Lips Of Faith - Biere De Mars - New Belgium Brewing

Colorado, United States

Bière de Garde |  6.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: mattmaples on 07-20-2009

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - Biere De Mars Alström Bros
2.27/5  rDev -37.8%

A: Nice orange color, slightly cloudy with a touch of white head on top and just enough retention for the style.

S: Slightly grainy smelling, with maybe a hint of funk. Also, heavily spiced with coriander and some floral notes

T: It tastes a bit like cardboard mixed with hints of honey and spices. No sourness, just mustiness that is underwhelming. Also some weird yeast notes. It is listed as a wild, which i guess i can see but there are really no brett notes present at all in this one.

M: A little rough around the edges and light

D: This was a drainpour for me, i drank my glass but could not finish the bottle

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

3.91/5  rDev +7.1%

New Belgium has really nice lables, and great bottles. They're simple and classy.

The beer itself is quite attractive as well. Gold around the edges, and orange in the middle. It has a nice multi-textured head, very much like you'd expect from a trappist. The aroma is somewhat odd, almost like a empty grain silo.

The taste very pleasing. There are several layers of maltiness with a subtle yeast fruitiness at the end of the sip. There's little hop noticable, but enough to start the saliva glands. Its a very complete beer, with a wide variety of flavors. Very nice

3.7/5  rDev +1.4%

On tap at the Toronado. Poured into a pint glass. Abv info not given.

A-Pours a cloudy golden amber with a one finger white head that sticks around.

S-All I get is sour and funky notes. No malt or hops are apparent.

T-Not nearly as sour as it smells. There is a lot of sweet malt at the beginning. Some sour and funky notes come through in the middle. The beer finishes with a sweet fruit taste.

M-Medium bodied, crisp, and smoothly carbonated.

D-The interplay between sweet and sour works just fine, but the sweetness would limit this to a pint.

Not a bad offering from NB. A 10 ounce glass of this would be the perfect serving size.

4.02/5  rDev +10.1%

The journey has been long and fruitless. We have just arrived upon our last island to search, the palm trees swaying in the cool morning breeze as we clamour off of the deck into the warm water, and strike out for shore. This must be it, it must. An ecstasy of hacking and pressing forward into the interior, we know the place, a dodge of a large spider, the thick flies, rustling of an anaconda in the nearby brush, I hope we don't have to play dead...
Then the cave, a soft dripping, the lantern light casting flickering shadows as we shout to one another and feel the echoes on our skulls. Deep into the darkness, a left turn, faint light from a crack a couple fathoms vertically, then scrabbling through a gap no wider than my shoulders, and we've reached it. The dead air of lemon-coriander-allspice-white-pepper-horse-blanket-must, the far-off aromas of hay and cinnamon.
And the gold. The chest is open, the light dances before our eyes, a purely golden color, a bit of white fluff that disappears, the dust we have unsettled creating a slight haze.
A taste of orange peel and smoked gouda, coriander and pumpkin spice. Light and fluffy, carbonation of soda water, a fluffy and creamy finish.
We load as much as we can carry, drag in bags behind us through the corridors, escape back to the ocean salt air, the wind and the sun. Our ship seems to have shifted, a longer swim and weighed down... we must tell our families, we will be back here.

3.33/5  rDev -8.8%

Appearance is decent, although there is nearly no head or lacing. Smell is very weak, some spiciness and tough to pick up too much else. There is a bit more going on in the taste, some sweetness comes through. Mouthfeel is weak. Drinkability is pretty good.

4.28/5  rDev +17.3%

Funkytown! I smell Brett in this beer, that fresh kind of horse blanket barnyard aroma that I love so much. No hops on the nose at all, just a mix of funk and sweet maltose.

The aesthetics of this beer are gorgeous! It's a solid orange in color, perfectly clear with a crisp white head that leaves medium to thick lacing. Just beautiful.

Light citrus notes with a bit of funk thrown in for good measure. I really don't get much hops other than the light citrus. The malt comes through as toasted bread, it's not sweet at all like the aroma kind of suggests. A nice surprise!

The beer is light in body and carbonation, and finishes dry.. incredibly drinkable for what it is. Overall I love this beer, excellent effort by New Belgium to do something that isn't quite mainstream.

3.65/5  rDev 0%

Poured from 22oz bottle into New Belgium Globe glass.

A. 1 finger pretty well carbonated head. Good retention. Decent lacing. Color is a orangeish golden yellow.

S. Smell is yeast, lemony citrus, sweet pale malt, a little bit of funk to it. Nice blast of yeastiness, gives way to a light fruit smell. A little bit of sourness lies underneath.

T. Taste is a pretty smooth combination of a lot of the aromas. Nice earthy yeast flavor. Some of the light fruit; pears and apple primarily. Maybe just a touch of sourness. Overall the flavor is a little bit mellower than the aroma.

M. Medium bodied. Finishes pretty crisp and dry. Medium carbonation.

D. Drinkable. Overall a pretty good beer. Could be a little more flavor going on that the aroma eludes to, but doesn't deliver on the tongue. Pretty good.

3.23/5  rDev -11.5%

I was really ready to get down on this beer, but I think I over hyped it in my own mind. The color was a straw tinted orange with a bit of haze and a chunky white head in my Duvel glass. Smells citrus with a little pinnaple or date over a sweet malt driven yeasty fullness. Taste is twisted and not really one I like a bit to citrus and the yeast messes weird with everything else. I will have to try this again but right now, not so much.

3.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured into a plastic hotel cup. Dark piss color – slightly hazy (I do not mean this to be a bad thing, but that is what it reminded me of). Strong carbonation. Sweet up front, aftertaste is like vodka. Do not serve too cold. I remember it being more complex and enjoyable the last time I drank it. I also do not remember it having a vodka aftertaste. Perhaps I should blame the cup. Regardless, it is an interesting brew.

I’ll have another.

4.05/5  rDev +11%

On tap at the brewery -- talk about fresh and properly-served!

Brewed with Pale, Aromatic, C-40 and Carapils malts, all fairly lightly-toasted. Willamette, Cascade and Magnum hops are very much kept in abeyance here, with only 18 IBU. The malts dominate the smell and the taste.

Unpasteurized (as all of this brewery's ales are!), unfiltered, bottle-conditioned spring ale on its first run of the season ("Beer of March" served fresh in late December? -- go figure!).

Semi-cloudy, orange-colored pretty looking beer.

Notes of orange and lemon in the nose, with wheat and maybe even oats. Taste matches, but lays a bit lower than the smell.

Very drinkable and very pleasant. You who live in Colorado need to try this one at the brewery. You who don't live in Colorado -- well, tough luck! Come and get it!!

UPDATE FOR THE 2006 RUN, January 24, 2006

Much more long-lasting head -- huge, rocky, solid and chunky with incredible carbonation. It's a bit creamier brew, so I would up the mouthfeel to 4.0 from last winter's run. prAna was right -- this time around, they've done better on this one! The addition of more brettanomyces yeast makes for a horsier flavor, which I enjoy, but some people loathe. Makes it a more distinctive beer, and more of a love-hate brew as well.

For you hop-heads, it seems hoppier this time as well. Go get some.

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

2.66/5  rDev -27.1%

The beer pours a hazy dark yellow like a homebrew; however, that is acceptable for the style. What makes the looks of this beer astounding is the head. Holy moley, the head is rock-solid. Rocky rocky whiteness. And the lacing is quite impressive.

I'm not sure what I expected from the nose on this beer . . . but it is suprisingly muted -- especially considering . . .

The taste! Wow. I really enjoyed this beer during my first 'non-review' casual drink. Perhaps, since this is a semi-wild brew there is a fair amount of bottle-to-bottle variation, but I'm not sure how I feel about this guy at all. It tastes heavily of tootie-frootie gum. Tootie-footie that was rubbed in sweaty horse. Like I said, I really liked this beer last time, and that was (presumably) from the same batch and just a few days earlier.

The mouthfeel is bubbly and dry. Bone dry. Most likely from the bugs in the brew. However, the character really works for this beer.

It's confusing. How could it be so good last time and so unsatisfying this time? Very confusing indeed. Though I would check it out. I definately now know what brett contamination tastes like.

Thanks for letting me try this ColoradoBob. It's definately unique. It's like a rollercoaster that you puke after: you don't regret taking the ride, but you're not so sure you'd do it again.

2.96/5  rDev -18.9%

Pours a clear gold to light amber with plenty of carbonation that settles to quarter-inch or so of foam with Brussels lace. Smells a touch sour. Light caramel malt flavor with bitter finish and a touch lactic. Much more bitter than I expected and not bitter in a good way.

3.6/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Cold 22oz served in pint glass. Beer pours a very pale, though slightly hazy, orange. Medium white head. Aroma is mild, but of oranges and yeast.

Flavors are of citrus/orange peel. Wheat. Slightly acidic funky edge to it. But light on the palate and and quite drinkable. There's no sourness or otherwise overpowering Brett. character, but that's more than alright with me.

Totally enjoyable.

4.27/5  rDev +17%

A- pours a bubbly orange copper color accompanied by a 1/2" head and some lacing. Little retent on the head. Fizzy like soda.

S- very sweet scents in the nostrils, strong apple aroma was the easiest to distinguish.

T- flavor is the brew is quite interesting as it changes tremendously as it warms. Always sweet & grainy. Slight alcoholic flavor in the background. Apple sweet flavor. Lemonish aftertaste. Wheat and oats become much more apparent as the brew warms.

M- thinner brew with a smooth yet creamy texture. Some tickle from carbonation. As it warms, it tends to leave your mouth dry.

D- Tons of differentg flavors in there. This is a brew that needs full attention to be appericated. Not a session brew. Wonderful desert brew. This is a real treat.

2.75/5  rDev -24.7%

3.36/5  rDev -7.9%

Hazy orangey peach color with a lot of yeasties that I conciously tried to keep out and a nice big creamy white head that fades to a thick film with some nice lacing. Very bready malt aromas without much of the expected spicy, zesty citrus aromas that I love in the style. Quick hit of spicy pepperyness with a bit of lemon before the overiding bready malt takes over and brings the beer to its somewhat cloyingly malty finish. Very disappointing for the style and brewery. Refreshingly crisp and medium light in the start the brew seems to grow fuller and more cloying the longer it sits on my tongue. Overall a decent brew but slightly disappointing having sampled several other brews from New Belgium.

3.48/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a cloudy golden amber-orange with a medium head. Aroma is a blend of orange citrus and musty elements.

Taste is mildly toasted malt with a good musty, yeasty presence. Some hops, some faint citrus bitterness, maybe even a barnyard or two. Very dry overall, a little off-putting, whereas the draft has a pleasant orangey sweetness.

Mouthfeel is medium and full with a wheaty texture. The draft version puts the bottle to shame -- it's almost a different beer altogether. I would rate the draft a full point higher than the bottle…if I wasn't so busy drinking all of it.

This ale poured a cloudy deep orange color with lots of scary looking floaties resembling of the milky way. Head was loose and settled quickly. Aroma is complex, grainy malts, lemon citrus, funky yeast and bread dough and spices all rolled into one. Has a light and crisp mouthfeel that is lively and playful. Flavor is citrusy and slightly tart. Yeast also contributes to a complex flavor. Overall a very interesting and pleasurable ale.

Lips Of Faith - Biere De Mars from New Belgium Brewing