1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Ranger - New Belgium Brewing

RangerRanger

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: brownbeer on 12-30-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ranger Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,712 | Reviews: 1,108 | Show All Ratings:
oberon

4.1/5  rDev +8.5%

I have had mixed feelings about the last few New Belgium brews I have had lately,this is a clear winner in my book.Poured into a standard pint glas a clear medium golden with tight formed 1/2 finger white head that left shotty lace as it settled into an almost creamy mass.Nice shot of the Simcoe hops in the nose,sharp and citric, with a little herb.Flavors are well balanced at first with pine and citric hop melding well with a hefty caramel base,a big shot of sharp herbal leafiness hits in the finish.I think a very well rounded IPA with a alot of different hop components going on.

02-03-2010 22:32:56 | More by oberon
Docer

3.45/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12oz. single bottle purchased to try.

- Light clear copper, golden amber.... little to no head... just a ring and some floaties.

- Fresh sweet hops... bit citrusy, fruity, grassy.... and sweet again. Caramel, thin pale backing....

- Certainly a hoppy brew... crisp, clear, and citrusy... light sweet caramel malts... bit simple, but certainly a world of hop flavors.

- Light bodied... little chewy and dry... overall sweet and sticky.

- Great drinkability.. but not really that great for the style. I am used to a bready, not-so-sweet IPA. Its good though... and I am sure would be nice to have a pint or two on tap.

02-03-2010 22:27:34 | More by Docer
HopEnforcer

Oregon

3.78/5  rDev 0%

A: Golden and clear; strong pilsner malt base. Half an inch of white head that quickly dissipates and leaves a very small amount of lacing.

S: Dominated by a fresh hop aroma: More floral than citrusy.

T: Very crisp, with a moderate amount of bitterness and fairly strong floral & citrusy hop presence.

M: Somewhat light and dry mouthfeel with an appropriate level of carbonation.

D: Good drinkability. I could certainly drink more than one, but it wouldn't be my first pick, in terms of an IPA.

02-03-2010 19:01:37 | More by HopEnforcer
beertunes

3.53/5  rDev -6.6%

The first pint, from the first keg, of this new brew to be poured in Whatcom County. Served in straight pint glass. Poured a clean, clear light gold color with a white head that had medium retention and OK lacing.

The aroma was dominated by floral and hop scents. The beer had a much bolder smell than I was expecting. The flavors were also very hop forward, with some citrus flavors joining the floral and pine components. There wasn't much of a malt foundation to support those hops though.

The body and drinkabilty were both average for the style. Overall, this was a very decent beer, much better than I expected from this brewery. Certainly worth your time.

02-02-2010 20:49:18 | More by beertunes
Hopnobbin

3.4/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pretty good....mild for an ipa, not very hoppy.

Golden ale look, good drinkability, smooth finish. Slightly hoppy with creamy end-note. Solid, would probably try again.

Would be good as a starter ipa for those just trying this style. The mildness will ease your palate to the stouter ipas.

Hopefully future batches from New Belgium will be hoppier, i'd make me happier!

02-02-2010 15:17:34 | More by Hopnobbin
bcm119

4.5/5  rDev +19%

Light copper colored, good clarity, fine white head with some lace.

Green, fresh hop cone nose, with some underlying bready malt. Flavors are bright, with lemony, minty hops coming through uninhibited by much malt sweetness. The malt profile is lean and biscuit-like, and stays in the background. Bitterness is clean and refined; mouthfeel is smooth and silky with fine carbonation. The green hop flavors integrate perfectly with the slightly doughy malt, resulting in a clean, bright, balanced IPA. Clearly one of the finest IPAs being made today, and from a brewery large enough to offer consistency, value and availability. A staple of mine.

02-02-2010 04:58:53 | More by bcm119
unHipHopHead

4.03/5  rDev +6.6%

UPDATE!
Either I underestimated this beer the first time around or they upped the anty because this beer now seems very hoppy and it also hops to it with the alcohol.

Regardless, I am liking the taste of the hop balance they have here, its a seriously lingering flavor that I can get behind. The hops hit you up front and then the mild malty balance comes in and the hops continue through the finish just like I'd expect from a good West Coast IPA.

The hop taste is unexpected from NB and I'm glad that they stepped outside their comfort zone (as they are with a lot of brews lately) because this is a great every day hop lovers beer.

---

a: poured on the darker side, looks like a lager. the seemingly sturdy head faded fast and completely dissipated in a matter of seconds.

s: hints of pine, hints of grass, malt/minerals

t: not very bitter at all, one dimensional hop taste... mostly on the piney side. The hops are chauffeured both on the introduction and the followup by the usual New Belgium malt taste.

m: after the hops fade there is too much mineral quality that lingers, almost like i drank a San Pellegrino mineral water.

d: I'm not sure I could drink this in place of other IPA's.

In terms of NB's beers, they probably listed it #4 on their explorer list for a reason... the wit, abbey and trippel are all better attempts.

I will try the Ranger again for the sake of fairness but so far I would only buy it if it was one of the few IPA's to choose from.

02-01-2010 21:41:34 | More by unHipHopHead
Tdizzle

3.63/5  rDev -4%

A- Poured into an Allagash stemmed glass, Ranger IPA pours a clear gold color with a frothy head of white foam that has fairly good retention as it settles to a rocky layer over the beer. A thick ring along the inside of the glass leaves some solid lacing behind.

S- There are fresh-cut grassy and floral hop aromas with a minimal amount of grainy cracker-like malts in the background. A good swirl is needed to bring the smell to life.

T- The taste is moderately bitter with some pithy, plant-like middle flavors. There aren't a lot of balancing malts to cut how "green" the taste is. The finish is very dry and leaves a light hop bitterness and more grassy flavors lingering on the palate.

M- A medium-bodied mouthfeel with active carbonation bubbles. The texture borders on having a lush, almost oily quality to it, but it falls short with a slightly watery finish.

D- This is a fairly light IPA with loads of grassy hop flavors that would fare well on a hot summer day. It's not a great beer, but I would definitely buy this again to bring to a BBQ or to keep around for friends and family to try.

02-01-2010 04:43:40 | More by Tdizzle
bonsreeb85

Colorado

2.83/5  rDev -25.1%

My New Belgium snifter is filled 3/4 with golden colored brew with noticable active carbonation and a nice 2 finger foamy head that fills the other 1/4 of the glass. It eventually reduces to a sticky layer of film that rests on top.

The nose is that of citrus/piney and floral hops with a lot of biscuity malt. Also very noticable is the spicy 'vegetable like' smell that I despise.It always reminds me of celery or veggie soup stock. gross!

Too bicuity for my likeing. Pine and citrus hops are strong but this beer lacks character.

Medium light body, neither sticky or oily.

Middle of the road beer, nothing impessive about this one. Way too many other good IPAs to go back to this one. Sorry New Belgium.

02-01-2010 02:13:08 | More by bonsreeb85
Brettster

3.38/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured from a bottle. This poured a golden color with a white head. This was a typical New Belgum beer to me, not always a bad thing. I have not had a lot of their products but they seem to lack complexity. To me it just was not hoppy enough for an IPA. It still was very smooth and easy drinking. I will try it again.

01-31-2010 03:08:19 | More by Brettster
revolution

Wisconsin

3.5/5  rDev -7.4%

A - golden/light copper color with large bubbles and a small, 1/4" creamy head
S - very nice hop aroma dominates, makes you smile, slight citrus fruit then pleasant grassy odor
T - initial hint of malty sweetness then quickly overtaken by the bitter, hop flavor. finish seems a bit acidic.
M - more full mouthfeel than expected. medium-bodied, significant carbonation, warmth of the alcohol comes through slightly and more so with the finish
D - very pleasant hop aroma and a taste that invites you back for more. an ipa on the somewhat lighter side, though.

01-31-2010 03:07:54 | More by revolution
BuckeyeOne

3.18/5  rDev -15.9%

Poured a 12 oz. bottle into an Nonic pint glass. A typical New Belgium straw color with a large head and plenty of carbonation. Surprised at the color, frankly. Was expecting an orangish amber, typical of the IPA.

I must say this beer had very little aroma. No pine, no citrus, no biscuity malt even. Smelled like a lager.

I would not call this a hoppy beer at all. Maybe I'm just used to the San Diego-style overly hopped IPA and DIPA. But, this didn't taste like an IPA to me. More like a tame pale ale. Definitely tasted the New Belgium yeast strain. This is definitely a New Belgium beer. Unmistakeable.

The carbonation was good. Gave it an above average mouthfeel. If I forget the mislabelling of calling this an IPA, this would be good on a hot summer day sitting around the BBQ pit. I could put a few away. But, given the number of good, reasonably priced West Coast IPAs that I have access to, I doubt I'll spend my money on this.

01-31-2010 02:19:09 | More by BuckeyeOne
jsh420

4.28/5  rDev +13.2%

best before july 2010

pours bright golden orange with a big 2+ finger pillowy head that had great retention

smell is nice and light floral grapefruit and other citrus hops

taste is much like the nose - this ipa is not overpowering my taste buds - clean floral citrus hops with a light malt backbone

mouthfeel is light crisp yet smooth and creamy - the perfect amount of carbonation

drinkability - this has session ipa written all over it - and it has the taste to back it up to boot

01-31-2010 01:13:59 | More by jsh420
froghop

3.53/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours a clear pale orange-yellow with a large white head, and good lacing.

smell is of grapefruit, hops, malt, citrus, some floral notes, and some caramel.

taste is smooth, citrus, hops, and dandelion, ends a little tangy on the tongue and nicely bitter.

01-30-2010 21:50:55 | More by froghop
JohnGalt1

Idaho

4.03/5  rDev +6.6%

12oz single picked up today at the COOP... Poured into my Delirium goblet.. 2 finger head dies slowly leaving nice sheets of lacing... the brew is dark gold with hints of orange.

Nose has a nice mix of grapefruit.. citrus.. and good herb.. lite pale maltiness..

Good bitterness out of the gate.. all the above hop flavors with just enough sorta bready malty essence... pretty damn dry on the finish with a sorta catty hoppiness that lingers for a bit... Medium body with an effervescent yet mild carbonation...

I am surprised I liked this one as much as I did... but I have a question, is there a "house" malt that New Belgium uses in alot of it's beer... sorta toasty... biscuity.. etc.... I get it pretty heavy in Fat Tire... I would guess a Biscuit or maybe Victory malt.

Anyway... this was pretty nice.

4.5/4/4/4/4

01-30-2010 04:28:44 | More by JohnGalt1
Dukeofearl

4.43/5  rDev +17.2%

22 ounce bomber from LaBodega in Riverside, CA in late January 2010. I hadn't heard of this one before, but let's give it a go!

Pours a pretty golden color with lots of head anda steady carbonation keeping it active.

Floral, light juniper oils, and orange peel in the aroma, followed up by a stronger version in the flavor- well played.

Easily drinkable- almost too drinkable. A very nice example of a US version of the fabled IPA, not too heavy, but solidly built. Recommended.

01-30-2010 02:51:43 | More by Dukeofearl
dbossman

Nebraska

4.13/5  rDev +9.3%

A: Clear and gold; a nice slow forming, steady head with great retention and nice lacing

S: Strong blend of hops: citrus rind, grapefruit, subtle pine characteristics; this is a fresh hoppy dominated smell but a subtle grain quality is present as well

T: Nice bitterness up front, pine quality dominates but there is another subtle spice/ herb quality prevalent that I can't quite pinpoint

F: Pretty even, balanced mouth feel

D: A very drinkable and delicious hoppy, American IPA

01-30-2010 02:00:11 | More by dbossman
dubinsky

4.38/5  rDev +15.9%

Hmmmm, i am honestly, pleasantly surprised. When i saw that NB was doing an IPA i was not sure it would come out well since they have their style, but its actually really good.

It pours a a clear medium orange/gold color with a thin foamy head. Nice lacing.

Smells of a large bouquet of floral hop spiciness, citrus, pine, the usual IPA stuff. I didn't sense much maltiness or alcohol smell from this beer. Its hoppy, but not pungent/in your face. I would think someone who is not used to or someone who likes IPA smells may actually find this pleasant.

The taste was hoppy and citrusy and just bitter enough. Slightly sweet, smooth finish. Unlike some other reviewers, i dont find it dry at all. Nice tasting burps, if that makes sense.

Very good mouth feel. Smooth rolling carbonation, slight bitterness. All that i like in IPA's.

I find this very drinkable, and session-able. depending on cost i can see this becoming a contender with Racer 5 for this style of beer. I will definitely buy and drink this again and again. Good work NB.

01-30-2010 01:49:58 | More by dubinsky
Bitterbill

Wyoming

3.93/5  rDev +4%

Bottle sampled at the Old Chicago. I had asked my server, Chelsea, for my tab and while I was finishing up a game of trivia, she brought this bottle over to me. A free sampler from the local distributor.

From my notes:

It was a crystal clear medium gold colour with about an inch of foam. Typical of NB beers, there was some nice lacing.

The smell had a lot of floral hop spiciness with a touch of biscuit malt in the background. The hops did dominate in a big way.

The taste was spicy, hoppy, and some sweetness from biscuit malt. I don't know, for an IPA this diden't hit my palate very well. And talk about dry. Wow. Usually dryness is a nice thing to have in an IPA and causes me to want more but the one bottle was all I wanted.

Fairly light bodied with medium carbonation.

Drinkability? Like I said, the one bottle was enough. This one isn't in my comfort range for the style at all and overall, not a very easy drinking beer.

Edit: April 27, 2010

I picked up a 22oz bottle to try this again and I'm glad I did. Nice hop flavours here with some grape fruitand pine and some nice grass. Malt is hiding in the background but does enough to make it noticed. Nice bitter and short aftertaste and makes this quite drinkable. I guess the last time I tried it my mood just wasn't right. Scores adjusted.

01-24-2010 17:45:16 | More by Bitterbill
illidurit

3.28/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass at around cellar temp. Golden color with a tinge of orange, fluffy off-white head. Aroma is immediately Simcoe, but its character is well-balanced with the other hops here. Sometimes Simcoe-heavy beers are catty but not this one. Candied grapefruit and some skunky weed, resin. I like this aroma quite a bit. Unfortunately it doesn't really translate into the flavor. Pale malt shines through up front, which is always a bad sign. The hops dominate the aroma but fade to an afterthought in the taste. Still I get a little citrus and a faint but distinct melon note. Nice long bitterness but also some astringency. Not a sweet beer at all, which is a good foundation for my ideal IPA, but the hops just never show up. Another victim of the laughable "well-balanced IPA" paradigm I guess. Dry finish, but again, in an astringent way. Easy to drink but uninteresting.

01-23-2010 04:08:32 | More by illidurit
BrewIndy

4.05/5  rDev +7.1%

Appearance: Decent amber color. A little bit of haze that is probably attributed to the dry hopping. Very little head poured out on this one but there is a small film on the top of it.

Smell: Hops up front. Very grassy and perhaps even floral smelling hops. Earthy as I'd expect to come out of New Belgium.

Taste: Much more of the floral from the hops hits you as you begin to sip this. The malt is absolutely evident in this one as well as there is a definite sweetness underneath. Perhaps it's just in my head, but many of the New Belgium beers have the same malt characteristics because this reminds me a bit of their 2 degrees below. The finish is bitter and spicy. It leaves a feeling that's I would describe as peppery. Not that it tastes like pepper but that's how I'm reminded.

Mouthfeel: I'm always looking for a good balance of bitter spicy feel and creaminess in my IPA's and this brew isn't too far off. I'd be interested in trying this on draft. Still, as far as IPA's go this one is about normal when it comes to this category.

Drinkability: The malt throws me off on this one as I'm not a fan but the blend of hops makes up for it. I could, and will, drink several of these. If you're a hop head you can count on this one to satisfy you. If you're just breaking into the hoppy beers this is still one you'd want to try.

01-23-2010 01:23:01 | More by BrewIndy
jwillcourt

4.15/5  rDev +9.8%

Served on tap into a pint glass.

A - Clear, straw-gold color with a steady stream of bubbles. Finger-sized, bone-white head that disappears in a few minutes but resurrects quickly with a swirl of the glass. Leaves sticky lacing down the glass.

S - Strong smell of fresh floral, grassy and pine hops. The citrus hops emerge after a few minutes. The hops are very fresh and fragrant. I can smell them in my nose as I hold the beer in my mouth. There is a little toasted malt, but this is really about the hops.

T - Taste follows the smell and with a strong, fresh floral hops. The hops are strong but mellow, more floral and spicy than bitter. There is also that sweet, biscuit malt taste. They are well balanced. It tastes like Fat Tire malt combined with Sierra Nevada Estate Harvest and Wet Harvest hops (at least, how I remember those hops).

M - Medium bodied. Feels wet and not sticky. It is light for the style, but pleasant.

D - Very drinkable. Hop smell and taste is strong, and would satisfy hop heads, is also mellow/fresh and not overwhelming or bitter. I could drink several of these.

01-22-2010 04:04:28 | More by jwillcourt
eyncognito

Wisconsin

3.98/5  rDev +5.3%

bottle supplied to me as a sample-thank you.

bottle pours an attractive and incredibly clear golden beer, 1 solid finger of white head which produces some lacing. really stunning. this beer already supplants some of my so-so feelings towards new belgium-while i'm not a hater, they make well-crafted beers. they just seldom wow me. this beer has me at hello. aroma is less impressive, but well executed nonetheless. a blend of grassy and citrus hops kicks things off-mostly grapefruit, mild pine, and sweet green grass, followed by a gentle, sugary malt. nothing earth shattering, but quality and pleasing.

flavor is about as solid as the aroma. a clean and sweet new belgium malt, that is light, crackery and moderately sugary, follows a mix of grapefruit and pine flavored hops. incredibly gentle, unassuming, but hits all the IPA signatures. again, nothing to rave about, but well executed. body is on the the extreme light end of medium bodied. it could stand some oompf on this end-perhaps. part of the appeal is in how smooth, gentle, and unassuming this IPA is.

quite drinkable. i only have a 12oz. pour and yet i can easily see into the future. this could easily be a starter for the novice who wants a solid, well-crafted IPA, but may be frightened by a more assertive and bitter offering. this beer screams session if an IPA should truly be sessioned.

01-21-2010 05:50:42 | More by eyncognito
harlanhu28

Arizona

4.83/5  rDev +27.8%

I picked this up at whole foods fresh off the truck.. Looking at the bottle there is a unfiltered cloudiness in the lower 1/3 of the bottle.. While pouring I noticed quite a strong floral hop aroma very impressed in this from NB.. The first taste was exceptional there was three levels of of flavor, from instant bite to a strong malt in the middle, then a bitter finish.. Overall very impressed in NB for this one they made it thier way with thier own malt and house yeast.. A

01-15-2010 15:31:46 | More by harlanhu28
alleykatking

4.15/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured out of 12oz bottle. Live review for once!

A- Pours a semi-hazy golden straw color. Nice one and a half finger white head that dies down rather quickly. Skirted lacing as I drank away.

S- Nice citrusy hops in the front of this beer (pineapple upfront). Lighter sweet biscuty caramel malts in the backend of this.

T- First off let me say there is that New Belgium "malt" in there. I don't know how to describe it but I could pick this out of a blind test for being New Belgium because of that taste. Anyways, other than that nice big citrus hops in the front end of this. Bigger citrus flavors like pineapple and the like than what the aroma brings on. There is a light bitterness in the back end of this beer which I expected and balances it out for the most part. Light sugary taste as well from the citrus hops in the middle to tail end of this beer.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style. Nice citrusy hops left on the palate and in the aftertaste. Light hop resin left on the teeth and tongue as well. Clean tasting throughout the entire beer. Nice mouthfeel.

D- This is a very drinkable IPA. To be honest I am quite shocked that it is from New Belgium. I can only hope this is a new trend with them. Good IPA for people who love Fat Tire and know nothing else of craft beer. This could be my go to IPA if the cash flow is low.

01-13-2010 04:41:22 | More by alleykatking