Follow our progress ...

Style: American IPA

Added by brownbeer on 12-30-2009

Reviews: 1,292 | Ratings: 5,807
4.35/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Good IPA. I've seen this one around and finally picked it up in Virginia at a Food Lion. Decent carbonation, very hoppy, but not too much. Smooth finish. All around a good beer.

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a clear pale orange-yellow with a 15mm white head. Head retention is moderate, with good lacing. Especially early in the glass. Wonderful hop aromas right off the bat, with notes of pine, citrus, and resin. Flavor profile is bitter with notes of pine and resin right off the front. More subtle biscuit malts and citrus along the back. Mouth feel is harsh, with a medium consistency. Overall, it's an alright brew. The hop notes in the aroma are pleasant, while the flavor doesn't quite deliver the same oomph. A nice, tasty IPA that leans bitter.

Served in a 12oz snifter.

3.92/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A-Darker, but still clear golden color with a very thin head and lots of lacing.

S-Fruity is the first scent followed by sweet caramel and pine.

T-Very mild bitterness at 70 IBUs. A piney hop flavor mixed with caramel malts.

M-Sharp and appropriately carbonated. Very drinkable.

O-This is the first IPA that I've genuinely enjoyed. The 6.5% is an added bonus that will help to get the job done since you can't just have one of these.

3.71/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Comes out a golden hearty color, 1/4" white head. Nice dry hop aroma, seems like it has some simcoe going for it, maybe even some amarillo.

Taste offers a light body and good hop mouthfeel without being overly alcohol or over the top bitterness wise. These do age fast though and will take on some maltier woodsy dimensions with time. Good stuff, consistently done well.

Big, tacky pine resin aromas and flavors in this 6.5% IPA make it taste bigger than it is. Shellacs the tongue with bitterness. A sticky, dank, drenched-in-pine kinda beer. I really dug it. Great aftertaste...

3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

First IPA I've tried that didn't repel me due to the sheer amount of bitterness from the hops. This is coming from someone trying to get into beer.
The rest of this reveiw is for me alone, so take the rest of it with with a grain of salt, because I'm not as avid in describing flavors and whatnot as all the other reviewers on this site.

- Again, the bitterness is not off-putting for someone new to beer. The aftertaste given pushes a just-about medium sized bitterness, which is pleasant in contrast to the aftertaste I experienced after trying a russian imperial stout that sat at 75 IBUs. I was surprised that the Ranger, which sits at 70 IBUs, could still taste tolerably with just a 5 IBU difference. Idk, but just for me to catalog, apparently either a 5 IBU difference is a huge difference, for me to tolerate, or New Belgium is skilled enough to make this IPA suitable for my palate, OR, as a starting point, maybe I can really just tolerate 70 IBUs as my threshold.
- It has a very floral type of feel, with an accent of citrus, which I personally like.
- Goes down easy I guess, smooth.

4.09/5  rDev +6.8%

I am a big fan of this brewery. Fat tire is a go to now that it got a big push in ny. The ranger is a very good ipa. Perfect even in summer. The bouquet could be stronger but the taste and back end, more than make up for any issues. Big fan. Keep brewing great beers and thanks for coming to ny.

4.03/5  rDev +5.2%

355ml bottle poured into tulip.

Pours a clear golden yellow with two fingers of sudsy white head that leaves roiling sea foam lace as it recedes.

Smells of forest earth and pine needles, citrus rind, soft caramel and dank resiny hops.

Tastes of bright mixed citrus rind (lemon, grapefruit), pine sap, more mild caramel malt and further earthy, piney hops.

Feels soft and satisfying. Medium bodied with gentle carbonation. Finishes dry.

Verdict: Highly recommended. Very solid.

3.83/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Nice brownish gold beer with a fairly respectable white head that leaves some lacing on the glass. Nose of oily hops, also some slightly floral notes. Taste emphasizes hops and is true to style. Broadens some and has obvious solid malt backbone beneath the hops. The flavor seems to end with less than balance or integration than it might, but this is still a pretty good IPA. Mouthfeel slightly slick and numb.

2.69/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Pleasant aroma, smells of ripe fruit, fresh spring air. Unfortunately it just smells weak, tastes weak and feels weak. The carbonation, or lack thereof, just finishes off my dislike of this one. I bought this to take a break from some of my home-brew IPA's I found to be a tad bit weak, and was greeted with a worse tasting, weaker brew.

After a second taste I like this even less, the flavor is not only weak, it's just not very good.

And a third taste, I asked a bar keep for an ipa and he poured it without a word. One sip, and I said this is New Belgium's ranger isn't it? He smiled. I shook my head and walked away. It loses another quarter point.

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Clear Golden straw color w white head. Piney tropical citrus aroma. Nice sweet caramel malt backbone. Smooth mouth feel, lower carbonation w dry piney finish.

3.98/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle served just above fridge temperature into a pint glass. Purchased while visiting in the US. Best before September 4, 2016. Math for pricing this is well... what the hell is the exchange rate currently. Let's put it at reasonably priced.

Appearance - Pours a brilliant, clear, light copper color. Lots of bubbles and a nice little three quarter finger white head rests on top. Good retention and some sparse lacing left around the glass.

Smell - Plenty of hops, mostly earthy with little bits of piney aromas as well as a hint of some citrus, orange, lemon and lime seem to be the big contributors.

Taste - Similar to the nose, some pine adn earthiness with little amounts of sour citrus. There is an malty, crackery undercurrent more pronounced in this IPA than with many others. Probably do to less extreme hop flavors and also a stronger malt backbone. Nice, refreshing and quite balanced.

Mouthfeel - Carbonation is moderate but more prickly than other IPA's body is soft and light, really easy to throw back a couple.

Overall - An impressive, if different IPA in that with all the current emphasis of loads of hops, turbid orange juice-like concoctions, it's nice to kick back with something that isn't as bold, but drinks really well. Range is a sessionable IPA without being a session IPA, I'm certainly glad to have picked up a whole six-pack.

3.86/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz bttl into BL glass
bb 6/19/2016
L- pours a clear amber, with fluffy white head that wants to stay, leaves lacing
S- pine and citrus jumps out at you, together with some sweet malt
T- piney, followed by sweet malt and a strong citrus-sy finish
F- light-medium bodied, crisply carbonated
O- a balanced beer, a little too high Abv (6.5%) to be session-able, but still drinkable and gives over the hop very nicely, particularly in the nose

4.1/5  rDev +7%

Pours a clear golden color with a moderately large foam head that soon recedes into a semi thick lace. It thins out as the drink progresses, nevertheless, it retains well.
The smell is dominated by hops aromas; grapefruit, pine, herbal and slightly dank along with tropical fruit aromas. There is however, a hint of caramel and toasted malt.
The taste is initially drier on the palate and less juicy than the aroma suggests. At first it feels like a clean, light bodied and hops forward brew. The hops are piny, moderately bitter and leave an aftertaste that lingers and leaves a bitter herbal feel. However, as the drink progresses, some of the fruity flavors, especially grapefruit come out, as well as the sweetness from the caramel malt. The body is medium but, as mentioned before, can feel light due to its drinkability. The carbonation is soft but effective.
I really liked this one. At 6.5% ABV, it is quaffable and very refreshing. It packs a nice hops punch without being overwhelming.

Bottle poured into glass stein.
A-Translucent gold, big foamy head, nice sheets of lace.
S-Sweet fruit, lemon, yeasty, bread, a bit of floral.
T-Mildly bitter grapefruit & lemon contrasting quickly with notes of sweet malt, yeast roll.
M-Light to moderate carbonation, light body, almost watery, slight astringency.
O-Not as big a bitter as I like in an IPA but still I appreciate the complexity of the sweetness blended into it. I really like the nice bitter after taste that has some staying power.

4.78/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A true hoppy American IPA. Not as intense as one would immediately think by the look or even the smell of it, but it indeed stands on it's own in a world currently mad about IPAs. An overall fantastic ale.

4.04/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Appearance: bright gold and clear, with a head that borders on suds but is compact enough to last about three or four minutes, dissipating just in time for my first sip. Carbonation is lackluster but is more than enough to keep it from feeling flat.

Smell: very bright, a lot of lemongrass. I sort of get a sweet bread smell as well. This beer is kind of 50/50 on the hops/malt ratio as far as smell goes but it's not bad at all.

Taste: very crisp, it's got some really good fruity and green flavor, and it's actually rather bitter for a New Belgium product. If it didn't have these flavors to balance it, I would probably be complaining about how the malty flavors were just a little too intense for me. But they weren't, so I won't.

Feel: clean and dry at first, and light. After a little while it starts to sour on the tongue and get too bready. Kind of leaves a film on the teeth after a while, so I'm knocking off some points for this. Probably they should cut the sugar just a tad.

Overall: this is an okay offering from New Belgium. If I saw it on tap somewhere, I'd probably have myself a glass or two. However, I think they should try to take some of that bready flavor out, because it borders on overpowering once you get to know the beer a little. I'd still drink it, though.

To good health and good beer.

3.98/5  rDev +3.9%

poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. best by July 10th 2016. Kudos for the clear freshness dating.

looks pretty good on the pour. clear golden yellow body with a small white head which dissipates to a solid ring with a faint covering. carbonation is moderate. leaves some pretty good lacing.

not getting much on the nose at all. some faint sweetness and a passing whiff of hops.

but hey, this tastes pretty good. solid hop bite with a pleasing wash of sweetness. might be one of the cleanest tasting beers i've ever had.

mouth is toward the thin side, and finish is very clean.

overall, really enjoyed this one. i see the ratings for Ranger are all over the place. maybe a freshness/poor storage issue, or perhaps it's just one of those love/hate beers. i give it a solid thumbs up. cheers!

2.51/5  rDev -34.5%

This one is not my cup of IPA. I am not sure if it is the grain bill or the yeast that gives it a sweaty, underarm nose but I smell a lot of things before I smell hops and that ain't IPA material to me. There seems to be a general dismissal of Chico (California Ale) yeast these days as being boring or simple and a crutch to the brewers that use it. And as a brewer myself, I agree that there are yeasts that can provide more complex flavors in a a beer but if you are going to brew an American IPA, I think you have to be careful with those slightly out-of-the-box flavors. Maybe that's just me but anything that keeps the hops from shining through in an IPA...use it in a different beer style. Deschutes doesn't make any bad beers but their Red Chair misses the mark for me for just those reasons. Simply put, Ranger is one of the worst IPA I have had. Maybe I just don't get what must be an attempt at a Belgian Fusion IPA. Luckily for New Belgium, I have tried some Shiner stabs at IPAs and that bumped them up a bit on my list!

4.02/5  rDev +5%

Gold (4) with thick whit head; deep, long lasting cap; excellent clarity and heavy lacing. Lemon grass nose. Lemon zest and light caramel malt flavors. Medium lite mouthfeel and moderate plus carbonation. Lite bitter lite bitter linger.

3.78/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From a bottle, pours an incredibly clear deep gold. A finger of dense white head leaves lots of lacing. Smell is primarily piney and some backing malt. Taste is the same, with a pleasant lingering bitterness. Nice IPA, definitely enjoyable.

3.54/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

2016, Pours a slightly cloudy, peach orange golden color with a thick white frothy head. There seems to be good carbonation and quite a bit of lacing. The odor for me is citrus, mandarin, grapefruit, orange, pineapple, slight tropical fruits, mango, guava, resin, pine, bread like, onion. The taste for me is citrus grapefruit, pine, resin, dank, onion, herbal, grassy. Very bitter throughout, dry herbal aftertaste.

3.83/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Beer pours a clear amber. Smell of floral hops and citrus notes. Taste follows through with a punch of citrus up front that transitions to a nice well balanced bitterness. The beer is a bit on the thin side, however the body does help move the flavors along extremely well. A well executed, easily accessible IPA.

Let me put this gently...All these rating categories do nothing for me. I filled a number because it is required, and there is not a zero I could have given this beer. I cannot smell any difference from one beer to another. My only rating criteria is "I like it or I do not like it." I find some beers are worth more than one, others are not. Ranger IPA is one of the "nots." I had one and found it to be whimpy at best, lacked bite, lacked flavor with little or no character. Now perhaps some folks are far more advance in beer tastes than I, but I know what beers are good to me. Ranger is not a good IPA.

4.11/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

This is one bold brew proudly wearing hop colors on it's sleeve. Clean, clear, light gold shimmering color that just screams refreshment. Hops up front, hops in the middle, hops in the finish, there's some malt in the middle but just enough to speak before politely receding into the background.

If one is in the mood for hop forward refreshment this might just fill the bill.

Ranger from New Belgium Brewing