Ranger - New Belgium Brewing

Ranger
No picture uploaded.

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: brownbeer on 12-30-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ranger Alström Bros

3.41/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served from a 22 oz bottle into a tulip, this brew pours a light copper with a thin white head, and a vigorous carbonation release. The head has good lacing; clinging to the glass throughout the drink.

The smells coming from this beer are initially that of grapefuit and cereal grains, though the hop aroma also has notes of sweet syrupy resin.

This brew's tastes are initially sweet and peppery, with a bitter pine and citrus flavor. Sweet barley syrup and a carbonic acid spice remain in the background. This is a pretty solid IPA.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with a prickly texture. Overall, this is a brew I would buy again.

3.64/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

poured from a bottle into a newcastle glass.

A-light amber, nice frothy head that dissipates slowly leaving tons of lacing on the glass. clear, nice looking IPA.

S- Pine, citrus, hops. smells good. not too much sweetness in there. A little bit of orange peel present, leaning more towards ruby red grapefruit peel.

T- Initial citrus hop flavor, followed by the faintest of sweetness that dissipates almost instantly into a dry, pine-like bitterness that lingers on the tongue. Resin stays around between drinks. It's not your typical West coast IPA. It does well at mimicking every IPA while at the same time tasting relatively unique. I can see this appealing to many IPA fans, while not blowing any of them away. No negative flavors, just solid beer like New Belgium frequently does. Not blown away, however....

M- wet....of course. starts creamy and goes into a dry bitterness. quite a contrast from the beginning to the end of a drink. A great study of contrast.

O- I find this beer on clearance regularly at my local bottle shop, and I am happy that I do. It is a very good everyday drinking IPA. I prefer it over many IPA's and PA's out there. I am amazed at how bitter this simple IPA can come across on some days, and on other days taste much sweeter. Obviously, my palate is the variable, but it is impressive to me, none-the-less. A solid, relatively-unique look at an IPA.

4.5/5  rDev +19.7%

3.86/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I’ve been trying some new IPAs lately, I came across this at a local shop so I decided to give it a try.

A: Poured a clear golden color, light carbonation bubbles are present. Head poured a fluffy two fingers (maybe a bit more) and died down to about a single finger within a minute leaving a bubbly lace on the glass.

S: The beer smelly lightly of pine, perhaps a bit herbal. The beer smells very crisp and refreshing.

T: Nothing jumps out after the initial sip except for a slight bitter rush with some pine flavor. The flavors and bitter sensations seem very well rounded as the beer is sipped. There is a lingering but smooth bitter finish that reminds me of a weak citrus peel flavor.

M: This beer has a fairly light body and feels very lively in my mouth. There is medium carbonation which feels very pleasant. As the beer warms up, the pine flavor seems to come through more.

O: I find this beer very refreshing and enjoyable. I did not notice any overpowering flavors, everything seemed to go down fairly smoothly with two different bitter sensations at the front end and back end. For $2.99 I definitely can not complain, I'd definitely pick this up again.

4.5/5  rDev +19.7%

4.25/5  rDev +13%

2.6/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Bought in a bottle and poured into a glass. (my first IPA)

Appearance- Poured a nice golden color with a thick head of foam that eventually turned into lace the length of the glass

Smell- Very strong, but I expected that reading the type description and history for IPAs ( concentrated for long shipment) Smelled a lot like pine sol/ potpourri and a little citrus?

Taste- Initial Taste was overwhelming for me, again pine sol and potpourri, (could not taste any of the citrus I smelled) but somehow each little sip was more tolerable than the last.

Overall- I guess not I was not ready for this type of beer, having only expanded out from the mass produced adjunct lagers a short time ago. I guess of you have already tried a lot of beers and know you like pine flavors, this would be awesome, but I am still trying to figure out my palate and this was not appealing to it. I will read more about IPAs in general to find out if this is typical of the style before purchasing another. It was nice to have a beer with flavor. The strong taste would have been awesome had the overwhelming flavor not been a pine cone and grass.

4.16/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Had on-tap at Avenue Pub New Orleans and was infused in-house with Cascade hops. Served in a cask-style glass.

A- Pours a medium amber color with a 3/4 inch off-white head that retains very well before becoming a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a full sheet of surface foam. Resilient lacing leaves a thick jagged ring behind on the glass. Small hop particles are noticed in the body.

S- Aroma has a big pop of grassy Cascade that's also a bit musky.

T- Flavor doesn't have quite as much hop character but it's indeed smooth and balanced with a decent malt backbone. Drinkable and mildly bitter.

M- Soft and fluid (a positive type of watery) with medium-low carbonation and a medium body.

O- While the Cascade infusion definitely amped up the aroma, the flavor is pretty much just standard Ranger.

Ranger from New Belgium Brewing