Lips Of Faith - Tart Lychee - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: Overlord on 07-20-2009

Three year old Wild Beer blended with lychee and a touch of Ceylon cinnamon.
4.1/5  rDev +4.9%

22oz bottle poured into my Allagash glass. It poured a bright golden color with a thin but frothy head covering the top. It left some good lacing on the glass as I drank it as well.

The aroma is very tart and sour. I get a lot of green apple and sour lemon flavors to it. It definitely has a strong fruit presence that I assume is the lychee, but I can't say I know what lychee smells like though. It's a little acidic, but not too bad. The sour lychee fruit was a little strange at first, but I'm really starting to like it the more I get into it.

The taste also has a strong sour fruit flavor throughout. Again, green apple and sour lemon are both things that come to mind as I'm drinking it. The finish is a little acidic, but the fruit helps cut through it. The sourness lingers pretty well.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied for the style with carbonation being above average. Overall, it was a very interesting and pretty good beer. It was a little strange at first as the sour lychee flavors were very strong and unique. The more I got into it though the more I liked it. I really liked that it had a very bold sourness to it without becoming overly acidic or one dimensional. I definitely appreciated the uniqueness of it as well. Very enjoyable beer overall. (1,270 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -8.4%

had a goblet at Tilia in Linden Hills. Basically, this was a balanced, tart American wild ale, but not a terribly interesting sour beer. There's a light, yet cloying sweet note from the fruit, but otherwise there's a peppery citrus-like sour tang under smooth, sweet doughy malts. I wouldn't order another goblet on tap, but I'd consider picking up a bomber to cellar for a couple years. I don't mean to undersell what's clearly a tasty sour ale, but it's not on par with a good gueuze. (486 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -5.4%

Draft at The Noble Fir in Seattle, WA.

Pours a cloudy golden orange color with golden yellow edges and a half finger white head that quickly settles into a thin ring.  Sporadic streaks and spots of lace left behind.

Musty, funky aroma with bretty barnyard notes and subtle light fruit.  Oaky, earthy and surprisingly funky with lots of brett.  This really dominates the nose and I'm having trouble picking anything else out.  Slight citrus and tropical fruit but it's overpowered by funk and barrel.

Medium bodied with tight carbonation and a tart, puckering mouthfeel that's sour but not aggressively so. Very refreshing with some dry, earthy oak and sweet citrus fruit notes.  Hints of what must be lychee, grapefruit and orange peel.  Well balanced, refreshing and easy to drink.  Not harsh or acidic with a nice combination of bretty funk, barrel character and sweet fruit.  (891 characters)

On tap at the Hudson St. Stackhouse.

The beer pours a hazy, honey gold color with good head retention and lacing. The nose is impressivve and probably the best aspect of this beer, as I pick up considerable lychee and kiwi, along with some peach and light honey. The beer has something of sweet and tart flavor profile, with the sour/tart flavor dominating. The flavors actually seemed a bit muddled to me, though still enjoyable. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a sour tart finish. Alcohol is very well integrated into the flavor profile, and drinkability is very good.

A solid beer, no doubt, but just not my cup of tea. Still, was glad to have the opportunity to try this one. (682 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 out of the Lips of Faith line.. Picked up sometime late last week for I think $9ish... Seems pricey.. Poured into my slim tulip ... short lasting white head.. not much in the way of lacing.. the brew is a muddy golden..

Nose is big and fruity.. plenty of sour.. light funkiness... green apple (sort of) and underripe plum... honestly I have no idea what a Lychee smells or tastes like. Not getting any oak or cinnamon.

Flavor mirrors the aromas with an underlying tropical note that I am unfamiliar with.. cinnamon is slightly more prevalent but it is just an odd addition as the brew warms up... a bit lemony..

A little thicker than I would expect... carbonation is there, but never attempts to rearm the lacing or head.

Honestly, pretty good... I would hope for something that I associate with "funk" a whole bunch more.. not much in the way of Brett.. pedio... lactobacillus... etc.. Still is nicely sour.

3/3.5/3.5/3.5/3.5 (935 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +10.7%

A great looking, great tasting beer and a super summer refresher. Hazy, burnished orange gold body, big white head with terrific retention and lacing. Aroma is fruity and tart, citrusy, with pepper and subtle oak and cinnamon. Modest funkiness.

Very complex and highly gulpable at the same time. Tart fruity flavor; moderately sour and puckering but not over-the-top; a trace of oak character; light sweetness dries up in the finish and has you coming back for more quickly. Nice spiciness with cinnamon and pepper notes, some restrained brett funkiness and lemony acidity. Very well-balanced between all of its flavor characteristics.

Medium bodied with crisp carbonation and a clean, quenching feel. One of my favorites of the summer, multiple bottles have been shared and enjoyed. This is one bomber I can easily have all to myself as well! (845 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +7.2%

Poured from 22oz bomber into a tulip.

Appearance: medium golden hue with a light haze and a moderate effervescence. Head is a finger of frothy white foam. Not much in the way of retention or lace, but not bad.

Smell: sweet and fruity aroma with a two-tone tartness: a deep sour component combined with a light, evanescent piquancy which I think makes for an intriguing aroma. I really enjoy it.

Taste: starts off with a tartness and a kind of Brett-style funkiness, which fades into a fruity middle ground. Finishes with a broader sour character. Not as quite as intriguing as the aroma, but really quite good indeed.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a good level of carbonation and a nice, big creaminess. Great job.

Overall: massively drinkable wild ale. I'm not always a fan of New Belgium, but this bad boy, weird as it is, really suits my taste. Dig it. (858 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -2.8%

A: poured a pale golden yellow in color with a thin head that left a little lacing sticking to the glass.

S: there was lots of bready character upfront on the nose with lots of fruit notes coming through and spices were noticeable as well.

T: lots of fruit flavor on the first sip that I am assuming was lychee alongside grain and spice accents.

M: the brew was light to medium in body with a low amount of carbonation which had a fruity, bready, mild spice, and mild tart finish.

O: overall it was an interesting beer and was glad to have tried. I would have more for sure. (578 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a similar appearance to a witbier, had the dull gold color with lots of haze thing going for it. Thin 1/2" head on it, doesn't really provide much in the way of lace or retention, but she's pretty enough. Aroma of tart, berries, the kind you're not used to, cinnamon.

Taste, hey whatever lychee is, I like it, plenty sour, but has a unique vibe, the cinnamon, its like a bakery, sour beer and cinnamon toast crunch. It works well, could easily be the type of beer you could always pick out of a blind taste I would think. Not a massive sour bomb, but it delivers nonetheless.

Another winner from the Lips of Faith series. (630 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +6.9%

Bottle opened on 6.1.12

A - Pours a cloudy lighter orange with a fluffy off-white head that slowly fades leaving good lacing on the glass.

S - Tart fruit, spices, and flowers.

T - Lemony and citrusy, subtle spices, tart (lychee?)

D - Good carbonation and a light body.

O - Citrusy and tart. Subtle spices make it nice and balanced. (337 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +4.3%

22 ounce bottle. Served in a Unibroue tulip, the beer pours a hazy golden/orange color with about an inch off-white head. Head retention is decent, and there's a good amount of lacing left on the glass. The aroma seems light to me, it smells like sweet and tart fruit and some oak. But it is a nice smelling brew. I couldn't tell you what a lychee smells like anyway, so I have no idea if the fruity aroma is from the lychee or not (but I assume that's what it is). Luckily the flavor is stronger in comparison to the aroma. It tastes like tart and sweet fruit (it kinda tastes citrusy and like a strawberry too, but I guess it's lychee), and a little bit of cinnamon. I'm liking the taste of this brew more and more the longer I drink it! Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's well carbonated and quite refreshing. It's a bit slick, too. Overall I think it's a good brew. At $9.99 a bottle, I'd buy this one again in the future. (928 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +10%

Sampled on-tap multiple times at Brewvival.

Pours a hazy golden-straw color with a half-finger bright white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of very tart green apples with hints of, wait for it, tart lychees. If I wasn't a fan of lychees and didn't know they were featured in this beer I would likely not identify them but since I'm looking it is distinct and nicely integrated. Also present are solid amounts of funk and light malts.

Tastes similar to how it smells, though more complex. Light malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by moderately tart pear and light grape flavors. Shortly thereafter the flavor profile sweetens a bit with the addition of lychees. Midway through the sip the profile dries out and solid amounts of funk overpower the fruit flavors. The funk, lychee, and pear flavors carry through to a crisp ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with active carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I didn't have a problem finishing my glass and could have a few more.

Overall, this beer was exactly as advertised. The lychees were more tart than expected, but then again the name is sort of a giveaway. Distinct and very much worth a shot. (1,237 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -7.9%

Pours a hazy darker straw color with a very thin white head that recedes leaving minimal spotty lacing.

Aromas begin quite tart with some noticeable fruit character. I couldn't say for sure that it smells like lychees but it comes across as green apple and lemon. As it warms I am able to pick out the cinnamon more and more.

The tastes follow the nose with a substantial amount of lacto, fruity tartness and sour fruit flavors, must be the lychees again. The oak is there, mainly in a tannic form. Decent amount of brett funk and dryness. Cinnamon spice lingers into the finish. As it warms the overall flavor profile becomes a tad too sweet, like sweet tart candies.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied for the style with medium carbonation. Finish is too sweet overall and could use a bump from the oak and tartness to create a more desired, dry finish.

Overall I am starting to become disenchanted with these Lips of Faith series beers as they continue to get me excited because the recipes sound amazing, but continue to be lack-luster. Won't be seeking this out again anytime soon. (1,090 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -3.6%

On tap at fobab...Pours a murky gold with a decent white head...The aroma is tart fruits, very acidic, a little sweetness to balance, I like it...The taste is quit similar tart acidicness, vinous notes again. Not enough sweetness comes through for me, here not quite a as successful. Something about the sourness is not grooving with me, too acidic and sharp.

A pretty good wild but that's about it. (400 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +1%

Received a bottle of this as an extra in a trade. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a nice hazy orange golden hue with a big, creamy two finger head that faded to leave a nice creamy white blanket and solid lacing.

S - This really, really has to warm up in order to get the cinnamon aromas. Get nice La Folia style sourness that is pleasant, getting NO lychee though but the cinnamon is quite nice and different.

T - Interesting. Not really quite as sour as I like from these guys, with maybe some slight sweetness from the lychee. There is an odd flavour that must be the lychee. Not bad. The end note with cinnamon was pleasant, surprisingly so.

M - Mouthfeel is a bit thin/flat for my liking. A bit too lowly carbonated.

O - Overall this was a good beer but like other Lips beers the recipe doesnt quite translate over for me. Glad to try this though. (863 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -0.8%

22oz bomber, split

appearance: split/served in my hopleaf tulip, cloudy straw-orange body, creamy white froth

smell: some tart berry, sugar, floral yeast

taste: a nice beer - the cinnamon was played well in my opinion and i disagree that it overpowers, nice notes of oak, berry, yeast, tart sugars

mouthfeel: light tartness, refreshing

overall: tasty, a little pedestrian (376 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -0.5%

On tap in a snifter, Tart Lychee is a very murky dull burnt straw with a light tan head that quickly settles, giving the beer a thick, still appearance that is frankly not very appetizing. Reminds me of yeast dregs from a beer starter.

Smell is a bit pungent, overripe/rotting fruit, hints of sweetness.

Taste is pretty good, nice lacto tartness, tropical fruit vibe, cinnamon back-current that doesn't overwhelm or stand out to strongly. Not familiar with the lychee fruit, but I assume the taste is well represented here. Clean finish, and very unique overall.

Mouthfeel is dry and slick, medium light bodied, decent carbonation, totally different then it looks, in a good way.

Drinkability is pretty good for a very unusual fruit sour. I enjoy the acidity and the general cohesion. (792 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -18.7%

I wanted to try this, but not so badly that I was ready to pay $9 or so for it. Then, I got to try this at the Lost Abbey tasting last night. Thanks, Jamie!

Light yellow/orange with a dense, white head that falls off to a ring rather quickly. The nose is sugary, mildly tart with a nice lychee aroma. Sourness is minimal, and this smells dusty, Bretty and mildly melony. The palate opens with melon sweetness, sweet and ripe lychees and floral notes. Stale pale base malt is noticeable. Light in body, moderately carbonated, a little too much IMO. Drying, clean finish. Decent. (578 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +6.6%

22 oz bottle poured into a New Belgium globe.
7.5% ABV, 120410031 on "label".

A - Densely hazy dirty apricot golden in color, Tart Lychee has a tall white head with good staying power and little dribbles of lace caked on the glass.

S - Sour, acidic oak bursts fourth with tingly floral hop attributes delicately lingering behind. A unique playful tropical fruitiness bounces off the sourdough bready malt as a sprinkle of light cinnamon wafts in on the back end.

T - Sweet but certainly not sugary fruit flavor hits the tongue first but is quickly abolished by bold tartness. Light acidity follows into the oak wood flavor but I'm hard-pressed to taste the cinnamon in here. The flavor is much more straight-forward; less depth.

M - The sweet and sour of Tart Lychee balances wonderful on the palate, keeping it really refreshing as it dries out the tongue. Medium-bodied and otherwise smooth, the tart, sour finish is a rewarding way to end each sip.

O - A refreshingly sour spring brew, Tart Lychee is far less deep than I had anticipated from a Lips of Faith series beer, but the oak and fruit come together nicely for a very drinkable beer. The cinnamon is lost somewhere in here but it makes little difference in the end. A good level of "sour power" at a good price point. (1,283 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bomber pours a hazed gold color with a fluffy white head. Decent retention and lacing.

Nose is quite sour, exciting! Definitely get some light lychee syrup aroma and the cinnamon is there too. Clever, this one is.

Ehhh, this one doesnt come together quite right on the flavor. It is nowhere near as sour as it smelled and the cinnamon and sourness clash, for me at least. An odd tart, back-of-the-throat fruitiness comes out as well that I am not a big fan of. It's not too bad, but after the mouth-watering aroma I am let down. If they could have bumped up the sour power and just left the cinnamon off altogether, I think we'd have something. (652 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -0.3%

On tap at Hay Merchant in Houston, TX

A: Pours a cloudy, deep hazed orange color. A two finger bubbly white head rises in a second, and noisily recedes to a ring. A light cap sticks throughout. Not much lace is left behind however.
S: Ripe orange and passion fruit. Apple cider, tart and acidic. I really like the nose.
T: Tart and acidic. Some fruits that are very nice. Orange, mango, apple cider are all there, but a little muddled. Grainy malts. I really like it, I just wish the fruits were a bit brighter.
M/D: A medium body and very effervescent. Crisp, dry, and refreshing. Really enjoyable to sip on. A nice puckering that makes me want to keep taking sips.

Very well made. Maybe not my favorite Wild Ale by New Belgium, but very good in its own right. I will be drinking more of these while places still have it on tap and in bottles around town. (859 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Had while at Brewvival. Served from tap into a sampler Brewvival imperial pint. Poured a hazy yellow with very slight orange tint with a half finger white head that subsided to a minimal ring very quickly. There was no lacing evident throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, tart fruit, sour fruit, and a nice Brett funkiness. The flavor was of sweet malt, big sour, slight tart, and just a hint of funky. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. I must say that New Belgium brought their A-game to this event. This brew was another standout on the day for myself. Just a great example of a well balanced sour. The sourness and tartness worked in unison to not destroy your palate with or the other. A definite must try given the chance. (810 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -2%

FoBAB, from notes.

A - Hazy orangish color with some yellow on the edges. Finger of white head that had some good retention and left some fair lacing on the sides.

S - Smells like some unripened cherry, oak, vanilla, sweet spices, some acetic notes. I'm not sure what lychee is supposed to smell like exactly, so maybe it's in here somewhere and I don't realize it. Smells good though.

T - Tart, quite tart actually with a pretty sour profile that finishes with a bit of oak and vanilla. A little bit of a vinous quality to it.

M - Medium bodied with some active carbonation.

O - Good beer. I need to go eat some lychee (is that possible?) to see if the beer tasted like that. Pretty good beer though, and a nice American Sour. (733 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -7.7%

This is a gift from friend Tim H; thanks man! Not bad beer, but with the high score, I expected more. Poured at a good temperature with no head or lace. Color is a hazy amber with a bubble trail. Aroma's the best thing here: lots of caramel, some sour, fruit, malt. Flavor's decent, but I don't pick up the spice, sweet/sour up front along with some carbonic tang, but not a lot else. Body and carbonation are good. Finish is like flavor, of average length, and drinkable. Good burps. (484 characters)

22oz bottle $9.49, this is my second bottle. Cloudy orange-yellow with a short head. Smells fruity and funky, clearly it will be tart. It also reminds me a bit of Kick and Le Terroir in the aroma. Taste is fruity, hint of cinnamon, tartness and again I am reminded of previous New Belgium sours, must be a house character or maybe some of the blends have a base sour? Either way, good stuff and New Belgium is doing nice stuff with the Lips of Faith these days. (461 characters)

Lips Of Faith - Tart Lychee from New Belgium Brewing