Lips Of Faith - Biere De Mars - New Belgium Brewing

Colorado, United States

Bière de Garde |  6.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: mattmaples on 07-20-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - Biere De Mars Alström Bros
3.22/5  rDev -12.3%

Brew pours a bright orange with a dense 2-finger off white head and leads with a nose dominant with bright and florally citrus- orange and lemon verbena- with other tones of spice and bready malt. The palate's frothy delivery of dry, toasted biscuit malt and mild bitterness gets uplifted a little by the citrussy freshness and bit of Brett, but it succumbs on the finish to just a faint touch of that acid reflux-like twang that completely ruined the Clutch for me. At least a yeasty black pepper tone saves the finish a touch.

Overall, I can't really hate a lot on this brew, but it is rather unmemorable. I feel like farmhouse brews can be some of the most interesting and complexly flavored beers out there, and this one is supremely ho-hum.

3.23/5  rDev -12%

Appearance = Hazy opaque copper/orange. This glass reminds me of my favorite local unfiltered wheat beer, not a bad thing at all. Roars up to a thick creamy head that left fairly quickly, mild lacing. Medium carbonation.

Smell = light aroma of hops, fruit

Taste = initially sweet barley malts, followed by mild hoppy bitterness, some fruitiness. Dry finish.

Very decent late-winter French/Belgian style ale.

3.23/5  rDev -12%

A: Pours a hazy, golden orange with minimal head
S: Slightly funky, spicy: hints of pepper & citrus
T: Balanced and smooth, nothing jumps out at you; fairly sweet & funky aftertaste
M: Crisp, sparkling with a light to medium body

Overall, a pretty drinkable brew but nothing too exciting. Typical brett funk which is downplayed by the addition of the lemon/citrus notes and the high level of carbonation. A good example of the style but not one I would seek out again.

3.23/5  rDev -12%

I was really ready to get down on this beer, but I think I over hyped it in my own mind. The color was a straw tinted orange with a bit of haze and a chunky white head in my Duvel glass. Smells citrus with a little pinnaple or date over a sweet malt driven yeasty fullness. Taste is twisted and not really one I like a bit to citrus and the yeast messes weird with everything else. I will have to try this again but right now, not so much.

3.23/5  rDev -12%

Pours a orangy color, hazy if you dump all the yeast from the bottom of the bottle from the bottle-conditioning, otherwise only slightly cloudy.

You can smell fruity aromas along with a earthy, almost musty, roasted malt. Fizzy carbonation with light head.

Medium to light mouthfeel. Grainy with a fruity flavors. Spice kick at the end. No real bitterness but the yeast lingers too long if you poured the whole bottle out into the glass. Not bad however. High alcohol will sneak up on you with this smooth, light beer.

3.24/5  rDev -11.7%

Had on tap in a pint glass

Pours a very light golden color with a big fluffy head. Very sticky lace down the side of the glass

Very spicy almost smells like peppercorn also has some strong barly and alcohol notes.

Flavor is much like the nose except a sweeter spice seems to come out of it. Very boozy with a dry spicy finish.

Medium body pretty stragihtforward mouthfeel a slight bit oily and a good level of carbonation

Its to boozy for me to say I would want another one or that its easy to drink. Maybe I got the bottom of the keg and need to try it again.

3.24/5  rDev -11.7%

A - orange, nice white creamy head atop. not hazy as advertised.
S - you can smell the oats and the hops. quite nice and inviting.
T - fairly tasty. again the oats are definable. I taste no lemon verbena though, which is disappointing.
M - mouthfeel is lightly carbonated and smooth. -
D - ah, there is nothing special about this brew. It's not like it taste like crap, I just don't look forward to drinking another one.

3.24/5  rDev -11.7%

Pours a muggy yet still bright copper with sunshine hay highlights. Not much in the way of head or bubbling. Foggy morning green apples with some herbal notes of verbena and others I can't place. Also a tart blackberry aroma as well. The taste has odd tart fruits up front with some undertoned musk from the Brett. Lots of musk in the front of that palate thate recedes to watered down fuji apple juice. The plate is a little funky, tart of course, but vaguely fruity to an extent. This beer is just ok in my book. Glad I tried it, but for $9.99 I will not buy it again.

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured a decent white head- but where did it go so quickly? The smell is very familiar- the same bready scent with other new belgium products. Also minimal ? citrus (but BARELY). The taste- hmmm... there's that bread/ biscuit again, but it seems a little too familiar. Yeah, some citrus too, but it feels almost like it's just thrown in there. Average mouthfeel. I have to say, I could drink a few in a row, but there's no compelling reason to. Might as well have a few fat tires instead. Nothing that makes this one stand out from their flagship offering.

Review adapted from notes taken 7/10/10

Appearance: Light amber/orange with a fluffy head that turns into minimal lacing

Smell: Very interesting with some sourness and barnyard - some lemon, some bready malts

Taste: A slight disappointment considering the smell - very mild, not much sourness, some funkiness - lemon, orange - not bad but it tastes like it could be a lot better - some weird flavors in the mix, but they do work together

Mouthfeel: Light body with good carbonation, on the dry side

Overall: Definitely drinkable year-round, but I'm not sure if I would be interested in more than a bomber

This is certainly not a bad beer, but it is not as good as some of the other Lips of Faith beers. It has some interesting funk, but it kind of falls flat because the taste is too weak. It's not watery though, and I guess it would be good in the summer.

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

Appearance: Cloudy, yellowish/golden. Pours a light head.

Aroma: Fresh, mild spices, citrus. There's a hint of caramel as well.

Taste: Floral and orangy flavours, mixed with mild hops, yeast, and malt. Some bitterness in the aftertaste. Nothing particularly interesting; the added spices are mild.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, some light carbonation present.

Overall: I'm not overly impressed. It's a nice light ale with some promise, but it lacks depth. Easy enough to sip, and would fit a warm spring day, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get it.

3.26/5  rDev -11.2%

Appearance: Pours a hazy orange with copper edges. A foamy off-white head holds well at a finger thick.

Smell: The aroma is very earthy and malty with a dose of oats. There's a slight musty note from the yeast. There's a restrained citrus note that's a bit vague...maybe lemon. Towards the bottom of the glass I smell what reminds me of flour before it's baked and made into bread. The smell is a bit on the weak side.

Taste: Has a refreshing overall flavor from the wheat and oats, with a touch of hoppiness. The lemon flavor is quite faint, and it gives way to a touch of spiciness. I detect a bit of a chalky note as well. There's a strange, acidic undercurrent present from start to finish. I'm unsure of what this is supposed to be...

Mouthfeel: Over-cabonated with a spritzy, light mouthfeel. I imagine this could be a refreshing summer brew.

Drinkability:'s certainly a refreshing brew, but I was disappointed by what I expected to be a unique and interesting beer. It's a bit on the bland side...

3.26/5  rDev -11.2%

Hazy light orange in color with a thin head. Yeasty, estery aroma with a honey - like sweetness in the nose as well. Just a touch of wet horse - like Brettanomyces is discernible. It was definitely more horse - like and funky last year. Sugary, slightly cidery, sweetness dominates initially, and is followed by subtle bubblegum esters. Hop bitterness and flavor are kept to a minimum. Carbonation is quite high. Finishes with a slight bittersweetness on the back of the tongue. This years release seems dulled as compared to last years. Much less complex in aroma and flavor. Still-- this is a unique microbrew that definitely needs to be tried. I do feel the "dumbening" of this beer has actually improved its drinkability, however.

3.26/5  rDev -11.2%

A: A sort of orange/copper color, about one finger of white foam that recedes fairily quickly.

S: Spice, yeast, not really any sort of funk that I was expecting from the Brett.

T: Rather bland, especially for what I was expecting. Mild spice and yeast flavors, otherwise bready. Again, where's the brett?

M: Medium body, not much carbonation.

D: This beer is definitely not a wild ale, or not a very good one, anyway. There is almost no brett character and no sourness.

3.26/5  rDev -11.2%

Bought a 1 PINT, 6 FL. OZ. bottle of this from Lukas Liquor in Ellisville, MO for $7.99. Poured from the Bright Orange Labeled bottle into a 12oz Schlafly Tulip Glass. Has no freshness date on this bottle but its random with the Lips of Faith beers.

Aroma- Brett is the big time ingredient in this one! Straight to the nose. Sweet, malty, and light spices are all in the background too. A strange aroma for a Biere De Garde.

Appearance- Pours a 2.5 finger, frothy head that lasts for the longest time. Has a deep orange colored body with no clarity. Leaves thick lacing behind.

Flavor- The flavor starts off malty, sweet, and the Brett/Belgian flavor comes around again. Semi-Dry Finish. Straight to the point with this one.

Mouthfeel- Light-Medium Bodied, Highest Carbonation, Smooth, and brett finish with light hops and a pucker on the back of the tongue.

Overall Impression- An interesting Biere de Garde but didn't quite satisfy what I was wanting to find in this style. Not one of the top Lips of Faith beers either. The appearance was great but then went down hill from there. Wouldn't go back to again...

3.27/5  rDev -10.9%

About 4 oz. out of 22 poured into a sample glass.

A: Pours a dark golden color with decent looking carbonation and lots of tiny yeast floaties. The head is a one finger barely offwhite color with decent retention and spotty lacing.

S: Clean, crisp citrus - grapefruit, lemon, and the like - backed by a subtle sour funk. I really like how this smells, even if its a little simple smelling.

T: Not nearly as good as the smell, sadly. Hints of lemon, phenols, and funk backed by slight maltiness, before the finish trails off disappointingly. Somewhat lacking in flavor. To be fair, it's hard to judge the complexity of a small sample size, but I can't say I'm a huge fan of this.

M: Like I said, the finish is completely lacking in staying power, but it's far from undrinkable. Lighter texture and surprisingly lowish carbonation.

O: Not terrible, but I would rather spend a lot more on a bottle of La Folie - and I'm a cheap bastard, which should tell you something.

3.28/5  rDev -10.6%

Nice looking bottle with the brewery's name embossed on a ring around the neck. The beer itself is a cloudy orange creamsicle with a fluffy very white head.

Kind of a subdued citrusy wheaty nose, yet not really like a wheat beer, hefeweizen, or whitbier. A bit of a funky stink going on. Interesting.

Taste is kind of the same as the smell. Seems familiar, yet it is still different. On the hearty side, I would say. I'm having a tough time describing this one.

The mouthfeel is on the fuller side.

Dont really know what to say about this one. Its not like any other beer I've had, but that's not necessarily a good thing. I'm not particularly impressed or disappointed. I dont like or dislike it.

3.28/5  rDev -10.6%

I had this over memorial day weekend, reviewed from notes I made then. Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear amber color with a light golden hue. There is a finger of white head that fades to a ring around the glass.

Smell: Sweet malt with yeast spice and citrus notes. I'm also picking up a mild banana note.

Taste: Sweet malt and lots of spice from the yeast. Notes of fruit including citrus and banana. A bit acidic in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with medium to high carbonation and a mildly dry finish.

Overall: I thought this was a very different and interesting beer. I liked it enough, but I don't know that all the flavors worked together for me.

3.28/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours a fairly clear golden orange color with a cream colored head that falls slow with good lace.

Aroma is pale malt with good dose of fruits pear,green apples mingled with light spice. Some light earthy yeast mingled in with the spice.

Taste is light malt good fruit notes lightly tart the brett notes that are suppose to be here are very light. Kind of expecting little more malty notes and more funk.

Mouthfeel is light side of medium with good average carbonation. Feel is pretty much to style and enjoyable.

Overall maybe if I hadn't checked the New Belgium web site would of thought more of this one, sadly saw Brett and was expecting sour goodness. Overall Brett just to light not funky or tart enough. So overall not great Biere de Garde or a great Brett brew.

3.28/5  rDev -10.6%

Bought during a road trip to Texas. I had stopped at the store on the way south and saw a few bottles of La Folie...but on the way back, they were all gone. I was pretty disappointed, but the beer guy there suggested that I give the Biere De Mars a here goes.

Split with my wife and her sister after the Eve 6 concert here at Rose. Poured into my Westvleteren chalice. A light cloudy amber with a thin white head; it's a nice looking beer.

The nose is not overly impressive...pretty mild. Bretty funkiness is mild but definitely prevalent. A bit of non-sweet orange peel smell and just a trace of the lemon that I'm looking for.

Ooh. Not what I was hoping for. Very muted , semi-bitter flavor. Perhaps a bit of fruit, but not very sweet at all. No tart, no sour, no big finish. Just kind of fades away to short-lasting mild bitterness. Medium bodied and decently carbonated, the beer has good mouthfeel...just lacking in some of the other departments. Ok, it's warmed up a bit and I do get a bit of the citrusy sweetness at the end, but I still have to chalk it up as pretty bland. The funkiness is not quite as prevalent on the nose (which was mild in itself) but still there.

Overall, I'm underwhelmed. Fairly easy to drink...just nothing to write home about.

Consumed: 5/8/2010

3.28/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours a cloudy orange with a thin white head. Good lace on the glass.

Where is the aroma? I could only detect a faint malt character in the nose. I wanted spice and citrus and all I got was light light malt.

There is a bit more flavor in the taste--mild citrus and malt mingle in the taste but leave me wanting more complexity.

This is a thin beer that actually has a nice bite of carbonation--unfortunately, that is its only redeeming quality.

I was disappointed with this rather bland offering from New Belgium. I would grab their Abbey Ale or Trippel before this one.

3.29/5  rDev -10.4%

This pours a cloudy orange with little head that doesn't last at all. Plenty of sediment floating around. This is my first experience with this style but I'm sure this is normal. Not bad.

The smell is kind of a bready orange, for lack of a better term. I see that they use lemon but I catch its citrus cousin instead. I don't mind a bit of orange in my beer.

This smell is not as evident in the taste, it is mostly light bread but not objectionable.

It feels good on the mouth, you don't feel the sediment as all. Pretty smooth really.

As for drinkability, I don't want too many of these, but one or two isn't bad.

Overall this isn't a bad beer and worth a try, but is not memorable enough for me to seek either.

3.3/5  rDev -10.1%

A - light orange golden, white one finger head with minimal retention but stays around long enough to get a good nose

S - higher point of experiencing the beer, slight spice, grass, lemon peel, and farmhouse funk

T - Unique in taste, but not comforting in any type of malt or hop base. The yeast tastes different, as it should. Yields a lightness, brightness and slight sourness on the palate.

M - the flavor complexity does not need much to carry it, tight bubbles accentuate the sourness of the wild yeast.

D - only for novelty sake, and I mean that in the good sense of the term. You can taste the craft, but do not taste things normally associated with craft beer.

I paired this beer with 2 courses of fondue, cheese and meat.
It played off of the cheddar and swiss nicely, along with the vegetables and apples, and was still relevant for jerk chicken and teriyaki pork...we did add some of the beer to the cheese and it did quite well. This was a 'now I have tried it' beer... despite some's just lacking in enough of the deep, rich or dry flavors most of us are probably seeking. Worth trying atleast once for someone wanting something kinda 'out there' yet light to the taste.

3.32/5  rDev -9.5%

Appearance – Bright florescent orange in the body with lots of sediment. The head was flat and quickly dissipated.

Smell – Once it warmed I was able to pick up some good spicing to this citrus-laden brew. There’s a malt base in there somewhere, but the citrus hops carry the day.

Taste – Very, very sweet orange flavors to this one. This is less like fresh oranges and more like orange concentrate. It is also spiced, like a peppered vodka screwdriver with a shot of Grand Marnier. I was also able to find the promised yeast from the labeling but in very small quantity.

Mouthfeel – Lightly carbonated and medium-bodied.

Drinkability – Definitely a beer only to have every once in a while when the mood hits. It wasn’t bad, but I don’t think that I could drink two of these in a row if my life depended on it.

3.32/5  rDev -9.5%

A- A slight hazy golden hay color. Almost no head, no lacing.

S- Touches of lime and spice. Sweet caramel malts.

T- There is little to no funk to be found. It starts off with a lemon rhine. Then moves to a sweet malt and lime flavor.

M- Light bodied, little carbonation good dry finish,

O- Not too impressive. Its tasty but the beer is all over the place. There isn't anything too wild about this beer.

Lips Of Faith - Biere De Mars from New Belgium Brewing