1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Ranger - New Belgium Brewing

RangerRanger

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: brownbeer on 12-30-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ranger Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,714 | Reviews: 1,108 | Show All Ratings:
MCfunkyJ

I have to give this an A+ only because that asshole from Arizona gave it a D+ and some other no good-hoppy-beer-liking S.O.B's scored it low as well.

I would truly give this brew about a B+ only because of the low ABV%.

I thought the taste was exceptionally hopped. I'm glad this bar down the road stocks it. Its either this or the next best thing Stone IPA but the Ranger is on special right now 2 for $10.

I'm ecstatic like Mos Def!

I did not pour into chilled glass as usual cause I was drinking str8 from the double deuce.

Maybe next time?

04-28-2010 12:17:39 | More by MCfunkyJ
HARDDON

Arizona

This is probably the best non - seasonal IPA ever brewed by mankind.

If you LOVE IPA's then it doesnt get much better than Ranger.

Hopslam is better but thats about it.

If you like IPA's then do the Ranger and forget about most everything else. Ranger kicks butt and after about 4 of them, you're horizontal so not much more matters anyhow.

DRINK THIS STUFF UP...IT'S AWESUM.

11-06-2010 01:23:23 | More by HARDDON
TheOtherMike

Many years ago, and having at that time a different preference in beer, I discovered New Belgium's Fat Tire on a vacation in the Mountain West. It would be nearly ten years until I again was able to sample Fat tire, and while still enjoyable, it wasn't as good as I'd remembered.

On a recent vacation in the Mt. Rushmore area, I found Fat Tire to be plentiful as well as other New Belgium offerings. As an IPA fan I naturally grabbed a six pack of Ranger and was not disappointed. I hope I don't have to wait another ten years to get Ranger again.

12-31-2010 05:37:06 | More by TheOtherMike
engagechad

Purchased as a 22oz from Wine and Beer Westpark in Glen Allen, VA - poured into dfh snifter

No exaggeration. I can't find anything less than perfect here.

Pours a well filtered, very nice amber orange. Head is perfect, hangs around for a while and descends nicely with great lacing. Smells like a heaping handful of hops, I'm not educated enough to know what kind really but its nice and dry. Taste follows with a perfect back bone of malty goodness while maintaining a perfect amount of bitterness. Feels perfect and remains great as it warms.

Could it be confirmation bias ala my inability to buy this beer prior to this month in Virginia.. maybe..

but overall I love this beer and this may well be my new fav IPA.

08-30-2011 14:13:28 | More by engagechad
Bernardkowalski

Absolutely one of my favorite beers!! honestly can go good with anything, but you are better off enjoying this beer by itself. it has so much too offer, such great combination between the yeast and malt's making this an outstanding brew. you can put this on my list of top beers.

02-17-2013 00:22:41 | More by Bernardkowalski
hopdaddy49

4.9/5  rDev +29.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I believe that New Belgium is noted for other than IPA, but I gotta say, as an extreme hophead, they knocked it outta the veritable park with this baby. It is a great value as well and outperforms more expensive ales in terms of flavor, mouth feel, nose and delecability. I have tried hundreds of ales and this one has just the right balance of flavors for me. The fact that they use three of my very favorite hop varieties (chinook, simcoe and cascade) yields a wonderfully citrusy finish that is intense without overpowering the malty deliciousity ;) If you haven"t tried it and you can get it, get it and try it if you like IPA's at all...Enjoy!

07-14-2013 16:22:38 | More by hopdaddy49
jkdrummer

Washington

4.88/5  rDev +29.1%

Pours a foamy light bright white head. The aroma is fantastic -- just flowing off the head. The taste is a mouthful of hops but no bitterness at all. It's a wonderful balance of goodness. Highly highly recommended. NB has mastered the IPA! Can't believe it only gets a B+.

04-10-2010 21:59:06 | More by jkdrummer
THE-DUDE

Missouri

4.88/5  rDev +29.1%

This is one of my favorite beers. Fabulous citrus and floral fragrance and flavor. Quite bitter with a strong grapefruit flavor, which i love. A Very hoppy dry fantastic beer! For me, this is a great IPA. I recommend this to anyone who likes a hoppy IPA.

01-05-2014 00:53:17 | More by THE-DUDE
brettr

Colorado

4.85/5  rDev +28.3%

On on draft in Fort Collins, CO at New Belgium. Couldn't be any fresher.

A- Light copper color thick white head. Long lasting head. Served in NBB tulip glass.

S- Citrus-y hop characteristic.

T- Fresh, crisp and hint of grapefruit flavor.

M- Medium body, ABV 6.5 drinks like a 5.0. Good solid
summer session beer. Don't have to choke it down like some other heavily hopped IPA's.

D- This is a solid beer and will be a permanent lineup in the New Belgium "EXPLORE" series. It is not a "seasonal" as others have alluded to. This will be a very good summer session beer for the IPA lovers. I was a solid Sierra Nevada customer (how can you go wrong at $11.99 12 pack) but this beer is lighter, crisper and has way more of that west coast citrus style at half the price. Bombers under $3.50 this is a very good beer for the price.

03-12-2010 17:43:24 | More by brettr
harlanhu28

4.83/5  rDev +27.8%

I picked this up at whole foods fresh off the truck.. Looking at the bottle there is a unfiltered cloudiness in the lower 1/3 of the bottle.. While pouring I noticed quite a strong floral hop aroma very impressed in this from NB.. The first taste was exceptional there was three levels of of flavor, from instant bite to a strong malt in the middle, then a bitter finish.. Overall very impressed in NB for this one they made it thier way with thier own malt and house yeast.. A

01-15-2010 15:31:46 | More by harlanhu28
GrainDamaged

4.83/5  rDev +27.8%

An inch thick head tops this one, medium density with slow cavitation, total evidence as I drain the glass. A mosaic of various sized bubbles pack against the glass like a football mob.
It's a vision of crystal clear, honey toned, magnifying glass permeated with fine carbonation.
Earthy and damp, with wood and bread and pine hops, a hearty whif of yeast. It smells exactly like brew day, barley, and wheat malt then the linger of hops.
Tastes almost as it smells, a wonderful bread seasoned lightly with Rosemary, the hops come through gently bitter but strong, pine sap and the tiniest touch of caramel and yeast. After it's over the hops linger indefinitely leaving me totally satisfied but eager for more.
Delightlfully smoothe and robust in flavor, this is precisely what beer should taste like! I could see a few of these disappearing fast!

01-03-2011 23:39:54 | More by GrainDamaged
xmorgan

4.8/5  rDev +27%

Bought this one on a whim. The store I was in, ran out of the "Better IPAs". I was supprised.

New Belgium delivers a real IPA, that is well balanced, hoppy enough and has the piney, citrus taste one expects from the west coast IPAs.

The body and hop prescence work really well.

I gave a poured pint to a friend who normally dishes on New Belgium, and he thought I gave him another Nor Cal IPA like RR IPA. He changed his toon.

Pours a brownish red with a white cake head. Retentions is very good and the balance and hop prescence are spot on.

It could have more hop bouquet but that is my only knock on this well made IPA. at >6% it is a good dont drive home after a 6 pack IPA.

04-28-2010 05:30:15 | More by xmorgan
JAZwara

4.75/5  rDev +25.7%

I had started a thread a few weeks ago asking about grapefruit-y IPAs after having FFF Arctic Panzer Wolf...amazingly I don't think Ranger came up in that thread, but this is a great grapefruit-y IPA.

Had on-tap, poured with a pretty good head.

The smell is far less of grapefruit than the taste; some grapefruit and other citrus, alot of pine, and a little bit of maltiness.

The taste, however, is mostly grapefruit, with some orange and other citrus. At the same time its not overly bitter. There's enough of a malt backing to give some balance, but theres no mistaking that this is a solid IPA.

Mouth feel is fantastic: given the solid hop profile I expected it to have more sharpness, but its more smooth than expected.

Only wish I had ordered it earlier in the evening so I could keep going back. Luckily its readily available in stores so I'll be sure to be going back

03-24-2011 01:27:43 | More by JAZwara
allthatAles

4.72/5  rDev +24.9%

Pour: Clean, smooth, pours a, golden highlighted, Amber, almost coppery. Head was nearly non-existent, and broke apart rather quickly

Nose: i am detecting two to possibly three hops. a slight almost malt residue blocks the first part, i get 'pollen' in middle and more 'flower' at the end, should such a thing be possible.

Mouth: a little soapy/bitter and the beginning, lively hops across the tongue and while the bubbles are at a minimum by design the few are move uninterrupted across the tongue and act as the on lingerance to the finish. Light, hopy, delightful. i see this beer as something you try on way to the more challenging and harsh IPA's and imperials. Personally, i could drink this everyday.

This beer makes the fourth offering from this brewery's line i have tried. this has revealed a theme to me of the fort collins brewery: Clean finishes. what's left to linger is so .... little. i think them some of the best at this, actually. Also, it does make me see the need for, well, he exact opposite. I'll cite the extreme Sour Blemish genre for contrast. However, as a beer nerd i think the its the balance and the choice that make it fun.

02-11-2010 17:18:34 | More by allthatAles
LiveOakMarket

4.7/5  rDev +24.3%

Very nice beer from our friends at new Belgium. 70 ibu's but you don't get that tipical hop hit that you would expect. Don't get me wrong, I quite enjoy this brew and the fact that new Belgium is doing something new is awsome. I think more and moe breweries need to start doing more hoppy, ipa high alcohol beers. Bang for your buck I say.

01-07-2010 13:05:10 | More by LiveOakMarket
bohemiandonut

4.7/5  rDev +24.3%

After an unimpressive experience with Hop Stoopid last night, I am giving this one a closer look.

Poured into an oversized wine glass.
Simple curtain of head with thin but sticky retention.
Pristine appearance in the glass. A glowing amber-orange with feisty carbonation like a good champagne.
Smell is immediate on the pour. Juicy citrus notes that scream loudly of pineapple and, of course, pine.
When I crave IPA, this is exactly what I look for. Dry, fruity bitterness that lacks the syrupy, oily mouthfeel so prevalent in the California style. A tad flat on the carbonation for my tastes, but no dealbreaker.
I am not a huge New Belgium fan but this is worlds away from their other offerings. Very well done, Colorado.

06-26-2010 06:54:48 | More by bohemiandonut
godlessape

4.68/5  rDev +23.8%

The first time I tried this brew it was on tap at a metal concert I went to last year and it was like the freaking nectar of the gods. So why did it take me nearly 10 months to try it again?

Appearance: Pours a clear whiskey shade of amber with a massive pillow of soft milky white foam that leaves some hellish lacing.

Smell: Pure grapefruit with a double shot of caramel malt that has me almost hyperventilating.

Taste: Bitter, sweet, then viciously bitter again, in such and incredible way as to rip my lips off and make my head spin.

Mouthfeel: A little on the light side but...

Overall: A great beer. This has reached my top 10 without a doubt.

09-03-2011 04:13:18 | More by godlessape
pmcadamis

4.65/5  rDev +23%

A - Clear tangerine brew with a two finger fluffy white head. Tons of good lookin' lace sticks to the glass, and head retention is pretty dang good. The lace on this one is so abundant and crusty that I'm seriously worried about washing this glass afterwards... that stuff is really stuck on there!

S - I could smell tons of pine forest hops when I cracked the top on this one! This definitely has a northwest hop profile, and the bottle lists simcoe, cascade, and chinook hops... oh yeah. Classic grapefruit and pine sap notes abound, with top notes of apricot and mango. The malt undercurrent is definitely just the support for those classic hop aromas, but I can smell some biscuity notes in there.

T - This is a lot more balanced than the super-hoppy nose would suggest, but that ain't to say the the hops aren't there in full force. This is sweet and a bit toasty like an amber ale initially, then a massive tsunami of hops washes over the tongue and lays waste to any malt flavor that you were tasting just five seconds ago. There is a spicy rye-like note that really compliments the bitter grapefruit notes. Good stuff!

M - Medium bodied, solid, and well constructed. Soft and creamy at first, then astringent and angular as that blast of hops obliterates the palate. Finishes hoppy and spicy with a ten minute finish.

D - This brew is like the classic example of IPA-ness. If you were trying to explain beer styles to someone new to craft beer, I can think of "classic" examples of many styles and this would definitely (along with something like Two Hearted) be the best example of what an IPA should be. Excellent stuff!

03-01-2010 00:39:49 | More by pmcadamis
dfillius

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a pint glass.
A: Aggressive pour yields 1 finger of just off white head with great retention. Crystal clear golden liquid. Nearly ideal.
S: Strong hop aroma - citrus, pine, slightly dank - very nice. Some floral/herbal quality, some tropical fruit. No off aroma, no alcohol, perfect.
T: Bitterness comes on very strong with a citrus peel/white fir needle quality and really hangs on. Slight biscuity malt. Flavor stays clean throughout without getting messy with warmth.
M: Chewy, very bitter! A tad astringent.
D: I like it a lot. I'd order another, and I'm glad I bought 6. I'll definitely buy it again.

02-20-2011 22:16:21 | More by dfillius
drinkofczars

Washington

4.6/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A- Nice label. Chronic green coloring with some nice graphic hops sprawled out under the "Ranger India Pale Ale" label. Beer has an outstanding light color to it. Not rated a perfect 5 because I prefer my American IPA's a little hazier.

S- Amazing. One of the most delightful citrus smelling IPA's I have had the pleasure of sinking my nose into. The smell of the hops are very robust surrounding the citrus flavors and trail off nicely as you begin to pick up the floral notes.

T- Nice and mellow tasting for an IPA. I would like a little more bite from the hops, and would expect more looking at the innocuously radiating buds on the bottom of the label. Delicious

M- Good carbonation but borders on the arena of too-much. Pleasant from your first sip down to the last gulp. Not too thick, not too thin.

O- I think this is one of the best reviews I have ever given a beer. Maybe it was a combination of me having a really good day, or being in an optimistic mood. Either way; spectacular beer. I was never a big fan of New Belgium Brewery after having Fat Tire at my brothers wedding, but this beer has rekindled my interest in them.

Super good beer.

04-27-2011 00:36:33 | More by drinkofczars
Geuzedad

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got a 6 pack of this at Chip's on the Outer Banks of NC. Poured it into a dogfish Head pint.

Pours a clear Amber color with lots of bubbles and a nice 2 finger head that lingers. Lots of sticky lacing.

Smells of Pine and citrus, almost grapefruit in nature. Very strong and made my mouth water.

Tastes of pine and grapefruit, a hint of malts. Closes with a nice bitterness. Nice dry finish.

Good medium carbonation, with a smooth clean mouthfeel.

I was really impressed with this IPA. For the price it is very drinkable. They are coming here to Virginia in Novenber. This will be in my regular rotation.

07-04-2011 15:50:32 | More by Geuzedad
nickthegun12

Alabama

4.58/5  rDev +21.2%

this beer is wonderful to say the least....

Ranger is everything you could ask for out of an american ipa....bouquet of a variety of hops....bitter and aroma...a sharp bitter taste that lingers for a bit....great lacing....the color is light...as with most new belgiums beer....the beautiful aroma hops are sweet and bright in smell....all the way around Ranger is all that one could ask for in an american ipa

12-16-2010 23:11:27 | More by nickthegun12
zbuc919

4.58/5  rDev +21.2%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass...

A light golden orange color with a nice creamy head to it. The grapefruit aroma jumps out of the glass and is the first flavor that hits you on the first sip. It finishes with a nice smooth bitterness. It's nice and dried out really highlighting the excellent choice of hops in this IPA.

Another fantastic brew from the folks at New Belgium Brewery!

06-10-2011 01:12:13 | More by zbuc919
tmm313

4.56/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Super clear amber color. Poured a thick, foamy two finger head that quickly dissipated. Nice lacing.

Smell: Orange, tropical fruit, grapefruit, lemon, pine, and a little dank.

Taste: Piney hops and orange up front, followed by grapefruit, citrus rind, earthy spice, and bigger pine over a nice malt backbone. Slightly bitter aftertaste. Gets better as it warms.

Mouthfeel: Light with crisp carbonation. Slightly oily, bitter finish.

Overall: This was a super refreshing IPA. Nothing too overpowering and nicely balanced. Dangerously sessionable. This would probably be the perfect bridge for someone wanting to get into IPAs. I foresee this beer taking up too much space in my fridge for sure.

10-29-2013 18:36:05 | More by tmm313
bricetrine

4.55/5  rDev +20.4%

On draft at Fat Daddy in Mansfield TX. Soon to be on draft in my garage!

A-Pours a nice copper/orange-ish hue, with a nice tall fluffy head

S-Plenty of big citrus scents - I could enjoy this all day.

T-Piney, floral, and bitter; there is a lot going on here and I like it all.

D- as I said this will be on tap at my house within the week. Very drinkable...

03-15-2010 19:33:31 | More by bricetrine