Ranger - New Belgium Brewing

Ranger
No picture uploaded.

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: brownbeer on 12-30-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ranger Alström Bros
4.26/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.96/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

My last bottle of this one from the Folly pack. Poured into a standard pint glass right out of the fridge as my leftover pizza was reheating in the microwave.

Like all of New Belgium's beers I've had so far, this is a nice-looking beer. Dark golden color, mostly clear with those little upward-streaming bubbles. A good bit of head, too, even though I took care not to pour too fast. White and bubbly, hangs around a bit before shrinking into a thin layer on top. Like the Abbey dubbel from the same brewery, the head leaves a good bit of a bubbly trail behind as you drink.

Smells, well, completely different than I ever thought a beer could smell before I tried my first one! Absolutely no "standard beer smell" here--it's like pine needles and some sort of fruit I can't quite identify. Maybe not quite like pine, more like some other similar tree... but definitely a coniferous needle tree smell.

Taste is similar, but way more pine than fruit (though the fruit is what I taste more of when I burp.) Seems to wipe all other flavors from my tongue as it goes, even spicy peppers and pizza. Interestingly, I'm actually tasting juuuust a bit of a bready malt flavor sometimes now, though the piney hops are definitely the dominant flavor here. I'm not sure if that's the influence of food bringing it out more, or if my taste buds aren't quite as overwhelmed by the hops as when I first tried this... but either way, I'm enjoying this one more than my first (and the first wasn't bad, just strong.) It's definitely more noticeably bitter than any other beer I've had (including the Rampant imperial IPA, interestingly!), getting almost a little overwhelmingly so as I get toward the bottom of the glass, but I imagine at 70 IBUs it'd be strange if it wasn't at least a bit on the bitter side. I just wish the fruitiness I smelled here was more apparent in the taste, rather than the piney flavor overpowering it.

Feels pretty nice, especially on the first few sips. It's fizzy but doesn't feel harsh because of it--almost the opposite, the fizziness actually seems to add something.

Overall... I have a hard time rating this because it's just so different from other beers I've had that it's hard to make a comparison, but it's been a pretty enjoyable experience both times I've had it and works pretty well with food. This beer has taught me that IPAs aren't something to fear, even as a fairly new beer drinker who'd never had anything with more than 23 IBUs previously. (though trying one or two bottles/glasses first rather than going for a full six-pack would probably be wise if ypu've never had an IPA before.) I do think I'll probably make my next "hoppy" beer something a bit milder like a pale ale or a pilsner rather than another IPA, though--I'm just not quite used to such strong hop flavors and bitterness yet.

3.65/5  rDev -2.9%

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.38/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

I take Sam Adams Rebel over this one. It's a good option but not too impressed. So many great IPAs out there that this isn't on my wants list

3.65/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.75/5  rDev +26.3%

3.75/5  rDev -0.3%

3.25/5  rDev -13.6%

3.56/5  rDev -5.3%

2.75/5  rDev -26.9%

4.76/5  rDev +26.6%

2.92/5  rDev -22.3%

Like drinking an evergreen forest.

3.36/5  rDev -10.6%