Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Ranger - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: brownbeer on 12-30-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ranger Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,224 | Hads: 5,436
2.71/5  rDev -29.2%

Poured this from a 22 oz bomber into a standard pint glass. Had a nice two finger white head and a light, clear golden body. There was very weak aroma of grassy hops and I felt like I could smell some of the malts as well. As for taste goes, I almost forgot that I was drinking an IPA. It was so watery and bland that I almost felt like I was drinking a pale ale. I also noticed that it seems to have that "fat tire" after taste. Not sure if its the malts or yeast that they use. Overall, I drank this very quickly but didn't really enjoy it. I bought it because it was cheap and I was curious, but I would rather pony up a few more bucks for something of higher quality. Have I gotten spoiled with all of the wonderful IPA's available these days?

2.74/5  rDev -28.5%

This beer pours a luxurious golden color that is topped off by an enticing thick foam head. The effects of the carbonation that create this creamy white cloud releases an aroma of spicy pine infused undertones that is almost overbearing when drinking. The intense bitterness hits the tongue in a refreshing way, but the after taste of pine almost ruins the experience for me. It is a well crafted beer that almost gets ruined by the intense spicy flavor of pine that I do not find in some of my other favorites IPA's.

2.77/5  rDev -27.7%

Aggressively poured into pint glass...

A: Pours a golden yellow that is crystal clear with a steady stream of bubbles floating upward. A huge four finger white foamy head forms and falls slowly leaving very nice lacing behind.

S: Incredibly lifeless...very faint grapefruit citrus aroma mixed with a little pine and the typical new belgium yeast profile is present.

T: This is pretty weak when it comes to the ipa category, even for a pale ale this is fairly mild. The hops seem very muted and very one note being faint citrus/pine and the yeast profile tastes like everything from else from new belgium. Imagine fat tire with less malt and a dash of hop and you get the ranger. Pretty lackluster for the ipa category.

M: Light medium body with active carbonation, fairly aggressive and balanced with the flavors, leaves that yeast profile lingering as always...

D: Fairly drinkable, maybe i'm just not a huge new belgium fan but this is pretty weak for an ipa all around save for the appearance, had high hopes upon pouring but thats where it ended for this one.

2.78/5  rDev -27.4%

Pours a medium gold with high clarity and a modest head. Looks like a lager. Smell is very resinous. Taste is a hodgepodge meld of pine, resin, lemon, bread, watery. No single offensive flavor but the synchronicity of flavors here is just unbalanced and, frankly, weird. Mouthfeel is a light hops bite up front, followed up by wateriness. Drinkability would be good, except who wants to drink multiple mediocre beers?

Seems like New Belgium was aiming for a crisp, clear IPA with nice light hoppy flavor (a "lagerlike" IPA). Unfortunately, they whiffed on this, I can't help but point to Alaskan IPA for a brewery that really nailed this style.

2.78/5  rDev -27.4%

S: Earthy, cat pee vs swampy?, Piney, resinous, tangerine as it warms

A: Dark yellow, clear, off white fluffy head that fades quickly.

T: Swamp? hops, oily and woody, (tastes like a wet-hop pale ale a bit) bitter resiny finish.

m/D: Thin and oily, little dry finish. Drinkability is pretty good, but only because it's thin, dry, and not overpowering in any flavor.

Overall: Very Odd flavors. They don't really meld well. The bitterness and malt flavor is balanced, but the hop flavors are very strange. I seems to me the "Rangers" whoever they are would be dissapointed.

2.82/5  rDev -26.4%

It was basically your typical IPA. Nothing too exceptional, nothing too out of the ordinary. I had it after having the Mothership Wit, the Somersault and the Fat Tire Amber Ale and I think it was only better than the MW. The biggest plus would be that it tasted clean.

2.85/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

had one of these last night at a restaurant that had limited selection of craft beer....hadnt had one of these since 2010
12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass (with a coors light logo! yay!)
pours copper/gold with minimal head
smell slightly piney
taste piney moderate hops with no real character bubbly
left very bitter aftertaste
pretty bland overall
would prefer not to drink again but not the worst beer i've had

2.85/5  rDev -25.6%

My fears came true with this beer. The flavor profile for Mighty Arrow that changed when the beer went to retail has seemingly resurfaced.
Pours a nice golden color with a fluffy white head that doesn't need an aggressive pour to bring out. Lacing? Yup - got that covered. Looks pretty much perfect to be honest.
The smell is of the wild hops I've seen hiking. I think that's the Simcoe hops or the house yeast that adds its own barnyard character to things. I honestly don't like it.
The flavor's the same. Little to no malt or grain flavors, just that wild citric, funky hop/yeast character over and over in each sip.
The body's fine and I do like the texture, but after ½ bottle of this I'd had more than enough.
This beer tastes very much like the first batch of Mighty Arrow that I got from the brewery a couple years ago. I like their Belgian beers, but I don't care for this one.

2.86/5  rDev -25.3%

My New Belgium snifter is filled 3/4 with golden colored brew with noticable active carbonation and a nice 2 finger foamy head that fills the other 1/4 of the glass. It eventually reduces to a sticky layer of film that rests on top.

The nose is that of citrus/piney and floral hops with a lot of biscuity malt. Also very noticable is the spicy 'vegetable like' smell that I despise.It always reminds me of celery or veggie soup stock. gross!

Too bicuity for my likeing. Pine and citrus hops are strong but this beer lacks character.

Medium light body, neither sticky or oily.

Middle of the road beer, nothing impessive about this one. Way too many other good IPAs to go back to this one. Sorry New Belgium.

2.88/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

On tap

A - clear amber low head with lots of lacing 3.0

S - crystal caramel malts, tons of hops. Ipa like. 2.75

T - sweet vaguely caramel initial tastes and hoppy aromatics. Unremarkable but not unpleasant. 2.75

M - cold malty but bitter and hoppy with a silky finish. 3.25

O - pleasant but overly hoppy. A weak ipa. Wish I could say more. 2.75

2.88/5  rDev -24.8%

Pours blonde with crystal clarity, good white poofy head.

Aroma is citrus and light, pretty nice.

Flavor start out nice for about half a second and switches into this weird dirty hop flavor, aftertaste is just not good, dirty old hop flavors stick, in the mouth. For such a promising start this thing really falls off a cliff.

2.92/5  rDev -23.8%

Poured into a tulip pint glass.

A: Golden yellow and crystal clear. Nice, bright white head that dwindles to a lace. Great lacing down the sides.

S: Some fruitiness, faint tones of pine and citrus fruits. Light honey sweetness. Really not aromatic at all.

T: More of that fruitiness that blends well with the hop varieties. The hops are grapefruity with a hint of orange. Some piney bitterness in the end. The hop flavors are really very subdued, but the bitterness is pretty strong. Kind of odd. I would like some more hoppy flavor rather than bitterness. The bitterness is clean, but a bit heavy for the hoppy flavors. Malts add a light caramel sweetness with maybe a touch of bread.

M: Light bodied. Clean tasting. Great carbonation.

D: An average IPA at best. There is nothing glaringly bad about it, but it really lags behind many of the other great IPAs in flavor and aroma. I won't be buying this again, but wouldn't turn it away if I was offered one.

2.93/5  rDev -23.5%

22 oz bottle, dated 7/9/10 (best by?). Pours a clear light yellow orange with a frothy white head that quickly goes to a thin film that leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is biscuity malts with some spicy piney fruity hops that are slightly stinky.

The flavor is some biscuity malts with a decent amount of hops - peppery, floral and slightly fruity. The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with low but sharp carbonation.

Overall, an OK IPA - it's nice to see one from NB. It's pretty mild in terms of alcohol and bitterness. I really don't care for the biscuit notes in many of New Belgium's beers. I'm not really digging the hop flavors either. More fruitiness or resin would be good for me.

2.94/5  rDev -23.2%

A: Very nice light orange color, white head leaving thin lacing.

S: Almost no smell

T: Tastes dry, slightly pine, overpowered citrus notes

M: Great texture, smooth to drink, light carbonation

O: Better than their Rampage, but not a great IPA. I don't think I'll be buying many New Belgium brews; no great hits for me.

2.94/5  rDev -23.2%

Amber color, off white head.
Smell is of some spice and freshly cut wood.
I taste too much "firewood" in this one. There is faint citrus, but I'm just tasting too much pine here. I give an average rating for taste because in spite of my criticisms, it still tastes better than your average swill.
The mouthfeel and drinkability follow suit. Now that I've tried it, I can say, BTDT. At $4 for a bomber, I won't be trying this one anytime soon. I still would grab this one in favor of many choices out there, but as an IPA it is not one of my favorites.

2.95/5  rDev -23%

Appearance- Clear light orange color with a very white cloudy head. Lots of lacing left on the side of the glass. 4/5

Smell- Great, easy pine smell with a bit of tropical fruits. 4/5

Taste- Right up front here is a tanginess to it that I can't decided if it is pleasant or not. Grassy and piney hops with a small blast of malt in the end. 2.5/5

Mouthfeel- A little on the thin side (I can't believe I am saying that). 2.5/5

Overall- When this first came out I loved it to the point that I thought I found my one and only go-to beer and the one beer I would constantly keep in the fridge. No such luck any more. I would like to blame it on my palate, but... It still could very well be. I remember it having more of a malt backbone (more of a mouthfeel) and no tanginess. Sorry NB. I meant every word at the time I emailed you, though. 2.5/5

2.95/5  rDev -23%

12fl oz bottle poured into my pint glass

Pours a very light copper color with a frothy two inch slightly off-white head. Great head retention that subsides slowly but always leaving a nice layer on top afloat of the beer. Sticky lacing clings to the sides of my glass.

Smell consisted of light citrus fruits that of peaches, grapefruit, apricots, and some floral earth type smells. Malts can be smelled behind the hops.

The hops must have been for aroma, cause it barely showed up in the taste. I barely get any citrus flavor at all, but the pine needle bitterness really shows. This leads to some toffee like malts. Pretty one dimensional with just bitterness and malts.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied(bordering thin though, kinda watery)with high carbonation tickling your tongue. Bitterness follows through after you have taken your sip.

Pretty disappointed with this one. Really weak IPA, I would barely consider this a Pale Ale if even.

2.98/5  rDev -22.2%

A- huge white foamy head. Crystal clear golden amber color. A satisfying looking beer. Just a huge head that leaves complex lacing all the way down.

S- Clean, floral hops nose. Very fresh and aromatic; citrusy sweetness, grapes, sticky pine resin, and something else I can't put my finger on. First thought is of rice or somesort of cheaper grain. Rotten grass or something. Strong aroma up the middle, falls off at the edges. Seriously, I smell something rotten or moldy

T- Rush of strong hops that gradually mellows out. Lots of hops tastes, resin, pine, acidic fruits. Some malt sweetness pokes it's head out in the middle, but this largely very hoppy and bitter. The aftertaste, while not sticky, is quite bitter as well. Not my cup of tea here.

M- Medium light body with a certain chewiness to it. Not much carbonation.

D- For me, I can't drink a whole one. Too too too much sticky bitterness, not for me.

2.98/5  rDev -22.2%

330 ml in a snifter

copper color, very very clear, heavily filtered i'm guessing, a tad malty, not overwhelmingly hoppy (pretty mild really)

oddly resinous, decent nose but there's an odd thick subtly cheesy note pleasant, not too much else to say, an okay IPA but by no means great.

decent lacing i think i see the island of japan on my glass

overall sculpin all the way it may cost a tad more but it's better

2.99/5  rDev -21.9%

First off you will notice the extreme hops smell. I have never had a beer before that tasted like pure hops. The aroma is better than the taste. It is like drinking a bottle of hay and oats and unprocessed barley. Not an everyday beer, and definitely not fr everyone.

This was my first experience with IPA's I have to admit I was inexperienced when I gave this beer its first assessment. It was not a fair assessment. A friend of mine told me to keep on trying IPA's, and I did. I came back to Ranger and found that I did like it better than the original assessment, but it is still not the best. The mouth feel is nice, but and the smell is standard of an IPA, but I found the taste unbalanced. It is all hops, and that's it. Perhaps they could take a page from DogFish.

Original assessment:
I love New Belgium Brewing products, but this was hard to swallow. The smell was very hoppy with a hint of mid-eastern spices. I also smelled something like a desert weed. The taste was not like it smelled. It tasted like grass brewed in hairspray. I was very disappointed. This was my first IPA and I will have to say it will take a lot of courage to try another. Maybe I will have to grow my pallet for this style of beer. I will try some more and if my taste for IPA changes, I may revise this review. Otherwise I cannot say that I like it at this time.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Super clear gold color with a decent amount of white fluffy head. A little surprised that it is this light golden of a color. Lots of lacing. Tons of tiny little bubbles stuck to the sides.

S: Grass. Hops. Smells very fresh.

T: Grass, hops, grass. Somewhat of a bitter twang near the end. No fruity or citrus hop flavor at all. Can't taste any malt. Decent dry finish though.

M: Light body. Pretty thin mouthfeel.

D: Its okay, I guess. Something about it makes me want to take another sip right away, but I can't really see drinking more than one or two in a sitting. Actually, the more I drink this beer, the less I want of it.

Poured a double deuce into my Dogfish Head snifter. This beer pours an oily copper with just a slight head that leaves a soap scum like lacing down the sides of the glass. This isn't a very pretty beer. Looking down into the glass, it reminds me of extra virgin olive oil sitting on water. The nose is rather unhoppy for its 70 IBU's. Lemon rind, grapefruit and grassy hops come through with just slight bit of toast. Also at the very tail of the aroma is a smell that I can only describe as earthy. The flavor is a bit more hoppy then the aroma but is still toned down from what I expect from an American IPA. Lemon rind, grapefruit, just a bit of pine. White bread and just a little medicinal bitterness at the tail. The mouthfeel is very light and for as oily as its appearance is, it really doesn't coat the mouth in hop bitterness like many of the best American IPA's. The drinkability is about average. I would grab this at a bar that had a pretty crappy selection but if it was Ranger or Boulevard Singlewide, I would take the Singlewide any day.

Very light orange (urine) appearance. Full white fluffy head. Great lacing.

Light, very, very light. earthy, dirty, latex...?

Watery, thin, missing much complexities. Bitterness is very mild and doesn't stand out. This brew is awkwardy light and too relaxed. For sessionable, it's nailed and spot on. For a top tier IPA it's near the bottom. Not memorable.

A very "safe" IPA, there's nothing challenging about this beer. It's run-of-the-mill, IMO. It could be a nice canned option, but for a couch time IPA, it just doesn't fit into my schedule. I want better from NB!!!! Not sure I can purchase again.

Draft. Clear golden orange color, slight white head. Aroma of subtle hops. Taste is slight bitterness not overly bitter. Very little lacing. Lingering on bitter. Decent but nothing spectacular. Decently balanced. Light/medium mouthfeel. A good choice if there is nothing else to be had on tap.

Ranger from New Belgium Brewing