Lips Of Faith - Biere De Mars - New Belgium Brewing

Colorado, United States

Bière de Garde |  6.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: mattmaples on 07-20-2009

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - Biere De Mars Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

3.25/5  rDev -11%

3.71/5  rDev +1.6%

I am a fan of this style. It has a strong amber color and it left nice lacing on the glass. I have a poor sense of smell but I could smell the citrus in this and that taste comes across very subtly. I had several of these and shared and everyone at the table ended up ordering 1 for themselves.

3.25/5  rDev -11%

2.5/5  rDev -31.5%

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

Pours a slightly hazy orangey/gold color with a nice dense two-finger head. Aromas of a tangerine-like blend of tart and sweet, similar to saison aromas. Definitely has the familiar aroma of wheat in there, no hops to speak of.

Taste: Orange peel and cloves, tart with a "grainy" flavor that announces the wheat and oats (this is not a bad thing). Earthy, slightly musty taste reminiscient of gueuze, but not quite as pronounced. Nice dry, slightly sweet finish that leaves a refreshing tangy flavor on my tongue. Very thirst quenching.

Medium carbonation, mouthfeel is medium-heavy, courtesy of the alternate grains.

A solid beer from NB. I hope they plan to release this one again.

3.44/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

-Malts: Oats, Wheat, Malted Barley,
-Other Lemon Verbena, Wild Yeast

Somewhere between a Bier de Garde and a small beer, New Belgium’s Biere de Mars is an interesting concoction even if only in theory: oats, wheat and barley in the grist, with Lemon Verbena and wild yeasts? Hmmm…

Well, the beer looks wonderful. The cloudy, bottle conditioned body is mostly orange, but with a nod toward yellow. An amazing head of nitro-like foam refuses to give an inch, actually growing and becoming more uneven during my review. The nose is more faint than I anticipated, smelling vaguely lemony and slightly spicy-sweet, like ginger but not. The flavor is unusual, but in a very subtle way. First, I taste beer and a touch of spice: nothing crazy or unexpected. The spice flavor might be the lemon verbena, or possibly the yeast strain, which is distinctly Belgian, reminding me a little of a Tripel. In either case, or if there’s a third cause of that flavor, it’s not bad. Actually, this beer kinda tastes like Tripel meets average, spiced homebrew. The lemon flavor is more distinct at the front of the beer, fading somewhat in the tail. At that point, a solid, but not very noticeable bitterness offsets lots of the more interesting, subtle flavors.

This is a fine beer, but it’s not as intriguing as its ingredient list and fermentation process suggest. I guess it failed to live up to my expectation of a highly unique New Belgium offering. In fact, it tasted very much like a less perfumed version of their eau de toilet flavored Saison. The lemon flavor and the relatively high carbonation suggest that this is probably a very refreshing summer beer. Too bad it’s only going to be brewed for the early Spring…

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

3.97/5  rDev +8.8%

A nice hazy light amber color with very little head. The aroma is fruity and yeasty. It has a slight spiciness to it and has lots pf different flavors that includes various fruits and spices along with a very yeasty finish. It has little to no bitterness and is very well balanced. Overall a nice lite brew.

3.41/5  rDev -6.6%

The clerk at the liquor store told me this brew was similiar to Fat Tire, I'm going to have to disagree. This brew poured a murky orange color with a deep gold around the edges. The head was small but it kept through the whole brew. The nose is of honey, wheat, and citrus. This beer does taste surprisingly like a wheat beer only sweeter, with a strong citrus flavor. The finish is fairly dry but not bad dry. I will purchase this brew again especially this summer as it is very refreshing.

3.62/5  rDev -0.8%

I drank this beer before and got confused, but this was before I knew about a Belgian wheat style. Oh, now I get it!
Perhaps I'm still missing something, however, because although I can easily say upon smelling this beer's (slightly muted) herbal/citrus nose and tasting its orange peel and coriander notes (though I missed the heather and verbeena promised), "farmhouse", I would have guessed this was Saison.
However, it was slightly weightier in appearance and mouthfeel than a springtime saison. My big qualm was that there appeared in my beer residual (take your guess here) tannen/yeast/chaff that didn't appear to be slurry from bottle conditioning. Bad bottle, or....
This is definately refreshing, and if you are like many for whom a wit or saison is out of range (physically or monitarily), this is a decent substitute when the need arises. As a "beer to keep", as a result of the floaties, I would think this beer is best drank as fresh as possible, so perhaps the appelation is a misnomer.

3.05/5  rDev -16.4%

Poured into a goblet-style glass. A hazy golden-orange and a very thin head. The sweet aroma of oranges, pineapple, and some spices. This is different to say the least. There are definite characteristics of a Belgian, but there is something else that I can't place. Mouthfeel is thin to medium which can help with its drinkibility, but I couldn't have more than one in a sitting. This is not really my style.

3.83/5  rDev +4.9%

Good pour made only about a full finger of light white head similar to melted whipped cream. Whispy good looking splotched top. Mediocre retention and disappeared rather quickly. Some sparse speckling of lacing. Hazy rusted golden-orange.

A rather light citrusy, mildly-funky nose. A spiciness is present but can't pick them out along with a lightly sweet maltiness.

Light citrus and only a slight tangy funk in the finish. Light lemon taste and not the usual flavors of a beer that I like, but this beer is pretty enjoyable. The taste is very light, crisp and refreshing with a very light lemon twist and nice fruitiness.

Slightly dry finish, light and refreshing. Light bodied with a clean finish. I happened to have a Orval yesterday, and besides this I think they are the only two Brett ales I've had. I think I'm a fan of the Brett now.

This is pretty odd, but I really enjoyed this beer despite it having a light lemon flavor, I'm usually not a fan of lemon flavored drinks but this is a exception, for sure. This was my first, and I can't wait to try the rest of the series now.

3.66/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Unfiltered orange/red ale with a small white head that leaves a very small amount of lacing. Good clarity for an unfiltered.

The aroma is predominantly citrus: orange and lemon (which is an ingredeant).

Orange with lots of spice, coriander, clovers and a touch of pepper in the finish.

Crisp and refreshing, a great beer for the summer.

3.28/5  rDev -10.1%

Bought during a road trip to Texas. I had stopped at the store on the way south and saw a few bottles of La Folie...but on the way back, they were all gone. I was pretty disappointed, but the beer guy there suggested that I give the Biere De Mars a shot...so here goes.

Split with my wife and her sister after the Eve 6 concert here at Rose. Poured into my Westvleteren chalice. A light cloudy amber with a thin white head; it's a nice looking beer.

The nose is not overly impressive...pretty mild. Bretty funkiness is mild but definitely prevalent. A bit of non-sweet orange peel smell and just a trace of the lemon that I'm looking for.

Ooh. Not what I was hoping for. Very muted , semi-bitter flavor. Perhaps a bit of fruit, but not very sweet at all. No tart, no sour, no big finish. Just kind of fades away to short-lasting mild bitterness. Medium bodied and decently carbonated, the beer has good mouthfeel...just lacking in some of the other departments. Ok, it's warmed up a bit and I do get a bit of the citrusy sweetness at the end, but I still have to chalk it up as pretty bland. The funkiness is not quite as prevalent on the nose (which was mild in itself) but still there.

Overall, I'm underwhelmed. Fairly easy to drink...just nothing to write home about.

Consumed: 5/8/2010