Follow our progress ...

Style: American IPA

Added by brownbeer on 12-30-2009

Reviews: 1,293 | Ratings: 5,810
2.63/5  rDev -31.3%

Poured from a brown bottle into a pub glass. The pour produces a 2 inch white frothy head. Receding to leave a thin cap with sticky lace drageape. Color is a darker golden yellow. The ultra filtered look is not very appealing. Its crystal clear, like food coloring in water.

Aroma is a bit weak for the style, hops do not jump out in the traditional american ipa fashion. There are some jucy hop aromas, but they are very subdued. No malt aroma, some mild sweet butter, and a touch of fruity hops.

Taste is also quite thin, hops are better here, but flavors are subdued and almost watered down in taste and mouthfeel. I cannot understand how this was dubbed an american ipa, because it is not. Now had it been labled an epa, or pale ale, I would have likely given it an A. Mouthfeel is thin and water, some carbonation present.

Taste has some more mango fruit forward hop flavors and there is some mild malt sweetness coming forward.

All in all, go ahead and avoid this one if you are looking for smashing hops and a full flavored thicker brew.
Not pleased.

2.66/5  rDev -30.5%

OH... Is this a beer or is it grapefruit juice? Get me my vodka and we can make a salty dog.

For real, the cascade is really pronounced. From the first wiff when you crack open the bottle all the way to the back of your throat. Even the burps taste and smell of cascade.

I don't taste any malt what-so-ever.
You know they used some because the beer is a honey color.

The thin head remains to the bottom of the glass and laces nicely down the side of the glass.

I have to say this is a totally one sided, unbalanced, glass of hop juice.
You all might like it.

2.68/5  rDev -30%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Ranger from New Belgium Brewing pours an Amber Color. Small White Head. The smell is rich with hops. Nothing bad about the small or the color. The taste is ok at first. The after taste is not as good it is bitter. I don't believe I will be getting this brew again. I just can't get over the after taste. This brew was not for me. ..AT ALL.

2.68/5  rDev -30%

It pours a pleasant orange blossom honey color with nice lacey foam. A light piney hop aroma is persistant throughout. The taste is a spicey pine bitterness with an earthy subtext with a very acidic mouthfeel. A strong peppermint finishes out after swallowing.

This is a surprisingly strong flavored IPA. Unfortuanately, I don't think it's particulatly well balanced and is strong in areas of taste that I do not particularly care for. So if you really enjoy peppermint and pine, then you should love this one.

2.69/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Pleasant aroma, smells of ripe fruit, fresh spring air. Unfortunately it just smells weak, tastes weak and feels weak. The carbonation, or lack thereof, just finishes off my dislike of this one. I bought this to take a break from some of my home-brew IPA's I found to be a tad bit weak, and was greeted with a worse tasting, weaker brew.

After a second taste I like this even less, the flavor is not only weak, it's just not very good.

And a third taste, I asked a bar keep for an ipa and he poured it without a word. One sip, and I said this is New Belgium's ranger isn't it? He smiled. I shook my head and walked away. It loses another quarter point.

2.71/5  rDev -29.2%

Poured this from a 22 oz bomber into a standard pint glass. Had a nice two finger white head and a light, clear golden body. There was very weak aroma of grassy hops and I felt like I could smell some of the malts as well. As for taste goes, I almost forgot that I was drinking an IPA. It was so watery and bland that I almost felt like I was drinking a pale ale. I also noticed that it seems to have that "fat tire" after taste. Not sure if its the malts or yeast that they use. Overall, I drank this very quickly but didn't really enjoy it. I bought it because it was cheap and I was curious, but I would rather pony up a few more bucks for something of higher quality. Have I gotten spoiled with all of the wonderful IPA's available these days?

2.74/5  rDev -28.5%

This beer pours a luxurious golden color that is topped off by an enticing thick foam head. The effects of the carbonation that create this creamy white cloud releases an aroma of spicy pine infused undertones that is almost overbearing when drinking. The intense bitterness hits the tongue in a refreshing way, but the after taste of pine almost ruins the experience for me. It is a well crafted beer that almost gets ruined by the intense spicy flavor of pine that I do not find in some of my other favorites IPA's.

2.77/5  rDev -27.7%

Aggressively poured into pint glass...

A: Pours a golden yellow that is crystal clear with a steady stream of bubbles floating upward. A huge four finger white foamy head forms and falls slowly leaving very nice lacing behind.

S: Incredibly lifeless...very faint grapefruit citrus aroma mixed with a little pine and the typical new belgium yeast profile is present.

T: This is pretty weak when it comes to the ipa category, even for a pale ale this is fairly mild. The hops seem very muted and very one note being faint citrus/pine and the yeast profile tastes like everything from else from new belgium. Imagine fat tire with less malt and a dash of hop and you get the ranger. Pretty lackluster for the ipa category.

M: Light medium body with active carbonation, fairly aggressive and balanced with the flavors, leaves that yeast profile lingering as always...

D: Fairly drinkable, maybe i'm just not a huge new belgium fan but this is pretty weak for an ipa all around save for the appearance, had high hopes upon pouring but thats where it ended for this one.

2.78/5  rDev -27.4%

Pours a medium gold with high clarity and a modest head. Looks like a lager. Smell is very resinous. Taste is a hodgepodge meld of pine, resin, lemon, bread, watery. No single offensive flavor but the synchronicity of flavors here is just unbalanced and, frankly, weird. Mouthfeel is a light hops bite up front, followed up by wateriness. Drinkability would be good, except who wants to drink multiple mediocre beers?

Seems like New Belgium was aiming for a crisp, clear IPA with nice light hoppy flavor (a "lagerlike" IPA). Unfortunately, they whiffed on this, I can't help but point to Alaskan IPA for a brewery that really nailed this style.

2.78/5  rDev -27.4%

S: Earthy, cat pee vs swampy?, Piney, resinous, tangerine as it warms

A: Dark yellow, clear, off white fluffy head that fades quickly.

T: Swamp? hops, oily and woody, (tastes like a wet-hop pale ale a bit) bitter resiny finish.

m/D: Thin and oily, little dry finish. Drinkability is pretty good, but only because it's thin, dry, and not overpowering in any flavor.

Overall: Very Odd flavors. They don't really meld well. The bitterness and malt flavor is balanced, but the hop flavors are very strange. I seems to me the "Rangers" whoever they are would be dissapointed.

2.82/5  rDev -26.4%

It was basically your typical IPA. Nothing too exceptional, nothing too out of the ordinary. I had it after having the Mothership Wit, the Somersault and the Fat Tire Amber Ale and I think it was only better than the MW. The biggest plus would be that it tasted clean.

2.85/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

meh!
had one of these last night at a restaurant that had limited selection of craft beer....hadnt had one of these since 2010
12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass (with a coors light logo! yay!)
pours copper/gold with minimal head
smell slightly piney
taste piney moderate hops with no real character bubbly
left very bitter aftertaste
pretty bland overall
would prefer not to drink again but not the worst beer i've had

2.85/5  rDev -25.6%

My fears came true with this beer. The flavor profile for Mighty Arrow that changed when the beer went to retail has seemingly resurfaced.
Pours a nice golden color with a fluffy white head that doesn't need an aggressive pour to bring out. Lacing? Yup - got that covered. Looks pretty much perfect to be honest.
The smell is of the wild hops I've seen hiking. I think that's the Simcoe hops or the house yeast that adds its own barnyard character to things. I honestly don't like it.
The flavor's the same. Little to no malt or grain flavors, just that wild citric, funky hop/yeast character over and over in each sip.
The body's fine and I do like the texture, but after ½ bottle of this I'd had more than enough.
This beer tastes very much like the first batch of Mighty Arrow that I got from the brewery a couple years ago. I like their Belgian beers, but I don't care for this one.

2.86/5  rDev -25.3%

My New Belgium snifter is filled 3/4 with golden colored brew with noticable active carbonation and a nice 2 finger foamy head that fills the other 1/4 of the glass. It eventually reduces to a sticky layer of film that rests on top.

The nose is that of citrus/piney and floral hops with a lot of biscuity malt. Also very noticable is the spicy 'vegetable like' smell that I despise.It always reminds me of celery or veggie soup stock. gross!

Too bicuity for my likeing. Pine and citrus hops are strong but this beer lacks character.

Medium light body, neither sticky or oily.

Middle of the road beer, nothing impessive about this one. Way too many other good IPAs to go back to this one. Sorry New Belgium.

2.88/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

On tap

A - clear amber low head with lots of lacing 3.0

S - crystal caramel malts, tons of hops. Ipa like. 2.75

T - sweet vaguely caramel initial tastes and hoppy aromatics. Unremarkable but not unpleasant. 2.75

M - cold malty but bitter and hoppy with a silky finish. 3.25

O - pleasant but overly hoppy. A weak ipa. Wish I could say more. 2.75

2.88/5  rDev -24.8%

Pours blonde with crystal clarity, good white poofy head.

Aroma is citrus and light, pretty nice.

Flavor start out nice for about half a second and switches into this weird dirty hop flavor, aftertaste is just not good, dirty old hop flavors stick, in the mouth. For such a promising start this thing really falls off a cliff.

2.92/5  rDev -23.8%

Poured into a tulip pint glass.

A: Golden yellow and crystal clear. Nice, bright white head that dwindles to a lace. Great lacing down the sides.

S: Some fruitiness, faint tones of pine and citrus fruits. Light honey sweetness. Really not aromatic at all.

T: More of that fruitiness that blends well with the hop varieties. The hops are grapefruity with a hint of orange. Some piney bitterness in the end. The hop flavors are really very subdued, but the bitterness is pretty strong. Kind of odd. I would like some more hoppy flavor rather than bitterness. The bitterness is clean, but a bit heavy for the hoppy flavors. Malts add a light caramel sweetness with maybe a touch of bread.

M: Light bodied. Clean tasting. Great carbonation.

D: An average IPA at best. There is nothing glaringly bad about it, but it really lags behind many of the other great IPAs in flavor and aroma. I won't be buying this again, but wouldn't turn it away if I was offered one.

2.93/5  rDev -23.5%

22 oz bottle, dated 7/9/10 (best by?). Pours a clear light yellow orange with a frothy white head that quickly goes to a thin film that leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is biscuity malts with some spicy piney fruity hops that are slightly stinky.

The flavor is some biscuity malts with a decent amount of hops - peppery, floral and slightly fruity. The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with low but sharp carbonation.

Overall, an OK IPA - it's nice to see one from NB. It's pretty mild in terms of alcohol and bitterness. I really don't care for the biscuit notes in many of New Belgium's beers. I'm not really digging the hop flavors either. More fruitiness or resin would be good for me.

2.94/5  rDev -23.2%

A: Very nice light orange color, white head leaving thin lacing.

S: Almost no smell

T: Tastes dry, slightly pine, overpowered citrus notes

M: Great texture, smooth to drink, light carbonation

O: Better than their Rampage, but not a great IPA. I don't think I'll be buying many New Belgium brews; no great hits for me.

2.94/5  rDev -23.2%

Amber color, off white head.
Smell is of some spice and freshly cut wood.
I taste too much "firewood" in this one. There is faint citrus, but I'm just tasting too much pine here. I give an average rating for taste because in spite of my criticisms, it still tastes better than your average swill.
The mouthfeel and drinkability follow suit. Now that I've tried it, I can say, BTDT. At $4 for a bomber, I won't be trying this one anytime soon. I still would grab this one in favor of many choices out there, but as an IPA it is not one of my favorites.

2.95/5  rDev -23%

Appearance- Clear light orange color with a very white cloudy head. Lots of lacing left on the side of the glass. 4/5

Smell- Great, easy pine smell with a bit of tropical fruits. 4/5

Taste- Right up front here is a tanginess to it that I can't decided if it is pleasant or not. Grassy and piney hops with a small blast of malt in the end. 2.5/5

Mouthfeel- A little on the thin side (I can't believe I am saying that). 2.5/5

Overall- When this first came out I loved it to the point that I thought I found my one and only go-to beer and the one beer I would constantly keep in the fridge. No such luck any more. I would like to blame it on my palate, but... It still could very well be. I remember it having more of a malt backbone (more of a mouthfeel) and no tanginess. Sorry NB. I meant every word at the time I emailed you, though. 2.5/5

2.95/5  rDev -23%

12fl oz bottle poured into my pint glass

Pours a very light copper color with a frothy two inch slightly off-white head. Great head retention that subsides slowly but always leaving a nice layer on top afloat of the beer. Sticky lacing clings to the sides of my glass.

Smell consisted of light citrus fruits that of peaches, grapefruit, apricots, and some floral earth type smells. Malts can be smelled behind the hops.

The hops must have been for aroma, cause it barely showed up in the taste. I barely get any citrus flavor at all, but the pine needle bitterness really shows. This leads to some toffee like malts. Pretty one dimensional with just bitterness and malts.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied(bordering thin though, kinda watery)with high carbonation tickling your tongue. Bitterness follows through after you have taken your sip.

Pretty disappointed with this one. Really weak IPA, I would barely consider this a Pale Ale if even.

2.98/5  rDev -22.2%

A- huge white foamy head. Crystal clear golden amber color. A satisfying looking beer. Just a huge head that leaves complex lacing all the way down.

S- Clean, floral hops nose. Very fresh and aromatic; citrusy sweetness, grapes, sticky pine resin, and something else I can't put my finger on. First thought is of rice or somesort of cheaper grain. Rotten grass or something. Strong aroma up the middle, falls off at the edges. Seriously, I smell something rotten or moldy

T- Rush of strong hops that gradually mellows out. Lots of hops tastes, resin, pine, acidic fruits. Some malt sweetness pokes it's head out in the middle, but this largely very hoppy and bitter. The aftertaste, while not sticky, is quite bitter as well. Not my cup of tea here.

M- Medium light body with a certain chewiness to it. Not much carbonation.

D- For me, I can't drink a whole one. Too too too much sticky bitterness, not for me.

2.98/5  rDev -22.2%

330 ml in a snifter

copper color, very very clear, heavily filtered i'm guessing, a tad malty, not overwhelmingly hoppy (pretty mild really)

oddly resinous, decent nose but there's an odd thick subtly cheesy note present, not too much else to say, an okay IPA but by no means great.

decent lacing i think i see the island of japan on my glass

overall sculpin all the way it may cost a tad more but it's better

2.99/5  rDev -21.9%

First off you will notice the extreme hops smell. I have never had a beer before that tasted like pure hops. The aroma is better than the taste. It is like drinking a bottle of hay and oats and unprocessed barley. Not an everyday beer, and definitely not fr everyone.

Ranger from New Belgium Brewing