Lips Of Faith - Tart Lychee - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: Overlord on 07-20-2009

Three year old Wild Beer blended with lychee and a touch of Ceylon cinnamon.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 657 | Reviews: 199

2.62/5  rDev -34%

Heard this was different from bottle compared to tap.

Pours solid haze purulent yellow. No foam save some surface etch. Nose is overdone with the cinnamon. Some tart and sweetness in the back, but this time, cinnamon dominates (waaay different than tap for me). Tart with more cinnamon and some lychee juice to help pucker me up. Medium on full bodied with light carb and a semi dry finish. It's quite the novelty.
2/2.5/3/2/2.5 -

2.75/5  rDev -30.7%

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Doing best to review to style here. Pours a pale honey color with slight haze, minimal head. Nose is somewhat timid, which was a surprise. Some candied fruits there. Palate offers a weird sour fruit with cinnamon flavor that leads to an off-putting aftertaste resembling a bile vomit taste that doesn't exactly evoke positive memories. Wish it wasn't there but I can't get past it. Maybe I let this beer warm too much.

3.01/5  rDev -24.2%

Wow - When I first had Tart Lychee on tap two years ago, I thought it was the best beer I had ever had. I've been drinking craft beer for 22 years, and making it for 3 - so I don't say this lightly. I had reached out to them to find out that it was a one-time only production and because they had to use an expensive 3,000 lbs of lychees for the batch - it would never be made again. What made it so good was the great journey it took you on - from the extreme sweetness on first smell, to the extreme tartness on the finish. I'd never had a beer that had that wide a range between the two.

When I first heard about TL being released in bottles, I ran out to stores till I found one that had it and bought the only case they had. As soon as I was able to cool it down enough, I popped it open to sample it.

In the vein of being constructive, I will say that it is a pleasant enough beer to drink. In the vein of being truthful, I will say that I could not have been more disappointed in the massive difference between the first release and this one. They are NOT the same beer, they just share the same name. The extreme 'lychee' nose is gone, the extreme tartness at the finish with it.

This is a pleasant enough sour ale that can fit in with most average sours one can find at stores. I would really like to know what was behind the recipe change. I would prefer to have paid 2X for the original than the $11/bottle I paid for this one.

Any info. on this is much appreciated.

3.03/5  rDev -23.7%

Poured a nice, hazy orange. Very little head.

Smells very faintly of a musty basement, with just a touch of sweetness

Taste kinda let me down. The taste is of a grapefruit? soda. I'm sort of confused by this flavor. Wild Ale is something I NEVER would've guessed for the style. It is more like a fruit beer gone wrong.

Mouthfeel is medium to light bodied.

This beer was ok....I don't think I'll feel the need to revisit this one again.

3.09/5  rDev -22.2%

1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into an Odell pilsner glass in me friend Brendan's gaff in high altitude Fort Collins, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are pretty high given that it's a sour beer from New Belgium; I loved La Folie.

Served straight from the refrigerator and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a shite floater head of beige colour which is horribly thin and retains poorly. Colour is a murky hazy pale orange. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Heavy lychee - I mean hot damn, hello Lychee. Slight spice; cinnamon isn't distinct but could be present. Sweet, syrupy, and appealing. A moderate strength aroma.

T: Heavy lychee mixed with a strange off-cinnamon note alongside a syrupy juicy character. I like the spice, which comes on the climax - but it's a touch too earthy, and feels rather indistinct. Some mild citrus ester hops. Too sweet on the finish. Not complex or horribly subtle, but enjoyable for what it is. No yeast or alcohol comes through. Not really sour. Somewhat tart, but not as much as they'd have us believe.

Mf: Smooth and wet, but a bit overcarbonated. Thick enough, but too syrupy.

Dr: Drinkable and enjoyable, but too sweet. I might try it on draught, but it's rather pricey for its limited quality. Hides its ABV well. I like it, but it's far from great.

C+

3.1/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

22oz bottle into a tulip glass

A: Pours a very cloudy light golden color with a finger of very active white foam that fairly quickly recedes to a ring around the beer.

S: A bit subdued, I get some wheat, fruitiness that smells similar to guava to me that I assume is the lychee, light spiciness, and a bit of citrus acidity.

T: I get a very nice juiciness that is both sweet and sour, but not overbearing and quite balanced. However, this is mixed with an odd spiciness that I would not pinpoint as cinnamon and an unpleasant, yet restrained metallic flavor. This has potential, but it's a bit two dimensional and the second dimension isn't very good. As it sits, the spice seems a bit more integrated, but the beer never approaches complex.

M: Medium body with strong carbonation.

O: A bit of a disappointment. I was hoping to feel differently than the recent relatively mediocre reviews, but this beer isn't great. It's got a nice juiciness from the lychee, but other than that the flavors are not very good and not very complex.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Lips Of Faith - Tart Lychee from New Belgium Brewing