Ranger - New Belgium Brewing

pDev: 13%
New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: brownbeer on 12-30-2009

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ranger Alström Bros
3.71/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Consumed 3/22/13

Note: I picked up a bomber of this from a little shop across from the street from my hotel in San Francisco. Why? Because I drank a sixer of Deschutes Mirror Pond within 24 hours of buying it and I was out of beer. The hotel staff probably thinks I'm an alcoholic. Win.

Appearance: Pours crystal clear, a light caramel color - somewhere between amber and gold - nicely sized, slightly off-white head - leaves some impressive lacing

Smell: Decidedly on the mild side - hoppy, but not particularly potent - orange and grapefruit - mostly peel and pith, a touch oily - a hint of lemon as well - some pine - nicely bready base, pale and some caramel

Taste: A bit more interesting than the smell, and nicely balanced - hoppy, mostly in a pithy, oily way - some resinous pine - actually more bitter than I anticipated, and the bitterness sticks around thanks to the oily character (not a bad thing) - malts are light; they smelled balanced, but in the taste, the hops overpower the pale, bready, crackery malts - some earthiness as well

Mouthfeel: Medium body, nice carbonation, oily aftertaste

Overall: Interesting and drinkable

I'm not a huge fan of the hop profile, as it reminds me of some big, burly DIPAs. However, this doesn't have a big, sweet malt profile. So I actually find it charming in an unexpected way. While I'll be less excited to have this again compared to some other New Belgium offerings, I'll definitely drink this again when it's available on the East Coast.

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

Decided to review this beer after incrementally inching its rating upward the more I tried it. I think I finally got a fresh batch and drank it in the right setting - by itself and over a period where it could warm slightly.

This beer is delicious - strong hops on the nose and palate, then that trademark New Belgium bread/cracker taste. Good body and mouthfeel, and a clean finish.

Add to it that you get three in the latest NB can variety packs and I'm sold.

3.93/5  rDev +4.2%

Yet another beer that I picked up while in Arizona, also at the massive Total Wine that was a few miles away from where I was staying. Thankfully, this was one of the plethora of bottles available as a single and I wanted to give it a go before I came home. No doubt that this was one of the more mellow and accessible IPA's that I've had in a while, since it wasn't a hop-bomb and didn't truly feel like a West Coast brew. It was certainly typical of the style and had I bought more, I would have downed a few more in my session since it was easy to enjoy and savor.

The pour to this was a fairly deep amber with a good head and lacing to match. This was clear either, as there was enough of a haze to be seen but not to make this completely cloudy. As for the aroma, it was a bit skunky, but on the level of the Green Flash beers and not a "skunk" like a European Light Lager. The hops were strong on grapefuit and were of an earthy nature. Not a very strong bit here and or burn in the aftertaste while the booze was hardly detectable at all, even though it was certainly present in this beer.

Such a shame I was only in the Grand Canyon State for 6 days, as I would have had a few more of these. This was floral enough not to be bold and balanced enough to feel more like a Pale Ale, but the slight buzz that I felt at the end reminded me that this was indeed an IPA. While not the best of its kind that I had, this would be perfect in the Summer when something just a bit stronger than a "lawnmower beer" would be called for. Certainly, this would be a great introduction to the style for a neophyte.

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%