Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Lips Of Faith - Biere De Mars - New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - Biere De MarsLips Of Faith - Biere De Mars

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Bière de Garde |  6.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: mattmaples on 07-20-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - Biere De Mars Alström Bros
3.02/5  rDev -17.7%

Really just killing time with this stuff until I can get down to the liquor store to buy Anchor Steam's 2004 incarnation of their seasonal beer.

Beer pours a hazy apricot color, bright and bubbly with a better-than-average endurance for its white head.

Aroma of light hops and malt, some fruitiness as well. Some hints of Belgian candi sugar in there, too, reminiscent of a Chimay. Nice.

Taste falls a little flat. I'm not sure what I'm getting here - malt, hops, sugars, what? It all blends into an indecipherable mass. Not unpleasant, just unremarkable.

Thin mouthfeel and cloying aftertaste do little to improve matters. Not horrible, but nothing to write home about either.

3.97/5  rDev +8.2%

Sampled from 12oz bottle.

Appearance: Toffee, orangish color with a thin, bubbly cover. Tons of suspended particles. Very cloudy.

Smell: Banana bread, cloves, fruity esters, spices.

Taste: Malty, very yeasty, complex flavors.

Mouthfeel: Sticky and creamy

Drinkability: Great, very nice beer.

3.7/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

There's an harmonic balance of grain and fruit in this beer. The malt is viscous, but not hearty. The hops are lemony, very citric, but not bitter in the least. The yeast smells so authentic, packed with tart gueuze-influenced esters and sharpening with alcohol on the palate as this beer warms, that it reminds me of early afternoons in Calvados sipping the local spritz by the sea.

The lemon rind is fresh in this brew -- with no tannic taste of pith; I'm in disbelief that this is made only with water, hops, malt, and yeast. Hints of peach developing. Supporting caramel finish.

For an early saison -- brewed for the spring instead of the summer -- Biere de Mars does its job well, providing enough body to keep us warm and enough refreshing hop and yeast character to begin our transition to spring.

Relax, relax.

3.38/5  rDev -7.9%

Pours a light orange hue with a good head at first that turns to a small film on top. Lacing was minimal.
The smell was of strong citrus and floral notes and possibly a hint of honey toward the end.
The taste was sweet not overpowering but very subtle. Hints of orange or citrus at the end. Was a good beer.

3.41/5  rDev -7.1%

Apperance - Poured a nice cloudy orange color. I did notice multiple floaties of yeast swirling around in my glass. Poured with a rather small head that quickly vanished but leaving behind pretty nice lacing.

Smell - A nice hint of citrus hit my right of the bat along with what I thought was kind of like oats.

Taste - I could tast the spicey citrus flavor upon my first sip that quickly turned into malty sweet overtones. A small hint of the alcohol could be felt as well towards the end.

Mouthfeel - Felt very crisp and refreshing, very smooth and easy to drink.

Drikability - Very easy to drink, nothing to harsh about this beer at all, pretty well balanced.

Comments - Good quality seasonal brew from the New Belgium brewery. It's not quite what I would expect coming from them, but it is a good one and I for one am glad that they took a chance and made this one. One I would be happy to share with family and friends.

3.72/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours an orange hued beer with a touch of cloudiness (this is a bottle conditioned ale), with a slightly off white foam head that keeps a thin lace throughout its stay in the glass.

Delicate floral aroma (orange blossom), soft herbal spices and the faintest honey note in the back. Thin mouthfeel, actually a bit watery, and quick to leave the palate. Coriander, clove, lemon peel, wheat husks, crackers, slight peppery note. Splash of lime bitterness. Touch of peach, both in fruitiness and tartness. Thin honey sweetness. Dry, with a lot of yeast character in the finish. A bit too much as it lingers to the point of almost becoming unpleasant, the some lingering sweet floral notes help to mask this a bit.

This could be something to quaff back during the summer as it's both light and refreshing on the palate, but it does have a slightly sneaky alcohol. A nice farmhouse ale. I'd love to see more US brewers take a stab at this concept.

2.78/5  rDev -24.3%

Bottle purchased at The Rocket Market in Spokane. "Best before" date of June 3, 2004.

Poured a cloudy orange color, with a thin white head. Head dropped fairly quickly. Not much lace.

Smell was pretty basic, and was, frankly, less than I expected. There is nothing more than a maltiness that is somewhere between mild and weak. According to the label, this beer is "a celestial collaboration of oats, wheat, barley malt and lemon verbena" -I had to look this word up - still not sure what the hell it would taste like. If it's supposed to taste relentlessly bland, then it was adequately represented. Weak malts are all I detected here.

Taste is slightly better than the smell. In addition to the weak maltiness, there was a slight citrus tang - no doubt the lemon yadda yadda yadda. Still not very impressive.

Mouthfeel was relatively thin, not too impressive.

Drinkability? It doesn't actively taste bad, but it's not much better than that . It's primarily irritating, as I feel it seems like a beer that is vainly trying to be something, but I don't know what. I feel no need to perplex my taste buds further, so I shall not seek this out again.

4.02/5  rDev +9.5%

Hazy orange with smallish head that disappears but leaves a little bit of lace. A healthy, fruity aroma draws in the drinker. Elements of peach, orange, shortbread and a light peppery spiciness. Mouthfeel a little thin, but supple and pleasant. While this isn't as unique or complex as the best saisons or biere de gardes, it's an appealing, tasty beer that is enjoyable and highly drinkable.

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

There is a substantial amount of yeast on the bottom of the bottles in my six-pack and it does not pack tightly. It is almost impossible to pour without getting a substantial amount of "floaties" in your beer. A normal pour yields a very turbid beer. With a little care in your pour, you can see a clear, orange beer in your glass. The head is light and collapses fairly quickly.

All I could smell in the nose was yeast and a bit of oxidation (although, to be fair, the "best by" date is only 5 days in the future).

The flavor, however, is very good. A mix of grains -- the label says oats, wheat and barley -- yields an interesting, almost cracker-like flavor with a crisp edge. The lemon verbana (whatever-the-hell that is, it's listed on the label), gives a slightly tart zing to the finish.

Full mouthfeel with low carbonation (by US standards). Personally, I think a little more attenuation and carbonation would have been a good thing, but that's just my opinion.

I think most people's opinion of this beer will depend on their acceptance of a substantial amount of yeast floaties in their brew. I like a good, turbid wheat beer every once in awhile, but somehow the amount of yeast in this beer was just too much for me. The beer underneath the yeast was tasty, though. If I see this seasonal next year with less yeast in the bottle, I'll grab another six pack.

3.28/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours a cloudy orange with a thin white head. Good lace on the glass.

Where is the aroma? I could only detect a faint malt character in the nose. I wanted spice and citrus and all I got was light light malt.

There is a bit more flavor in the taste--mild citrus and malt mingle in the taste but leave me wanting more complexity.

This is a thin beer that actually has a nice bite of carbonation--unfortunately, that is its only redeeming quality.

I was disappointed with this rather bland offering from New Belgium. I would grab their Abbey Ale or Trippel before this one.

3.7/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a cloudy orange with a decent white head and patchy lacing. The aroma is hugely malty with a citrus finish. The taste is nice and multifaceted...and very rich. Huge malt lays the foundation for a honey-sweet herbal/citrus finish that is quite dry and nice. Mouthfeel is good and slightly chewy...more wholesome than refreshing. Drinkability is decent, but this is quite rich beer that might get annoyingly sweet after a bit. Yum.

4.01/5  rDev +9.3%

The beer pours a fiery orange, slightly hazy from some stirred up yeast. Plenty of carbonation bubbles race up to feed a generous, creamy froth. The head settles into a thick mist, a crescent of beer peeking through. Large clumps of lace cling irregularly to the glass.
The aroma is rather mild, but pleasant. Spicy and fruity, with a light toasty maltiness. The hops hide beneath the spiciness, adding a light floral tang. The aroma is rather smooth, probably from the yeast, which also lends a characteristic spicy sourness. Perhaps some wheat malt. A bit of lemon and faint pear, along with a touch of apricot.
The flavor starts with an instant wheat maltiness, creating an instantly dry feel, coupled with spicy belgian yeast. Huge amounts of lemon and lime, perhaps some grains of paradise? Hints of apricot and orange peel, similar to a wit in that sense. A bit of banana and pear, the fruitiness lingering into the finish. A mild spicy belgian yeast flair integrates with soft floral hops, a touch peppery. A pinch of saaz? Very dry in the finish, snapping off pretty clean, only a faint white bread flavor in the aftertaste along with a pinch of orange zest. I'm guessing they used a similar yeast to whatever is suitable to a witbier. More dry than sour. Light to medium bodied, with sturdy, effervescent carbonation.
An interesting take on a farmhouse ale. A bit fuller feeling, with a super dry feel that would be killer in summer or late autumn. I'd probably get bored of this after 3-4 glasses, but I could easy have had another. I've always been pleased with the New Belgium brews, and this is no exception.

3.29/5  rDev -10.4%

This pours a cloudy orange with little head that doesn't last at all. Plenty of sediment floating around. This is my first experience with this style but I'm sure this is normal. Not bad.

The smell is kind of a bready orange, for lack of a better term. I see that they use lemon but I catch its citrus cousin instead. I don't mind a bit of orange in my beer.

This smell is not as evident in the taste, it is mostly light bread but not objectionable.

It feels good on the mouth, you don't feel the sediment as all. Pretty smooth really.

As for drinkability, I don't want too many of these, but one or two isn't bad.

Overall this isn't a bad beer and worth a try, but is not memorable enough for me to seek either.

4.2/5  rDev +14.4%

on tap at the Blind Tiger, NYC, New Belgium night.
Poured cloudy, yeasty orange with a soft head and leaving nice lace. Delicate flavors of citrus, earth, spice, honey. The gathered beer geeks told me this was real rarity on tap in the east. so I ordered another glass! Fine stuff, delicate, nicely balanced, worth seeking out especially for those, like me, who are into this style.

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a hazy orange copper with a thin wispy white head that doesn't stay long. Smells of tangy, fruity malt, with alcohol present and some spicy hop notes. Taste starts with the fruity malt that has kind of an orange zest/peel side to it. I swear I'm getting some cardamon flavors as well. Finish is yeasty, wheat bitter, and plenty dry. Could use a bit more hop spice in the taste. Not as good as I was hoping for, but still a pretty good beer. Feel is plenty bubbly and not too thin.

3.67/5  rDev 0%

Off-white head atop a hazed, brownish gold beer.
Aroma of grainy malt, wheat, doughy yeast, and lemon.

Taste shows grainy malt and wheat. Hint of yeast. Good dose of lemon. Decent hop balance. A dry, sour, tartness plays big, especially at the finish. Has an almost phenol like characteristic.

Good body and mouthfeel.
Tastey, but mouth-puckering at times and not the most drinkable beer.

A little different as expected. Overall, a solid beer, but not something I'd look to sample again anytime soon. Thanks to bditty for the bottle.

I found a sixer of this almost by accident at one of my local grocery stores. I had pretty much given up on seeing it in my region, but there it was sitting unexpectedly on the shelf. I wasted no time in snapping up a sixer for $6.49.

Now this is a very interesting seasonal ale from New Belgium. It's bottle conditioned, and billed as a March beer, although I could see myself hitting this again as the weather continues to warm. It uses an unusual combination of wheat, oat, and barley malts, combined with lemon verbena to provide the traditional saison-citrus profile. NB claims that the yeasts are of an as yet unidentified strain.

Biere de Mars pours a cloudy, yeasty, muddy looking orange color.It looks very nice, very inviting. Small head, lots of carbonation, again very consistent with the saison style. Good, fruity nose on the sample. HInts of the citrus to come, and a malty undertone to the smell.

The taste was yeasty at first, and slightly overbitter. It evened out quickly, though, and settled into a nice balance between the malts and hops. It smoothed out even more as it warmed. I would recommend that this beer be quaffed at about 55-60 degrees. Very enjoyable as I worked my way through the mug. The lemon verbena lent a nice citrus character to the beer, but in an earthy way, not overbearing at all. My wife used to grow a lot of lemon verbena in her herb garden, and we'd use it to season certain foods. It's a nice change of pace to taste it in a beer. The finish and aftertaste was slightly bitter, keeping me from rating this a little higher.

Good mouthfeel. Very drinkable. It was easy to down this sample, and I could have dropped one or two mre without blinking. Although marketed as a March seasonal, I could see drinking this beer in the late spring/early summer.

Good job. Another winner from New Belgium.

2.95/5  rDev -19.6%

When poured, the color and hue were of an hazy, cloudy orange with no foam to speak of. The smell was of a wheaty citrus nature. Although the bottle said lemon verbena, I thought I picked up orange blossoms in the aroma. The taste was not what I expected from the smells and aroma. I got a bitter sour fell in my mouth and my palate. There is just a no nothing taste in this ale. What a dissapointment from New Belgium!

3.87/5  rDev +5.4%

The Biere de Mars poured a cloudy yellow-orange with lots of tiny floating sediment. It had a fizzy, white head that quickly went to a thin layer. It has an earthy, fruity aroma of lemon and maybe coriander with some very slight hops. Its taste was sweet malt up front, with quite a bit of lemony citrus, some floral hints, and then a crisp finish. Overall, a nice refreshing, lighter beer.

3.46/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark clear yellow-orange with a small head with large bubbles. The smell conists of light yeast and a light sweet twang with not much else poking through. The taste reveals that the smell is somewhat of a sleeper with a roasted malt and light citrus twang, faint hops, and just a slight hint floral flavoring. It is very light bodied and finishes neither dry nor sweet, but right in the middle. *Note, there is a spot during the wave of taste that is very reminiscent of Fat Tire and I believe it is the roasted malt. Pretty good, but not great. Cheers!

3.42/5  rDev -6.8%

Pours a hazy orange-gold color and is topped by an off white head. Aromas of lemons and herbs waft from my glass. There are also some thin malty notes in the nose. The taste is lightly sweet up front, and is quite crisp and clean. Some subtle notes of herbal lemon character are present. Nice, crisp, and refreshing, with perhaps a hint of acidity in the finish. Basically a good hot weather beer.

My biggest complaint is that this beer is being released in the wrong season. It should be a late spring/ summer beer. For this to really work, for me, the alcohol should be boosted up to about 8%.

3.36/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

heard this was the "bomb". pours out a bright vibrant orange with a fat pillow head. nice looking beer. on the nose there is some malt, citrus and spice but it is faint. the taste is in the ballpark with the aroma. light spice and def. lemony citrus flavor. the malt is a bit biscuity but also has some sweetness to it. a little grainy. pretty lively carbonation and crisp in the mouth. its not a bad beer, but after one...i was ready for something else. its not the "bomb".

$6.99 a sixer.

3.97/5  rDev +8.2%

A nice hazy light amber color with very little head. The aroma is fruity and yeasty. It has a slight spiciness to it and has lots pf different flavors that includes various fruits and spices along with a very yeasty finish. It has little to no bitterness and is very well balanced. Overall a nice lite brew.

3.98/5  rDev +8.4%

Purchased a sixer at the North Coast Co-op in Arcata, California.

Electric orange on the pour, ah! Barely a head, same with lacing.

Smell is of citrus peels (orange and grapefruit), sugary malts and a wheat density. The smell is very quiet, I should note. Had to dig around to pick it up fully.

The taste is so smooth is almost escapes me in a flourish of gentle malts and wheat. And now I'm picking up the barley-wine-esque edge, really tasty. Some minimal hop bitterness around the edges.

Mouthfeel is slightly creamy. Works well.

I'm really enjoying this -- my first time with this particular style.

3.81/5  rDev +3.8%

When I lived in Fort Collins I really looked forward to this one every year with it being a seasonal release. It glows orangish red like the planet Mars. It has a very citrus like flavor. No sediment at all when bought fresh. I've done a lot of experimenting with this beer and with the advice of a New Belgium employee, I tried a pinch of salt in the bottom of my glass. This really brought out flavors you could not taste beforehand. A wedge of orange or lemon is a nice touch also. Best served a little warmer than most beers. Goes really well with food. A beer you could drink all night especially during a good bar-b-que.

Lips Of Faith - Biere De Mars from New Belgium Brewing