Ranger - New Belgium Brewing

RangerRanger

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: brownbeer on 12-30-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ranger Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,209 | Hads: 5,366
4.47/5  rDev +15.8%

12oz bottle poured into a Pint Glass.

A - Pours a hazy dark gold with a fluffy white head that settles to a generous cap, leaving behind rings of lacing.
S - Fresh and pungent floral hop aromas of grapefruit, pineapple, pine resin, and mandarin orange peel with a very light malt backbone.
T - Moderate hop flavors of grapefruit, pine resin, orange peel, and fresh-cut grass with a touch of sweet biscuit malt and a fairly long lasting bitter finish. Very nicely balanced, and easily one of the most drinkable IPAs on the market.
M - Smooth and crisp, with a medium body and great carbonation.
O - One of my go-to IPAs, especially when it's this fresh. Just a great, unpretentious year-round brew! (698 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +15.8%

Vibrant orange hue with a nice white head on top that sticks around for the duration. Good retention and stickage. Smells of grapefruity citrus hops and some pine as well. Excellent biscuity malt smell as well that rounds out the aroma nicely.

Very well balanced between hops and malts. The hops are bold and bitter, but also citrusy and sweet at the same time. Juicy grapefruit comes to mind in taste and mouthfeel. A good and balancing amount of biscuity malt is present and really makes the beer stand out. Sometimes I find that too much of a biscuit malt is overpowering in IPAs, but not the case here. Very well balanced. Mouthfeel is very dry and it finishes crisp and relatively clean. A little grit in back that only furthers the experience. Alcohol is hidden very well and it only registers as an afterthought. Really just a well done beer, but make sure its fresh or that biscuit malt may take over the character. The hops in this are not to be missed. (964 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +15.3%

Now I like American IPA's a lot, and in already liking New Belgium as a whole for putting out consistently decent brews (on par with Sierra Nevada in my opinion), I was excited to see and taste this beer.

A- Copper like a penny, but a bit of a golden tint to it.

S- Smelled a bit flowery and yeasty as these do to me.

T- This is, I think, in terms of the more accessible and affordable, one of the best American IPA's out there. I haven't found any more that I'd probably consistently buy a 6-pack of to keep in the fridge as a non-complicated, straight up American IPA. Its a bit hoppy, has a smooth taste and seems pretty darn well balanced.

M- The mouthfeel was covered a bit before, but yes its quite smooth and doesn't linger with its bitterness too long as some IPA's tend to.

D- I can keep drinking these as long as the one before it is done. Its fresh tasting, doesn't make me feel like I'm going to explode, and not too heavy on the alcohol. So yes in terms of liking a beer that you can just keep on drinking and enjoying in large or small quantities, I loved it. (1,079 characters)

12oz longneck.
A) Pours with a big frothy white head that keeps great retention throughout. Ultra clear body. Bronze in color. Active upward carbonation. This is a beautiful looking beer.
S) Robust floral aroma of dry hops - cascade, centennial, possibly simcoe. Just down right pleasant.
T) A well balanced IPA. The hops and malt jostle back and forth, first with the hops coming through then the malts then finishing with the hops. Caramel. Grapefruit. Hints of black pepper in the finish.
M) Clean. Crisp. Medium body.
D) A delicious IPA! I'd definitely drink more of this. (577 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I find this to be one of the best IPA's you can get for the price. It tastes as good as a lot of other pricier craft IPA brews and is more drinkable than most. It is very simple for an IPA but has all the necessary qualities; pine and floral hops, grapefruit and citrus up front and in the finish a very light malt backbone. Although there is nothing really special coming through this brew does everything right and the price can't be beat. (441 characters)

Poured from 12oz bottle

Poured into Sam Adams glass

A: color is golden, orange; very crisp, clear appearance. One and a half fingers of head that is frothy on top; larger, less frothy bubbles make up the bottom of head. Head remains at one finger after several minutes. Leaves sticky white lacing as it falls.

S: Hop Aroma: dank, piney, Malt Aroma: toasty and biscuty. Strong hop aroma

T: hoppy and bitter, as an IPA is expected to be. Very hoppy. Balanced toward the hoppy side but gives me a crispness and lets the malt be known. Leaves a hoppy bitter aftertaste. Long finish.

M: good mouthfeel; smooth, a bit heavy, yet crisp mouthfeel. Carbonation is about perfect. Maybe slightly light because more carbonation could cleanse my palate better.

O: A really nicely done IPA. A thin head remains for a long time and a lot of lacing is left as I drink the beer down. I like the balance in this IPA. It is a bit on the crazy, hoppy side, and satisfies that hop-head in me, but is balanced enough to keep me drinking and refreshed. The finish could be crisper for my taste. For me, this is an IPA that finds itself in my stock at least 50% of the time. It is really enjoyable and drinkable. (1,195 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +15.3%

I could review this beer in one word: exceptional, but I might as well go ahead and go for a mainstream review.

A: Poured from a bottle into Pilsner. Pours a nice golden honey color with a perfect, pillowtop 1-2 finger head. Bubbles keep'a comin'.

S: It smells rustic. I've heard people describe IPA's as kind of a "farm" smell. I can definitely smell that in this beer.

T: Exceptional. As everyone has said, this beer is crisp, refreshing, hoppy, and most of all delicious. You've outdone your self this time New Belgium, this is a great beer. For 70+ IBU's, I would say this is just as good of an introductory PA/IPA, as, say, SNPA, as well as a great beer for anyone who likes an ale with some hops.

M: Light-bodied. Crisp. Not too dry, not sticky at all.

O: This is an IPA you can introduce to your BMC drinkin' family and friends without thinking they're going to have to trudge through to not hurt your feelings, and New Belgium must know it, because they sell this at my local Wal-Mart. (1,003 characters)

70 IBUs
6.5% ABV
$1.25 at BevMo

Blonde color (a little light for an IPA), but great foam. Great bitterness, but very drinkable. Very affordable for a craft brew. I've also had this on tap at Mission Pizza, and it was even better on tap. Most definitely Recommended. (309 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A-Pours a clear golden color with a medium sized white rocky/creamy head that has good retention and wonderful lacing. Very attractive beer.

S-First comes the hops. It's delicate yet pungent with a perfect balance of floral, piney, and citrus hops. A little (very little) sweet fruity esthers too.

T-The flavor mirrors the aroma very well with a balance of floral, piney, and citrus hop flavor. But there is also a sweet biscuity toasty maltiness added to the experience with an extremely clean yet hardy resiny bitterness that lingers forever. In the flavor as oppose to the aroma, the sweet maltiness is very present, yet balance with plenty of hop flavor, but in the aroma you can't really smell the malt because the hops dominate the aroma, which I like.

M-It has a full creamy body with medium carbonation with a slightly dry finish.

D-This beer is extremely drinkable but because it's 6.5% alcohol I would not want to have more than three of these in one evening. I highly recommend this to any true hop lover. (1,024 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bought a pint bottle from work yesterday after a looong shift. Poured into a US standard pint glass.

A - Pale, golden yellow with a thick, slightly creamy head that dissolves into a nice residual foam. Beautiful lacing and a steady stream of bubbles from the bottom. 4.5

S - Strong hop scent with a hint of grapefruit and lemon zest. Beautiful smell, honestly I might be addicted to it. 4.5

T - Slightly sweet flavor at the beginning that dissolves into a well-balanced, hoppy aftertaste. Flavor at the middle of the tongue is really complex and hard to describe, but it manages to bridge the beginning and end together extraordinarily well. 4.5

M - Crisp and lightly carbonated, and the bitterness of the hops leaves a tangy, dry flavor on the back of the tongue. 4.0

O - New Belgium's Ranger is one of the most balanced IPAs I've had. Hoppy flavor isn't overpowering at all and is easy to put down without feeling jipped. 4.5 (932 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I'm always excited for New Belgium's seasonals. They kick their regular offerings in the pants!

A: 3 fingers ivory head, frothy and inviting. Pretty clear light amber or dark golden. Amazing retention and gorgeous lacing.
S: Citrust (orange) and other blooming fruitiness. Floral, and then balanced out by a toasted malt.
T/M: Very fruity and citrusy. Really bitter hoppy flavors. Lots of zest, so definitely an emphasis on the fruity esters and bitterness. I know the malt is there, but the hops really dominate the very faint caramel. Flavors just pop from the heavier carbonation. Smooth on the palate, and so enjoyable.
D: I'd love for this to be a regular offering. (671 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

A - wonderful bright citrus and grapefruit hops with some malt in the background.
A - Nice two fingers of head, a mix of rocky and fine bubbled head. Clear orange-amber.
M - low to medium carbonation. Thin to medium body.
T - The flavor of the hops comes through wonderfully from the aroma with a very smooth bitterness. Malt nicely supportive and in the background.
D - This is a wonderfully drinkable IPA that has the best of hop flavor without the bitterness of some IPA's that just try to be hop bombs. (506 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured light amber color with thick foamy head. Moderate lacing on side. Predominately citrus aroma. Slightly grassy. Citrus taste up front quickly followed by grassy, hoppy taste. Slight malts with moderately bitter aftertaste on the end. This is definitely a beer I can drink often. (284 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +14.8%

Ah, the Ranger IPA from New Belgium...one of my favorite breweries. I am a huge fan of this style of beer, so my review may be a little biased. I love the lacing that the beer keeps on the glass. Like artwork. Very nice aroma. Taste is quite good. Nice balance of hop bitterness and malty sweetness. Overall a very drinkable IPA. Even at 6.5%, it qualifies as a good session beer...at least among my circle of friends! Seems to be our go to beer for a day of grilling and engaging in some lawn games. (500 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +14.5%

12oz bottle at about fridge temp poured into a plastic cup. best by: 24JUN12.

pours out a very clear sunny orange, golden color with a fairly dense white head. some fine bubbles as well as a few big ones in the head. retains a thin layer and leaves some good lacing on the glass.

lots of big pine and sharp grapefruit citrus as well as a bit of pine tree resin. just a bit of a bready, light caramel malt noticable. smells really nice and fresh.

a nice range of pine tree flavors with a slight sharp grapefruit citrus right next to it. slight nuances of tropical fruits and floral hops. just the right amount of a bready, caramel malt. a dry, bitter, somewhat grassy finish.

medium bodied and very drinkable. a slight stickiness as it warms. carbonation just a touch high at first, but makes for a crisp and refreshing mouthfeel.

i was surprised how solid and sessionable this was. lots of fresh flavors. i wish this was available in NY cause itd be a staple. (965 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

New Belgium Ranger IPA has a thick, spongy, off-white head with excellent retention, a very clear, golden, bubbly appearance, and some lacing left behind on the glass. The aroma is of strong, hoppy pine or grapefruit and sugary malt. Taste is of the same, yet the bitterness is not overly so. Sugar, white bread, and citrus juice are all there. Mouthfeel is high medium and oily, and New Belgium Ranger IPA finishes pretty dry, refreshing, and drinkable. Overall, this is a very delicious beer.

RJT (500 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +14.5%

12 ounce bottle, best by 3/11/12. Beautiful hop bitterness throughout, piney, resinous, grassy. Easy to drink, alcohol masked by floral hop aromas and grapefruit. Moderate malt backbone, nicely balanced but leaning toward hops. Tongue coating and delicious. Can't wait to get these in Florida... (295 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +14.5%

A - Pours clear gold color with adequate head made up primarily of larger sized bubbles. Head dissipates first to a to creamy top with lots of lacing on the glass, then to a thin ring.

S - A great combination of smooth malts and hop aroma. Hard to determine which dominates, but hops win in the end. Citrus, floral, piney, spicy? Yes, all of the above. Great bouquet of smell with a vegetal dry-hopped component in the mix. Malt is rich and clean.

T - Good flavor that matches the aroma. Key is balance of malts, hops, and bitterness. Very well thought out combination. Nothing stands out as over-the top. Bitterness is in line with a typical IPA.

M - Thin to moderate for an IPA. More like that of an APA. Smooth feel. Slight warming on swallow. Good bitterness that lasts and hop flavors persist on the breath. Cool alcohol in the end.

D - Very drinkable. Could drink more than the average IPA, but would have to keep tabs on the ABV.

Overall - This will be one of my "staples" to have on keg or in the refrigerator at all times. I like the balance of malts and hops with a mouthfeel that is thinner than many IPAs. (1,122 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass. My favorite way to drink, other than on tap!

What a great looking beer! The head was a little thin, but I think I just poured it like a jackass so it's probably my fault. But overall a great looking brew. Very effervescent and a nice dark gold color. Goldenrod, if it were a Crayola crayon. But, it's not. It's beer! Once I started drinking some remarkable lacing occurred. The head I accidentally messed up stuck around for a good while too!

Very pleasant smell. Citrus and pine take over like they should in a good IPA. The smell instantly conjures images of a snowy pine forest near some mountains and a large, frozen lake. Absolutely beautiful!

And the taste... oh, the taste! This is honestly one of the most drinkable IPAs I've ever had. Almost a perfect balance of hop bitterness and an a slightly sweet citrus taste. Nice malty finish. Definitely has a few sides, but not overly complex. Very drinkable. I could see myself drinking this one often.

Mouthfeel is very good, especially for the style. Carbonation is good but it remains a very smooth brew. Good golly, I could drink way too much of this...

4.25/5, will most certainly drink again (1,198 characters)

Poured from the 12 oz bottle into my New Belgium Goblet:

a: extra generous pillow-top head id BEAUTIFUL and settles with Nice lacing.
this Brew is super clear and honey colored.

s: very, very hoppy but not quite the same type/flavor of hops that I have become used to - but I do like this too.

t: hits hard up front with bitter hopiness but no real follow- thru here. just a quick jab and that's it.

m: the extra heavy dose of hops almost bleeds into mouthfeel. otherwise, this seems a bit light bodied, also on a very positive note the impressive 6.5 ABV is barely noticeable until the long awaited and much welcomed buzz kicks in.

d: very drinkable. but not a chugging type of beer, (too much hoppy bite for that) but leaves you wanting more

Loving the New Belgium mentality. This brew is a respectable stab at the AIPA but not in the same league as some of the other new belgium offerings. (899 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +14.5%

I met this beer one stormy Saturnday night. It was raining so hard that it was impossible to find my car. Ranger offered me a ride home. I couldn't stop looking at it from the corner of my eye. It was so damn beautiful. And it smelled great, too. As the traffic lights passed us by and we made our way West, a strange feeling overtook me: I wanted a taste. But how to proceed? I thought about it for awhile, and as we pulled up to my building and Ranger turned off the engine I lunged with no hesitation. And it was magnificent. Citrusy, piney, with just the right amount of malt backing up the sweet punch to my senses. I awoke the next day to an empty bed, but with a phone number written on a napkin and placed beneath my pillow. Will I wait two days? No. (758 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +14.5%

This is my first review on Beer Advocate so I apologize for any vagueness.

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into laser etched bottom tumbler glass

Appearance: Rich amber color with 2 finger head. Strong lacing. Thin layer of foams covers the beer through entirety of enjoyment.

Smell: Very pleasant citrus/ floral/ slightly spicy/ signature pine IPA scent.

Taste: Same notes as smell. Slightly bitter. Moderate carbonation. Almost biscuit like aftertaste

Mouthfeel: The carbonation gives it a nice pop feel

Drinkability: Very easy to drink and I would label it as a "sessionable" brew. IPAs are one of my favorite beer styles (especially during the warmer months) and this one is one of my favorites. Highly recommended to all other hop heads out there (756 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +14.5%

poured from a bottle into a english style pint glass. mid range carbonation. small white head that leaves rather quickly. plenty of lace. the aroma is of a light pine to citrus. the mouthfeel is of a midrange carbonation and plenty of hops and medium malt. the finish is of a light bitter and dense aftertaste..this has become my favorite beer. and im hooked (358 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +14.5%

Excellent brew!! The appearance was what to expect from the style. The smell was very inviting with a strong hint of hops and some citrusy notes. The taste was good just not as good as some of the other IPA's I have tried. The mouthfeel was nice with a sort of dry finish but it has a really nice drinkability and before you know it have a finished a six pack!! (361 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +14.5%

Ranger pours a clear bronze color with a small amount of head that does not stick around. Smell is of hops, pine and citrus. This is a damn fine IPA if you are a hop head. Initial smoothness upfront then WACK! the hop bitterness hits you. This beer has a very crisp and fresh taste with a slight sweetness, and a hint of pine. I forgot how much I enjoyed this beer. Very drinkable and I could see putting away a few of these on a hot summer afternoon. Not a very complex IPA like Dogfish, but if you are looking for your basic IPA to enjoy at a BBQ or with a pizza this is a go to beer. (586 characters)

Ranger from New Belgium Brewing