Lips Of Faith - Tart Lychee - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: Overlord on 07-20-2009

Three year old Wild Beer blended with lychee and a touch of Ceylon cinnamon.
Ratings: 661 | Reviews: 200
3.62/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle poured into a tulip glass. Beer pours a cloudy light yellow orange, with half a finger of loose white head that quickly dissipates to a thin collar of bubbles and a slick of film. Really hazy with a bit of carbonation at the edge of the glass.

Nose is interesting, lightly floral, apricot and grape skin astringency, sweeter stone fruit, sweet wheat beer flavors of light biscuit, and a light cinnamon. The lychee, already a very light aroma is probably overwhelmed by everything else, unfortunately.

Taste leads with fruit skin astringency, grape and plum skin, some wheat, light biscuit, light cinnamon and with a linger tropical fruit flavors. Kinda bland with no aftertaste.

Light bodied and easy to drink, decently flavored but not as lychee flavored as I was expecting.

3.39/5  rDev -14.6%

22oz bomber into a Cantillon flute. Shared with schen9303.

.5 finger foamy white head with moderate retention. Beer is a slightly cloudy pale pear color. Lacing is patchy and thick with no cling. A bit poor on all fronts for the style.

Nose is slightly sweet with some yeast and cane sugar notes. Some very mellow tartness (which I can't attribute to anything distinct) lingers in the back. Very very mellow.

Opens sweet with a spiciness upfront. A flavor that I'm guessing is lychee sweetness in the middle. Brett in the back that's overpowered by the sweetness. Some cinnamon notes in the end coupled with a brief tartness. Brett with a sweet sour aftertaste. Decent but a touch one-dimensional. The fruit is barely noticeable.

Light bodied with moderate to high carbonation. Prickly and effervescent in the mouth and slick and messy in the finish. Lingering aftertaste. Really refreshing and easy drinking.

Lychee fruit is one of my favorites so naturally, I was very excited when this beer first got made. Sadly, the fruit flavors are a bit lost in this beer and all that's left is a big, sweet brew with a slight hint of tartness at the beginning and end. Decent but I'm a bit disappointed since my expectations were rather high.

Poured 22 oz into Immort Ale globe

Orange tinted yellow color with a one finger white head that dissipates rather quickly, leaving a bit of lacing on the glass. Funky, tart scent and taste with a bit of sweetness. Good carbonation. Overall I enjoyed this one but next time I would want to split it with someone.

3.57/5  rDev -10.1%

Tart Lychee pours a deeply hazy light amber/yellow color. Carbonation is visible but only provides a half finger head that is gone as soon as it shows up. Reddish Amber peeks from the center when held to the light

Very similar "sour" profile to La Folie and I wouldn't be surprised if the beer used in this was aged in the same oak. There's a lightly sweet fruit scent under the sour that blends with oak and a roasty cinnamon. A nice layering effect in the scent here.

A quick flash of malt up front is chased away by the La Folie sour profile of Lacto and oak. This is followed by an almost fruit juice like sweet character that makes the whole thing go down almost too easy. The roasty cinnamon is also there in the end but not very noticeable. Tart Lychee is not as sour in the glass as it is on the nose.

Lightly dry in the mouth up front but "juicy" as it goes down . Decent carb, could have used a bit more though.

Decent but for the price, I could get a 750 of Lindemann's Cuvee Renee for a much stronger sour profile. Still, incredibly drinkable and tasty. An alright showing from Fort Collins, something about this just keeps beckoning for sips and I'll buy another if only for that effect.

3.88/5  rDev -2.3%

22oz bottle into a tulip. Pours a hazy pale yellow w/ a 1-finger white head, thin film of lacing.

Aroma is tart up front, and that's about it. Just a sour slightly acidic aroma, hint of damp moldy basement.

Taste is brightly tart as well, reminiscent of a watered-down Sanctification. Sharp, crisp, refreshing. No hint of cinnamon. Dryness from the oak, a hint of crushed aspirin.

Mouthfeel is crisp and very dry.

Overall a good wild ale but I was hoping for more. Lacks the refinement of the top tier in the style.

3.95/5  rDev -0.5%

Received a bottle of this as an extra in a trade. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a nice hazy orange golden hue with a big, creamy two finger head that faded to leave a nice creamy white blanket and solid lacing.

S - This really, really has to warm up in order to get the cinnamon aromas. Get nice La Folia style sourness that is pleasant, getting NO lychee though but the cinnamon is quite nice and different.

T - Interesting. Not really quite as sour as I like from these guys, with maybe some slight sweetness from the lychee. There is an odd flavour that must be the lychee. Not bad. The end note with cinnamon was pleasant, surprisingly so.

M - Mouthfeel is a bit thin/flat for my liking. A bit too lowly carbonated.

O - Overall this was a good beer but like other Lips beers the recipe doesnt quite translate over for me. Glad to try this though.

4.08/5  rDev +2.8%

22 ounce bottle. Served in a Unibroue tulip, the beer pours a hazy golden/orange color with about an inch off-white head. Head retention is decent, and there's a good amount of lacing left on the glass. The aroma seems light to me, it smells like sweet and tart fruit and some oak. But it is a nice smelling brew. I couldn't tell you what a lychee smells like anyway, so I have no idea if the fruity aroma is from the lychee or not (but I assume that's what it is). Luckily the flavor is stronger in comparison to the aroma. It tastes like tart and sweet fruit (it kinda tastes citrusy and like a strawberry too, but I guess it's lychee), and a little bit of cinnamon. I'm liking the taste of this brew more and more the longer I drink it! Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's well carbonated and quite refreshing. It's a bit slick, too. Overall I think it's a good brew. At $9.99 a bottle, I'd buy this one again in the future.

3.18/5  rDev -19.9%

I wanted to try this, but not so badly that I was ready to pay $9 or so for it. Then, I got to try this at the Lost Abbey tasting last night. Thanks, Jamie!

Light yellow/orange with a dense, white head that falls off to a ring rather quickly. The nose is sugary, mildly tart with a nice lychee aroma. Sourness is minimal, and this smells dusty, Bretty and mildly melony. The palate opens with melon sweetness, sweet and ripe lychees and floral notes. Stale pale base malt is noticeable. Light in body, moderately carbonated, a little too much IMO. Drying, clean finish. Decent.

3.03/5  rDev -23.7%

Poured a nice, hazy orange. Very little head.

Smells very faintly of a musty basement, with just a touch of sweetness

Taste kinda let me down. The taste is of a grapefruit? soda. I'm sort of confused by this flavor. Wild Ale is something I NEVER would've guessed for the style. It is more like a fruit beer gone wrong.

Mouthfeel is medium to light bodied.

This beer was ok....I don't think I'll feel the need to revisit this one again.

3.83/5  rDev -3.5%

Enjoyed on-tap @ The Bridge Tap House & Wine Bar in St. Louis, MO for $6.50. Tapped from a Yellow/Red "L.O.F. Surf Board" Tap Handle into a 12oz Pint Glass.

Aroma- A subtle kriek aroma passes off as this one. A good amount of cherries and a background spice hits the nose as well.

Appearance- Received with a .5 finger head that dies soon afterwards. Has a cloudy, golden colored body and leaves thick lacing behind afterwards.

Flavor- Sweet, malty, and a great deal of musk and age find its way in here even though this is a fresh keg of it. Not as much funk and sour attributes as I would like. Cherries and other attributes didn't come up in here because of how sweet it was.

Mouthfeel- Light-Medium Bodied, Medium Carbonation, Refreshing, and has a lemon/musky finish on the palate.

Overall Impression- While picking up a 22oz bottle of this a few weeks back, I'm excited to see what this one does in a year or two. Very subtle this time around and could have had more flavors as well. As of now, this is a PERFECT summer/fruit beer thats refreshing and can easily be shared with your spouse. In a few years, this may be a different story...

3.6/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours a hazy darker straw color with a very thin white head that recedes leaving minimal spotty lacing.

Aromas begin quite tart with some noticeable fruit character. I couldn't say for sure that it smells like lychees but it comes across as green apple and lemon. As it warms I am able to pick out the cinnamon more and more.

The tastes follow the nose with a substantial amount of lacto, fruity tartness and sour fruit flavors, must be the lychees again. The oak is there, mainly in a tannic form. Decent amount of brett funk and dryness. Cinnamon spice lingers into the finish. As it warms the overall flavor profile becomes a tad too sweet, like sweet tart candies.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied for the style with medium carbonation. Finish is too sweet overall and could use a bump from the oak and tartness to create a more desired, dry finish.

Overall I am starting to become disenchanted with these Lips of Faith series beers as they continue to get me excited because the recipes sound amazing, but continue to be lack-luster. Won't be seeking this out again anytime soon.

The spiritual continuation of beers like Eric's Ale, Transatlantique Kriek, La Folie, and La Terroir. I guess it's even using the same base beer internally known as "Felix." Mmmkay...
Pale orange color. Clearly unfiltered as there's a fair amount of yeast in the bottle and suspended within the beer itself. Head forms up-front, but fades to a tiny thin white layer pretty quickly.
The nose is citric and sour, but no astringent or off notes.
The flavor follows a similar path. The idea of adding something "exotic" like lychee probably sounds more unusual than it is. It adds a little bit of a mild orange-like flavor and probably ferments to blend the citric and green apple notes together, but it isn't too crazy. That said, it IS good. Not as sour or dynamic as some others, but still tasty. A little bit of a pepper note creeps in, but it's really mild. With this it might be out of place, so that isn't a bad thing. As it warms I got a hint of cinnamon, which is funny because it appears that there actually is a little cinnamon added to the beer. I had no idea before looking at the BA page.
A good one from NB. Not quite as good as some of their others (which are among the best sours from the US) but still quite good...and a hair cheaper, too.
Good stuff, and nearly a worthy successor (or continuation) to some of those others.

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a New Belgium globe glass

Pours a hazy gold with a two finger clean white head. Citrus, grass, and earthy funk on the nose. Opens with a the taste of sweet flora and bread immediately moves to a rush of citrus-dominated sour transitions to earthy funk and then finishes dry with a return to citrus sourness, with an appearance of cinnamon spiceness. Medium-bodied with a slick, silky mouthfeel. A fairly accessible sour for the uninitiated. I would have appreciated a bit more funk, however the sweetness and sourness are as well-balanced as advertised.

3.8/5  rDev -4.3%

New Belgium Tart Lychee

New Belgium Lips of Faith Tart Lychee. 56% ale aged in oak. 44% ale brewed with lychee and cinnamon. Alc 7.5% ABV.

Thoroughly clouded pale amber/ straw, under milk white foam.

Aromatics: heavy sour, crazy funk, with plenty of wild fruit. I have to admit that I'm not that familiar with lychee, in any of it's incarnations. Cinnamon is here, laying below the fruit and the funk.

Taste: Boomshakalakka! Big, fat blast of sour/wild/funk, with fruit below, among the wood, and sweetness slipping in. It continues like this in a fabulous fandango. Tart and sweet, sour and fruit, cha cha cha. Little bit of bitterness. lots of malt and yeast. Very refreshing and flavorful.

Full-bodied, long, bitter/sour/sweet finish, a unique and complex creation. On the other hand, I can't say how many of these I could enjoy without being exhausted from the effort or needing some diversion from the experience. Oak meets fruit and spice. I like it…to a point.

Let's see what they say about it: "To sweet and sour! In celebration of one of the greatest combinations ever, lychee fruit brings tropical sweetness to the party, hosted by felix, our golden wood-aged sour beer. . Cinnamon sticks were invited to spice things up and so are you! Get in on the tasty revelry that is tart lychee!"

They've got to get a new writer on these things.

4.1/5  rDev +3.3%

22oz bottle poured into my Allagash glass. It poured a bright golden color with a thin but frothy head covering the top. It left some good lacing on the glass as I drank it as well.

The aroma is very tart and sour. I get a lot of green apple and sour lemon flavors to it. It definitely has a strong fruit presence that I assume is the lychee, but I can't say I know what lychee smells like though. It's a little acidic, but not too bad. The sour lychee fruit was a little strange at first, but I'm really starting to like it the more I get into it.

The taste also has a strong sour fruit flavor throughout. Again, green apple and sour lemon are both things that come to mind as I'm drinking it. The finish is a little acidic, but the fruit helps cut through it. The sourness lingers pretty well.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied for the style with carbonation being above average. Overall, it was a very interesting and pretty good beer. It was a little strange at first as the sour lychee flavors were very strong and unique. The more I got into it though the more I liked it. I really liked that it had a very bold sourness to it without becoming overly acidic or one dimensional. I definitely appreciated the uniqueness of it as well. Very enjoyable beer overall.

4.17/5  rDev +5%

Poured from bomber into CBS snifter. Served chilled...

A) Light copper with haze. A finger of foam was present but quickly dissipated to a collar. A bit of lacing also noted.

S) Tart... Indeed. Lychee fruit... I'll take their word for it. I got a peach melba frozen yogurt aroma. Strange, but it's what I got. I have to say, I enjoyed the nose on this brew.

T) I really liked the twang here. Not too tart or sour four my tastes at all. Definitely a little woody, lightly spiced, and fruity, which I assume was the lychee. Really nice aftertaste.

M) Medium body with mild carbonation. Really quite nice. The tartness gets you smacking those gums, but it also makes you crave another sip.

O) This was perfect for a warm summer day. Highly enjoyable, and I am glad to recommend. Cheers...

4.38/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Cloudy, golden-yellow with a fluffy, white head that builds and fades quickly. No lace or retention.

S: Slightly funky & fruity. If you give it enough time, you can smell the cinnamon.

T: Tart, funky, fruity, bright, effervescent, refreshing, and finally...delicious!

M: Incredible stuff. Perfect carbonation. I could drink this all summer.

O: Fresh, crisp, clean. A great brunch beer that serves as a great alternative to a mimosa or something of that nature.

3.5/5  rDev -11.8%

Disclaimer – I have never eaten a lychee, which means I do not know what to expect from this, and I have no point of reference regarding whether or not the beer tastes like lychee.

This was a cloudy yellow. When I first poured it into a glass, it smelled like champagne. This faded and it was slightly sweet and sour. I could taste the booze and almost a faint pine taste. It tasted fruity, but because I have never had a lychee I am not certain if it tasted like lychee. However, there was a distinct taste in there that I have never tasted in other beers, which I presume may have been lychee. I definitely picked up on the cinnamon. It is tart, but not to the extent of a good sour beer.

Other details: There was lots of sediment in the bottle. It was nicely carbonated. It is different than anything I have had, and because of that, I recommend others try it. Although this may not be my favorite beer, it challenged me. I like that. I respect this strange brew.

I’ll have another.

4.17/5  rDev +5%

Beer served in a New Belgium stemmed glass because I'm not an idiot. I know how to drink a beer. Beer is yellow and hazy with a white head, some lacing, moderate carbonation, nice retention.

Aroma is fruity, nice.

Beer is light and fruity with only a hint of tartness on the finish. This fruit would not have done well in a beer with high bitterness so I am really enjoying it. The fruit is sort of pineapple but lighter in flavor, a very nice little beer.

3.8/5  rDev -4.3%

A: poured a pale golden yellow in color with a thin head that left a little lacing sticking to the glass.

S: there was lots of bready character upfront on the nose with lots of fruit notes coming through and spices were noticeable as well.

T: lots of fruit flavor on the first sip that I am assuming was lychee alongside grain and spice accents.

M: the brew was light to medium in body with a low amount of carbonation which had a fruity, bready, mild spice, and mild tart finish.

O: overall it was an interesting beer and was glad to have tried. I would have more for sure.

4.08/5  rDev +2.8%

Tried at Mckay's Richland with the New Belgium Rep. 12 oz schooner on 70/30 nitro mix.

Appearance: cloudy orange gold, due to the carapils malt & yeast
Smell: tart and fruity with a touch of spice
Taste: melon and citrus, both sour tart yet sweet, Bready tastes with some cinnamon.
Mouthfeel: full and creamy
Overall: good but not great, better warm a littler than ice cold. A slight clash in taste between the melon and citrus for me.

3.12/5  rDev -21.4%

New Belgium Tart Lychee

Appearance: The first sour ale this reviewer has experienced pours a murky yellow-orange that looks a bit like orange juice or a mimosa. It tops off with one finger of a bubbly, yet smooth crust of yellow-white head that quickly disappears. Carbonation is evident, though not incredibly active. Overall, Tart Lychee is a pretty, yet pretty average looking beer.

Smell: True to its name and categorization, the beer smells tart and sour, not unlike a very potent glass of orange juice, or perhaps a grapefruit/raspberry/orange juice mixture. There is also a strong suggestion of a wine-like grapiness in the nose. The scent is very interesting to this wild ale virgin.

Taste: Not as sour as expected, but that is certainly not a bad attribute (or lack thereof). The white grape flavors really come out more in the mouth, as do the champagne/mimosa notes. The tartness is very comparable to a ripe raspberry without the sweetness that comes with that fruit. There is a certain yeastiness to it as well (perhaps a saison yeast would have fit this better?), but very little to no malt to speak of, which is unfortunate as a bit of sweetness from a light malt would really put this one over the top. Also disappointing is the complete lack of cinnamon anywhere on the palate, which causes one to call false advertisement. It finishes relatively dry, and does not provide the puckering, mouthwatering sensation that one usually associates with sour/tart flavors. This dryness makes for a very refreshing drink, again, much like a mimosa.

Mouthfeel: The yeast gives the beverage the bite that one expects, which really complements the moderate carbonation and adds to the refreshing characteristic. It is a bit thin and watery on the lips, but, again, this only makes it more refreshing and easier to drink; still, a bit more body might help Tart Lychee immensely.

Overall: While an extremely refreshing beverage, Tart Lychee has very few characteristics of a beer. For all this reviewer knows one could be drinking a wine and never know. Still, the taste and smell were interesting and quite tasty, yet one cannot help but find the beer wanting…something, something more. It is definitely not bad, but incredibly average. Perhaps a different sour ale will convert this reviewer, but so far as this the style has yet to sell me. 12.5/20

4.17/5  rDev +5%

A - A hazy yellow beer. Not really the prettiest thing out there, but inoffensive.

S - Sour fruits, some spices going on but just fruity all the way through

T - The first sip was while the beer was pretty cold, but the first thing that hits you is the sour fruits in this ale. It is however mild, and not overpowering. The malts and a bready/grainy quality floats over the tongue midway and there is the spice from the cinnamon on the finish. The lingering spices stick around a bit, but they aren't too overdone. As the beer warms, more of the sourness comes through and a slightly acidic quality comes out. Never overdone though, and easy to drink.

M - medium bodied to thin with good carbonation through.

O - a tasty, and good entry sour to those that may be intimidated by the style or just new to sours in general. I highly recommend it.

4.02/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours out slightly hazy, a nice golden hue. No real head.

Sour fruit with oak start the smell. Sweet and pale malts follow, with just a hint of cinnamon at the finish. Looking forward to my first sip!

Sour fruit and bready yeast start this beer off. I assume the fruit is lychee. It reminds me of dry sour apple. Pale malts come in around the middle with a dry oak and slightly sour finish. Couldn't find the cinnamon I smelled though. Goes down very well.

Very easy to drink sour. I'd recommend it as an intro beer or one for seasoned sour beer fans. A well balanced offering from New Belgium.

3.68/5  rDev -7.3%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a tulip glass, unknown bottled date, I love a sour beer so I'm excited to try this wild ale. This pours a hazy yellowish brown color with a short lived off white color which doesn't leave any type of lacing. The smells are of a little tartness, some cinnamon. The taste isn't as sour as I was hoping, a little brett, some cranberry juice, cinnamon, not bad though, just not quite what I was expecting.

Lips Of Faith - Tart Lychee from New Belgium Brewing