as layered and complex as I have come to be used to from good sours.

T- Cherries, some woodenness, a little tartness, but honestly nothing that wows me.

M- Thin, slightly vinous and bubbly, but not a whole lot of substantial feel.

O- Disappointed with this beer, particularly considering how good the La Folie was by New Belgium.

2.8/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

I suspect that they cheated at making this beer and if not, then this beer was sick.

Beer is reddish and hazy with a thin pink head, no lacing. Carbonation moderate to low. Looks fine.

Cherry, mild wood, mild lactic note. Smells OK.

Hmmm....medium in body, really creamy in the mouth, good levels of carbonation, there is just one thing wrong with this beer, it tastes terrible. Its straight lactic acid, the cherry tartness is so late and completely absent in the front that it comes off as medicinal completely. Its like cherry candy mixed with yogurt...not my thing. I've had a lot of "lambics" and this misses the mark completely. There is no citric or acetic brightness, there is no forward cherry flavor or sweetness at all, it's a tart mess. Lactic bomb. Its not a good stand alone flavor IMO. Parallel beers balance it with fruit or make the sourness harsher with additional mixed acids. This tastes like an amateurish attempt at a sour ale by a homebrewer that realized that if he just added 1 ounce of lactic acid per gallon you would get a sour beer. Will not repeat.

2.81/5  rDev -19.9%

pours like carbonated cranberry juice with a deep but transparent red body and a rose laced white head of tiny bubbles that ring the glass gracefully. this is a very "feminine" looking beer, if that is even possible or makes sense at all. the smell is largely of belgian yeast with only a hint of the cherry sweetness promised by the bottle, and alcohol undertones. not very enticing.

flavor is decent in the beginning and through the middle. not all that sour, but it starts off with a great cherry sweetness that i have grown to love, and gives way to a carbonation burst of sugary alcohol. the finish and aftertaste, however, are not too pleasing. much, much too dry, which opens the floodgates to the bready, belgian yeasty flavor that can only be good in moderation. its very decent, but there is nothing at all special about it.

as expected, its very carbonated, but my main complaint over mouthfeel is the SUPER-lightness. very airy, which is to be expected with lots of carbonation, but the body itself is thin like water. as far as drinkability goes, i WILL finish the bottle, but i wouldn't want any more.

edit: i drainpoured the last 6 or 7 ounces, so drinkability takes a hit.

2.81/5  rDev -19.9%

22oz. bottle poured into a stemmed glass. No bottled date.

(A)- Pours a hazy ruby blood-red color that produced a quickly dissipating pink head.

(S)- Tons of creamy cherry pie aromas. Very juice-like of cranberry/cherry combo. Just a small bit of yeast.

(T)- Rather thin fruit flavors. Slightly dry with a mild yeast kick. The good fruits are tasted initially, but just disappear off the tongue into a bland finish.

(M)- A very low carbonation for the style. Because of that, it feels rather syrupy in texture, but in flavor almost tastes watered down.

(D)- I am not very impressed with this Kriek. Its rather boring. I enjoy breweries trying more obscure beer styles, but I am not a fan of this one. Particularly when the style is referenced, this doesnt follow it well. For $11.99 a bottle, I was even more disappointed.

Lips Of Faith - Transatlantique Kriek from New Belgium Brewing