Hoptober Golden Ale | New Belgium Brewing

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review

Hoptober Golden AleHoptober Golden Ale

Added by Riccymon on 08-20-2009

firstprev| 426-450 | 451-475 | 476-500  | next → last
Reviews: 496 | Ratings: 957
4.27/5  rDev +11.5%

Holy crap! This is kinda what I said after the first sip of this creamy elixr of the heavens.

Poured into 20oz glass, I could only empty 3/4 of the bottle before the rich creamy head spilled over the rim. It then stayed there until I couldn't take it any longer and waded past it. The nase is hit with strong citrus, mostly grapefruit, without losing the hoppy aroma. The taste was exactly what it should be, creamy, smooth, and citrusy.

After the second bottle I knew for sure.
This just earned a spot on my favorite list. Superb!

3.51/5  rDev -8.4%

There are four of these in the fall 12-pack, so I was looking forward to my first NB Hoptober ever—and I have to say I'm underwhelmed. NB calls Hoptober a "golden ale" and it is that, almost wheat-ale in color (a slightly cloudy straw that cleared up in a few minutes). On the nose, I get citrus, apricot and dish soap; as it warmed, I got hints of black pepper. Taste is malt liquor, watered down but hopped up; nothing really stands out, nothing really changes. It's a perfectly serviceable, drinkable quaff, and after several I wouldn't much care—but it's not a lot more than that.

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

Best by date is Feb 26, 2010. Poured from a bottle into a DFH Signature Glass. Thin, but bright head, fairly tight, fades into almost nothing quickly. Minimal lacing. Nice clear golden color.

Bottle states 40 IBU, and lists 4 hops: Centennial, Cascade, Sterling and Glacier. These typically range in alpha index from between 5 and 12%, NB did a fine job of mixing these four to get a hop level that's more aroma than bittering, and while that's accented a very drinkable brew, it may turn away non-hop fans before they give this beer a chance.

Great citrus-piney aroma hits you hard first, not severe hops, but a good amount of hop smell, which later blends with the taste: grassy, malty, always with a touch of grapefruit and pine.

Medium carbonation leads to a fair level of drinkability, I think it would pair nicely with steak, or pasta. Bought a six-pack and will probably reinvest in this. Definitely a star in the NB lineup.

For those who don't really like a lot of hops, at least give this one a chance through roughly a third of a bottle or glass and then make a decision. Can't wait to have this one on tap.

4.37/5  rDev +14.1%

Apperance
New Belgium's Hoptober Golden Ale Pours into a thin wall Bass pint glass with a crystalline light pumpkin color and plentiful airy off white head. Head disipates as I write to a thinner and denser layer, leaving significant lace.

Aroma
First notes of floral and piney hops develope with the addition of bready malt, but hops still dominate.

Taste
Strong hop impression in both flavor and bittering. The grassier hop elements come to the foreground, while biscuit malt lurks behind.

Mouthfeel
There is more body to this beer than its color, clarity, and aroma might lead you to guess. The carbonation is just right, doesn't mask any of the flavors.

Drinkability
After a half a pint, the beer tastes better than ever. The opening of each sip is smooth biscuity sweetness. Then the tag team of hops and carbonation bring the beer back into balncce before the hops charge on alone and leave with your mouth prepped for the next round.

4.24/5  rDev +10.7%

A - Looks very nice, clear, deep golden color with a clean white head. The head stays until the end of the beer, at least it did for me.

S - I loved the nose on this beer. It smelled strongly of citrus and smelled very appealing.

T - The overpowering citrus character of the nose is evident, but not overpowering in the taste. It also has some grassiness and floral notes.

M - It is creamy mouthfeel, not very heavy carbonation

O - I really enjoyed this beer, it is unlike any other fall seasonal that I have had. It is light and crisp with very nice citrusy flavors. I wouldn't necessarily have this on a colder fall day, but it is pleasant when the weather is still warmish.

3.72/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pour leaves a couple inches of foam, lace is good. Color is a little bit darker than smell suggests. Hints of citrus, touch of floral. Very, very hoppy taste. Extremely creamy mouthfeel. Definitely agree this is more like an APA. Pretty powerful for a New Belgium. One of the better seasonal efforts by NB.

4.03/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a New Belgium globe glass.

V: Clear rich golden body, one finger of cream colored head that leaves fine lacing. Lacing persists throughout the tasting session.

A: Piney, citrusy hops at the forefront. As the beer warms, a delicate floral aroma creeps in.

T: Hop bitterness dominates the palate at first. Continuing to sip reveals rye and biscuity malt up front which fades to a crisp resinous hop finish. Very good balance.

M: Medium body, prickly carbonation. Delightful.

D: If not for the medium body, I could drink this beer all day! It's a bit strong and heavy to be a true session beer, but I would gladly split a 6-pack with a friend.

4.09/5  rDev +6.8%

This is a very good blond. Nice color, nice aroma , and nice flavor. More of a warm weather beer than what you expect for the fall but good to sit back with and watch a game. Best of the New Belgiums, in my opinion. Drinking from the bottle and poured it in a glass. Skimpy on the hops but overall a nice and smooth palate. I have to put this up as one of my favorite; however I am patial to blonds.

3.41/5  rDev -11%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Nice but fairly standard dark gold or amber, fairly clear. Some bone white bubbles hang on for a long time, though the main head dissipates fairly rapidly. Slightly fruity, spicy aroma, understated. Hop forward aroma but not intense. Mild hop forward flavor, cant tell what kind. Good malt character, but not intense. Dry finish with some hop bitterness.

3.4/5  rDev -11.2%

A:head retention is fair with a rocky white head,pours golden clear, nice thick white lacing on glass,

S:smell is a very pleasant clean pine like smell, with the hop notes calling you to have a sip

T:Hops are definitely present without being overly strong, a shafe of maltyness comes through ath the finish. Very refreshing. The taste definitely matches the smell

M: Medium body with slight carbination, a very slight hop aftertaste that finishes to the dry side

D: A geat seasonal beer for sitting on the porch watching the harvest moon rise. Two or three of this beer at a setting would be plenty. I would be this beer again. Toured the brewery in August and would recommend the tour, very interactive and casual.

4.3/5  rDev +12.3%

i am a fan of all oktoberferst style or spin offs so i had to try this one. It pour smooth golden into my glass and had a great malt smell with hop notes following right after. It is good with food or by itself. Just one more great beer put out by the awesome New Belgium brewing co.

2.76/5  rDev -27.9%

It has the hops. There's no doubt about that. Unfortunately, that's about all it has. There is definitely a lot missing from this beer in the flavor department. The aroma is inviting. It has the aroma of a typical (good) IPA--plenty of pine and citrus filling the nose. The initial hop bite is pleasant, but is not backed up by any appreciable flavor. The hops linger on the tongue to give it a decent finish. But, again, it seems like the middle is completely missing--like a nice glass of water with 40 IBUs.

I am quite disappointed because NB is one of my favorite breweries--especially for the Belgian styles. I was hoping for something really flavorful and delicious. I wasn't sure what to expect. I had it in my mind that it might be a little bit like Duvel--which is delicious. But, unfortunately, this beer misses the mark. Sorry, NB! I'll still buy plenty of Abbey, Trippel, and 1554, but I won't be picking up this one again.

4.12/5  rDev +7.6%

I 100% agree with jayhawk73, he took every word right from my mouth, especially the part about tasting and feeling like an IPA.

...except I pump this one up to an A-.

IMO, if you don't mind an IPA inspired beer, this would be the best bang for the buck.

Thanks guys, keep up the good work.

New Belgium does it again!

4.8/5  rDev +25.3%

This is my ideal hot/mild weather beer. The bear looks amazing in a glass, its golden and clear with a good thick long lasting head. The aroma is a nice bouquet of hop, grassy and citrus. The taste, to quote The Lonely Island "Jizzed in my pants". Yeah its really that good, starts with wonderful blend of hop and stays all the way through. Good balance of malt and bitter. A wonderful vessel for hop flavor.

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured into a 12 oz. Jimi Hendrix glass that my sister bought me for my birthday last year. Bottle purchased from the liquor store I work at on 7-28-2010.

This is my first review on BA! I'm so excited to finally contribute some of my thoughts to this wonderful community.

A: Coppery orange-gold, with a white/yellow head with tiny bubbles in quickly dissipating but pleasing lacing

S: Aromas of soft pine, slightly resiny with hints of lemon and orange citrus, a mild floral note that brings the citrus and pine together well in my nostrils

T: Predominantly pine, notes of resin with a mild lemon citrus, the floral note I smelled comes in nicely in the finish, very crisp, medium malty aftertaste keeps me wanting more

M: Medium malt body, a mild thickness that sticks to the palate for just the right amount of time, the crispness/effervescence is prominent in the mouth feel.

D: This golden ale is enjoyable for its crisp refreshing quality. The balance tips in favor of hops throughout the drinking of this brew, and the pine from those hops makes this beer definitely fall-appropriate. I enjoyed drinking it, and will drink it again as the fall season approaches and my desire for a mild pine flavor and excellent crisp mouth feel grows with the season change. Good stuff.

4.07/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured into a pint glass. Creamy head with tons of soap bubble lacing. Really pretty light golden color that smells strongly of hops and fruit. Not an overpowering sweet malty smell that comes from some seasonals of this style.

Taste follows in lockstep with the aroma - lots of hops up front with crisp fruity overtones. Finish is somewhat oily and leaves me with a sensation of dry mouth.

Oily mouthfeel is kind of off-putting. My only knock on this beer's drinkability is the hoppy oiliness that would keep me from enjoying more than one at a stretch.

Otherwise...pleasantly surprised with the contrast this beer poses to other fall seasonals.

3.46/5  rDev -9.7%

Looks great in a glass. HOPtober indeed. light citrus taste with some tangy spices that compliment the season. Not especially great smelling or looking but compensates with taste.
I bought this because 12 packs were on sale for $8 which is a hell of a deal for this beer. Definitely look forward to more next fall.

3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

So i am sitting at home drinking one, not a bad beer. I used to like fat tire back in the day, but i was over it fast. then one day i was up in Oregon working and i tasted 1554 out the tap. so i decided to give new Belgium again. 1554 by far the best they have. but i tell you what hotober is not a bad beer at all. it has a very light fresh hops taste with citusy ending.

TRY IT!

3.22/5  rDev -15.9%

A: Beautiful straw yellow with solid head retention
S: Hoppy smell of citrus, almost orange.
T: Citrus hop taste with not alot of carbonation bite. I feel they were going for a smooth drinkable version of an APA and the combinations of hops is very tasty
M: Creamy light carbonation but solid.

D: This is a solid beer however not what I was expecting. I was thinking hoppy Octoberfest and I feel this is more like a lighter APA. I should have known this since the beer is an ale and not a lager. This is a nice fruity ale and at 6% and 40IBU will not not kill you to drink a few.

4.25/5  rDev +11%

A very tasty blonde; super silky mouthfeel and excellent hopping converge in New Belgium's Hoptober Golden Ale. I would love to get a number for the IBUs on this one. Also, I would love to see this on draught, it may lose something coming from the bottle; nonetheless, a perfect beer for the end of summer and start of autumn.

4.03/5  rDev +5.2%

This is my first review here at BA, so I hope that I am doing this right.

Chilled bottle to a room temp pint glass.

A: Pours with a nice head, not heavy and quick to evaporate with a small amount of lacing staying around long after the head is gone. It has a golden body, as one should expect, but could easily be mistaken for a cheap pilsner at first glance.

S: Strong citrus that is a little misleading. There are some other subtle aroma's that I cannot place.

T: This is where this really shines, the hops are stronger than I was expecting, but not overbearing. There is a bit of the citrus hinted at in the smell, but not as much as would be expected. There is more bite than most Golden Ales I have tried, but this was a good thing.

M: Smooth, light.

D: Highly drinkable, apv is not enough to make this something that couldn't be enjoyed over multiple pints with good company and a nice cigar.

firstprev| 426-450 | 451-475 | 476-500  | next → last