Lips Of Faith - Biere De Mars - New Belgium Brewing

Colorado, United States

Bière de Garde |  6.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: mattmaples on 07-20-2009

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 746 | Reviews: 407
2.86/5  rDev -21.6%

Murky medium amber with an impressive head of wheaten froth.

Aroma is strange and subdued. Bready and biscuit malts with some mushy wet-cardboard and earthy hops. Hints of dry citrus and musty wet concrete.

Flavor is strangely malty, concentrating on undercooked bread, saltines, and decomposing paper. It has faint hints od oily fruit and just a touch of musty and peppery yeast.

Body is on the light side, well-carbonated and has a harsh, almost abrasive mouthfeel. I've had better from NB.

3.23/5  rDev -11.5%

I was really ready to get down on this beer, but I think I over hyped it in my own mind. The color was a straw tinted orange with a bit of haze and a chunky white head in my Duvel glass. Smells citrus with a little pinnaple or date over a sweet malt driven yeasty fullness. Taste is twisted and not really one I like a bit to citrus and the yeast messes weird with everything else. I will have to try this again but right now, not so much.

3.97/5  rDev +8.8%

A - Pours a cloudy yellow/orange color, some carbonation, tiny head, basically no lacing.

S - Scents of malts, yeast, floral, and slight citrus.

T - The taste is tangy/malty and bready.

M - Light body. There's a carbonated feel in the mouth.

D - Drinkable. This is my first Biere De Garde, very tasty brew from NB. A nice thirst quencher.

3.78/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours a fairly dark orange colour that cannot be seen through. The head is ivory in colour with a creaminess. It stood about two fingers thick, and is slowly receding while leaving a sheet of lacing on the glass.

The smell has some orange and lemon, a bit of flowery aroma and sort of musty earthy notes. I detect something sharper in there, but can't say exactly what it may be. Reminds me of Orval in a way, perhaps it is the yeast? Overall impression is not bad.

The taste is fruity, tangy, reminiscent of a candy I've had(Jolly Ranchers?). A bit tart in the finish. Definitely some lemon, but sweetened. Hops are faint, and the finish has more sugary sweetness than bitterness. I could see this growing on me, but I'm not sold entirely yet.

The mouthfeel is a little bit sticky. Carbonation is medium and feels suited to the drink. The tongue is left a little peppery, if that makes sense. Works well together.

An interesting beer, and a new style for me. It borders on being a fruit beer, as it seems dominated by sweet fruit flavours. Tasty in the end, I wouldn't mind trying out a few other takes on this style.

Thanks to orrshow for sharing the wealth after his father's Vegas trip.

3.56/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Massive, explosive head – almost too much, as it interferes with the quaffing. Ice cream dollop of floating head. Gold/orange pour, until you add the bottom fermentation – then it turns ruddy brown. BBD of 9/15/06, 6.2% abv and “serve at 50 degrees” Nice.

Musty cellar aroma, Belgium yeast and sugar cane. Migrates into an earthy, citrusy with hints of lemon. Just some subtle hints of sweetness.

Dry, medium bodied – but again, HIGHLY carbonated.

This one’s a real summer sipper, it grows on you, but I don’t believe I’ll be much of a fan of this one.

3.52/5  rDev -3.6%

BBD of Oct 06

Pours deep honey to amber color with pretty good clarity & a fluffy white head. Great lacing & head retention

Smell: Slight leather and fruit notes

Taste: Citric & apricot notes, slight tea-like bitterness with dryness. Finishes fruitty (dates & apricots) & dry,

MF: Slightly sruppy, but nicely carbonated

Pretty drinkable, just not sure I'd enjoy more than 2, due to the style. Pretty spot on representation IMHO

3.05/5  rDev -16.4%

Poured into a goblet-style glass. A hazy golden-orange and a very thin head. The sweet aroma of oranges, pineapple, and some spices. This is different to say the least. There are definite characteristics of a Belgian, but there is something else that I can't place. Mouthfeel is thin to medium which can help with its drinkibility, but I couldn't have more than one in a sitting. This is not really my style.

2.66/5  rDev -27.1%

The beer pours a hazy dark yellow like a homebrew; however, that is acceptable for the style. What makes the looks of this beer astounding is the head. Holy moley, the head is rock-solid. Rocky rocky whiteness. And the lacing is quite impressive.

I'm not sure what I expected from the nose on this beer . . . but it is suprisingly muted -- especially considering . . .

The taste! Wow. I really enjoyed this beer during my first 'non-review' casual drink. Perhaps, since this is a semi-wild brew there is a fair amount of bottle-to-bottle variation, but I'm not sure how I feel about this guy at all. It tastes heavily of tootie-frootie gum. Tootie-footie that was rubbed in sweaty horse. Like I said, I really liked this beer last time, and that was (presumably) from the same batch and just a few days earlier.

The mouthfeel is bubbly and dry. Bone dry. Most likely from the bugs in the brew. However, the character really works for this beer.

It's confusing. How could it be so good last time and so unsatisfying this time? Very confusing indeed. Though I would check it out. I definately now know what brett contamination tastes like.

Thanks for letting me try this ColoradoBob. It's definately unique. It's like a rollercoaster that you puke after: you don't regret taking the ride, but you're not so sure you'd do it again.

I had this before and never thought much of it but this year I was told there was some brett funkiness added so I tried it and I’m glad I did. It poured cloudy and orange and smelled like a wild hoppy ale. The taste is pleasant and easy and would make a great intro to the style since the tartness is mild despite the funk. It would be a great food beer.

2.49/5  rDev -31.8%

Draught @ New Belgium. Cloudy orange haze. Lemony nose with other hints of apple, passion fruits and peach. Light, grainy, toasty, herbal, almost minty flavor with a slight hint of a brettanomyces contribution. I’ve never been fond of this one. Southampton's Biere De Mars is like three-hundred times better.

3.33/5  rDev -8.8%

12oz bottle from mentor as part of BIF 33. <Team Spring Rules!> Thanks for the opportunity. Label says best before 7Jul06. Enjoyed at cellarish temp, since my fridge crapped out last night.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 3/4" off-white head above the cloudy amber brew. Head lasts well, fading slowly, with lots of sticky lacing. Aroma is malty sweet and abundantly spiced. Taste is lightly sweet, with a citric tang, and spices on top. A bit busy for me. Mouthfeel and drinkability are not bad, was just hoping for a little bit more. An acceptable Biere de Garde that I would revisit if the occasion presented itself.

Poured into pint glass.
An unfiltered look, but darker than a typical wheat beer. Amber/caramel color, hazy, light head that endured.
Mostly citrus smell, some lemon grass overpowered by malt.
Taste was a bit of the opposite. More lemon than malt, yet the malt makes it 'thicker' than it looks. Drinks well

3.95/5  rDev +8.2%

Appears a hazy light gold with a small white head and scattered lacing left around the glass.
Smell is of spicey apple skins, yeast, citrus, and fruits.
Taste is of the same aromas in a decent mix, making for an enjoyable brew.
Mouthfeel is yeasty, lightly carbonated.

3.73/5  rDev +2.2%

Deep orange color, 1/2 inch head with decent retention. Very cloudy. The smell is fairly tart, with spicy orange, lemon, and acetaldehyde notes. The taste is mildly tart, with some sweetness. Again, lemon, orange, sour apple flavors are present, with a hint of spice and belgian yeast. The sour apple flavor tends to dominate. Not overly puckering, and it has enough sweetness to balance things out. The mouthfeel is nice, with a medium body, nice coating ability, and excellent carbonation. Drinkablity rates well as it is a nice mild weather brew. A bit wheaty, but not too light on flavor, definitely worth a try...

4.1/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured from a brown bottle with a drawing of Mars ofer a snowy landscape.

A: Poured hazy, which keeps with the style. Almost apricot in color. Poured with a decent white head and leaves some lacing.

S: Very plum like. Something like overripe white grapes. Has an earthy presence like wet roots.

T: Sweet lemons, but not sugary sweet. Like what lemons would taste like if they had no sour. Definite spice presence. Cinnamon. Maybe a touch of clove. Ends with some nutmeg and sweet gourds. There's a hint of bitterness in the aftertaste.

M: Something of a powdery feel similar to what powdered sugar leaves your mouth with. Filling.

Overall: Really enjoyed this one. Flavors really drew me in and I liked the process of drinking the beer even though I couldn't imagine having many of these in a row. Very unique.

3.61/5  rDev -1.1%

Pours shades of hazy mix of tangerine and grapefruit juice. Very thin head that completely disappears minutes from pouring. Very nice lacing, though. Smells of lemon grass, slightly spicy yeast, wheat twang, and, if left to warm up too much, alcohol. Tastes of mild satsumas, lemon, and some hints of apple and biscuity malts. The finish is of hop bitterness and a pleasant tartness. I like the flavors present here, but I wish they would stand out more. Mouthfeel is moderate fullness with moderate carbonation.

I really don't know how this compares to other biere de gardes, as this is my first, but I was really hoping for more character from a farmhouse ale a la saison. Still tastes good to me though.

4.12/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours a cloudy light amber with minimal head and ok tracing. Aromas are quite yeasty, bready and wet hay. There is a citrus and spicy background as well. Carbonation is medium and well fitting. Mouthfeel is light, and flavors mirror those aromas well. This is an excellent winter seasonal, and I've enjoyed the 6er, as this is the last bottle. Alcohol hits you a little in the end, as well as the mild hops. Wish they would carry this year round, but the Trippel and Abbey will suffice.

2.85/5  rDev -21.9%

A: Pours a light cloudy orangeish color, slight white head and very minimal lacing. Lots of whitish sediment floating in the glass.
S: Smells of yeast, sourdough bread, slight citrus smell.
T: Slight maltiness with peppery finish, kind of musty and bland as far as the taste goes.
M: Beer had a creamy mouthfeel went down very easily.
D: To my knowlege this is the first beer of this style that I have ever tried. This beer was a little bland for my liking, had a nice aroma to it but overall I don't think I would try again.

2.61/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This beer's lively carbonation rises up into a medium head over the hazy orange-gold body. But oh no how things go downhill from here...

The nose is musty and flatulent. This mustiness reminds me of the boxes of camping gear my parents used to keep in the basement. In fact, maybe they still do keep those boxes down there... I really can't get over this element, which carries over into the flavor.

Sorry, this beer is of little use to me.

3.53/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle labeled best before 15Sep06. Poured initially clear apricot, then became hazy up as the yeast joined the fray. Off-white head was generous initially, then faded some, leaving nice lace.

Nose? a touch of cloves, some verbena, some yeast and musty malt. Tasted a bit sweet and fruity up front, with a tartness that jumped in quickly and persisted through the rather dry finish. Drinkable, but not a session beer for me.

4.03/5  rDev +10.4%

appearance: super cloudy orange color. nice head on my white wine glass. quite nice looking.

smell: nice zesty, lemony zing. then the old pilsner malt. not exactly a huge smeller here.

taste: damn my palette is a bit shot from the double ipa and indian curry i just drank. but i had a few bottles yesterday. obvisouly tons of yeast in the beer, but i'm not getting alot sourness, more like tartness. The best way to describe this would be lemony. ok, just a faint, faint hint of the brett is noticeable. i suppose a bottle should be aged. New Belgian does a good job at creating unique beers and this one continues the trend. This is no more a Biere De Garde than it is a Saison, it's really niether.

mouthfeel: very light and clean, although not as dry as the average saison.

drinkability: obviously a refreshing and easy to drink beer, however the slighty thicker mouthfeel and higher alcohol make this prefect for this month of march rather than summer. I'm gonna have to drank a few bottles in the outdoors.

I can get a six pack of this cheaper than one bottle of French Biere De Garde. Damn good buy and a nice beer.

3.28/5  rDev -10.1%

Nice looking bottle with the brewery's name embossed on a ring around the neck. The beer itself is a cloudy orange creamsicle with a fluffy very white head.

Kind of a subdued citrusy wheaty nose, yet not really like a wheat beer, hefeweizen, or whitbier. A bit of a funky stink going on. Interesting.

Taste is kind of the same as the smell. Seems familiar, yet it is still different. On the hearty side, I would say. I'm having a tough time describing this one.

The mouthfeel is on the fuller side.

Dont really know what to say about this one. Its not like any other beer I've had, but that's not necessarily a good thing. I'm not particularly impressed or disappointed. I dont like or dislike it.

3.52/5  rDev -3.6%

As its been over two years since I’ve sampled one of these, I thought I’d give it a shot. In the glass the beer appears a somewhat hazy orange with a modest semi-creamy light tan head, which after its decomposition leaves a fine coating of lace upon the glass. Nose has a pleasant malt sweetness, hints of ripe fruit, with a bit of bread dough; start is sweet with a pleasant grain profile and the top moderate in feel. Finish has a cutting acidity, the hops light but pleasant to the palate, a decent drinking beer, but I rank it second to last on new Belgium’s beer list, the last being Loft, just can’t say they appeal to me, nonetheless they are drinkable and will appeal to many.

3.93/5  rDev +7.7%

Best by Sep 06.

Pours a hazy but bright orange color with a thick creamy two finger head that settles very slowly to rocky cap and leaves a nice webbing of lace behind.

Smell; nice citric orange peel, a little bit lemony with a good spiciness. There's a definite musty brett presence in the aroma.

Taste; the mustiness that I picked in the nose comes out more in the flavor. The coriander and lemons, as well as a slightly sourness. There's a nice malt presence and mildly peppery spiciness in the finish. Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied, and very creamy, and goes down nicely. One of the easiest to drink beers that I've had in a while.

I tried this beer last year and thought it was decent, but this year it seems to be so much better.

4.63/5  rDev +26.8%

2006 bottling. Clever and interesting seasonal offering for the "half-winter-half-spring month of March." But I enjoyed this one while sunning myself in my mother-in-law's back yard on a gorgeous 80-degree Tucson afternoon... Anyway. Poured into a cervoise/wine goblet, New Belgium's Biere de Mars is an extremely cloudy golden amber topped with a creamy white fluff. Funky yeast aroma; scents of mown grass and soured apple juice abide. Thicker mouthfeel than I ever could have expected; most of New Belgium's beers that I've tried are at least on some level characteristically crisp and refreshing. The lack of crispness here is not a problem. It's velvety smooth, luxurious, even. The first sip reveals tart barnyard funk flavors which cede to a biscuity malt structure. It then finishes lemony smooth, like a pudding almost. there is also a difficult-to-identify flavor that rides all around the middle of each sip. I imagine it must be some kind of phenol -- tastes kind of like plastic, or soft rubber. This flavor emerges in the burps, as well. Complexity of flavor alone merits a high score here. I can safely say I've never had any beer like this before. It's definitely Belgian, and definitely "country." It is not at all reminiscent of other bieres de garde I've sampled. This one is entirely in a class of its own and outstanding at that.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Lips Of Faith - Biere De Mars from New Belgium Brewing