Lips Of Faith - Biere De Mars - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Bière de Garde |  6.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: mattmaples on 07-20-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - Biere De Mars Alström Bros
2.5/5  rDev -31.5%

nmann08, Nov 28, 2011

tbeq00, Nov 28, 2011

JAHMUR, Nov 27, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +6.3%

Didn't remember enjoying this beer the first time I tried it, and the only reason I got it again was because I love the Lips of Faith bottles and I'm collecting my favorite sets.

Overall I was very surprised...wasn't expecting much, but I was very happy with the end result. Mild funk on the nose. The taste and mouthfeel were very dry. That Brett really developed this beer into something. My friends and I enjoyed it.

Cheers

DaveHack, Nov 17, 2011

EasyReader, Nov 17, 2011

kkrez, Nov 15, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Saw this beer for half off if you pay w/ cash so I gave this one and La Fleur Messiuer a whirl. I have never had a Biere de Garde and honestly don't much about it. I wasn't going to review it but I figured I would because I'm sure others would like to see an imput on someone who is new to the style, considering this isn't exactly popular

Poured into a snifter.

Appearance-A cloudy body that's like a sunny orange. Head is less then a finger with some big bubbles clinging to the side of the glass. Dissipated fairly quickly and left some minimal lacing.

Smell-Almost reminded me of a pale wheat ale. Almost aromaless with some lemon and wheat, but it opened up a little bit. Started to a Saison yeast type aroma along with some subtle spices.

Taste-Very bready and yeasty, especially upfront. I get some citrus and funky tartness in the middle and the finish is pretty sweet, almost feel like I'm getting some caramel.

Mouthfeel-High drinkability. Body is light to medium bodied and carbonation is pretty high.

Overall-This beer is pretty good. It was refreshing cold and a little more complex as it warms. Still tough to review a beer that I've never had before, but I'd say purchase this beer if you can.

SWMeyer4141, Oct 04, 2011
3.68/5  rDev +0.8%

22 oz bottle split and poured into a Bruery tulip.
6.2% ABV, couldn't find the screened-on date.

A - Lightly hazy dirty apricot with a loosely retained off-white head and spotty lace adorning the glass.

S - The nicely malty base beer provided a good backbone while allowing the yeast nuances to flourish. Funky wild yeast tones of barnyard lay behind a layer of clay and earth. Notes of peach fruit poke through. The nose is nuanced by complex!

T - Muted, muddled flavor is a big disappointment after the nuanced but pronounced aroma. Biere de Mars has a bland malt and earthy yeast profile with hints of funky yeast and fruit esters.

M - Medium-bodied and moderately carbonated, the dry finish assists the flavor in being muted and falling somewhat flat. A touch of tartness to the finish.

O - A good effort from New Belgium but it could use more definition in the flavor. The nose offers much more.

BeerFMAndy, Aug 15, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -8.2%

Looks deep orange with mild cloudiness, 2 finger puffy white head, dies back in five minutes without leaving any lacing. Carbonation is sort of on the low end and body is rather thin...but than again the flavor profile seems meant for a light-bodied brew.
Neither the taste nor the nose were anywhere near as sour as I had been expecting based on other BA's reviews. Smells like bananas, lemon citrus, heavy Belgian yeast funk mostly obscuring the scent of mildly sweet caramels and a small hint of sour green apples.
Taste is a lot earthier than the nose would have you believe, the Brett Flavor is a bit out of control in proportion to the sweet and bitter elements. I'm really straining to detect it, but those mild sour green apples are indeed there, just once again mostly obscured by other flavors like the Brett Yeast earth tones and some grassy hop spectrum. I would have preferred less Brett and more sour Wild Ale flora elements....
So in the end this comes across as a lemon citric and Brett Yeast centric brew that wants to call itself a Biere de Garde but is secretly a really nice Belgian Golden Ale. I wish it were classified as such so that I could give it the good score it deserves, but as a Biere de Garde??? Not quite.

WastingFreetime, Jul 31, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -11%

I had this over memorial day weekend, reviewed from notes I made then. Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear amber color with a light golden hue. There is a finger of white head that fades to a ring around the glass.

Smell: Sweet malt with yeast spice and citrus notes. I'm also picking up a mild banana note.

Taste: Sweet malt and lots of spice from the yeast. Notes of fruit including citrus and banana. A bit acidic in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with medium to high carbonation and a mildly dry finish.

Overall: I thought this was a very different and interesting beer. I liked it enough, but I don't know that all the flavors worked together for me.

oline73, Jun 01, 2011