Ranger - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: brownbeer on 12-30-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ranger Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,233 | Hads: 5,515

This is probably the best non - seasonal IPA ever brewed by mankind.

If you LOVE IPA's then it doesnt get much better than Ranger.

Hopslam is better but thats about it.

If you like IPA's then do the Ranger and forget about most everything else. Ranger kicks butt and after about 4 of them, you're horizontal so not much more matters anyhow.

I have to give this an A+ only because that asshole from Arizona gave it a D+ and some other no good-hoppy-beer-liking S.O.B's scored it low as well.

I would truly give this brew about a B+ only because of the low ABV%.

I thought the taste was exceptionally hopped. I'm glad this bar down the road stocks it. Its either this or the next best thing Stone IPA but the Ranger is on special right now 2 for $10.

I'm ecstatic like Mos Def!

I did not pour into chilled glass as usual cause I was drinking str8 from the double deuce.

Maybe next time?

Purchased as a 22oz from Wine and Beer Westpark in Glen Allen, VA - poured into dfh snifter

No exaggeration. I can't find anything less than perfect here.

Pours a well filtered, very nice amber orange. Head is perfect, hangs around for a while and descends nicely with great lacing. Smells like a heaping handful of hops, I'm not educated enough to know what kind really but its nice and dry. Taste follows with a perfect back bone of malty goodness while maintaining a perfect amount of bitterness. Feels perfect and remains great as it warms.

Could it be confirmation bias ala my inability to buy this beer prior to this month in Virginia.. maybe..

but overall I love this beer and this may well be my new fav IPA.

Many years ago, and having at that time a different preference in beer, I discovered New Belgium's Fat Tire on a vacation in the Mountain West. It would be nearly ten years until I again was able to sample Fat tire, and while still enjoyable, it wasn't as good as I'd remembered.

On a recent vacation in the Mt. Rushmore area, I found Fat Tire to be plentiful as well as other New Belgium offerings. As an IPA fan I naturally grabbed a six pack of Ranger and was not disappointed. I hope I don't have to wait another ten years to get Ranger again.

Absolutely one of my favorite beers!! honestly can go good with anything, but you are better off enjoying this beer by itself. it has so much too offer, such great combination between the yeast and malt's making this an outstanding brew. you can put this on my list of top beers.

4.97/5  rDev +29.8%

This is one of my favorite beers! It is in my top 3 IPAs. A very west coast type IPA, which I apparently love. Fabulous citrus and floral fragrance and flavor. Quite bitter with a strong grapefruit flavor. Not as balanced and some may prefer, definitely on the hoppy side. But for me, this is a great IPA. I recommend this to anyone who likes a hoppy IPA. Although I am tempted to keep trying new IPAs, and I do, I still manage to always pick up a 6-er of Ranger a few times a years. Long live Ranger.

4.9/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I believe that New Belgium is noted for other than IPA, but I gotta say, as an extreme hophead, they knocked it outta the veritable park with this baby. It is a great value as well and outperforms more expensive ales in terms of flavor, mouth feel, nose and delecability. I have tried hundreds of ales and this one has just the right balance of flavors for me. The fact that they use three of my very favorite hop varieties (chinook, simcoe and cascade) yields a wonderfully citrusy finish that is intense without overpowering the malty deliciousity ;) If you haven"t tried it and you can get it, get it and try it if you like IPA's at all...Enjoy!

4.88/5  rDev +27.4%

One of my favorite IPA's.

Look- Pours a beautiful slightly hazy pale orange with small streams of carbonation.

Smell- Citrusy, hoppy, and a tad sweet, not as aromatic as other IPA's though.

Taste- Wonderfully citrusy and hoppy, ever so slightly sweet that balances out the bitter perfectly. Very very tasty.

Feel- Quite light and easy to drink for the style. Many IPA's I have had are almost a meal in themselves, but not this one. Very refreshing and drinkable.

Overall- As I said earlier, it's my favorite IPA. Very easy to drink, perfectly balanced, and very tasty. I definitely recommend and I will definitely buy again.

4.87/5  rDev +27.2%

Pours a foamy light bright white head. The aroma is fantastic -- just flowing off the head. The taste is a mouthful of hops but no bitterness at all. It's a wonderful balance of goodness. Highly highly recommended. NB has mastered the IPA! Can't believe it only gets a B+.

4.83/5  rDev +26.1%

On on draft in Fort Collins, CO at New Belgium. Couldn't be any fresher.

A- Light copper color thick white head. Long lasting head. Served in NBB tulip glass.

S- Citrus-y hop characteristic.

T- Fresh, crisp and hint of grapefruit flavor.

M- Medium body, ABV 6.5 drinks like a 5.0. Good solid
summer session beer. Don't have to choke it down like some other heavily hopped IPA's.

D- This is a solid beer and will be a permanent lineup in the New Belgium "EXPLORE" series. It is not a "seasonal" as others have alluded to. This will be a very good summer session beer for the IPA lovers. I was a solid Sierra Nevada customer (how can you go wrong at $11.99 12 pack) but this beer is lighter, crisper and has way more of that west coast citrus style at half the price. Bombers under $3.50 this is a very good beer for the price.

4.82/5  rDev +25.8%

An inch thick head tops this one, medium density with slow cavitation, total evidence as I drain the glass. A mosaic of various sized bubbles pack against the glass like a football mob.
It's a vision of crystal clear, honey toned, magnifying glass permeated with fine carbonation.
Earthy and damp, with wood and bread and pine hops, a hearty whif of yeast. It smells exactly like brew day, barley, and wheat malt then the linger of hops.
Tastes almost as it smells, a wonderful bread seasoned lightly with Rosemary, the hops come through gently bitter but strong, pine sap and the tiniest touch of caramel and yeast. After it's over the hops linger indefinitely leaving me totally satisfied but eager for more.
Delightlfully smoothe and robust in flavor, this is precisely what beer should taste like! I could see a few of these disappearing fast!

4.8/5  rDev +25.3%

I picked this up at whole foods fresh off the truck.. Looking at the bottle there is a unfiltered cloudiness in the lower 1/3 of the bottle.. While pouring I noticed quite a strong floral hop aroma very impressed in this from NB.. The first taste was exceptional there was three levels of of flavor, from instant bite to a strong malt in the middle, then a bitter finish.. Overall very impressed in NB for this one they made it thier way with thier own malt and house yeast.. A

4.76/5  rDev +24.3%

Bought this one on a whim. The store I was in, ran out of the "Better IPAs". I was supprised.

New Belgium delivers a real IPA, that is well balanced, hoppy enough and has the piney, citrus taste one expects from the west coast IPAs.

The body and hop prescence work really well.

I gave a poured pint to a friend who normally dishes on New Belgium, and he thought I gave him another Nor Cal IPA like RR IPA. He changed his toon.

Pours a brownish red with a white cake head. Retentions is very good and the balance and hop prescence are spot on.

It could have more hop bouquet but that is my only knock on this well made IPA. at >6% it is a good dont drive home after a 6 pack IPA.

4.76/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

I don't know why, but I am in love with this beer. I will probably catch hell for this, but I could say that this beer is as good as O'Dell's IPA. Though the rankings don't show it. I would recommend people give this beer another shot.

4.75/5  rDev +24%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is one of my two Go-To IPA's. Avery IPA is the second. Refreshing, pours golden and clear. Half inch head in my tulip glass. Great aroma, Solid hop taste, light malt, sharp hop finish. New Belgium has been wonderfully consistent over the 7 years I have been drinking this beer. It never disappoints. And my friends that don't like hoppy beers leave it alone, so I get to drink most of them. Mission accomplished.

4.72/5  rDev +23.2%

Very nice beer from our friends at new Belgium. 70 ibu's but you don't get that tipical hop hit that you would expect. Don't get me wrong, I quite enjoy this brew and the fact that new Belgium is doing something new is awsome. I think more and moe breweries need to start doing more hoppy, ipa high alcohol beers. Bang for your buck I say.

4.72/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

A. Average poor ½ inch yellow head dissipates to lacey film around the glass. Little carbonation. Golden in color.
S. Hops, citrus, pine, lemon grass
T. Immediate wall of pine and hops. Same as smell with a light honey taste.
M. Chalky, watery, and dry.
O. Very good. I’m impressed. Recommend to IPA drinkers. It’s like NB Rampant’s little brother Less than average buzz for 6.5%.

4.71/5  rDev +23%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I can’t say enough how much I love New Belgium. Although my favorite of this brewery has to go to Rampant, I must say that Ranger is the little brother of the Imperial counterpart. I find every aspect of this beer to be smooth, suave, drinkable and pleasant. Without saying more on this topic, I’ll dive right into the review of each part of the beer.

Appearance: The appearance is a light golden color that reflects the warm sunlight that grew the hops that went into this great beer. The head comes in full and thick with a vigorous pour, but soon settles down to a snow-kissed cap that paints a beautiful fine array of lacing on your glass. But be sure to pour this one instead of drinking from the bottle. The manufacturer can only do so much to ensure that you enjoy every aspect of this beer so you will miss out on some characteristics if you don’t pour it into a worthy glass.

Smell: I get an array of aromas when I take a deep smell of this great beer. I get a malty-cracker and toasty smell that very quickly subsides into a floral and herbal tone with noticeable bubblegum, tropical fruits like mango, and then some citrusy apricot. The smell is excellent and it is one that you really should try before taking a sip.

Taste: The taste is excellent. I get the medium-bodied maltiness which is perfect because then it gives way to the carbonation that explodes on your tongue and is accompanied by a pleasant cut of alcohol which is a respectable 6.5% ABV and 70 IBUs. The hops are delicate but present and the alcohol content is fine-tuned, but noticeable. If you were to change anything about this beer than it would fall apart, I think. This beer is so drinkable and I find it to be one of my favorite ‘go-to’ beers that are available. What is surprising is that after two of these, the alcohol really sneaks up on you so be vigilant while you toss back a few of these classic IPAs by New Belgium.

Feel: The feel is smooth and silky and begs you to take another gulp. The carbonation is pleasantly delayed and gives way to a nice zingy zest that comes from the carbonation playing with the citrus tones. The very last thing that I feel is a resin-like coating on the tongue that lingers every so pleasantly even after the carbonation and flavors have dissipated.

Overall: Overall this beer is great. I think that it has a complex flavor and a well-timed release of each component of its flavor and mouthfeel. Once again, the aroma and taste are excellent and the complexity of this beer compensates for the slightly low end ABV. I would pour through a few of these easily and I am confident that you will too.

4.7/5  rDev +22.7%

After an unimpressive experience with Hop Stoopid last night, I am giving this one a closer look.

Poured into an oversized wine glass.
Simple curtain of head with thin but sticky retention.
Pristine appearance in the glass. A glowing amber-orange with feisty carbonation like a good champagne.
Smell is immediate on the pour. Juicy citrus notes that scream loudly of pineapple and, of course, pine.
When I crave IPA, this is exactly what I look for. Dry, fruity bitterness that lacks the syrupy, oily mouthfeel so prevalent in the California style. A tad flat on the carbonation for my tastes, but no dealbreaker.
I am not a huge New Belgium fan but this is worlds away from their other offerings. Very well done, Colorado.

4.7/5  rDev +22.7%

I had started a thread a few weeks ago asking about grapefruit-y IPAs after having FFF Arctic Panzer Wolf...amazingly I don't think Ranger came up in that thread, but this is a great grapefruit-y IPA.

Had on-tap, poured with a pretty good head.

The smell is far less of grapefruit than the taste; some grapefruit and other citrus, alot of pine, and a little bit of maltiness.

The taste, however, is mostly grapefruit, with some orange and other citrus. At the same time its not overly bitter. There's enough of a malt backing to give some balance, but theres no mistaking that this is a solid IPA.

Mouth feel is fantastic: given the solid hop profile I expected it to have more sharpness, but its more smooth than expected.

Only wish I had ordered it earlier in the evening so I could keep going back. Luckily its readily available in stores so I'll be sure to be going back

4.68/5  rDev +22.2%

Pour: Clean, smooth, pours a, golden highlighted, Amber, almost coppery. Head was nearly non-existent, and broke apart rather quickly

Nose: i am detecting two to possibly three hops. a slight almost malt residue blocks the first part, i get 'pollen' in middle and more 'flower' at the end, should such a thing be possible.

Mouth: a little soapy/bitter and the beginning, lively hops across the tongue and while the bubbles are at a minimum by design the few are move uninterrupted across the tongue and act as the on lingerance to the finish. Light, hopy, delightful. i see this beer as something you try on way to the more challenging and harsh IPA's and imperials. Personally, i could drink this everyday.

This beer makes the fourth offering from this brewery's line i have tried. this has revealed a theme to me of the fort collins brewery: Clean finishes. what's left to linger is so .... little. i think them some of the best at this, actually. Also, it does make me see the need for, well, he exact opposite. I'll cite the extreme Sour Blemish genre for contrast. However, as a beer nerd i think the its the balance and the choice that make it fun.

4.67/5  rDev +21.9%

The first time I tried this brew it was on tap at a metal concert I went to last year and it was like the freaking nectar of the gods. So why did it take me nearly 10 months to try it again?

Appearance: Pours a clear whiskey shade of amber with a massive pillow of soft milky white foam that leaves some hellish lacing.

Smell: Pure grapefruit with a double shot of caramel malt that has me almost hyperventilating.

Taste: Bitter, sweet, then viciously bitter again, in such and incredible way as to rip my lips off and make my head spin.

Mouthfeel: A little on the light side but...

Overall: A great beer. This has reached my top 10 without a doubt.

4.65/5  rDev +21.4%

A - Clear tangerine brew with a two finger fluffy white head. Tons of good lookin' lace sticks to the glass, and head retention is pretty dang good. The lace on this one is so abundant and crusty that I'm seriously worried about washing this glass afterwards... that stuff is really stuck on there!

S - I could smell tons of pine forest hops when I cracked the top on this one! This definitely has a northwest hop profile, and the bottle lists simcoe, cascade, and chinook hops... oh yeah. Classic grapefruit and pine sap notes abound, with top notes of apricot and mango. The malt undercurrent is definitely just the support for those classic hop aromas, but I can smell some biscuity notes in there.

T - This is a lot more balanced than the super-hoppy nose would suggest, but that ain't to say the the hops aren't there in full force. This is sweet and a bit toasty like an amber ale initially, then a massive tsunami of hops washes over the tongue and lays waste to any malt flavor that you were tasting just five seconds ago. There is a spicy rye-like note that really compliments the bitter grapefruit notes. Good stuff!

M - Medium bodied, solid, and well constructed. Soft and creamy at first, then astringent and angular as that blast of hops obliterates the palate. Finishes hoppy and spicy with a ten minute finish.

D - This brew is like the classic example of IPA-ness. If you were trying to explain beer styles to someone new to craft beer, I can think of "classic" examples of many styles and this would definitely (along with something like Two Hearted) be the best example of what an IPA should be. Excellent stuff!

4.62/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got a 6 pack of this at Chip's on the Outer Banks of NC. Poured it into a dogfish Head pint.

Pours a clear Amber color with lots of bubbles and a nice 2 finger head that lingers. Lots of sticky lacing.

Smells of Pine and citrus, almost grapefruit in nature. Very strong and made my mouth water.

Tastes of pine and grapefruit, a hint of malts. Closes with a nice bitterness. Nice dry finish.

Good medium carbonation, with a smooth clean mouthfeel.

I was really impressed with this IPA. For the price it is very drinkable. They are coming here to Virginia in Novenber. This will be in my regular rotation.

4.62/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a pint glass.
A: Aggressive pour yields 1 finger of just off white head with great retention. Crystal clear golden liquid. Nearly ideal.
S: Strong hop aroma - citrus, pine, slightly dank - very nice. Some floral/herbal quality, some tropical fruit. No off aroma, no alcohol, perfect.
T: Bitterness comes on very strong with a citrus peel/white fir needle quality and really hangs on. Slight biscuity malt. Flavor stays clean throughout without getting messy with warmth.
M: Chewy, very bitter! A tad astringent.
D: I like it a lot. I'd order another, and I'm glad I bought 6. I'll definitely buy it again.

Ranger from New Belgium Brewing