Hoptober Golden Ale - New Belgium Brewing

Colorado, United States

American Blonde Ale |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Riccymon on 08-20-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hoptober Golden Ale Alström Bros
firstprev| 426-450 | 451-475 | 476-500  | next → last
2.76/5  rDev -28.5%

It has the hops. There's no doubt about that. Unfortunately, that's about all it has. There is definitely a lot missing from this beer in the flavor department. The aroma is inviting. It has the aroma of a typical (good) IPA--plenty of pine and citrus filling the nose. The initial hop bite is pleasant, but is not backed up by any appreciable flavor. The hops linger on the tongue to give it a decent finish. But, again, it seems like the middle is completely missing--like a nice glass of water with 40 IBUs.

I am quite disappointed because NB is one of my favorite breweries--especially for the Belgian styles. I was hoping for something really flavorful and delicious. I wasn't sure what to expect. I had it in my mind that it might be a little bit like Duvel--which is delicious. But, unfortunately, this beer misses the mark. Sorry, NB! I'll still buy plenty of Abbey, Trippel, and 1554, but I won't be picking up this one again. (936 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +6.7%

I 100% agree with jayhawk73, he took every word right from my mouth, especially the part about tasting and feeling like an IPA.

...except I pump this one up to an A-.

IMO, if you don't mind an IPA inspired beer, this would be the best bang for the buck.

Thanks guys, keep up the good work.

New Belgium does it again! (323 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +24.4%

This is my ideal hot/mild weather beer. The bear looks amazing in a glass, its golden and clear with a good thick long lasting head. The aroma is a nice bouquet of hop, grassy and citrus. The taste, to quote The Lonely Island "Jizzed in my pants". Yeah its really that good, starts with wonderful blend of hop and stays all the way through. Good balance of malt and bitter. A wonderful vessel for hop flavor. (408 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured into a 12 oz. Jimi Hendrix glass that my sister bought me for my birthday last year. Bottle purchased from the liquor store I work at on 7-28-2010.

This is my first review on BA! I'm so excited to finally contribute some of my thoughts to this wonderful community.

A: Coppery orange-gold, with a white/yellow head with tiny bubbles in quickly dissipating but pleasing lacing

S: Aromas of soft pine, slightly resiny with hints of lemon and orange citrus, a mild floral note that brings the citrus and pine together well in my nostrils

T: Predominantly pine, notes of resin with a mild lemon citrus, the floral note I smelled comes in nicely in the finish, very crisp, medium malty aftertaste keeps me wanting more

M: Medium malt body, a mild thickness that sticks to the palate for just the right amount of time, the crispness/effervescence is prominent in the mouth feel.

D: This golden ale is enjoyable for its crisp refreshing quality. The balance tips in favor of hops throughout the drinking of this brew, and the pine from those hops makes this beer definitely fall-appropriate. I enjoyed drinking it, and will drink it again as the fall season approaches and my desire for a mild pine flavor and excellent crisp mouth feel grows with the season change. Good stuff. (1,284 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured into a pint glass. Creamy head with tons of soap bubble lacing. Really pretty light golden color that smells strongly of hops and fruit. Not an overpowering sweet malty smell that comes from some seasonals of this style.

Taste follows in lockstep with the aroma - lots of hops up front with crisp fruity overtones. Finish is somewhat oily and leaves me with a sensation of dry mouth.

Oily mouthfeel is kind of off-putting. My only knock on this beer's drinkability is the hoppy oiliness that would keep me from enjoying more than one at a stretch.

Otherwise...pleasantly surprised with the contrast this beer poses to other fall seasonals. (649 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -10.4%

Looks great in a glass. HOPtober indeed. light citrus taste with some tangy spices that compliment the season. Not especially great smelling or looking but compensates with taste.
I bought this because 12 packs were on sale for $8 which is a hell of a deal for this beer. Definitely look forward to more next fall. (314 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

So i am sitting at home drinking one, not a bad beer. I used to like fat tire back in the day, but i was over it fast. then one day i was up in Oregon working and i tasted 1554 out the tap. so i decided to give new Belgium again. 1554 by far the best they have. but i tell you what hotober is not a bad beer at all. it has a very light fresh hops taste with citusy ending.

TRY IT! (382 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -16.6%

A: Beautiful straw yellow with solid head retention
S: Hoppy smell of citrus, almost orange.
T: Citrus hop taste with not alot of carbonation bite. I feel they were going for a smooth drinkable version of an APA and the combinations of hops is very tasty
M: Creamy light carbonation but solid.

D: This is a solid beer however not what I was expecting. I was thinking hoppy Octoberfest and I feel this is more like a lighter APA. I should have known this since the beer is an ale and not a lager. This is a nice fruity ale and at 6% and 40IBU will not not kill you to drink a few. (580 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

A very tasty blonde; super silky mouthfeel and excellent hopping converge in New Belgium's Hoptober Golden Ale. I would love to get a number for the IBUs on this one. Also, I would love to see this on draught, it may lose something coming from the bottle; nonetheless, a perfect beer for the end of summer and start of autumn. (326 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +4.4%

This is my first review here at BA, so I hope that I am doing this right.

Chilled bottle to a room temp pint glass.

A: Pours with a nice head, not heavy and quick to evaporate with a small amount of lacing staying around long after the head is gone. It has a golden body, as one should expect, but could easily be mistaken for a cheap pilsner at first glance.

S: Strong citrus that is a little misleading. There are some other subtle aroma's that I cannot place.

T: This is where this really shines, the hops are stronger than I was expecting, but not overbearing. There is a bit of the citrus hinted at in the smell, but not as much as would be expected. There is more bite than most Golden Ales I have tried, but this was a good thing.

M: Smooth, light.

D: Highly drinkable, apv is not enough to make this something that couldn't be enjoyed over multiple pints with good company and a nice cigar. (904 characters)

firstprev| 426-450 | 451-475 | 476-500  | next → last