Lips Of Faith - Biere De Mars - New Belgium Brewing

Colorado, United States

Bière de Garde |  6.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: mattmaples on 07-20-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - Biere De Mars Alström Bros
1.36/5  rDev -62.9%

From a bottle to my Darkness Snifter.

Pours a pale amber color. Pretty light. One finger of white head. Lacing is present.

I take a whiff and my first thought is ruh-row. This can't be good. Read the bottle. Ale with spices. Crap. I roll up the sleeves and give it a second attempt. I get clove. For sure, shitty clove in my beer. Spicy ethnic food is what comes to mind. Needless to say I'm nervous for what there is to come.

Well....My intuition is right. This tastes awful. The best way I can describe it is like this. When you've been sick and have thrown up. That acidic bile smell/taste that gets stuck in your nasal cavity. This is what this putrid crap brings to mind. I'm not kidding. It's awful.

The best thing going for this is you could use the bottle for a weapon after your done pouring it down the drain. New Belgium owes me some money.

2.27/5  rDev -38.1%

A: Nice orange color, slightly cloudy with a touch of white head on top and just enough retention for the style.

S: Slightly grainy smelling, with maybe a hint of funk. Also, heavily spiced with coriander and some floral notes

T: It tastes a bit like cardboard mixed with hints of honey and spices. No sourness, just mustiness that is underwhelming. Also some weird yeast notes. It is listed as a wild, which i guess i can see but there are really no brett notes present at all in this one.

M: A little rough around the edges and light

D: This was a drainpour for me, i drank my glass but could not finish the bottle

2.36/5  rDev -35.7%

22 oz bomber pours a clear, dark gold color with an ample 3 fingers worth of off-white foam. Nice retention and some pretty incredible sheets of lace are left behind.

Nose has some brett to it, but it is quite restrained. Cinnamon, coriander and nutmeg aromas are more prevalent and give this somewhat of a pumpkin ale characteristic. Other than that there are just some mild caramel and toasty malt notes. Not what I think of in a wild ale, nor a biere de mars.

Odd, I split a bottle with a buddy a few weeks ago and there was a much stronger brettomyces presence. This bottle hardly displays any brett and the spices seem to be much heavier. I much prefer the bottle I had previously, but my ratings reflect this sample. Honestly, I will have trouble finishing the whole bomber...the spices are way too much. There is very little else on the flavor. Not much malt and certainly very little hops. This is easily the tamest wild ale I have ever had. Wondering what spices were used, coriander for sure and I am guessing some cinnamon and allspice, maybe even some cloves. Bottle says lemon verbena...some sort of lemon-esque herb? Me no likey. I will not be purchasing this one again, that is for sure.

2.49/5  rDev -32.2%

Biere De Mars pours a hazy golden color, with a nice large frothy head. There is a very strong yeasty aroma, with hints of spices, and oranges. The taste has some notes of orange, then it becomes sour, very yeasty and thick. The flavor is full, but I don't want this flavor hanging around. Overall I didnt care for this, it does have a full flavor, but too thick in taste.

2.49/5  rDev -32.2%

Draught @ New Belgium. Cloudy orange haze. Lemony nose with other hints of apple, passion fruits and peach. Light, grainy, toasty, herbal, almost minty flavor with a slight hint of a brettanomyces contribution. I’ve never been fond of this one. Southampton's Biere De Mars is like three-hundred times better.

2.5/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle: Poured a clear deep golden color ale with a large foamy head that disappeared way too quickly without any lacing. Aroma of spices with bland malt base and light dry Brett notes. Taste is also dominated by light spice mix with notes of bland Belgian style malt with a very faint funky aftertaste. Body is a bit light for style with average carbonation and no apparent alcohol. Very disappointing from a brewery who usual produce better offering.

2.53/5  rDev -31.1%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle on 2/15/10.

A - Pours a mostly clear orangish amber with 2 inches of soapy foam that quickly disappeared leaving plenty of lacing

S - slightly watered down brett and citrus aroma dominated by lemon

T - lemony flavor with some sort of spice, slightly brett funk, there is something weird, sort of lemon rind, but not good in my opinion

M - good carbonation, slightly metallic feel

D - not very drinkable in my opinion, the flavor is very off putting. Not sure if it would change over time, i have another bottle, maybe i'll let it sit for a few years, thats the next time I would want to try this one.

2.61/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This beer's lively carbonation rises up into a medium head over the hazy orange-gold body. But oh no how things go downhill from here...

The nose is musty and flatulent. This mustiness reminds me of the boxes of camping gear my parents used to keep in the basement. In fact, maybe they still do keep those boxes down there... I really can't get over this element, which carries over into the flavor.

Sorry, this beer is of little use to me.

2.66/5  rDev -27.5%

The beer pours a hazy dark yellow like a homebrew; however, that is acceptable for the style. What makes the looks of this beer astounding is the head. Holy moley, the head is rock-solid. Rocky rocky whiteness. And the lacing is quite impressive.

I'm not sure what I expected from the nose on this beer . . . but it is suprisingly muted -- especially considering . . .

The taste! Wow. I really enjoyed this beer during my first 'non-review' casual drink. Perhaps, since this is a semi-wild brew there is a fair amount of bottle-to-bottle variation, but I'm not sure how I feel about this guy at all. It tastes heavily of tootie-frootie gum. Tootie-footie that was rubbed in sweaty horse. Like I said, I really liked this beer last time, and that was (presumably) from the same batch and just a few days earlier.

The mouthfeel is bubbly and dry. Bone dry. Most likely from the bugs in the brew. However, the character really works for this beer.

It's confusing. How could it be so good last time and so unsatisfying this time? Very confusing indeed. Though I would check it out. I definately now know what brett contamination tastes like.

Thanks for letting me try this ColoradoBob. It's definately unique. It's like a rollercoaster that you puke after: you don't regret taking the ride, but you're not so sure you'd do it again.

2.76/5  rDev -24.8%

Appearance: This was a hazey, amber-orange beer with lots of chunks of yeast floating throughout. The cream colored head rose up big (up and out that is; I should pay better attention). It was fluffy and dense, settling down very slowly and leaving a lot of lace. The beer looked good, but it was all downhill from there.

Smell: The aroma was very light. Just some mild malt and a clean, crisp hoppiness. Possibly a whiff of yeast. I took a sniff directly from the bottle, and it smelled like a sour dish rag. Ecchhh! Let me just put that bottle way over there . . .

Mouthfeel: Very thin and very rough.

Taste: Besides the roughness of the mouth feel, the biggest thing I noticed about this brew was its dryness. There was a combination of sour tartness and hops upfront that quickly dissipated into nothing, leaving a very dry feeling in the mouth. Then, a funky after taste, partially because of the yeast, emerged on the sides of the tongue that just wouldn't go way. And trust me, I wanted it to.

As the beer warmed up, a little bit of malt flavor started to develop. While it did stop me from giving this beer an even lower "taste" rating, it did not save it.

This was my first and last time with this beer.

2.78/5  rDev -24.3%

Bottle purchased at The Rocket Market in Spokane. "Best before" date of June 3, 2004.

Poured a cloudy orange color, with a thin white head. Head dropped fairly quickly. Not much lace.

Smell was pretty basic, and was, frankly, less than I expected. There is nothing more than a maltiness that is somewhere between mild and weak. According to the label, this beer is "a celestial collaboration of oats, wheat, barley malt and lemon verbena" -I had to look this word up - still not sure what the hell it would taste like. If it's supposed to taste relentlessly bland, then it was adequately represented. Weak malts are all I detected here.

Taste is slightly better than the smell. In addition to the weak maltiness, there was a slight citrus tang - no doubt the lemon yadda yadda yadda. Still not very impressive.

Mouthfeel was relatively thin, not too impressive.

Drinkability? It doesn't actively taste bad, but it's not much better than that . It's primarily irritating, as I feel it seems like a beer that is vainly trying to be something, but I don't know what. I feel no need to perplex my taste buds further, so I shall not seek this out again.

2.82/5  rDev -23.2%

I had this at a tasting with a couple other BAs. It poured a light copper, very thin in body, with a light white head. The smell was very floral, like hibiscus, but not in a hoppy way whatsoever. It also had a lot of sourness to it, and was kind of bitter. The flavors weren't impressive at all. It had sourness to it but not in the appealing fashion. It was pretty one dimensional. This beer drank far too thin and was kind of typical of New Belgium. I didn't care for this and wouldn't recommend it.

2.84/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Draught at the Flying Saucer in Raleigh. Pours an extremely cloudy amber color with a smallish pillowy white head. They said it was near the end of the keg, so it may look a bit weird. Nose is subtle, but slightly malty. Taste is light and slightly sweet, but without a lot of substance to it. Meh.

2.84/5  rDev -22.6%

On-tap at the New Belgium Tap Room 3/20/09

A: Slightly hazy golden with a small, bubbly head. Light lacing.

S: Lemon and melon aromas with some sort of unpleasantness (Bathroom?)

T: Chalky, zesty, light phenols, slightly minty, mineral-like.

M: Light-medium in body, moderate carbonation. Dry with a lingering chalkiness.

D: Little malt or hops flavors - only mineral/chemical taste. Overall, OK, but not one that I would strongly recommend.

2.85/5  rDev -22.3%

A: Pours a light cloudy orangeish color, slight white head and very minimal lacing. Lots of whitish sediment floating in the glass.
S: Smells of yeast, sourdough bread, slight citrus smell.
T: Slight maltiness with peppery finish, kind of musty and bland as far as the taste goes.
M: Beer had a creamy mouthfeel went down very easily.
D: To my knowlege this is the first beer of this style that I have ever tried. This beer was a little bland for my liking, had a nice aroma to it but overall I don't think I would try again.

2.86/5  rDev -22.1%

Reviewed 1/4/2010 (Lips of Faith bottle):

Pours a clear light brown yellowish color body, with a big foamy white head, somewhat lasting. Funky sour sweet aroma, fizzy and fruity. Very light fruit, gone as the head dies down. Light sour taste, almost clean aftertaste. Some funkiness and earthiness, in the nose especially. More sour as it warms. Extremely light tasting, very light on the flavor.

2.86/5  rDev -22.1%

Murky medium amber with an impressive head of wheaten froth.

Aroma is strange and subdued. Bready and biscuit malts with some mushy wet-cardboard and earthy hops. Hints of dry citrus and musty wet concrete.

Flavor is strangely malty, concentrating on undercooked bread, saltines, and decomposing paper. It has faint hints od oily fruit and just a touch of musty and peppery yeast.

Body is on the light side, well-carbonated and has a harsh, almost abrasive mouthfeel. I've had better from NB.

2.91/5  rDev -20.7%

From 12/04/10 notes.

a - Pours an amber color with one finger of fluffy white head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of brett, sour fruits, floral hops, and some of that barnyard/musty smell. A little odd of a mix, didn't work great together.

t - Tastes of brett, sour fruits, floral notes, and earthy notes. Can't put my finger on it but something is off in the taste.

m - Light to medium body and moderate carbonation.

d - There was just something off in the smell and taste to me; not infected or anything, I just didn't feel that the mixture or smells and tastes worked well together. Wouldn't seek out again.

2.92/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bomber into a half-pint chalice.

A: Clear, light amber color with over one finger of off-white foam head. Heaving lacing remains and fine streams of bubbles climb the sides of the glass.

S: Mildewy aromatic malt is biscuity but slightly fetid. Spice is light and earthy, contributing a toasted quality.

T: Begins off-dry, with heavy malt that is bready and more refined toward the soft middle. Bitterness is mild and herbaceous toward the finish, slightly tea-like and earthy.

M: Medium viscosity, syrupy, lifeless, and slightly astringent on the palate, with low carbonation.

D/O: Mostly boring, it tastes like Fat Tire with an additional spice contribution. Its bland texture does nothing to elevate the experience, while the smell detracts in its resemblance to a forgotten dishrag. Compared to Jenlain Biere de Printemps, it is cleaner but far less interesting. Underwhelming and forgettable, it makes one wonder why this beer is occupying an exclusive space in the biennial Lips of Faith lineup.

2.92/5  rDev -20.4%

22oz bomber from a friend for $5 (he got it on sale). Poured into a Chouffe tulip. No dating info that I can find.

Appearance: Very clear, goldish orange color. One inch of head recedes to about a quarter inch, then eventually just a layer. Tight bubbles that stick to the glass in sparse patches at the top but no lacing otherwise.

Aroma: Very musty, maybe some orange peel. Lemongrass and some floral notes emerge after a bit. The best part of the beer in retrospect.

Taste: Orange at first, maybe white grapes. Definitely herbal too, but can't place what it is. Sweeter than I expected in the middle but a semi-dry finish with the juicy citrus flavor apparent in the aroma sticking around.

Mouthfeel: Lots of carbonation as expected, and very dry on the tongue in the finish.

Drinkability: Not sure I'd want to drink more than one of these (kinda glad I split the bomber), but the ABV is not apparent.

It's hard to give this beer average scores because it's good, but just not good for the style or for the brewery. A decent wild ale to try once, but not worth seeking out.

2.92/5  rDev -20.4%

If this is an American Wild Ale, It's one where the Brett hasn't kicked in at all. A standard Bier de Mars and not even a very good one at that with absolutely no hint of sourness or funk. Pours golden with the slightest bit of haze, a thin head and no lacing. Smells quite citrusy with orange and lemon at first, but there is also a slight soapiness at the end. The taste is fairly bland, somewhat slick and soapy, and vaguely fruity with an almost lager yeast finish. Overripe papaya and mango round it out. A little too slick and smooth in the mouth. Not at all what I was expecting and a definite disappointment.

2.93/5  rDev -20.2%

22oz bomber poured into FW tulip

A: Slightly foggy, golden-orange, light head, slight lacing

S: Some spice, cinnamon, cumin, jasmine?, some funk

T: Very light spice, faint apple, really not getting much tart from the described Brett, almost creamy finish, cardamom, falls off the palate at the end

M: Light bittering, good carbonation, decent oil

O: Drinkable, but not very exciting for the overall makeup, dont think I will re-visit.

A bit disappointed compared to some of the other Lips of Faith offerings.

2.95/5  rDev -19.6%

When poured, the color and hue were of an hazy, cloudy orange with no foam to speak of. The smell was of a wheaty citrus nature. Although the bottle said lemon verbena, I thought I picked up orange blossoms in the aroma. The taste was not what I expected from the smells and aroma. I got a bitter sour fell in my mouth and my palate. There is just a no nothing taste in this ale. What a dissapointment from New Belgium!

2.95/5  rDev -19.6%

A rare style you don't see around too often, but let's give it a try. Medium bodied, very tart taste. Kind of hard to describe, some honey and funkiness, maybe some apples in there. Bit of an odd finish too. I know it's a different style, but it just seemed to be kind of a mess and didn't work too well for me. Appreciate them trying something new, but too unbalanced for my liking.

2.96/5  rDev -19.3%

Pours a clear gold to light amber with plenty of carbonation that settles to quarter-inch or so of foam with Brussels lace. Smells a touch sour. Light caramel malt flavor with bitter finish and a touch lactic. Much more bitter than I expected and not bitter in a good way.

Lips Of Faith - Biere De Mars from New Belgium Brewing