Lips Of Faith - Tart Lychee - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: Overlord on 07-20-2009

Three year old Wild Beer blended with lychee and a touch of Ceylon cinnamon.
3.45/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at MSCM. 12 oz. served in a snifter on September 9th, 2012.

A - Look almost exactly like The Bruery's Mother Funker. Super hazy peach coloring with absolutely no head, retention, or lacing.

S - Lychee fruit, which is softly sweet. Underneath is light spice, mango, banana, and honey baked bread.

T - Mild tartness, tangy lychee citrus, light vinegar acidity, sweet almost papaya like fruit flavor.

M - Light body, light to moderate carbonation, semi-dry finish.

D - The tanginess of this is unique and would make me revisit. Overall quite refreshing.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 out of the Lips of Faith line.. Picked up sometime late last week for I think $9ish... Seems pricey.. Poured into my slim tulip ... short lasting white head.. not much in the way of lacing.. the brew is a muddy golden..

Nose is big and fruity.. plenty of sour.. light funkiness... green apple (sort of) and underripe plum... honestly I have no idea what a Lychee smells or tastes like. Not getting any oak or cinnamon.

Flavor mirrors the aromas with an underlying tropical note that I am unfamiliar with.. cinnamon is slightly more prevalent but it is just an odd addition as the brew warms up... a bit lemony..

A little thicker than I would expect... carbonation is there, but never attempts to rearm the lacing or head.

Honestly, pretty good... I would hope for something that I associate with "funk" a whole bunch more.. not much in the way of Brett.. pedio... lactobacillus... etc.. Still is nicely sour.

3/3.5/3.5/3.5/3.5

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed at the Goat recently. Reviewed from notes.

Appearance- I don't really have anything nice to say here. I am trying to keep the style in mind, but it still didn't look terribly appealing. It was a light, almost apple cider color. Cloudy. Not even a hint of head, and absolutely no lacing. If this was a different style this score would be much lower.

Smell- Plenty of sour apple. Some good funk. Definitely fruits. Is this what lychee smells like? Hmmm, I don't have a fresh one handy to compare. Smells like old apples left rotting in the box of a barn. A tad muted.

Taste- Tart, for sure. A nice sour apple, followed by some other fruits (probably the lychee again). The tartness is balanced by real sweetness. As it warms it gets sticky-sweet. A lot of pear as well. Almost cloying at the end. Want some more funkiness.

Mouthfeel- Very light carbonation. Gets a little syrupy after awhile.

Drinkability- Refreshing for a hot day if consumed nice and cold, much less so if consumed on a temperate day or indoors.

Pretty disappointed. I tried this again and came to the same conclusion. I just want the sour/funk to balance better with the sweetness and the fruits. I think it gets too syrupy and sweet, honestly.

3.48/5  rDev -12.3%

22 ounce bottle - $8.48 at Sherlock's in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours a well-clouded, dark yet dim golden-orange body with a short-lived, whitish head.

Smell: Soiled, soured, lightly funky wooden planks given a liberal dusting of finely-ground cinnamon powder. Fine fruity, sweet-scented notes of ingratiating lychee close out the aroma but, for me, are marred by the unnecessary presence of the cinnamon.

Taste: Sourish, woodsy notes countered with spoonfuls of white grape jelly overneath notes of pale malts and caramel-edge wheat. Well-rounded acidity. Then, there's the blasted cinnamon, which just isn't complimentary to the overall flavor. I signed up for Tart Lychee, not Tart Cinnamon Lychee. Perhaps they simply had a few sacks left over from brewing Cocoa Mole and were taking the "waste not, want not" approach to beer production. Sweet, acidic, fruity finish with some underlying sourness, and, erg, more of the cinnamon.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium-plus carbonation.

Overall: Hrm. I would've enjoyed this quite a bit more minus the cinnamon.

3.5/5  rDev -11.8%

Bottle: Poured a hazy golden color ale with a medium size foamy head with light retention and minimal lacing. Aroma of sour and tart notes with light lychee notes. Taste is mostly dominated by tart and lightly sour notes with some fruity ester and light lychee taste. The cinnamon is quite subtle but kind of cut through the sour notes. Body is about average with good carbonation and no apparent alcohol. Interesting beer though not something I would like to have on a regular basis.

3.5/5  rDev -11.8%

Disclaimer – I have never eaten a lychee, which means I do not know what to expect from this, and I have no point of reference regarding whether or not the beer tastes like lychee.

This was a cloudy yellow. When I first poured it into a glass, it smelled like champagne. This faded and it was slightly sweet and sour. I could taste the booze and almost a faint pine taste. It tasted fruity, but because I have never had a lychee I am not certain if it tasted like lychee. However, there was a distinct taste in there that I have never tasted in other beers, which I presume may have been lychee. I definitely picked up on the cinnamon. It is tart, but not to the extent of a good sour beer.

Other details: There was lots of sediment in the bottle. It was nicely carbonated. It is different than anything I have had, and because of that, I recommend others try it. Although this may not be my favorite beer, it challenged me. I like that. I respect this strange brew.

I’ll have another.

3.5/5  rDev -11.8%

A - Dirty straw, small near white head leaves to ring fast, some cling lace.

S - Tart is in the nose, a middle tone that might be the lychee, followed by some malt.

T - Tart, somewhat nutty in the center, small malt attribute. Very mild in general.

M - Medium body, good carb, fair balance.

D - Overall, a drinkable beer, but not anything to write home about.

Lips Of Faith - Tart Lychee from New Belgium Brewing