Ranger - New Belgium Brewing

RangerRanger

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: brownbeer on 12-30-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ranger Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,202 | Hads: 5,310
1.32/5  rDev -65.8%

On tap. Pours a clear light amber with a small white head that has decent retention and leaves some light lacing on the glass. The aroma is pine and dank hops, some light caramel, sugar cookie, and a lot of butterscotch. Quite nasty. The taste is sweet with piney and dank hops, caramel, and tons of butterscotch and buttered popcorn. Nasty butterscotch finish with a light bitterness. Medium body. Medium carbonation. This is one of the worst beers I've had. I only had a couple ounces of it. I'm assuming it was a bad batch, but I won't be ordering it again. (560 characters)

1.81/5  rDev -53.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Pours good with nice head and lacing.

Appearence is medium-light amber. Moderate carbonation.

Very mild citrus with a little funky smell. Not very aromatic.

Piney with mild citrus notes, hoppiness over-powers flavor, very bitter after taste.

Watery feeling, goes flat quickly...you will notice if you cant get past the bitter after taste.

Overall, personally i wont buy again, ive had better that cost less!!

This is my personal opinion. (444 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -51.3%

Severely disappointed to find that this is an extra bitter brew (ESB) not an IPA. This is far too bitter to be considered an IPA. Who can drink stuff this BITTER? It made me sick to my stomach. This is SOUR like taking a huge bite of the white inside of an orange peel, unbearably bitter!

So sour in fact that I called them to see if they take pride in their brews. Apparently not seeing as how I had to suggest that they take down the batch number to see if others had concerns. The lady told me this beer is the #2 IPA, all natural and vegan & that they get a high volume of complaints?! Either label it right or recall the batch.

This is alcohol folks and improper brewing can be dangerous and can make people sick. How can you begin to review a beer that isn't made with pride? No accountability means you don't get my business.

I was trying to get to the bottom of why this beer turned my stomach after drinking it. It's a business with a bottom line.

Severely disappointed to find a failed attempt at beer,
as well as customer service.

NOT IPA.
Dangerous. (1,069 characters)

1.99/5  rDev -48.4%

The pour provides a very light bright colored beer, crystal clear. There isn't much body or head forming so I can't comment much on lacing but there's some.

The aroma brings out an almost vegetable hop note with some citrus grape fruit notes. A bit of caramel malt at the finish to give it some sweetness.

The flavor is a mixed bag of vegetables, grape fruit, caramel malts, perhaps some onion, and well something fake and off.

The body and the carbonation are ok for an IPA.

Ranger goes into my never again beer list. It isn't bad as I love IPA's but there's too much good beer for a brewery to make this. Avoid if you have any other craft options. (657 characters)

2.13/5  rDev -44.8%

I like the new look of the label, but the beer itself was disappointing. Thin body, no malt backbone. It tastes like fizzy hop water. The hop character is funky in every way - nose, bitterness and flavor. Perhaps a little more malt to back up the hops would help, but it's not a good beer at the moment. I like balance in beer in general, and especially in hoppy beers. This one doesn't deliver. (395 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -41.7%

Copper/red, yellow in color. Notes of hops in the aroma, with hints of herbs and fruit on the end. Initially mild on the palate, but then turns real herbal, and really dries out the tongue. Some metallic notes were picked up the finish. Overall, very dry and not well balanced. (277 characters)

2.29/5  rDev -40.7%

This was one of the weakest IPA's I have ever tasted. Most pale ales have more hops than this beer. But it is a good interduction into IPA for people who have never tried one before, since it is smooth and easy to drink. I am not a fan but I can see how people would like this anyway (283 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -40.4%

Pours from the bottle a surprisingly clear, orangey-brown cider color. About a half inch of white head. Smell is new to me for an IPA; immediately there's a pencil eraser/Windex note, though it's not necessarily unpleasant, just odd. Light mint and lemon join in. Taste is pretty bitter at first and that chemical/plastic flavor is still there, but malt and minty hops join in an odd Goldfish-cracker finish.

Body is pretty light and easy-drinking, but a harsh, salty bitterness settles in the throat, making for mouthfeel characteristics that I don't enjoy. The combination of strange flavors and the unpleasant mouthfeel didn't make this a good drinking experience. Drainpour. (680 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -39.9%

Pours out a light copper. Thin head. Smells malty as hell. Worty. Hops are of the citric variety, but wildly under represented in the nose. Flavor is malty, worty, Grape Nut-y, sweet, with a touch of hops. I pick up heavy toasty NB house taste. Mouthfeel is slightly thicker than I'd like. Carbonation is a bit prickly. Not feeling this. Weirdly worty. Lacking. (361 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -39.6%

33cl brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a Hard Rock cafe hefeweissbier glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live, unpaired with food.

A: Pours a four finger head of fair cream and thickness, and good retention. Colour is a clear yellow-gold. Generally appealing.

Sm: A mild strength aroma of citrus ester hops and barley.

T: Citrus ester hops indeed dominate - mainly badly handled grapefruit - but they're curbed near the climax by unwelcome bittering hops and off cream. The first half starts out decently, but it trainwrecks at the climax, ruining the balance. The flavours were chosen alright, but the structure and balance are where the problems lay.

Mf: Smooth and wet, but indistinct and certainly not tailored to the flavours. The thickness is strange as well.

Dr: The quality - or relative lack thereof - makes it difficult to drink. The price isn't that great especially as part of a variety pack. I won't be having it again. A relatively high ABV. (1,010 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -36.5%

Was hoping this beer was good as i've heard so much about it.

Poured brilliant, smelled brilliant, tasted awful.

Ive only had two beers by New Belgium that are any good, 1554 beer and La Folie. All their other beers taste like some variation of fat tire.

This brewery is the rogue of the rocky mountains. A couple good beers, the rest all have the same mediocore taste. (374 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -36.3%

Brilliant light gold with a solid finger and a half of tight foam. Excellent retention. Spotty lace.

Resinous and citrus hops on the nose. A good amount of earthiness, as well. Slight toast.

Resiny at first, followed by earthiness, followed by foul B.O. taste. Gross. No malt to speak of. Very bitter on the finish with lingering bitterness.

Medium bodied with good carbonation.

With the exception of that horrible flavor and a bit too much bitterness, this would be a very good IPA. (487 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -34.5%

A- A clear, light orange liquid with a thin white head that leaves some nice lacing.

S- Steamed asparagus, butter, lemon, and lots of pepper. Normally a beer of this nature tend to be repulsive to me, but it works better than most here.

T- Oh man... This is not good to me. The asparagus, butter, and pepper really take over and makes this very strange... The one redeeming value is the slight watermelon aspect. Still, I can't get into this at all.

M- The carbonation keeps it spicy and it has a lasting dryness associated with the bitterness.

D- Overall, the asparagus aspect to this really killed it. Not gross though. (625 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -34.2%

12 oz bottle pours a nice pale orange. Each sip leaves pretty legs down the side of my tulip.

Smell is muted fruitiness and a vaporous boozy quality that I'm not excited to pull from a 6.5% beer. If this is dry hopped, I'm not getting it.

What's happening here? Heavy solvent taste and bittering hops. Seems the Chinook are taking center stage. I realize balance is overrated, but this is an astringent mess. For the alcohol level, this beer does nothing to hide it. Bummer.

Mouthfeel and drinkability pull an average. Feelin a bit confused by this beer.

Really don't enjoy slamming a beer, because there are so many good beers, great brewers, and it's a tough gig. But, this is a major letdown. (699 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -33.7%

Poured a cold one from a sampler case into a chalice and let warm for a few minutes.

A: Pours golden, medium head which quickly fades, soft bubbles as you drink through the glass.

S: Pine, pine, citrus, more pine. Pine smell is too strong to be appealing. Would've liked more balance with the citrus.

T: Solid initially. Medium bitterness, nice hoppy citrus/pine at the start. Not much malt backing, but fine for the style. The problem comes in with the aftertaste. It is VERY strong pine and follows the smell. After a burp I feel like I've just eaten a whole plate full of pine needles. Honestly kind of gross.

M: Perfect carbonation. A nice, drinkable pale ale in terms of the mouthfeel.

Overall: Not a big fan. Too much pine going on here, as I mentioned before. I don't think I will have another. I hope the amber and the Snow Day are better beers as I wasn't a fan of this one or the Trippel (due to the overwhelming coriander taste, but that's for another review). (976 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -33.7%

12oz. bottle served into a pint glass

Pours an ultra-clear light amber. This looks like a lager; like a bock or something. The head sits at two solid fingers of white fluff. This doesn't look like many IPAs but it is pretty. The lacing does its thing admirably as well.

The beer smells soapy and spicy with a faint sense of grapefruit. The hops, that is, smell that way. Some pine, too. I'm expecting the malts to shine and become assertive and, though it takes a while, it happens. It smells pretty sweet. Meh.

Sweet, sugary malt is what this supposedly American-style IPA tastes like. The hops? Ummmm, let me try and find them again. *dives down* *minutes pass* *surfaces* Welp, I found a couple but that's it. There is some light grapefruit but it leaves the palate quicker than the average length of term for a CTU Director on "24." There is no hop bitterness. There is no finish. No aftertaste. This is disappointing and I came in with low expectations.

This is pretty thick for an IPA. I've had double IPAs that are thinner. And if you've read my reviews then you know that I personally prefer a light mouthfeel for hoppy beers. I have mixed feelings about the drinkability. One one hand the beer is light and super-easy to drink. On the other hand it is as boring as the first 15 episodes of season 8 of "24."

This beer might score more favorably as an Amber Ale. As an IPA? Nope. (1,392 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -33.4%

22 oz. bottle into glass pint.
40°F

$3.99 / ea.

Bottled: June 9, 2010
Enjoyed: September 6, 2010

A: Bright straw body topped with a big loos head that quickly dissipates leaving light lacing, and a thin creamy cover.

S: Citrus aroma with strong pineapple character. Sweetness in the background. Very simple, but enjoyable.

T: Strong resinous hop flavor that dominates the flavor profile, and builds, ultimately overpowering the hint of citrus that was present at first taste. Difficult to make out any malt flavor after a few sips. Unpleasant hop aftertaste.

M: Light body with heavy carbonation. Crisp despite the hop strength. I would have expected an oilier texture.

D: Difficult to enjoy this one out of the bottle. One glass is plenty, but age may be playing a role. The mouthfeel is adequate, and the aroma touches on greatness, but ultimately the flavor profile is too one sided to enjoy in volume.

O: This beer was much better on tap. I'm pretty disappointed with the bottled version, but age could be playing a role. I'll pay close attention the next time I pick up a bottle. It could very easily be the last time. (1,132 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -33.2%

Not a bad IPA, just not one of my favorites. The taste is a little lacking in flavor, in my opinion. It's just a bit one-dimentional. Appearance and smell are just about average, and the taste is mildly hoppy. Not much else to report. I've picked up this beer several times from the grocery store when there aren't many other options, but I'm usually not all that thrilled with it. (381 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -32.6%

Pours a clear, golden color with a 2 finger thick, dense, cream colored head, with great retention, a thin layer hanging on through the whole glass, with moderate lacing.

The aroma is clearly hop forward, with a fair amount of pineyness on the nose in addition to a decent citrus character, as well as some sweet honey-like, pale malt notes.

The flavor starts out with some decent hop character, predominately of the citrus/pine variety with some herbal in the background towards the finish. The malt flavor takes over pretty quick, leaving a buttery caramel impression, the finish has a "harsh bitterness" to it that ends on a relatively sweet, butterscotch note, leaving an uncomfortable bitterness on the palate.

Ranger is a decent IPA...it doesn't excel in it's category, but the hops are showcased fairly well, though I perceive a touch of diacetyl in the finish, plus there is a unusual sweetness that drops in at the end that ruins the hop character. The finishing bitterness is quite harsh, with an almost metallic character. ***The last two bottles of this beer have been sitting in my fridge for over 3 months now. I just can't bring myself to drink them when I have FAR batter IPAs in there. That to me is indicative of the quality of this beer....it's just really not good. Consequently....lowering my grade. (1,323 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Bought in a bottle and poured into a glass. (my first IPA)

Appearance- Poured a nice golden color with a thick head of foam that eventually turned into lace the length of the glass

Smell- Very strong, but I expected that reading the type description and history for IPAs ( concentrated for long shipment) Smelled a lot like pine sol/ potpourri and a little citrus?

Taste- Initial Taste was overwhelming for me, again pine sol and potpourri, (could not taste any of the citrus I smelled) but somehow each little sip was more tolerable than the last.

Overall- I guess not I was not ready for this type of beer, having only expanded out from the mass produced adjunct lagers a short time ago. I guess of you have already tried a lot of beers and know you like pine flavors, this would be awesome, but I am still trying to figure out my palate and this was not appealing to it. I will read more about IPAs in general to find out if this is typical of the style before purchasing another. It was nice to have a beer with flavor. The strong taste would have been awesome had the overwhelming flavor not been a pine cone and grass. (1,129 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -31.9%

Poured from a brown bottle into a pub glass. The pour produces a 2 inch white frothy head. Receding to leave a thin cap with sticky lace drageape. Color is a darker golden yellow. The ultra filtered look is not very appealing. Its crystal clear, like food coloring in water.

Aroma is a bit weak for the style, hops do not jump out in the traditional american ipa fashion. There are some jucy hop aromas, but they are very subdued. No malt aroma, some mild sweet butter, and a touch of fruity hops.

Taste is also quite thin, hops are better here, but flavors are subdued and almost watered down in taste and mouthfeel. I cannot understand how this was dubbed an american ipa, because it is not. Now had it been labled an epa, or pale ale, I would have likely given it an A. Mouthfeel is thin and water, some carbonation present.

Taste has some more mango fruit forward hop flavors and there is some mild malt sweetness coming forward.

All in all, go ahead and avoid this one if you are looking for smashing hops and a full flavored thicker brew.
Not pleased. (1,063 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -31.1%

OH... Is this a beer or is it grapefruit juice? Get me my vodka and we can make a salty dog.

For real, the cascade is really pronounced. From the first wiff when you crack open the bottle all the way to the back of your throat. Even the burps taste and smell of cascade.

I don't taste any malt what-so-ever.
You know they used some because the beer is a honey color.

The thin head remains to the bottom of the glass and laces nicely down the side of the glass.

I have to say this is a totally one sided, unbalanced, glass of hop juice.
You all might like it. (565 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Ranger from New Belgium Brewing pours an Amber Color. Small White Head. The smell is rich with hops. Nothing bad about the small or the color. The taste is ok at first. The after taste is not as good it is bitter. I don't believe I will be getting this brew again. I just can't get over the after taste. This brew was not for me. ..AT ALL. (339 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -30.6%

It pours a pleasant orange blossom honey color with nice lacey foam. A light piney hop aroma is persistant throughout. The taste is a spicey pine bitterness with an earthy subtext with a very acidic mouthfeel. A strong peppermint finishes out after swallowing.

This is a surprisingly strong flavored IPA. Unfortuanately, I don't think it's particulatly well balanced and is strong in areas of taste that I do not particularly care for. So if you really enjoy peppermint and pine, then you should love this one. (511 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -29.8%

Poured this from a 22 oz bomber into a standard pint glass. Had a nice two finger white head and a light, clear golden body. There was very weak aroma of grassy hops and I felt like I could smell some of the malts as well. As for taste goes, I almost forgot that I was drinking an IPA. It was so watery and bland that I almost felt like I was drinking a pale ale. I also noticed that it seems to have that "fat tire" after taste. Not sure if its the malts or yeast that they use. Overall, I drank this very quickly but didn't really enjoy it. I bought it because it was cheap and I was curious, but I would rather pony up a few more bucks for something of higher quality. Have I gotten spoiled with all of the wonderful IPA's available these days? (747 characters)

Ranger from New Belgium Brewing